Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I [Archive] - Page 4 - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Rbenton
10-18-2009, 11:08
Send some up this way. :whistling:

Haha, they just started getting a good stock, people would come and buy all the ammo within 2 hours of it hitting the shelves. They started limiting sales per person per day, and started getting more in.

Get the store number and post it, along with the managers name. Post the date and time that this happened. There will more than likely be about 400 P/O'ed emails to W*M by tomorrow morning and you're problem will get fixed ASAP. :devilish:

The store number was: Super Center #1392 on Sigmon Road in Wilmington, NC. The assistant manager who kicked me out was "Ed", he would not give me his last name. It happened on 10/16/09 at roughly 10:15am.

toshbar
10-20-2009, 21:26
I'm 18 and open carry on days when I go target shooting or out in the woods to check on family land. Never had a problem, but often get friendly questions about the laws governing carrying a pistol. Some people gawk more than others.

Skyline44512
10-26-2009, 17:44
I have my concealed handgun license, a Taurus PT140 with a shoulder holster and a G23 with an IWB. I tried carrying my Glock 23 today in a Serpa Blackhawk Level II just to do my errands (grocery store, Walmart, and mailbox at my townhouse). I'm wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a polo tucked in. I live in NW Ohio a little south of Toledo. I'm comfortable/confident carrying a firearm openly as I carry an M9 frequently when I'm in uniform.

I started walking to the mailbox and waved to my nervous looking neighbor. A little farther (it's about 1/3 mile to the mailbox) there was a kid several doors down getting into his car clearly staring at my gun, so I smiled and nodded to him. He returned the nod. I got my mail, walked back to my car, and drove to the grocery store right across the street. I got several odd looks but nothing to write about (except on this forum). I ran into a trumpet professor I had my freshman and sophomore year of college and asked me if I was a cop now. I explained that I'm just military police and this is my off-duty weapon. I'm not sure what level of comprehension there was. I shopped uneventfully except for a young child who pointed at me and alerted his mother who quietly said back to him that I was a policeman. I suppose that's the assumption that most people make. As I was barely within earshot I didn't feel the need to stop and correct her then explain it.

Walmart was pretty much the same and when I went to the back for some Blazer .40 S&W (only $14.95 a box!) a guy asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. Of course I unholstered it and handed it to him with one in the pipe. Well actually, I just said a Glock 23. We talked about hunting for a few minutes and I checked out up front by the doors. When I walked out there was a cop standing by the other entrance, which is a good distance away. To my surprise he not only noticed me but started walking towards me. I parked near by and instead of waiting to see what he had to say I got into my car and pulled out. He didn't yell anything but when I pulled out he turned around and started walking back. I'm not sure if he got on the radio and had someone try to intercept me but I didn't see any other cops on my way home.

I was told by a worker at Bass Pro while I was looking at handguns last week that he would never try to OC and he thought that if someone did they'd get arrested. I've never done it before out of uniform but I'm not sure I will again. I'm starting to suspect from that cop's reaction that the guy at Bass Pro is right. What do you all think? I've never seen anyone OC in Ohio, even though it's legal (with the exception of the open carry walks that the Buckeye Firearms Association did). I know a lot of you guys walk into places and pass someone else OCing but I have never seen it anywhere in OH, have you?

Jai9100
10-26-2009, 18:38
a guy asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. Of course I unholstered it and handed it to him with one in the pipe.

Umm, this is what made me a bit "weary" of your actions. Frankly, I would never had given anyone my pistol to look at with anything loaded in it. Even a seasoned pro, unless I knew him personally for years. Personal liability I guess.

If you have questions on OC, you can ask in the Carry Issues Forum, but I really don't want to post off the topic of OC experiences, so I'm going to leave it at that.
:zipmouth:

akgunnut
10-26-2009, 19:03
I have my concealed handgun license, a Taurus PT140 with a shoulder holster and a G23 with an IWB. I tried carrying my Glock 23 today in a Serpa Blackhawk Level II just to do my errands (grocery store, Walmart, and mailbox at my townhouse). I'm wearing jeans, tennis shoes, and a polo tucked in. I live in NW Ohio a little south of Toledo. I'm comfortable/confident carrying a firearm openly as I carry an M9 frequently when I'm in uniform.

I started walking to the mailbox and waved to my nervous looking neighbor. A little farther (it's about 1/3 mile to the mailbox) there was a kid several doors down getting into his car clearly staring at my gun, so I smiled and nodded to him. He returned the nod. I got my mail, walked back to my car, and drove to the grocery store right across the street. I got several odd looks but nothing to write about (except on this forum). I ran into a trumpet professor I had my freshman and sophomore year of college and asked me if I was a cop now. I explained that I'm just military police and this is my off-duty weapon. I'm not sure what level of comprehension there was. I shopped uneventfully except for a young child who pointed at me and alerted his mother who quietly said back to him that I was a policeman. I suppose that's the assumption that most people make. As I was barely within earshot I didn't feel the need to stop and correct her then explain it.

Walmart was pretty much the same and when I went to the back for some Blazer .40 S&W (only $14.95 a box!) a guy asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. Of course I unholstered it and handed it to him with one in the pipe. Well actually, I just said a Glock 23. We talked about hunting for a few minutes and I checked out up front by the doors. When I walked out there was a cop standing by the other entrance, which is a good distance away. To my surprise he not only noticed me but started walking towards me. I parked near by and instead of waiting to see what he had to say I got into my car and pulled out. He didn't yell anything but when I pulled out he turned around and started walking back. I'm not sure if he got on the radio and had someone try to intercept me but I didn't see any other cops on my way home.

I was told by a worker at Bass Pro while I was looking at handguns last week that he would never try to OC and he thought that if someone did they'd get arrested. I've never done it before out of uniform but I'm not sure I will again. I'm starting to suspect from that cop's reaction that the guy at Bass Pro is right. What do you all think? I've never seen anyone OC in Ohio, even though it's legal (with the exception of the open carry walks that the Buckeye Firearms Association did). I know a lot of you guys walk into places and pass someone else OCing but I have never seen it anywhere in OH, have you?

This is one of the most irresponsible things anyone can do as an armed citizen. If a person asks you what kind of gun you're carrying, just tell them, don't unholster it and hand it to them ESPECIALLY with it fully loaded. That is a good way to get yourself shot and your gun stolen from you. In many states doing that is considered brandishing and could get you in serious trouble. Wal-Mart also attracts many soccer moms and pansy guys who are against guns, don't fuel their flame by acting irresponsible.

Jai9100
10-26-2009, 19:07
a guy asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. Of course I unholstered it and handed it to him with one in the pipe. Well actually, I just said a Glock 23.

Wait, were you making a joke? Cause it's really not obvious enough. :faint::dunno:

Brian Lee
10-26-2009, 19:10
If you re-read his post, I think the guy was joking about handing someone his gun.

His next sentence after the remark about handing over the gun:
"Well actually, I just said a Glock 23."

I'm sure he enjoyed the flame job though.

Mainsail
10-26-2009, 19:10
Wait, were you making a joke? Cause it's really not obvious enough. :faint::dunno:

I know! I almost choked on my whiskey and busted a cap in my TV when I was dry firing!

shaffer
10-26-2009, 20:09
Actually it was obvious enough...

akgunnut
10-26-2009, 20:30
Ok I misread that, I apologize Skyline44512, please forgive me. I just get riled up when people say and do irresponsible things when it comes to guns. I also tend to misread things a lot.

Skyline44512
10-27-2009, 12:13
This is one of the most irresponsible things anyone can do as an armed citizen. If a person asks you what kind of gun you're carrying, just tell them, don't unholster it and hand it to them ESPECIALLY with it fully loaded. That is a good way to get yourself shot and your gun stolen from you. In many states doing that is considered brandishing and could get you in serious trouble. Wal-Mart also attracts many soccer moms and pansy guys who are against guns, don't fuel their flame by acting irresponsible.

Me- "Well actually, I just said a Glock 23." Of course I wouldn't unholster!! Yes, it was a joke. That's why I said with one in the pipe, to make it even more ridiculous and hopefully more obvious that I was kidding.

Skyline44512
10-27-2009, 12:15
I literally laughed out loud reading the angry replies.

Worth it...

RussP
10-27-2009, 13:25
Ok I misread that, I apologize Skyline44512, please forgive me. I just get riled up when people say and do irresponsible things when it comes to guns. I also tend to misread things a lot.Again, people, this is NOT the thread to discuss open carry. This is definitely not the thread to berate another member.

I strongly suggest that EVERYONE read every post carefully before making a response.

No more of this crap. :steamed:

AZMAN
10-27-2009, 16:39
Actually it was obvious enough...

Very obvious

WCrawford
10-28-2009, 01:32
My mother went in for surgery yesterday morning (Tuesday) at a local Nashville hospital, and I knew that the main hospital was not posted as a "gun free zone" (not even a non-legally enforceable sign).

So, as per my usual, I open carried.

I got two comments (and a few curious looks in the waiting room) in the entire 7 hour stay.

My first comment was when I was getting my car from the valet, in preparation to leave. A gentleman, about late 20s to mid 30s, asked me if I was a police officer. I stated that I was not, just a legally armed citizen. He asked if it was legal to carry in a hospital, and I said that hospitals were not one of the prohibited places. His only reply was, "Cool."

My second comment was when I was waiting for the vallet to bring my car. An elderly gentleman asked me, "Won't they arrest you for that?". I said, "No, the hospital isn't posted." He proceded to obviously crane his neck to look at a sign behind me, and I looked at the sign after a moment. Fearing I missed a legally worded posting, I read the sign, "Smoking is not allowed on this campus". I looked at the man and said, "I thought you were talking about the gun." He said, "Nah, they care more about someone smoking that someone with a gun."

I just had to laugh, and he joined in.

Wizz
10-30-2009, 16:06
I know! I almost choked on my whiskey and busted a cap in my TV when I was dry firing!

:rofl:

bamarammin87
11-07-2009, 07:51
I wish I had the balls to OC. I've only done it a few times out in the country. Open carry is legal in AL without a permit....but I think I'd still get busted for it, unless I worked at a pawn shop or gun store.

MedicOni
11-07-2009, 08:01
I wish I had the balls to OC. I've only done it a few times out in the country. Open carry is legal in AL without a permit....but I think I'd still get busted for it, unless I worked at a pawn shop or gun store.
You'd be suprised. Give it a try and just go about your normal business one day.

BlutoBlutarsky
11-14-2009, 11:50
I've only had/seen two incidents with open carry. The first happened when we were at a local Perkins restaurant, I was carrying mine in my IWB holster eating breakfast when an older man came in with his HK fullsize hanging in a kydex holster. He passed a table across form me where two college age girls were looking at the menu, as he passed both the girls looked wide eyed at his pistol and dropped their menus and left the place without a word. I just laughed and ate my meal. The second happened to me at the local Wallyworld. While not an open carry issue, I was carrying my 229 IWB, I bent down to pick up an item my daughter knocked of the shelf and my polo shirt hung on the grip exposing the pistol when I stood up. An employee of the place behind me noticed it an told me that while it was legal where we live, if any customer noticed it and complained, I would be ask to leave the store. Wallyworld has changed allot since ole' Sam passed away.

Mainsail
11-14-2009, 14:26
Wallyworld has changed allot since ole' Sam passed away.

I had an OC incident at Wal-Mart and was told by the assistant manager that firearms were not allowed. I contacted the regional manager who told me Wal-Mart's policy is to follow the laws of the state where the store is located, so open carry was acceptable. After all, if someone complained that a Mexican was in the store, would they throw him out? They also contacted the assistant manager and corrected him on store policy.

blackbirdzach
11-15-2009, 10:14
I open carry at work, but usually CC off duty. I've never had an issue while OC'ing and I don't look like a LEO. In fact, I look like a big retard. I've only been asked once for my Firearms License and the officer wanted my pistol to "run the numbers", but I told him no. He looked at my license and that was the end of it.

What I wear when CC'ing. An undershirt and a button up overshirt that conceals the gun.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/blackbirdzach/Goose%20Bath/P8120743.jpg

Anytime I'm out in the woods/hiking/walking/whatever...I OC like in the picture below. People are still just as friendly and open as they are if I'm CC'ing. It's not much of an issue around here.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/blackbirdzach/IMG_2224.jpg

bamarammin87
11-15-2009, 11:20
I open carry at work, but usually CC off duty. I've never had an issue while OC'ing and I don't look like a LEO. In fact, I look like a big retard. I've only been asked once for my Firearms License and the officer wanted my pistol to "run the numbers", but I told him no. He looked at my license and that was the end of it.

What I wear when CC'ing. An undershirt and a button up overshirt that conceals the gun.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/blackbirdzach/Goose%20Bath/P8120743.jpg

Anytime I'm out in the woods/hiking/walking/whatever...I OC like in the picture below. People are still just as friendly and open as they are if I'm CC'ing. It's not much of an issue around here.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i246/blackbirdzach/IMG_2224.jpg

I can't see the gun. Shoulder holster? I must be blind or somethin:wavey:

blackbirdzach
11-15-2009, 11:29
I can't see the gun. Shoulder holster? I must be blind or somethin:wavey:

Sorry, it's on the right side. Just wanted to show what I wear when I OC vs CC and also show that you don't have to wear a blue button up shirt, have a mustache, a crew cut and a pair of Oakleys to OC without getting harrased. :cool:

bamarammin87
11-15-2009, 11:31
Sorry, it's on the right side. Just wanted to show what I wear when I OC vs CC and also show that you don't have to wear a blue button up shirt, have a mustache, a crew cut and a pair of Oakleys to OC without getting harrased. :cool:

:thumbsup: Nice dogs too:wavey:

blackbirdzach
11-15-2009, 11:44
:thumbsup: Nice dogs too:wavey:

Thanks! They're a hoot!

TalkToTheGlock
11-15-2009, 19:15
Hey all!

Just thought I'd share my open carry experience with you guys on here that I had on Saturday.

My parents and I went to the Texas Roadhouse resturaunt yesterday near Harrisburg, PA yesterday. I usually conceal, but considering it was such a wonderfully nice day out, I figured what the hell.

We walked into Texas Roadhouse and grabbed a number and they told us it was going to be about 70-80 minute wait :crying:. So, in the meantime we hit the interstate and hit up Borders to grab some books and kill some time.

I was carrying my G17 in an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster. It felt weird to open carry in a public place, especially Borders. Walking through the doors and being greeted by an employee handing out flyers I thought I was going to get some flack or something. She didn't mention one word to me and told us to enjoy ourselves.

I sat down, had a coffee, read Car mag and bought "Biohazard" by Ken Alibek (Great book thus far, BTW. Anybody interested in Cold War Biological warfare, this book is amazing). Anyway, I checked out and when walking out the door, an LEO comes walking down the side walk. Not one word mentioned. Made me feel much better.

We then headed back to Texas Roadhouse and as soon as we entered the building, our number was called :dancing:. I still felt a bit weird as we were being seated. I headed back to the bathroom where I had to walk past tons of people and I could see people looking at me, although nothing said. Had a great Prime rib dinner, cheese fries, and an ice tea. :supergrin:

On the way home, stopped at a Sheetz to grab some smokes and then headed home.

Overall a good experience. Made me wonder how many people in TRH and Borders were CCW while I was open carrying. I wish there was this sort of secret look you can give to identify yourself. I will be open carrying more often and definetly feel more comfortable in doing so.

I suggest anyone who doesn't open carry and lives in a state that does, try it. It doesn't hurt.

Thanks for reading
Carry Safely!

Mainsail
11-15-2009, 19:18
You can't open carry in Texas! :homer:

;)

Resqu2
11-18-2009, 07:42
I hadn't posted here in a long time cause nothing ever happens while open carrying but this past weekend I was in a McDonald's waiting in line to use the restroom, after a good wait a little old man opened the stall door, had a real bad back and was walking with a cane all bent over about eye level with my Glock.

He smiled and looked up at me and with a grin said "Son, your not gonna shoot me with that gun are you?" I just returned his smile and said I have no reason to shoot you or anyone else with my gun. He chuckled and said that was good to know, he went on out the door.

POSTALAKA
11-21-2009, 21:07
I WISH WE HAD OPEN CARRY IN fl .. I HAVE ONLY CC SO OPEN WOULD BE A WEIRD FEELING ..

ImDaGlockinator!
11-22-2009, 12:17
I open-carry everyday here in AZ!
It's VERY rare that I get any negative comments.
I don't think most people even notice.
Oftentimes if they do, I get positive comments or questions about what model Glock I am carrying.
Which leads me to expound on how great the mighty Glock21 .45ACP is!
I do have a ccw,
but I make a point of exercising my right to open-carry
and provide "teachable-moments". :cool:

jstgsn
11-23-2009, 10:15
This happened in the early 80's, while I was in the Wilmington Police (Delaware) Detective Division, but it always stuck in my mind as an example of gun phobias. We did a felony car stop on a wanted person in an east side neighborhood. As it was a very hot day, we had left our sport and suit coats off, and after taking the suspect into custody, we stood between our unmarked vehicles, which had red and blue emergency equipment flasing, and the suspects vehicle. An assistant to the Mayor drove by and observed us standing there. We consisted of six police officers, both white and black, all with handcuffs, badges, holsters and guns, and extra ammo on our belts and walkie talkies in our hands.

The Mayor's assistant called the dispatch center to complain that we had our coats off and our weapons could be seen by the public, "and it may cause alarm". He then went to the Mayor with the same complaint. The next day an order came down, that all plain clothes officers had to wear coats or jackets to cover their weapons so as to not alarm the public. You can imagine our comments, and later the order was recinded.

Libralism and ignorance runs rampant. :dunno:

mnglocker
11-23-2009, 11:34
This happened in the early 80's, while I was in the Wilmington Police (Delaware) Detective Division, but it always stuck in my mind as an example of gun phobias. We did a felony car stop on a wanted person in an east side neighborhood. As it was a very hot day, we had left our sport and suit coats off, and after taking the suspect into custody, we stood between our unmarked vehicles, which had red and blue emergency equipment flasing, and the suspects vehicle. An assistant to the Mayor drove by and observed us standing there. We consisted of six police officers, both white and black, all with handcuffs, badges, holsters and guns, and extra ammo on our belts and walkie talkies in our hands.

The Mayor's assistant called the dispatch center to complain that we had our coats off and our weapons could be seen by the public, "and it may cause alarm". He then went to the Mayor with the same complaint. The next day an order came down, that all plain clothes officers had to wear coats or jackets to cover their weapons so as to not alarm the public. You can imagine our comments, and later the order was recinded.

I'm going off topic but this comment deserves a big +1.

<--- Glad I live in Wright County. We have gun racks in our trucks. :supergrin:

evomx5
11-30-2009, 07:35
I finally open carried to several places over the Thanksgiving holidays. Several trips to Home Depot, several trips to Kroger Grocery store and to one of the convenience stores. Also into Burger King. One guy in Burger King, sitting at a table seemed to notice but never said anything. Other than him, nobody noticed or said anything. There were several people around me at Home Depot as we were discussing my plumbing problem and nothing was said. I never saw any LE in my county, Henry County in Georgia, so I don't know what kind of reaction I would have gotten from them. But, nobody called to report me and now I feel a little better about OC.

_JR_
12-03-2009, 23:11
I finally open carried to several places over the Thanksgiving holidays. Several trips to Home Depot, several trips to Kroger Grocery store and to one of the convenience stores. Also into Burger King. One guy in Burger King, sitting at a table seemed to notice but never said anything. Other than him, nobody noticed or said anything. There were several people around me at Home Depot as we were discussing my plumbing problem and nothing was said. I never saw any LE in my county, Henry County in Georgia, so I don't know what kind of reaction I would have gotten from them. But, nobody called to report me and now I feel a little better about OC.

Hey you live were I live lol

Facejackets
12-13-2009, 14:07
According to Taco Bell, I am an armed robber lmao

Here is a story from last week I posted on my local firearms forum.

After going shooting a Lovell with a couple of friends, my girlfriend and I stopped at Taco Bell on Blue Diamond and Durango I think it was.

We both walked in and went right to the restrooms so they didn't really geta chance to see me.

I leave the restroom and walk out in the lobby and start looking at the menu and I called someone on my phone.

At that point like 4 workers huddled up together at the counter and are looking at me, but trying to act like they weren't.

My girlfriend walks past the counter and one of the guys says, "just give him the money, they can't fire you for it". LMAO

My girlfriend informs me on what they said and I start laughing. So I go up the counter and everyone walks away besides the kid who took my order, who didn't seem to concerned with me at all.

I bet they were all shocked when I paid for my order, ate it, and left without a problem.

MaximaDrvr
12-13-2009, 15:40
There was an OC dinner in Greensboro, NC with 9 people in attendance.
We had no problems at all. We had one guy come up and talk to us; aparently he carries as well, but just not OC.

stang1988
12-14-2009, 16:59
I live in North Carolina and open carry. Had a few run ins were people saw me and assumed i was the bad guy. The police are cool they check and make sure everything is legal and I am on my way. Only had one problem in a walmart were the manager yelled and screamed at me to get the **** out of his store called the distrist manager to report the cussing after that no more problems. The best part is people coming up and asking "IS THAT A REAL GUN"

Warp
12-14-2009, 18:16
I live in North Carolina and open carry. Had a few run ins were people saw me and assumed i was the bad guy. The police are cool they check and make sure everything is legal and I am on my way. Only had one problem in a walmart were the manager yelled and screamed at me to get the f@#$ out of his store called the distrist manager to report the cussing after that no more problems. The best part is people coming up and asking "IS THAT A REAL GUN"

I've only had one person ask anything like that. The sales woman helping us at a lazy boy store a year or so ago asked "Is that a gun?" after a couple of minutes.

Then when trying to sell the protection plan or whatever she said it would cover bullet holes, if it was an accident.

geez

RussP
12-14-2009, 19:48
...BTW, Im having a dj vu moment here, Im sure I posted this already.You did. It is clearly stated in Post #1 that this thread is not for general discussion of the contents of members' posts. Feel free to start a new thread in the main Carry Issues forum.

Diesel_Bomber
12-18-2009, 16:11
My OC story:

Was OC'ing while changing the belts in one of my cars today, they'd started squealing at startup. Car parked in my driveway, had the car doors open and the radio turned up. Neighbor comes over, convo goes:

Neighbor: Y'know that should be illegal, right?
Me: What? :upeyes:
Neighbor: Country music. :tongueout:

solomansousana
12-18-2009, 16:56
My OC story:

Was OC'ing while changing the belts in one of my cars today, they'd started squealing at startup. Car parked in my driveway, had the car doors open and the radio turned up. Neighbor comes over, convo goes:

Neighbor: Y'know that should be illegal, right?
Me: What? :upeyes:
Neighbor: Country music. :tongueout:

:rofl:LOL, I totally agree, it should be illegal:dunno:

PipesandGOP
12-21-2009, 00:44
I open carry everywhere I go when legal to do so. Basically gas stations/convenience stores (if they have a no firearms sign I don't go in), restaurants that don't serve alcohol, wal-mart and similar stores. The mall is off limits. I've never really had people give me any problems over it.. I'm generally a pretty upbeat guy anyway and always one to hold the door and stuff like that so I guess people don't really think much about it. Liberals at coffee shops do love to ask "Are you a cop???" and I quickly let them know I'm not.

I've been asked why I carry a few times. That question comes from people that can't tell you the vice president's name so there ya go. And I did have a clerk at a convience store I'm a regular at tell me it's a good thing she knew me because there would've been trouble... I just told her I'm glad there wasn't because unless she told me I couldn't carry in there or put a sign up, then there was no problem. I did make it a point to offer to leave if she wanted me to.

Main thing I've found if you wanna open carry is just don't make a thing out of it. Just go about your business and it's no big deal, be polite as always and your issues should be minimal. Not to mention it's a lot more comfortable OWB than IWB to me.

Captainns10
12-28-2009, 23:11
Quick open carry story from VA:

I currently work part time in a fancy Italian Restaurant while I'm finishing my undergrad. In VA it is illegal for cwp holders to conceal in places that serve alcohol so anyone with a firearm has to open carry in most restaurants and bars. However, I've never seen anyone carry at the restaurant that I work at. Last friday night it was pretty busy and as one of my tables was leaving I hear a woman who was getting up to walk out say "wow we could get shot in here" as she was walking by one of my tables. Naturally I was like "what the hell is she talking about" and much to my suprise I noticed a gentleman at one of my tables was open carrying. She deffinately overreacted... I thought it was pretty cool as I've been frequenting glock talk the past few weeks and have been reading open carry "tales" so I went up to the guy and talked to him about it. I told him it was nice to see someone oc once and awhile and we talked about what he was carrying, ect. In the end I got a 100% tip on $60 :cool:.

This experience led me to open carry for the first time the other night as I am anxiously awaiting my cwp. Went into a gas station, got gas and beer... No incident, no weird looks, or negative comments :supergrin:.

AZ Honkey
12-29-2009, 09:58
My friend and I had just finished a bit of hunting in Southern Arizona and went to grab a bite to eat at a local taco shop. My friend was open carrying his Springfield XP40 (I was carrying, but concealed). We didn't get any weird looks or comments until I commented on a woman's ASU hat as she walked out the door. She smiled and then said, 'why the gun, are you a cop?' to my friend. It surprised my friend and he just said, 'no, we were just out hunting'.

Had it been my question, I would have handled it a bit different. The lady looked concerned that a gun was being carried by a 'civilian'.

GoonGlock21
01-18-2010, 14:18
Last friday i was stopping in for my favorite fast food "4lbs of chipotle burrito" i guess that explains the 300 lbs of Goon LOL. I was stopped by a local officer "OH NO!" He asked if i opencarried my G21 everywhere, and i said yes. He said he wished everyone would open carry here in Va. it would make his job easier as a citizen with an openly seen firearm tends to diffuse 99% of all bad situations. He praised my chioce in Glock and OCing. i guess there are a few good leos out there.

MaximaDrvr
01-18-2010, 14:38
We had our Raleigh, NC monthly OC dinner. There were 8 of us in attendance for our meal at Panera Bread.
The manager came up to us and asked "if we had another chapter?" in greenville. He liked what we were doing and wanted more information.

Glock-it-to-me
01-18-2010, 14:58
You can't open carry in Texas! :homer:

;)

Sure you can. Get an SBR and open carry all you want.

mnglocker
01-18-2010, 16:07
Last friday i was stopping in for my favorite fast food "4lbs of chipotle burrito" i guess that explains the 300 lbs of Goon LOL. I was stopped by a local officer "OH NO!" He asked if i opencarried my G21 everywhere, and i said yes. He said he wished everyone would open carry here in Va. it would make his job easier as a citizen with an openly seen firearm tends to diffuse 99% of all bad situations. He praised my chioce in Glock and OCing. i guess there are a few good leos out there.

:thumbsup:

We had our Raleigh, NC monthly OC dinner. There were 8 of us in attendance for our meal at Panera Bread.
The manager came up to us and asked "if we had another chapter?" in greenville. He liked what we were doing and wanted more information.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sure you can. Get an SBR and open carry all you want.

:thumbsup::tbo:

Scott3670
01-18-2010, 18:09
Hello all,

I just joined this week and already have a comment on the OC topic. I live in West Virginia and have my ccw permit. Conveniently enough VA honors my permit, with one weird quirk. It seems that if I decide to go into a restaurant where they serve booze, I am not legally allowed enter while carrying a concealed firearm; however, open-carry is perfectly legal. I'm going to try this out later this week and will report back on what my experience was.

Oh, my gun of choice will be a Glock 26, which comes in on Wednesday. It will be my everyday carry gun.

solomansousana
01-19-2010, 09:52
Hello all,

I just joined this week and already have a comment on the OC topic. I live in West Virginia and have my ccw permit. Conveniently enough VA honors my permit, with one weird quirk. It seems that if I decide to go into a restaurant where they serve booze, I am not legally allowed enter while carrying a concealed firearm; however, open-carry is perfectly legal. I'm going to try this out later this week and will report back on what my experience was.

Oh, my gun of choice will be a Glock 26, which comes in on Wednesday. It will be my everyday carry gun.

That is indeed a quirky rule here in the GREAT COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA lol, no concealed carry ANYWHERE alcohol is served, but OC is perfectly legal so long as you do NOT order alcohol.

whoever
01-20-2010, 20:21
Open carried for the first time today. Two runs to HomeDepot in Central Phoenix for concrete/rebar/forms/etc... NOBODY noticed I was even carrying save MAYBE one guy on his way in while I was waiting in line. His eyes did seem to dart down to my hip, but literally no other indications people even knew that there was a .45 just hanging there. On a side note, a fully loaded G30 does tug on the belt a bit.

Hairy
01-21-2010, 08:23
No open carry in FL or NY :steamed:

viking42420
01-21-2010, 09:15
2 OC "encounters" with officers.

Once while motorcycle riding I stopped in a Pantry shop to grab a pack of smokes and a drink. While paying for the items I was approached by an officer who told me next time to leave my weapon in my vehicle (we have open carry here so I'm NOT required to leave it in my vehicle)...I motioned for him to come outside and he did, I pointed to the bike and asked "where exactly on that do you want me to leave it?" knowing if I did leave it on a motorcycle the weapon would be stolen very quickly "never mind" was his response.

One other time I was approached and asked "why" I was carrying, my response was "Because I can".

Both of these officers didn't seem to favor our states laws on OC but you know what?
Who cares how they feel about them...I can carry so I do.
We have CCW here now but at those times OC was all that was allowed.

dahahn
02-03-2010, 11:12
2 OC "encounters" with officers.

Once while motorcycle riding I stopped in a Pantry shop to grab a pack of smokes and a drink. While paying for the items I was approached by an officer who told me next time to leave my weapon in my vehicle (we have open carry here so I'm NOT required to leave it in my vehicle)...I motioned for him to come outside and he did, I pointed to the bike and asked "where exactly on that do you want me to leave it?" knowing if I did leave it on a motorcycle the weapon would be stolen very quickly "never mind" was his response.

One other time I was approached and asked "why" I was carrying, my response was "Because I can".

Both of these officers didn't seem to favor our states laws on OC but you know what?
Who cares how they feel about them...I can carry so I do.

If you're in MN you should invite these officers to the Open Carry Breakfast at the Gopher Bar in St. Paul. Their jaws would drop.

Thorazine
02-03-2010, 12:34

Both encounters could have went a lot worst.

What state are you from?

mnglocker
02-03-2010, 12:36
If you're in MN you should invite these officers to the Open Carry Breakfast at the Gopher Bar in St. Paul. Their jaws would drop.

April 3rd, 2010, 9am is the next OCB. $10 for the buffet, coffee, tea and juice included. Other libations and coneys are extra. Cash only.

oISHUTupNrocKIo
02-04-2010, 20:25
TBH, I would only open carrying when fishing up the mountain because I need a big, big round for bears, and a big round means a big barrel and very uncomfortable IWB carry (i.e. Ruger Super Redhawk). I love the Galco Leather DAO (Dual Action Outdoorsman) holster for the Ruger.

Goodspeed(TPF)
02-10-2010, 14:09
Went to my local Starbucks today with my teenage daughter. As I live in WI we have no legal CC so I am forced to OC. It's cold and snowy here today so I had to find a "short" winter jacket to keep from accidentally concealing my weapon. I ended up wearing my High School "Letter" jacket. I was amazed it even fit. :supergrin: I wore my Glock-19 on my firing side in an Uncle Mikes plastic open top along with 2 spare mags and my Surefire on my support side.

There were three other people present, two customers and one clerk. I stood in line behind a middle aged woman while my daughter found us a booth to sit at. As the woman moved down to wait for her order I placed mine. Paid in CA$H and went to sit with my daughter in the booth while I waited for our order. Two more customers enter and one leaves. They call our order, I pick it up and sit back down and my daughter and I have an enjoyable conversation about States other than WI that don't have snow and frigid temperatures. Brr, it's cold today.

We finished our drinks and prepare to head to Woodmans to pick up some much needed groceries. As we were walking out I caught an older man sitting near the door reading the paper and giving me the biggest nastiest stink eye I ever did see. I noticed that his paper was different than mine so I smiled as politely as I could and asked him if he wanted my paper to read as I was finished with it. I think this really caught him off guard as he stumbled for a "Nuh, nuh no thank-you." I said "Have a great day" as we walked out the door and he said "You too." Overall it was uneventfull, as it should be.

As I live in WI we're NOT allowed to carry in our vehicle so I have to unload and case my weapon in the parking lot before driving over to Woodmans for our groceries. When we get there I uncase my weapon in the parking lot, load it and holster it. We spent about an hour in Woodmans gathering what we needed and head out. Not one person said a thing the whole time. Again, before leaving the parking lot I have to unload and case my weapon before driving back home.

All in all it was a good day, again. -Goodspeed :wavey:

seagravedriver
02-19-2010, 13:58
Noticed my first OCr today in a hardware store in a smaller town well south of Seattle. Average looking dude with his son. I had to get something from my truck, so I ended up following him for a few in the store. NO ONE in the store batted an eye, patron or employee. Spoke to him briefly outside, complimenting him, did my business, we both checked out and all was good. Kinda made me feel like an idiot for CCing while he was OC. Good on him, and the store.

MaximaDrvr
02-21-2010, 17:58
Had our monthly OC dinner in Raleigh at 5 Guys (burger place)
We had 15 people in attendance. We had a couple of positive conversations with patrons, and no negative comments/experiences.

mtnglocker
02-22-2010, 07:03
This happened in the early 80's, while I was in the Wilmington Police (Delaware) Detective Division, but it always stuck in my mind as an example of gun phobias. As it was a very hot day, we had left our sport and suit coats off, and after taking the suspect into custody, we stood between our unmarked vehicles, which had red and blue emergency equipment flasing, and the suspects vehicle. An assistant to the Mayor drove by and observed us standing there. We consisted of six police officers, both white and black, all with handcuffs, badges, holsters and guns, and extra ammo on our belts and walkie talkies in our hands.

Also in the late 80s I was a Detective working out of a secluded substation. We had a nitwit narcissist Major, who made it a rule to wear our coats over our firearms when walking into the office, thru a back door, out of public view. He refused to provide coat racks, so no way to properly store a nice sport/suit coat.

I went to the Salvation Army and bought the ugliest pink sport coat I could find for $5 and wore that into the office, leaving my good coat in the car. He was pissed, but soon rescinded the order!! I didn't want to get promoted anyway!!

OngoingFreedom
02-22-2010, 18:20
Last year TN decided to allow legally possessed weapons in state parks, and local as well but with opt-out provisions. When my hometown city council, Gallatin, had it on the agenda I went to my first ever council meeting. I expressed my support for "not opting out" (just don't do anything, i.e.) as did others. No one on the other side spoke. The council decided unanimously to not opt out.

Yesterday, in beautiful, sunny weather, I hiked at the Triple Creek Park (a Gallatin city park) while carrying my Glock 23. In a fit of right-expression I did so while open-carrying with my and one other family through four miles of hiking. What a nice time!

LApm9
03-01-2010, 17:30
I live near a K9 training facility, which means we have a LOT of LEO's stopping in our sandwich shops and stores. Must of these chaps are in plain clothes, but are carrying their duty weapons on their belt.

We are so inured to OC that, as long as you wore black or 511's, you would attract no attention whatsoever.

mnglocker
03-07-2010, 21:26
Quoted post deleted - Off Topic

Welcome Newb. :wavey: go read the sticky at the start of this thread. :cool:

MaximaDrvr
03-12-2010, 00:19
Just had our monthly OC dinner in Cary, NC.
We had 20+ adults present, and 7+kids.
It was a great dinner with many new faces this time.
We had zero negative comments or attention, and I noticed no 'dirty' looks.
The manager was very interested in our activities and wished us the "best of luck" and "a good evening."

RussP
03-12-2010, 04:34
Just had our monthly OC dinner in Cary, NC.
We had 20+ adults present, and 7+kids.
It was a great dinner with many new faces this time.
We had zero negative comments or attention, and I noticed no 'dirty' looks.
The manager was very interested in our activities and wished us the "best of luck" and "a good evening."Where did you meet? Might as well give some publicity to those who support us who carry.

MaximaDrvr
03-12-2010, 12:33
This months meeting was held at Chick-Fil-A.

(In NC you can not carry into any establishment where alcohol is both sold and consumed on premises. This narrows our options for dinner to a few. We have found a few 'nicer' places that don't serve and we attend them sometimes. The rest or meeting are at burger joints, bbq places, pizza, etc.)

modelflyer2003
03-12-2010, 19:46
First time OC'ing today...sort of. I say sort of because I was a LEO for four years, but have never open carried as a civilian, which has been the last 16 years. I have strictly CC’ed. I decided that the first place I would go would be to Starbucks, but I needed a gun magazine to read while drinking my expensive coffee, so I went to Hasting’s Bookstore and got a nice crisp new magazine. I should add that I was coming from a function that required me to dress nice, so I had on a dress pants, white shirt, leather shoes and a tie. I also have had the same “cop” haircut, as my wife says since 1989 at the academy. I was wearing a Taurus 605 .357 in a Galco paddle holster. No one in the bookstore blinked an eye, the sky didn’t fall, and no sirens were heard. No “Man with a gun!” screams with women lying across their terrified children. The only complaining I heard was from the clerk about feeling under the weather. I then drove to the local Starbucks. I went in and as much coffee as I drink, I am ashamed to say I didn’t know what anything was. I drink straight black coffee as hot as I can stand and lots of it. I just ordered the first thing I saw on the menu: a Latte. I sat down, read my magazine and drank an expensive coffee with cream. Would have preferred Folgers Classic Roast, but I was patronizing a store for their stand on people exercising their Second Amendment Right. I didn’t hurry, but didn’t hang around. I probably spent 20 minutes. No one patron or employee blinked an eye. I drove home and told my wife. She said, “They probably thought you were a cop. Heck you look like one and you’re dressed like some detective.” To be honest, it felt natural. I CCW a Glock 26 in a Crossbreed most of the time, and it feels as natural as my wallet.

TheEggman
03-13-2010, 06:23
Modelflyer, you hit a key point at the end when you said ...
"To be honest, it felt natural. I CCW a Glock 26 in a Crossbreed most of the time, and it feels as natural as my wallet."

I ran into another OC'er a while back and he looked as jumpy as a bullfrog on speed. I hate to admit it, but his 'lack of comfort' did raise a bit of anxiety.

In the interest of fellowship I introduced myself and indeed, it was only his second day with OC. He does have a CHP, but wanted to see what the atmosphere was like in the OC world.

We sat together and finished our sandwiches and during lunch a lady came over and asked us, "could one of you officers tell me how to get back on the interstate?

I pointed her in the proper direction, followed by a 'oh, and we're not police, and that was that.

The point of this is that not only dress, but attitude matters. If YOU are anxious and nervous, those around you will sense it. If YOU are naturally at ease and nonchalant, those around you will probably not even notice the sidearm, and if they do they will generally 'assume' you are, in some manner, official.

BTW: If you're a plain old 'Maxell House' kind of guy, Dunkin Donuts has much better coffee at 1/4 the price.

MedicOni
03-13-2010, 10:05
Went to REI for their Scratch and Dent sale (good haul BTW) and am now sitting at the StarBucks with some Chai. OCd with my DE in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle. No weird looks from anyone except an ex I ran into at REI :P

Oramac
03-13-2010, 13:46
OCd with my DE in a Blackhawk Serpa

please tell me DE doesnt stand for Desert Eagle. i didnt even know they made holsters for those. lol

MedicOni
03-13-2010, 15:02
please tell me DE doesnt stand for Desert Eagle. i didnt even know they made holsters for those. lol
Nope, my Colt Delta Elite.

happyguy
03-14-2010, 08:58
Stopped in to McDonalds at County Line and Madison in Indianapolis yesterday while OC. Some new kid comes around the counter with a big smile on his face, looks down at the gun on my hip, face goes blank and turns gray, and he drops the tray with all the condiment refills he's carrying on the floor.

Must be from California! :tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

mnglocker
03-14-2010, 09:06
Stopped in to McDonalds at County Line and Emerson in Indianapolis yesterday while OC. Some new kid comes around the counter with a big smile on his face, looks down at the gun on my hip, face goes blank and turns gray, and he drops the tray with all the condiment refills he's carrying on the floor.

Must be from California! :tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

That's not funny... just plain awsome. Anytime I can wittness slapstick humor it's a win. :rofl:

MedicOni
03-14-2010, 10:17
Quoted post deleted - off topic
Granted it's illegal here to OC into any establishment that sell liquor, but I've walked around OCing like that and been just fine with no problems.

ubersoldat
03-14-2010, 10:21
I open carry all the time here in Phoenix AZ, never had any issues, alot of people here open carry so its not odd to see it.

Resqu2
03-14-2010, 14:41
I haven't posted here in a while so I though I'd drop a quick post, went to Chili's here in Bristol, VA last night, not wearing FD issued clothing and carrying a small FD pager in my pocket, my Glock 27 riding in a nice leather retention holster and as I was washing up in the rest room an older gentleman ask if I was a police officer.

I told him no, just an ordinary citizen out to eat, he looked at me and said "God bless you son, I wish everyone would do that" He went on to say that he was an NRA member and owned a full size Glock himself. I told him about VCDL and how they do more in VA than the NRA will ever do and said our well wishes and went on. I think he was the only one that noticed my Glock all evening. He did make my day though.

RussP
12-20-2011, 08:23
Bump...

RussP
06-24-2013, 07:20
Bump...