Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bio Glock
02-12-2008, 20:26
As a social experiment, I "open carried" last Saturday while going out on several errands in NE Atlanta area.

The Container Store, REI, Barnes and Noble, and a Krogers.

Glock 22 - Galco Fletch - Looper Kydex belt - Right handed.

Left side a cell phone, Blackberry, extra mag (RippOff Holsters) I've used them for several years http://www.ripoffs.com/

No challenges, and I must admit, great customer service!

I will open carry again, no problem.

Lets try this as an Open Carry sticky.

Just post about your open carry experiences, any problems you had, and positive encounters with others. If you want, describe your carry rig, how you dressed, time of day, frequency of carry in that location...any details that will help others decide whether open carry is for them.

Remember, Open Carry is NOT for everyone.

Laws restrict open carrying in certain jurisdictions.

If you disagree with open carry, that's fine, but this thread is NOT for arguing pro/con open carry. Any posts in that vein will be deleted.

If you want to debate Open Carry, express your negative views, please, we encourage you to start a new thread.

Also, if you want to discuss a post, to ask questions, quote the post and start a new thread in the main Carry Issues Forum.

RussP

Resqu2
03-14-2008, 18:20
So I went to Outback Steak House with my trusty G27 strapped on my side in a nice leather holster, my two way fire radio sits beside it. I have on a regular polo FD issued shirt with our emblem on the front. We walk in and it’s crowded as usual and no one even seems to notice my firearm. We waited to be seated and several people walk by, no one panics, no one calls the police, no one even seems to notice.

We take our seat and had a super gal serving us and she didn’t panic either. I’m sure she noticed my gun as it’s in plain view as REQUIRED by VA law. Our meal usually runs $35 but when my server brings my check her manager had told her that since I was with Fire and Rescue that she was to give me a discount, my $35 dollar meal had a total of $12.56 owed, can you guys believe that they would treat someone who open carries like that? This is only the second time I have got a discount there, got one a few years ago for the same amount. I tipped her nicely and told her to go and convey my thanks to her manager.

Now, my point in posting this is to prove that you can have a positive experience while OC'ing here in VA. I feel it’s all in the way you act and carry yourself. My clothing choice was what got me the discount and it wasn’t planned that way, just happened to have it on when we decided to eat there. I think some people here believe you will be thrown out of every store you go in and be arrested on site for OC'inc but I just don’t see it happening if you act and dress right.

On a side note to those that are SO against OC, I followed VA LAW to the letter and my choices were to OC, not go (not an option as I was HUNGRY), go unarmed and hope no one broke into my vehicle and took and used my gun, or CCW and violate VA law which is NOT an option for me or anyone with any brains about them. So before you anti OC guys jump me, give me another option to my above options and then we will talk

Thanks for taking time to read my story! :wavey::wavey:

mnglocker
03-17-2008, 21:15
Nothing happened, nobody even blinked. :shocked:

The only questions asked of me, were if I found everything, and if I'd like to put my purchase on a Menards Big card.

:cool:

mnglocker
03-17-2008, 21:28
Last Saturday when I was out and about running some errands while OCing and I stopped at the Muni Liquor store at about 8pm/ I went in said "Hello" and asked one of the employees how they were doing, they said "Just fine and you", I replied back that "I was doing great". I proceeded to the back of the store's cooler and grabbed a delicious case of thirst quenching barley-flavored soda. At that point I decided that that item would suit my needs for the time being and I continued to the till where the cashier then asked me the question...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
:shocked::shocked::faint:<o:p></o:p>

"How are you tonight, and did you find what you needed?"<o:p></o:p>
I said, "Just fine thank you, and yes I found exactly what I was looking for."<o:p></o:p>
I then paid for my item and left, ala zero-incidence. <o:p></o:p>

:supergrin:
Just another day of OC'ing in The Land of 10,000 Lakes. :wavey:

Aran
03-17-2008, 21:38
Lucky you

larry_minn
03-17-2008, 22:18
No cover garmet? It wasn't that nice in my AO today.
Then again if you act like you are doing noting wrong/abnormal few folks notice you.

mnglocker
03-17-2008, 22:44
No cover garmet? It wasn't that nice in my AO today.
Then again if you act like you are doing noting wrong/abnormal few folks notice you.

I went last Saturday, I was too pooped to post it then. :rofl:

Resqu2
03-18-2008, 09:11
Some on here just won't believe your story, if you were not arrested or at least thrown out of the store then it probably didn't happen. :wavey:

Turtle13
03-18-2008, 09:45
Whatever man, you were intent on a robbery. You knew it, the clerk knew it.

You were just too chicken to finish the job.

Don't try to BS us.

j/k :tongueout:

mnglocker
03-18-2008, 09:48
:rofl::tongueout:

Kernellinux
03-18-2008, 10:32
When I read the title I thought you sprayed someone with OC. Glad that everything went well at Menards.

Resqu2
03-18-2008, 10:35
Jeez, another "no incident" OC story, what is this place coming to. J/K. :rofl:

I wish more would post their no incident OC stories, maybe some on here will get the picture that it's not a crime, unless the law says it is anyways.

mnglocker
03-18-2008, 10:38
When I read the title I thought you sprayed someone with OC. Glad that everything went well at Menards.

Dooooood, we need to get ND on board with Open Carry. :cool:

passive101
03-18-2008, 12:38
I miss Menards. I used to live in WI and always loved shopping at their stores. They don't have any in Florida.

RussP
03-18-2008, 13:02

mnglocker
03-18-2008, 13:31

:wow: I'm honored.

Thank you Russ. :supergrin: :wavey:

Critter Capper
03-18-2008, 13:39
howsabout this, come tomorrow evening, after my first time OCing, i will (hopefully) post a "no issue OC day" review! wish me luck

mnglocker
03-18-2008, 13:40
howsabout this, come tomorrow evening, after my first time OCing, i will (hopefully) post a "no issue OC day" review! wish me luck

You don't need luck, just carry your self with confidence and be polite. :thumbsup:

Aran
03-18-2008, 14:30
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Why exactly did Wal-Mart call 911? Did the manager talk to you as well as the SP?
The first time, the manager talked to me first. The conversation was:

"Are you a cop?"
"No, why?"
"Do you have a license for that?"
"In Pennsylvania, it's not required for open carry" (I didn't give him a yes or no, though at the time it was a no, and I had locked my Glock up in the back of the Jeep to drive there, thinking it was absolutely legal so long as I did that, before having found out differently, just to stave off any "YUO BROEK TEH LAWWSW!!!" comments)
"Oh, okay."
"Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to know, so I'm glad you asked before assuming anything was wrong."

He kind of scurried off at about "seem to know" and I wasn't looking at him, since I was still reading the coffee can I was holding (I still don't know the difference, beyond where it's grown, between Arabica and Columbian.) and when I looked he was gone. I just shrugged, stuck the can in my shopping cart, and my fiancee and I kept shopping for about ten minutes until I was approached by two State Troopers.

The second time... Okay, I kind of smudged over details on this one. There was no 911 call on this one. The Trooper was already in the back office dealing with a shoplifter (Who they let go after a short lecture, I overheard... If only I was so lucky.) and one of the associates who saw me with my holster revealed went and got him.

The manager who sat in the office with me for 15 minutes while the trooper took off with my wallet and ID to run my info had no idea what was going on other than he was told to come sit with me. So we talked about my motorcycle for most of the time. He was actually a pretty nice guy about it. He even asked "So did you break a law?" and seemed to believe me when I explained the legality of open carry.

This whole time I was sitting in a chair with pretty high arms with my hands handcuffed behind my back, in a motorcycle jacket with forward-curved arms. The trooper had to pull on my wrist to even get my hand in the second cuff, because my arm refused to move that way without assistance. And he cuffed me in the action figure aisle of the store, where I was quietly looking at... Pokemon toys. SCARY!

I don't want to make this post too long, and completely hijack the thread (Sorry... I think I already did, didn't mean to) but I'll leave you with a lovely quote by the trooper - "If you had your gun exposed walking down the street, you'd be likely to have found a gun at your head. My gun."

A quote I was sure to include in my complaint to the State Police local barracks and commissioner. Their response to the situation? http://www.songofthewinds.com/PSPResponse.jpg

(As copied from another, older post)

Bill Lumberg
03-18-2008, 15:11
Rock on where it's legal. If you get detained, don't complain. Every last person with my agency is conversant with citizen carry law in the area they're working. And if there's any allegation or observation of iffy behavior, they're going to get stopped and talked to. Nothing wrong, they'll be sent on their way in short order.

lance22
03-18-2008, 15:27
I OC'd at an Outback Steakhouse in MN just last night ... was wearing a suit. They burned my wife's steak so they gave her the meal for free, plus they gave us a coupon for a free Bloomin' Onion.

Not sure if anybody noticed my IWB - I was carrying a full size 1911.

RussP
03-18-2008, 15:37
Rock on where it's legal. If you get detained, don't complain. Every last person with my agency is conversant with citizen carry law in the area they're working. And if there's any allegation or observation of iffy behavior, they're going to get stopped and talked to. Nothing wrong, they'll be sent on their way in short order.Bill, what is iffy behavior and what is your agency so GT members may amend any behavior that may be "iffy" in your jurisdiction?

Jerry C
03-18-2008, 16:51
I open carried in Subway Sunday. I sat a table next to two city police officers, neither showed any reaction as i walked by. Went to soda fountain to fill my drink and the manager approached me an ask what kind of gun I was carrying. I told him a Glock 17, we talked about guns for a couple minutes and I walked back past the police to my table. No panic in the place at all. I also open carry six days a week (weather permiting) into my bank to make deposits for two grocery stores. Never been robbed yet!

RussP
03-18-2008, 17:08
The pharmacy tech at our local drugstore told me one night when I was getting a few things that his father had given him his Service Pistol, a G17. He said it showed the wear of many years of use. The lady next to me at the pharmacy counter patted her purse, said with a grin, "I carry a 26!"

I told her I'd noticed she seemed well aware of her surroundings. She told us, "My husband the cop teaches me what to look for."

Ya meet the nicest people open carrying...

Doc226
03-18-2008, 17:59
I live in Rhode Island and have an Attorney General's CCW, with this permit as opposed to the town chief permit I AM allowed to open carry. In RI I am sure if I ever open carried I would have a visit from the local LEO's very quickly. People around here wet their pants just from talking about guns, if they ever saw one I am sure a heart attack would follow.

Resqu2
03-18-2008, 18:04
Went out to the local mexican restaurant this evening, still dressed in work clothes, not "official FD gear" that I mentioned in my Outback story above. The Mexican guys working there are always nice and never seem to notice my Glock on my hip or they don't care. Nice meal as always and as we were leaving a very elder lady noticed my gun and quickly made eye contact with me, I paused and gave her a great big smile and noded my head to her and she relaxed and returned my smile with one of her own, her husband did the same thing and I smiled and noded to him also. So two elderly people now know that gun guys can be nice and not shoot them or rob them just because he has a gun.

Resqu2
03-18-2008, 18:09
if they ever saw one I am sure a heart attack would follow.

Guess that could be good for business since you are a doctor, sorry, couldn't resist that. But seriously I didn't know that some states have different levels of CCW permits, could see where it could be confusing to local cops though.

Fear Night
03-18-2008, 18:12
Jeez, another "no incident" OC story, what is this place coming to. J/K. :rofl:

I wish more would post their no incident OC stories, maybe some on here will get the picture that it's not a crime, unless the law says it is anyways.
This thread is for no incident stories only. It will be used to conclusively prove you will never have an encounter with the police while open carrying.

RussP
03-18-2008, 18:37
This thread is for no incident stories only. It will be used to conclusively prove you will never have an encounter with the police while open carrying.
No, it is not just for no incident stories.

Don't start rumors. :winkie:

You will eventually have an encounter with law enforcement. Those stories are welcome here, too.

If anything, a negative encounter should be aired; might help others avoid the same experience.

What will not be welcome are derogatory responses.

Fear Night
03-18-2008, 18:45
No, it is not just for no incident stories.

Don't start rumors. :winkie:

You will eventually have an encounter with law enforcement. Those stories are welcome here, too.

If anything, a negative encounter should be aired; might help others avoid the same experience.

What will not be welcome are derogatory responses.

Yeah, I know, I was being sarcastic. I just think it's silly that a few guys go OCing without incident and then they come back to GT preaching that OC incidents are a myth because nothing happened to them.

It's no different than going to hang out with wild Grizzlies for an hour and then come back saying, "See, I told you they don't attack people!" Hang out long enough and you're eventually guaranteed to get eaten.

rvrctyrngr
03-18-2008, 18:53
<------Has open carry envy.

I'd be interested to know what holsters/gear ya'll use for open carry, and if it's the same or different from what you use for CC (if you CC, as well). If ya'll could post that info with your stories, it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope be starting work on a gubmint contract very shortly that will take me to numerous open carry states. I've OC'd before in AZ and GA, but just curious as to the current equipment trends.

Warp
03-18-2008, 18:56
<------Has open carry envy.

I'd be interested to know what holsters/gear ya'll use for open carry, and if it's the same or different from what you use for CC (if you CC, as well). If ya'll could post that info with your stories, it would be greatly appreciated.

I hope be starting work on a gubmint contract very shortly that will take me to numerous open carry states. I've OC'd before in AZ and GA, but just curious as to the current equipment trends.

Blackhawk Serpa CQC (active retention OWB) when open carrying. I also use a G17 magazine (gun is G26) with an A&G grip extension.

Comp-Tac C-TAC with standard 10 round magazine with a GAP floorplate for concealed.

You use to be able tog et the GAP floorplate from www.concealablecontrol.com but the site hasn't been there for awhile. Not sure what's up with that, but I have a couple and they are great. Little better grip/retention of the gun but it doesn't stick out AT ALL from the bottom.

Doc226
03-18-2008, 18:57
Guess that could be good for business since you are a doctor, sorry, couldn't resist that. But seriously I didn't know that some states have different levels of CCW permits, could see where it could be confusing to local cops though.

:rofl:I forgot what to do with heart attacks--I'm a Gynecologist:rofl:

Warp
03-18-2008, 18:58
:rofl:I forgot what to do with heart attacks--I'm a Gynecologist:rofl:

I always figured that profession would have extreme upsides and EXTREME downsides.

/off topic comments

Doc226
03-18-2008, 19:10
I always figured that profession would have extreme upsides and EXTREME downsides.

/off topic comments

AMEN. Boy I have some stories.:wow:

rvrctyrngr
03-18-2008, 19:16
Blackhawk Serpa CQC (active retention OWB) when open carrying. I also use a G17 magazine (gun is G26) with an A&G grip extension.

Comp-Tac C-TAC with standard 10 round magazine with a GAP floorplate for concealed.

You use to be able tog et the GAP floorplate from www.concealablecontrol.com (http://www.concealablecontrol.com) but the site hasn't been there for awhile. Not sure what's up with that, but I have a couple and they are great. Little better grip/retention of the gun but it doesn't stick out AT ALL from the bottom.

Thanks, Warp. I tried the GAPs...didn't like them. Went back to the Pearce +0 for my G27s.

cmbf117
03-18-2008, 19:22
I too use a CQC with Serpa for OC. Great holster.

AMEN. Boy I have some stories.:wow:Ever pull out the echo joke? :rofl:

Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!

RussP
03-18-2008, 19:24
I carry in Various holsters.

IWB in Sidearmor and Tucker The Answer.

OWB Serpa CQC, Sidearmor Modular, Tucker HF-1 and HF-2.

The Tuckers are my dress-up go-out-to-eat holsters. They are usually concealed ubtil we enter the restaurant, then OC because the law says we cannot conceal where alcohol is served.

RussP
03-18-2008, 19:26
...Ever pull out the echo joke? :rofl:

Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!Y'all do know there are ladies around, don't you?

And just so you know, a few probably could wipe the floor with you... :animlol:

Razoreye
03-18-2008, 19:42
So you delete my off topic joke earlier and keep all these? Ooooookay.

I am not sure if I posted about this but earlier this summer I OC'd my 1911 when I went and picked up my car from the shop in the ghettos. No strange looks as far as I can tell. Then I went across the street to fill up my car with gas. The pump was messed up so I decided to go down the street for gas. I did notice this black kid who was about 6-7 with his eyes wide open staring out the van window at me. I waved to him and left.

I then filled up at the other gas station and headed to Taco Bell where I ate inside. No comments, maybe a few people noticed if at all.

I want to OC more but I have to choose when/where I want to and I'm a bit picky.

RussP
03-18-2008, 19:45
So you delete my off topic joke earlier and keep all these? Ooooookay...Remember, you're "SPECIAL"!! :wavey:

Razoreye
03-18-2008, 19:45
Touche. Well played, sir. :rofl:

Critter Capper
03-19-2008, 00:03
Okay guys, noticed something... when i OC @ 3:00 in my OWB holster, my arm covers my firearm mostly (big arms) Can this be considered attempting to conceal, or will i be okay? might just slide it up to 2:30 for a little more exposure. . . yeah yeah, first timer here, take it easy on me, lol

mnglocker
03-19-2008, 00:15
Just act normal and carry it where ever you find it comfy so that you're not figiting with it constantly.

Timberwulf
03-19-2008, 06:59
When living in AZ, I frequently open carried any time I was going to be running around out in the sticks or while hunting. I also made a habit of open carrying on July 4th.

I usually carried the G17 in a leather slide with a thumb break strong side, and a spare 17rd mag on the weak side.

Walking into grocery stores in the wee hours of the morning to grab some snacks and a gatorade, or into convenience stores for the same at any time of day, nobody even looked twice. Since I was heading out into the sticks, I was usually in jeans and hiking boots with a t-shirt on.

The only "incident" I had was stopping at Starbucks one particular time after we came back from a long morning of quail hunting. Nobody in the store cared one bit, but while walking back out to the truck with my drink I had a guy that was heading in from the parking lot jokingly stop, raise his hands, and back up saying "I surrender". I just shrugged and kept walking. :P

I did, at one point, have an interesting observation moment when a guy came in to the Sweet Tomatoes restaurant I was eating in openly carrying (was a semi-auto in a very nice leather holster, can't remember the model just now - might have been a 1911 variant). It was very interesting watching the reactions of people around him (reactions if you are carrying you normally might miss). I saw a few soccer mom's eyes pop, one pulled her kids closer to her and turned around and went the other way. The employees didn't seem to care, most of the customers didn't even notice. You get all kinds in Tucson. :)

Edit: For the poster above - I use IWB holsters while CCWing, usually SideArmor or Comp-Tac. I like to have some positive retention when open carrying (even though I usually cover the enter butt/grip area with my elbow) however. :)

Doc226
03-19-2008, 07:23
I too use a CQC with Serpa for OC. Great holster.

Ever pull out the echo joke? :rofl:

Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!

Only if I follow it by-- I can fix that

Razoreye
03-19-2008, 12:33
Okay guys, noticed something... when i OC @ 3:00 in my OWB holster, my arm covers my firearm mostly (big arms) Can this be considered attempting to conceal, or will i be okay? might just slide it up to 2:30 for a little more exposure. . . yeah yeah, first timer here, take it easy on me, lol
No. To conceal a handgun is to hide it's shape and signature so that the general public can't really tell what it is. If you totally block the view, it might be concealed for that second but you won't find anyone that can get a charge like that to stick.

RussP
03-19-2008, 12:43
Okay guys, noticed something... when i OC @ 3:00 in my OWB holster, my arm covers my firearm mostly (big arms) Can this be considered attempting to conceal, or will i be okay? might just slide it up to 2:30 for a little more exposure. . . yeah yeah, first timer here, take it easy on me, lolJust act normal and carry it where ever you find it comfy so that you're not figiting with it constantly.No. To conceal a handgun is to hide it's shape and signature so that the general public can't really tell what it is. If you totally block the view, it might be concealed for that second but you won't find anyone that can get a charge like that to stick.What they said...

Before you venture out, does anyone in your family have a camera capable of video?

You need to holster up and then walk around your house, in the backyard, let them film you doing normal things - going in and out the door, sitting down in a chair, walking like you're going into a store, holding the door open for someone.

When you look at the video, you'll either see you're overly concerned, or you'll see what needs modifying.

Just remember, open carry ONLY when and where appropriate.

If we read about you in the paper or see you on the news wearing bracelets, we're gonna be really pissed off. I may be a few hours away, but I have cop friends near you who know how to put the fear into you.

Razoreye
03-19-2008, 12:50
The video idea isn't half bad for OC and CC. I get friends to check me occasionally to see if they can spot the gun or any bad habits.

rvrctyrngr
03-19-2008, 12:51
:popcorn:

(c'mon, Russ...you knew SOMEONE was gonna do it!)

Happy B-Day, CritterCapper!
:birthdaysong:

mustangdave
03-19-2008, 15:58
Got off work and strapped on my gun. As I entered in the Commerce Bank I saw another OCing just leaving, had no problems but I shifted my stong side away from those behind me. After leaving I went straight to Taco Bell and nobody gave me any odd looks but I think the guy waiting for food infront of me was a little nervous. Pretty good day I just wish it didn't rain.

mnglocker
03-19-2008, 21:06
I went to the range today to indroduce three noobs to firearms. I just got back, been there since 2:30. :faint:

One of them shot well enough that he could pass a PTC qual. test no probs. After I was finished up with them for the day I was headed out of the range and I saw one of my old highschool buddies at the rental counter, so I spent another two hours giving him some free lessons. :thumbsup:

Even gave some pointers to the nice strippers shooting next to us when they asked for some help. :thumbsup: :supergrin:

Oh yeah, OC'ed the whole time and not a word from anyone. Not even an eye lash batted.

I'm off to the gas station now to fill up before that liquid money sucker goes up again tomorrow.
Edit to add:
I went to the gas station, and again same results as before, not a word or even a look.

As Andrew Rothman has said before, you could paint a Sherman tank red and slap a Honda sticker on it, drive it through the farmers market and nobody would even notice.

In fact this is getting kinda of boring, maybe I'll switch carry guns to an AR Pistol on a sling. :whistling:

mnglocker
03-19-2008, 21:08
Oooh and btw, has anyone heard from Critter Capper yet? His first day and all. :dunno:

Critter Capper
03-19-2008, 22:08
Nachos tasted good, got one "stare" from a guy who looked kind of scared (i dont know why, im not a scary guy, lol) and had two guys ask me what I was carrying. I only plan to carry when i go places like Roanoke, Danville, Galax, and other places with crime rates much above ours or when i HAVE to go somewhere im not familiar with. and no, i didnt get any shiny bracelets from Christiansburg's Finest :supergrin:

Razoreye
03-19-2008, 23:35
Even gave some pointers to the nice strippers shooting next to us when they asked for some help. :thumbsup: :supergrin:
Someone needs to step up so I will...

:needspics:

mnglocker
03-20-2008, 03:36
Someone needs to step up so I will...

:needspics:

I didn't take any pics, but this is a perfect example of the pros of OC'ing. (It was obivous that I was a knowledgable gun guy to ask for help.)
:supergrin::cool:

Timberwulf
03-20-2008, 06:45
Critter - bad guys don't just stay in the bad parts of town. Many like to go to the nice sections of town so the phat lewt they can get by robbing people will be much nicer and more lucrative. You might want to rethink your carry philosophy. :)

rvrctyrngr
03-20-2008, 07:28
Yup. If you're going to carry, carry.

Warp
03-20-2008, 09:44
Nachos tasted good, got one "stare" from a guy who looked kind of scared (i dont know why, im not a scary guy, lol) and had two guys ask me what I was carrying. I only plan to carry when i go places like Roanoke, Danville, Galax, and other places with crime rates much above ours or when i HAVE to go somewhere im not familiar with. and no, i didnt get any shiny bracelets from Christiansburg's Finest :supergrin:

Remember, crime happens ANYTIME and ANYPLACE. Not just "bad areas" or "bad neighborhoods".

Unless you have a functional crystal ball.....:tongueout:

Critter Capper
03-20-2008, 13:16
im still warming up to it guys............. it was disconcerting having someone stare me down pretty much... and all that was going through the back of my head was if he goes for it, do i cut and draw(Kershaw in other pocket) or do i fight his hand away since he doesnt know(most likely) the retention system... just takes some getting used to i guess

Resqu2
03-20-2008, 18:51
Since this thread is for the good, bad and ugly I will post my OC experience that happened today. I left work in a dirty pair of jeans, a HD (NOT FD) tee shirt and my 27 on my side in a retention holster. Went to the local drug store and when I went through the door there were 3 BIG armed men standing there just inside the door. I could see a badge beside the first guys gun but I didn't look close to see what he was. All three were talking to a couple of employees. The one with the badge immediately noticed me and my gun and looked straight at me and it wasn't a pleasant look, I was very uncomfy at that moment. I did not make eye contact with any of them.

I went up and down a few isles and all three spread out and watched everything I did. I couldn't find what I wanted to so I made my way to the counter and lost two of them but the one with the badge went behind the counter and stood behind the cashier while I ask him about what I was looking for, told me they didn't have it and I thanked him and left. Very creepy situation and I kept waiting to be questioned, went through my mind that I could of missed a no gun sign or something.

I don't know who they were with, all plain clothes and I know most all LEO around here, not by name but by face from working with them and I have never seen these guys. I looked for marked cars as I left but seen nothing right off. I was glad to get out of there and back in my truck.

mustangdave
03-20-2008, 19:09
Should have said hello to them, see how they respond.

I made a trip to get my free water ice from Rita's, there was a good amount of people and my first time around so many. I sat in my car thinking the crowd would would get less, but I just said "F it" and went. A little kid, maybe 10 y/o got out of a minivan and looked at me, he smiled and waved. I must have looked funny standing sideways in the line, but I didn't like how close the person behind me got so I looked back and it was a young girl with her back to me. Lots of people saw me and NOBODY broke down in hysteria. Right before that I got gas and nothing happened there either.

Resqu2
03-20-2008, 20:03
Should have said hello to them, see how they respond.

Normally I would 100 percent agree with you but the look I got I knew not to even make eye contact. I did not want to interfer with whatever they were doing there and by their actions I think they wanted nothing to do with me either.

Warp
03-20-2008, 20:18
im still warming up to it guys............. it was disconcerting having someone stare me down pretty much... and all that was going through the back of my head was if he goes for it, do i cut and draw(Kershaw in other pocket) or do i fight his hand away since he doesnt know(most likely) the retention system... just takes some getting used to i guess

The way I look at it:

Clamp down on the gun to keep it in the holster and draw my knife with my weak hand and cut him/her off the gun.

Angle your body when somebody gets too close and/or gives you that feeling so that your weak/non gun side is towards them and your body is between them and the gun.

If somebody goes for your gun it is a lethal force situation. Period. Act accordingly. There are no rules. No holds are barred. Your primary objective is to WIN.

Of course, we dont' know of any openly carrying private citizens being attacked for their guns. BUT, also of course, it either has or will happen to somebody somewhere. Unlikely, but inevitable.

RussP
03-20-2008, 21:09
Today was doctor visit day. Been going to him for 18+ years. When I started carrying, I used day-planner holsters for visits. 2-years ago, not expecting a weigh-in, much less a take your shirt off so I can listen..., I carried IWB in to see him.

When he said, "take your shirt off...", I told him, well, I need to tell you something, and lifted my shirt.

We went on to talk about crime, self defense, etc.

A couple other physicians in the practice know, also. One has her carry permit .She is from here and went to med school in NYC. She said coming home from NYC and seeing how bad crime was, while not as bad as NYC, it motivated her to start carrying.

Today, I carried IWB, again not expecting to remove my shirt, but he did it again...

He just noted the Glock and went about his work. Oh, he did reduce my weight by five pounds for everything on my belt, in my pocket... :cool:

RussP
03-20-2008, 21:19
Since this thread is for the good, bad and ugly I will post my OC experience that happened today. I left work in a dirty pair of jeans, a HD (NOT FD) tee shirt and my 27 on my side in a retention holster. Went to the local drug store and when I went through the door there were 3 BIG armed men standing there just inside the door. I could see a badge beside the first guys gun but I didn't look close to see what he was. All three were talking to a couple of employees. The one with the badge immediately noticed me and my gun and looked straight at me and it wasn't a pleasant look, I was very uncomfy at that moment. I did not make eye contact with any of them.

I went up and down a few isles and all three spread out and watched everything I did. I couldn't find what I wanted to so I made my way to the counter and lost two of them but the one with the badge went behind the counter and stood behind the cashier while I ask him about what I was looking for, told me they didn't have it and I thanked him and left. Very creepy situation and I kept waiting to be questioned, went through my mind that I could of missed a no gun sign or something.

I don't know who they were with, all plain clothes and I know most all LEO around here, not by name but by face from working with them and I have never seen these guys. I looked for marked cars as I left but seen nothing right off. I was glad to get out of there and back in my truck.I would have walked by them, maintain eye contact, and nod toward them saying, "Y'all doing okay?"

Don't stop, keep moving unless they comment.

Not making eye contact did you in. If I see someone enter a store, they notice me but avoid eye contact, they have my attention.

Good post!

RussP
03-20-2008, 21:25
Normally I would 100 percent agree with you but the look I got I knew not to even make eye contact. I did not want to interfer with whatever they were doing there and by their actions I think they wanted nothing to do with me either.
Then just nod and smile... and, you need to go back to the drug store, buy some bandais and ask what the cops were there for. Asking questions is easy for you. You do it all the time to assess a patient, right?

:thumbsup:

Critter Capper
03-21-2008, 02:34
well guys. i didnt carry today... had a meeting with the Chief of police (we get together & talk BS about once a month, family friend) and i cant carry in the PD. knew i needed no gas and no other stops, and one stopsign/ one light on the way so i just had the kershaw in the pocket, and the oc and Tazer in the GB... anyone know if Hooters has a no carry policy? (going to the one in roanoke tomorrow and i KNOW williamson rd. isnt the friendliest after dark)

Resqu2
03-21-2008, 05:06
Then just nod and smile... and, you need to go back to the drug store, buy some bandais and ask what the cops were there for. Asking questions is easy for you. You do it all the time to assess a patient, right?

Hind sight is 20/20 as they say and I wish I had at least said Hey, good day or something. I was caught off guard by their immediate actions, and my reaction as you said "did me in" so to say. I honestly don't think any of the three has ever seen an armed citizen. The way they took up positions as to cover each other in case I was a BG was neat to watch. I'm sure they were not locals, had to be State or Feds. Thanks for the suggestions for future encounters

RussP
03-21-2008, 08:52
well guys. i didnt carry today... had a meeting with the Chief of police (we get together & talk BS about once a month, family friend) and i cant carry in the PD. knew i needed no gas and no other stops, and one stopsign/ one light on the way so i just had the kershaw in the pocket, and the oc and Tazer in the GB... anyone know if Hooters has a no carry policy? (going to the one in roanoke tomorrow and i KNOW williamson rd. isnt the friendliest after dark)
Chief is a friend of the family? Did y'all discuss your open carrying?

Can't carry in the PD? Why?

RussP
03-21-2008, 08:55
Hind sight is 20/20 as they say and I wish I had at least said Hey, good day or something. I was caught off guard by their immediate actions, and my reaction as you said "did me in" so to say. I honestly don't think any of the three has ever seen an armed citizen. The way they took up positions as to cover each other in case I was a BG was neat to watch. I'm sure they were not locals, had to be State or Feds. Thanks for the suggestions for future encountersTrust me, I was in your shoes a couple of times before I decided, "Hey, be polite to them. They may be having a bad day and need a smile."

bersaboy
03-21-2008, 21:05
This happened about 4 months ago ,I used to be a night manager at a convience store , it was around 3 in the morning and I had a Sig P220 in a shoulder holster. A man about 67 years old came in he had a Beretta 92 in a Serpa . I saw his Veteran hat and I said thank you like I do to all Veterans and he caught my gun his wife came in and the three of us talked guns she pulled her pant leg up and revealed a Glock 33 in an ankle holster . We talked I found out that they were staying at their sons house and needed directions , the rest of my night went bye uneventfully . I open carry every where and i conceal a backup in case SHTF.

filthy infidel
03-22-2008, 06:36
I went to visit my dermatologist a while back. I knew they were going to do an allergen test (place two strips down my back) and would see my G33 IWB. I looked at the door before leaving my truck, thought about it, and went in packing anyway.

When the female doc saw it her trail of conversation halted just for a tiny moment, and then she went back to work.

After she left I was waiting for the nurse to come in with my paperwork but half expected a cop. Noone in the office said/did anything unusual, and when I went back to have the test strips removed a few days later I was pleased that no anti-gun sign had appeared at the practice.

TheEggman
03-22-2008, 06:57
I had a suspicious looking mole (benign) removed from my arm a few years ago, quick, painless and easy.

Just as I was getting ready to leave the Dr. asked if he could look at my back. (Looking for other suspicious stuff I suppose)

I warned him, 'before I take off my shirt I should tell you I have a legally concealed sidearm. I just don't want you to be concerned when you see it.

His reply ... "I'm concerned about anybody that doesn't."

rvrctyrngr
03-22-2008, 08:13
His reply ... "I'm concerned about anybody that doesn't."

Classic! :thumbsup:

Lewsid 13
03-22-2008, 10:29
As Andrew Rothman has said before, you could paint a Sherman tank red and slap a Honda sticker on it, drive it through the farmers market and nobody would even notice.

In fact this is getting kinda of boring, maybe I'll switch carry guns to an AR Pistol on a sling. :whistling:
Question for you? When you open carry, are you wearing a jacket? The reason I ask, is that a few months ago I was in another thread about OC'ing, and "Warp" made a good point. He said if you are going to open carry, open carry all the way so that it doesn't look like you were trying to conceal the gun and made the mistake of exposing it when your jacket caught on your holster. It's kinda hard to OC fully in Minnesota during the winter months when a jacket or coat is kind of a permanent fixutre. During the summer months, no problem. Please explain how you open carry. How you dress? ETC.

mnglocker
03-22-2008, 13:19
Question for you? When you open carry, are you wearing a jacket? The reason I ask, is that a few months ago I was in another thread about OC'ing, and "Warp" made a good point. He said if you are going to open carry, open carry all the way so that it doesn't look like you were trying to conceal the gun and made the mistake of exposing it when your jacket caught on your holster. It's kinda hard to OC fully in Minnesota during the winter months when a jacket or coat is kind of a permanent fixutre. During the summer months, no problem. Please explain how you open carry. How you dress? ETC.

I just sport a clean pair of levies and a tucked in long sleeve shirt. 8)

RussP
03-22-2008, 19:52
Well, today was very interesting at Wal-Mart! :wow:

Went to to set up an account at the pharmacy. Opened carried G22 in a Sidearmor IWB, spare mag, Surefire, cell phone. Wore khakis and a polo shirt.

Now that's out of the way, store was busy, but no one said anything about anything - people did notice, but when I smiled, they all smiled back.

I walked around shopping, then headed to sporting goods for .40 WWB and a quick check out.

There was a young man behind the counter. He wore a ball cap turned backwards with the Marine Globe & Anchor stitched on the back.

He looked down at my pistol, "Is that a Glock 23?"

"No, it's a 22," I said. He asked what I needed and I told him.

"Sir, is this for a pistol? If so, you are going to be surprised by what I'm going to tell you, but I cannot sell you pistol ammo."

He asked for a moment to call for a manager. Now, for a split second, I thought it was the open carry. Then he started to explain while on the phone.

"Recently, Wal-Mart changed its policy on the sale of handgun ammo by associates under the age of 21. I am a Marine Reservist. I am old enough to bear arms for my Country and die doing it, yet I cannot be trusted to sell handgun ammunition. I own and open carry my own pistol because Virginia says it is my Right. Wal-Mart, on the other side, says I can't sell ammo to fellow citizens."

I reached out my hand, shook his, "Thank you for serving Marine."

At that moment the manager and an older sporting goods sales associate came up. The Marine explained to the manager I wanted ammo for my Glock, pointing to my belt. She looked there, nodded to me and said, "Sorry for the delay sir, but new policy doesn't allow some of our finest young associates to sell handgun ammo. They can wear they Uniform of a Marine, they can die for our Country, but they can't sell ammo. It is a disgrace to their good character."

"Ma'am, I agree." That's all I could say. I shook each one's hand and left.

As I walked away, the manager said, "You stay safe, sir."

"Yes ma'am, I shall do that."

Talk about walkin' tall and feeling proud!! I'd been in the company of real Americans.

:patriot:

Warp
03-22-2008, 20:08
RussP: That is one HELL of a story!

Correct. That's the way I think.

I like to carry concealed or open, nothing in between. :thumbsup:

strapped4family
03-22-2008, 22:56
This happened last summer.

I was vacationing in Rehoboth Beach, DE. I am a Pennsylvania citizen. I contacted RBPD before visiting, inquiring about any firearm ordinances prohibiting firearm carry within the city (Delaware lacks preemption, thus cities can enact their own ordinances as they see fit). I was informed that open carry is indeed legal in the city limits of Rehoboth Beach, however I was to exercise caution as "our seasonal law enforcement officers are not always aware of the nuances of the law." Fair enough I say, and I carry all week with hardly a problem until...

I was walking down the boardwalk, minding my own business. I am dressed nicely, jeans and a tucked in oxford shirt and well groomed. I was approached by an unarmed female police officer who asked me to step to the side for a moment. She asked if I had a CCDW permit -- I told her I was a Pennsylvania citizen legally open carrying by law, and that I only had a Pennsylvania permit. She is joined by a couple more unarmed policeman. After a few minutes of discussion among them and radioing to whoever, they told me they stopped me for "public safety reasons" and that in the future, I should consider acquiring a permit. They went through the same scared reasoning as many experiences have listed in other encounter posts.

All in all though, it wasn't that horrible. I was only accosted for six or seven minutes. I just kept thinking, What good are these unarmed people? What good is their baton in the face of an armed madman?

Warp
03-23-2008, 08:27
This happened last summer.

I was vacationing in Rehoboth Beach, DE. I am a Pennsylvania citizen. I contacted RBPD before visiting, inquiring about any firearm ordinances prohibiting firearm carry within the city (Delaware lacks preemption, thus cities can enact their own ordinances as they see fit). I was informed that open carry is indeed legal in the city limits of Rehoboth Beach, however I was to exercise caution as "our seasonal law enforcement officers are not always aware of the nuances of the law." Fair enough I say, and I carry all week with hardly a problem until...

I was walking down the boardwalk, minding my own business. I am dressed nicely, jeans and a tucked in oxford shirt and well groomed. I was approached by an unarmed female police officer who asked me to step to the side for a moment. She asked if I had a CCDW permit -- I told her I was a Pennsylvania citizen legally open carrying by law, and that I only had a Pennsylvania permit. She is joined by a couple more unarmed policeman. After a few minutes of discussion among them and radioing to whoever, they told me they stopped me for "public safety reasons" and that in the future, I should consider acquiring a permit. They went through the same scared reasoning as many experiences have listed in other encounter posts.

All in all though, it wasn't that horrible. I was only accosted for six or seven minutes. I just kept thinking, What good are these unarmed people? What good is their baton in the face of an armed madman?

I would wonder the same thing.

IMO no good department puts unarmed people out in uniform by themselves. But what do I know?

I think it was Dave Grossman that said not to call an unarmed person security, but to call them run like hell when the shooting starts. Or something like that.....

RussP
03-23-2008, 09:35
...I just kept thinking, What good are these unarmed people? What good is their baton in the face of an armed madman?
Did they wear belt packs? Could they have been hidden?

rvrctyrngr
03-23-2008, 10:07
Great story, Russ. Thanks for that.

strapped4family
03-23-2008, 12:13
Did they wear belt packs? Could they have been hidden?

From what I remember, they had everything on their duty belt except a firearm and a taser. They had old-school police batons "holstered."

The woman who approached me was visibly nervous. She was probably a year older than I (which isn't old in the slightest), and I could tell she was one of the seasonal employees.

Rehoboth Beach hires 50 or so temporary police officers for the summer season. They "boast" an extremely low violent crime rate, so "why would anyone need to carry a gun here?"

Tired, tired rhetoric discouraging me to not carry. Family beaches are a prowlers best friend.

#1. Tons of families on vacation with lots of surplus cash
#2. Children running around unsupervised
#3. Wall-to-wall people on the boardwalk making escape seamless and easy.

Not carrying is not option.

mustangdave
03-23-2008, 15:55
Crime exists everywhere, and I read your post on OCDO about this. Sucks you had to go through that, but at least it was sorted out w/o a false arrest. I liked the part in the letter you got from Detective Jones who "strongly encourage you to not'' OC.

Resqu2
03-23-2008, 18:02
"Sir, is this for a pistol? If so, you are going to be surprised by what I'm going to tell you, but I cannot sell you pistol ammo."
:

I understand if it's store policy by why waste time by putting someone there that can't do the job? Waste his time, my time and his managers time? it's a long wait at times at my Wally world and if I wait a while and someone told me that I guess I would have a friendly chat with the manager when they did show up to sell it to me.

Fear Night
03-23-2008, 18:34
I understand if it's store policy by why waste time by putting someone there that can't do the job? Waste his time, my time and his managers time? it's a long wait at times at my Wally world and if I wait a while and someone told me that I guess I would have a friendly chat with the manager when they did show up to sell it to me.
Yeah, kinda like having an underage bartender in a state that requires 21+ to serve.

"Oh, you want a Bud Light? Hold on, let me go get my manager."

RussP
03-23-2008, 18:47
I understand if it's store policy by why waste time by putting someone there that can't do the job? Waste his time, my time and his managers time? it's a long wait at times at my Wally world and if I wait a while and someone told me that I guess I would have a friendly chat with the manager when they did show up to sell it to me.Please, don't get hung up on that. If you do, you miss the bigger message.

He was partnered there with an older associate who'd gone on his break, and he came back right at the same time the manager arrived. The elapsed time was about 3-4 minutes. It isn't an important part of the event except it gave him and the manager a chance to sound off. What they said is the important part, especially the manager.

Resqu2
03-23-2008, 19:00
Please, don't get hung up on that. If you do, you miss the bigger message.

He was partnered there with an older associate who'd gone on his break, and he came back right at the same time the manager arrived. The elapsed time was about 3-4 minutes. It isn't an important part of the event except it gave him and the manager a chance to sound off. What they said is the important part, especially the manager.

Sorry Russ,
I do get the bigger picture and it is screwed up to put it bluntly, these 18 year olds can sign up for war and use weapons us civies can only dream about, once out they can't even celebrate with a beer and can't even go and buy a handgun till there 21 and now Wally won't even let them sell ammo :faint: Where will it end???

tactical9mm
03-24-2008, 05:43
For the question asked earlier in the thread about open carrying in cold weather environments, I would recommend carrying in a thigh-rig. There is never a chance of running into a situation where you could accidentally conceal the weapon unless you are wearing a very long coat.

Personally I use a Safariland ALS 6304-683-131 for my Glock-34 when I open carry. The holster has both the Hood-guard and Sentry mechanisms, and this combination makes it an extremely "safe" holster. It was worth every penny and the five months that I waited on it for delivery.

A thigh-rig is an all-weather open carry solution, and is also very comfortable in every situation including driving.

My choice of carry ammunition for my Glock-34 is the Winchester 147 GR SXT round. I always go with a full standard 17-round magazine with one in the chamber, and a full 33-round magazine that I keep in my vehicle as a backup.

RussP
03-24-2008, 10:09
Another interesting open carry from Saturday.

Needed some items for Easter dinner, so I stopped at a grocery store in our county government area. Fire and Police headquarters quarter-mile down the road.

Parked perpendicular to the sidewalk right in front of the store. Girl Scouts were there en mass selling cookies. Walked toward them, nodded and smiled at the adults with them. They acknowledged. two girls came up and said, "Be sure to stop on your way out to buy some cookies!!" One looked at my pistol, looked up and smiled. I told them my diet doesn't allow many sweets, so I would have to pass. The two girls said in unison, "Thank you anyway." I smiled at the adults again and walked away.

Walked into the store and did my shopping. Saw a few people I've seen around the community over the years. No one seemed to mind the pistol.

Finished shopping and got in line to check out. As my stuff was being scanned, a gentleman behind my cart commented, "You certainly have plenty of stuff on your belt there. You seem prepared."
I responded, "Yes sir, I am."
He looked familiar, so I extended my hand, gave him my name and asked his. Turns out he owns businesses around our county airport. I'd seen him on TV promoting an initiative to enhance development in the Airport Business Park.
After determining that, I thanked him for noticing my preparedness, to which he said, "I'm carrying almost as much myself." I shook his hand again and said, "Good."

We said goodbye and I left.

I went over to the customer service desk to ask a question. While waiting, several employees came and stood next to me. No one seemed bothered by the pistol.

This is the fourth store in this regional family owned group of stores, ah heck, crass commercial - Ukrop's, I've been in without any problems whatsoever.

Razoreye
03-24-2008, 13:26

Went to to set up an account at the pharmacy. Opened carried G22 in a Sidearmor IWB, spare mag, Surefire, cell phone. Wore khakis and a polo shirt.

Now that's out of the way, store was busy, but no one said anything about anything - people did notice, but when I smiled, they all smiled back.

I walked around shopping, then headed to sporting goods for .40 WWB and a quick check out.

There was a young man behind the counter. He wore a ball cap turned backwards with the Marine Globe & Anchor stitched on the back.

He asked for a moment to call for a manager. Now, for a split second, I thought it was the open carry. Then he started to explain while on the phone.

"Recently, Wal-Mart changed its policy on the sale of handgun ammo by associates under the age of 21. I am a Marine Reservist. I am old enough to bear arms for my Country and die doing it, yet I cannot be trusted to sell handgun ammunition. I own and open carry my own pistol because Virginia says it is my Right. Wal-Mart, on the other side, says I can't sell ammo to fellow citizens."

At that moment the manager and an older sporting goods sales associate came up. The Marine explained to the manager I wanted ammo for my Glock, pointing to my belt. She looked there, nodded to me and said, "Sorry for the delay sir, but new policy doesn't allow some of our finest young associates to sell handgun ammo. They can wear they Uniform of a Marine, they can die for our Country, but they can't sell ammo. It is a disgrace to their good character."

Talk about walkin' tall and feeling proud!! I'd been in the company of real Americans.

:patriot: :usmc:

Buy that man a... damn he can't even have a beer, either! Sad that so many wouldn't let someone like him buy booze or a pistol because of their own shortcomings. Buy him a box of ammo! That's the ticket! :supergrin:

mustangdave
03-24-2008, 14:00
A bunch of us from OCDO got together for a monthly thing we just started doing since Jan. Meet up at the range and took up the whole pistle range, then we headed over to IHOP for a meal. About 12 in our group all-together and maybe 8 OC and 2 CC, no problems at all except for the long wait to get seated and for food, but I guess I should expect that for a large group.

RussP
03-24-2008, 14:13
Where else in Delaware do you OC?

mustangdave
03-24-2008, 14:29
We have members from south, central and north DE OCing, the only place we wouldn't be able to OC is Dover, our state capital.

Maine1
03-26-2008, 22:47
I IWB a G-21, but also have quite a few OWB holsters.

for those that OWB a blackhawk serpa- Left hand/weak side draws?

FWIW, I conceal nowadays, but used to open carry everywhere. I have a freind who is expirimenting with it, and has had some cool conversations to report. Rural area, guns are not too much of an issue.

Warp
03-27-2008, 09:38
for those that OWB a blackhawk serpa- Left hand/weak side draws?

Weak hand (which is my left) draw would be the 642 I carry as a BUG. Havn't come close to mastering the Serpa with my left hand.

SBD
03-27-2008, 20:47
RussP, I was wondering if during your journeys you've ever openly carried in Charlottesville, if you don't mind my asking.

cmbf117
03-28-2008, 00:48
Here in Blacksburg, at the local Quiznos. I originally had it concealed, but I took off the jacket before going in because it was hitting the 70s here. Interestingly, there were two Blacksburg PD officers getting subs, too. They nodded at me, I nodded back. Only gawk I got (that I noticed) was from some meathead who'd obviously just come from the gym in the mall.

Aran
03-28-2008, 04:01
I got out of the car at Eat 'n Park with family today (My fiancee, her sister and mother, and my grandmother) and happened to turn my back to the building to say something to my grandmoher just as a state trooper walked out (I hadn't realized the service was fast enough in there to make it worthy of going in on a lunch break... The food's mediocre, too.) to his (unmarked) car, and as I turned back around he just looked straight at me and gave me a slight nod and a half-smile

My first non-explosive encounter with a state trooper while carrying. I'd mark this on a calendar, but I hate writing on calendars :P

(Also, oddly enough, my grandmother, who was in from New York, said nothing about it the entire day. I guess she's slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm an adult, finally. Of course, the stacks of ammo in boxes and cans and bags of KNO3 in the apartment might have tipped her off that I'm pretty serious about things that go bang...)

RussP
03-28-2008, 05:18
RussP, I was wondering if during your journeys you've ever openly carried in Charlottesville, if you don't mind my asking.
Oh, yes.Restaurants out in the Lake Monticello area, Pantops area, shopping out on 29.

SBD
03-28-2008, 16:40
Oh, yes.Restaurants out in the Lake Monticello area, Pantops area, shopping out on 29.

Thanks for the response. I take it nothing remotely negative happened. Good to know.

RussP
03-28-2008, 17:20
Thanks for the response. I take it nothing remotely negative happened. Good to know.
Nothing negative...

Mayhem like Me
03-29-2008, 08:17
So I went to Outback Steak House with my trusty G27 strapped on my side in a nice leather holster, my two way fire radio sits beside it. I have on a regular polo FD issued shirt with our emblem on the front. We walk in and it’s crowded as usual and no one even seems to notice my firearm. We waited to be seated and several people walk by, no one panics, no one calls the police, no one even seems to notice.

We take our seat and had a super gal serving us and she didn’t panic either. I’m sure she noticed my gun as it’s in plain view as REQUIRED by VA law. Our meal usually runs $35 but when my server brings my check her manager had told her that since I was with Fire and Rescue that she was to give me a discount, my $35 dollar meal had a total of $12.56 owed, can you guys believe that they would treat someone who open carries like that? This is only the second time I have got a discount there, got one a few years ago for the same amount. I tipped her nicely and told her to go and convey my thanks to her manager.

Now, my point in posting this is to prove that you can have a positive experience while OC'ing here in VA. I feel it’s all in the way you act and carry yourself. My clothing choice was what got me the discount and it wasn’t planned that way, just happened to have it on when we decided to eat there. I think some people here believe you will be thrown out of every store you go in and be arrested on site for OC'inc but I just don’t see it happening if you act and dress right.

On a side note to those that are SO against OC, I followed VA LAW to the letter and my choices were to OC, not go (not an option as I was HUNGRY), go unarmed and hope no one broke into my vehicle and took and used my gun, or CCW and violate VA law which is NOT an option for me or anyone with any brains about them. So before you anti OC guys jump me, give me another option to my above options and then we will talk

So you wore a gun, Fire shirt and radio Off duty to get a discounted meal... great story. If a cop did this you guys would be all over him for accepting gratuities.:tongueout:

putz
03-29-2008, 09:19
:rofl:

AZ DBLTRBL
03-29-2008, 10:34

Wow! That gave me chills.....great story!

AZ DBLTRBL
03-29-2008, 10:57
I open carry quite a bit. I have a fanny pack, and I use that as well, when I want to carry concealed. Now, I'm just being honest, so don't beat me up guys.....but when I carry in the fanny pack, I just don't feel comfortable with one in the pipe. Something about the fact that I have a loaded gun pointing towards my gut....I know it sounds nuts, but I just worry more.

I feel much more confident when I open carry. My gun is in a holster and I just trust it more, so I can carry it fully ready. Here is my BUT - maybe it's just my experience, maybe it's because I'm a woman carrying an exposed gun....who knows...but I get a lot of questions/comments and it does rattle me at times.

I have read all of your stories, and it seems the theme is, "No one seems to really notice." My story is that everyone seems to notice. And they aren't shy in commenting about it. I always try to be polite and I don't mind answering a question or 2, but sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming. Women tend to get a bit snippy and I catch myself wanting to get just a wee bit pissy with them after a few comments. Men seem to just ask a lot of questions in general, and I really don't feel like standing there and answering 50 questions, but I don't want to be rude either.

I want to represent gun owners in a positive light. I don't want to alarm anyone, and I certainly don't want to get cranky and shut them down. I am really struggling with how to handle this. I like to open carry - I am more confident carrying this way...but the constant questions/comments I am not sure how to handle. I see that I am the only gal that has chimed in so far....I would like your thoughts/opinions on this.

Warp
03-29-2008, 11:13
I open carry quite a bit. I have a fanny pack, and I use that as well, when I want to carry concealed. Now, I'm just being honest, so don't beat me up guys.....but when I carry in the fanny pack, I just don't feel comfortable with one in the pipe. Something about the fact that I have a loaded gun pointing towards my gut....I know it sounds nuts, but I just worry more.

I feel much more confident when I open carry. My gun is in a holster and I just trust it more, so I can carry it fully ready. Here is my BUT - maybe it's just my experience, maybe it's because I'm a woman carrying an exposed gun....who knows...but I get a lot of questions/comments and it does rattle me at times.

I have read all of your stories, and it seems the theme is, "No one seems to really notice." My story is that everyone seems to notice. And they aren't shy in commenting about it. I always try to be polite and I don't mind answering a question or 2, but sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming. Women tend to get a bit snippy and I catch myself wanting to get just a wee bit pissy with them after a few comments. Men seem to just ask a lot of questions in general, and I really don't feel like standing there and answering 50 questions, but I don't want to be rude either.

I want to represent gun owners in a positive light. I don't want to alarm anyone, and I certainly don't want to get cranky and shut them down. I am really struggling with how to handle this. I like to open carry - I am more confident carrying this way...but the constant questions/comments I am not sure how to handle. I see that I am the only gal that has chimed in so far....I would like your thoughts/opinions on this.

Answering their questions is the perfect way to get some additional education for the public. THink about the grapevine effect and how many people you make realize that open carry is perfectly legal (and in AZ requires no license!), that people DO do it and that nothing bad happens as a result.

AZ DBLTRBL
03-29-2008, 12:41
Answering their questions is the perfect way to get some additional education for the public. THink about the grapevine effect and how many people you make realize that open carry is perfectly legal (and in AZ requires no license!), that people DO do it and that nothing bad happens as a result.

I agree with you. I don't mind being a voice of reason.....but so many times that is not what I am encountering. If I get a comment from women, it is almost always negative. Some kid will loudly point out, "Mom - why does that lady have a gun????" Then "mom" will answer something to the effect of, "People that carry guns are paraniod nuts, and she is one of "those people" that make our community so unsafe.......blah blah blah. I have grandkids. I want to tell him, "look, I just want to keep the people I love safe and I think this a good place to start....." Or they will ask, "are you a cop?" I'll say noooooo, just a citizen that wants to be safe....and they will roll thier eyes and look at me like I'm nuts or something. I'm not sure how to answer them.

The men have much more direct questions.....the first being, "Are you a cop?"

oh geez. No, I am not.

What kind of gun is that?

Do you alway carry a gun?

Why do you carry a gun?

What are you so afraid of?

Do you like to shoot?

Or I'll hear 2 men talking.....lesbian....yup! :upeyes:

I had a security guard about break his neck when I was carrying in my fanny pack and was walking into Victoria's Secret with my husband at Christmas. I noticed his reaction right away...and told Ken, "do you think he knows I'm packin'?" He just laughed and said, "Yep." Obviously they know that No one would be caught dead in public with a fanny pack if they were not packing a gun.....

Team Zoltan
03-29-2008, 15:21
I think any two guys who are talking and see a woman carrying a gun and say anything but da** that is sexy are probably homosexual so I wouldn't really worry about that. I don't really know what else to tell you about the other people that constantly ask you questions. just my .02

TheEggman
03-29-2008, 15:31
I think any two guys who are talking and see a woman carrying a gun and say anything but da** that is sexy are probably homosexual so I wouldn't really worry about that. I don't really know what else to tell you about the other people that constantly ask you questions. just my .02

I can't see how anyone, straight or gay who hasn't been dead more than 30 days wouldn't think a woman with both the stones and confidence to carry is sexy. Brings a different meaning to "packing a pair of 45s"

But then again, I'm just a 'typical' old man.

theghostrider
03-29-2008, 16:09
AZ DBLTRBL,

Not trying to be offensive (just objective), but it sounds like you may have a slight confidence problem. This is understandable, and many people who chose to carry (CC or OC) experience the same thing, especially those who are newer to it. Some people get over it fast, some people take longer. Nothing wrong with it either way. I would highly recommend you get over to opencarry.org, and at least read some of the threads. Good states to look at there are Washington, and Virginia, because they both have fairly active groups. If you do enough digging, you'll find stories by people who have experienced similar problems to the ones you describe, and examples of how they handled such situations. I also recommend you sign up and voice your concerns. People there are very helpful, and will be more than likely to give you suggestions on how to treat such situations.

hikerpaddler
03-29-2008, 16:21
When I see someone with a fire or ems uniform wearing a gun, or someone who isn't a cop wearing a badge or similar items, it reminds me of the "Far Side" cartoon "How Nature Says Do No Touch". That's the one of a man wearing a tricorn hat and a child's animal pool float. I can't find a jpg of it.

Resqu2
03-29-2008, 16:39
When I see someone with a fire or ems uniform wearing a gun, or someone who isn't a cop wearing a badge or similar items, it reminds me of the "Far Side" cartoon "How Nature Says Do No Touch". That's the one of a man wearing a tricorn hat and a child's animal pool float. I can't find a jpg of it.

It is our own personal responsibility to protect ones self, it is NOT LEO's job to protect me or you, they will do a fine job of investigating my murder or robbery by they won't prevent it. Only I can try to do that. So my question is why should I NOT be able to carry the means to protect myself even if I have a uniform on? BTW, I don't wear a uniform but if I did I will still have the means to protect myself...

Ryobi
03-29-2008, 16:43
+1. Fire and EMS in my area aren't allowed to carry on the clock, and they normally will only be responding when police have already been dispatched. They have too hard a job and have too many other things they are focused on to be worried about protecting their weapon.

Resqu2
03-29-2008, 16:51
So you wore a gun, Fire shirt and radio Off duty to get a discounted meal... great story. If a cop did this you guys would be all over him for accepting gratuities.:tongueout:

You missed a few things in my post,

First: I alway wear a gun, who else is going to save me from the BG's????

Second: The shirt only had a small FD emblem on it, nothing noticeable about it unless you look close

Third: Volly's are never off duty, FD radio is how we receive pages and answer calls

Fourth: Discount was nice, doesn't happen very often, some business owners appreciate FF and Rescue personnel

Fifth: Cops to get discounts at lots of local places around here and I think they deserve anything they can get. I have alot of respect for the job all LEO's do.

AZ DBLTRBL
03-29-2008, 17:24
AZ DBLTRBL,

Not trying to be offensive (just objective), but it sounds like you may have a slight confidence problem. This is understandable, and many people who chose to carry (CC or OC) experience the same thing, especially those who are newer to it. Some people get over it fast, some people take longer. Nothing wrong with it either way. I would highly recommend you get over to opencarry.org, and at least read some of the threads. Good states to look at there are Washington, and Virginia, because they both have fairly active groups. If you do enough digging, you'll find stories by people who have experienced similar problems to the ones you describe, and examples of how they handled such situations. I also recommend you sign up and voice your concerns. People there are very helpful, and will be more than likely to give you suggestions on how to treat such situations.

ghostrider - I am not offended at all, and I have to agree with you....it does tweak my confidence level. It took me awhile to even get the nerve up to carry a gun...and I don't like the feeling like I am wearing a "I have a gun sign" around my neck." I just figure if I keep doing it, I will get over that feeling, or I will get better at dealing with people that make remarks. I do get positive responses as well, but not as many as the strange ones I seem to hear.

I'll check the website out that you mention. I am not going to quit carrying because it gets uncomfortable. I'll just push through it. Maybe when I get more confident, the responses will lessen. My biggest challenge is to not get snotty with those that feel that what I am doing is wrong. It gets old quick. I need to work on carrying in my fanny pack as well. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the remarks or questions. I just seem to have a hang up of having a loaded weapon on me that isn't holstered...stupid as that is. As long as I don't chamber a round, I'm fine...but I really don't like that alternative either.

theghostrider
03-29-2008, 18:28
ghostrider - I am not offended at all, and I have to agree with you....it does tweak my confidence level. It took me awhile to even get the nerve up to carry a gun...and I don't like the feeling like I am wearing a "I have a gun sign" around my neck." I just figure if I keep doing it, I will get over that feeling, or will get better at dealing with people that make remarks. I do get positive responses as well, but not as many as the strange ones I seem to hear.

I'll check the website out that you mention. I am not going to quit carrying because it gets uncomfortable. I'll just push through it. Maybe when I get more confident, the responses will lessen. My biggest challenge is to not get snotty with those that feel that what I am doing is wrong. It gets old quick. I need to work on carrying in my fanny pack as well. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the remarks or questions. Do you by chance carry around the home? I know it‘s none of my business, but it is a great way to get acquainted with carrying the weapon, and build confidence at the same time. It‘s also a great way to be prepared for any home invasion, but that is OT.

Captain Richard Marcinko (the founder of SEAL Team Six: the Navy‘s counter terrorist unit) stated that one of the reasons he required his team members to carry ALL THE TIME, was because it made them more comfortable/confident with the weapon (mostly concealed), and therefore “second nature“. This, he claimed, translated to being less conspicuous in public (part of your problem may be that, because you feel different, people are feeding off of those feelings and responding).
I just seem to have a hang up of having a loaded weapon on me that isn't holstered...stupid as that is. As long as I don't chamber a round, I'm fine...but I really don't like that alternative either. My dear lady.
It isn‘t at all stupid. A holster is a safety measure, among other things.

This is just me, but I believe that the more you shoot, carry, clean, dry fire, and practice basic safe gun handling skills (which the first four with help with), then the more confident you‘ll be with that weapon as far as safety is concerned. As an example, it isn‘t natural for most people to point their index finger straight out (trigger finger discipline). Most tend to curl it naturally, which will put it inside the trigger guard, resting naturally on the trigger. The more you practice your gun handling skills, the more you will train yourself away from these bad habits, and thus gain more confidence. You'll also become more confident to the point that you'll feel comfortable with the chamber loaded. That’s my $.02, YMMV.

Warp
03-29-2008, 19:40

Who said anything about badges? Did I miss something? :dunno:

Timberwulf
03-29-2008, 20:21

http://www.llamadev.com/images/GlockTalk/NoTouchy.jpg

I love the FarSide, and I agree that to a criminal, an openly carried firearm is indeed a Do Not Touch, Bother, or Otherwise Misbehave sign. :)

As for Fire or EMS openly carrying, I see nothing wrong with that. Hell, they took enough fire during riots and whatnot that I think they should be able to if they are responsible about it.

Warp
03-29-2008, 20:27
I love the FarSide, and I agree that to a criminal, an openly carried firearm is indeed a Do Not Touch, Bother, or Otherwise Misbehave sign. :)

I certainly don't want random people to come up and touch me in public. :shocked:

JimmyMN
03-29-2008, 23:11
So you wore a gun, Fire shirt and radio Off duty to get a discounted meal... great story. If a cop did this you guys would be all over him for accepting gratuities.:tongueout: Cops don't do as well in this regard, since they aren't as good at putting out grease fires....:rofl:

AZ DBLTRBL
03-30-2008, 01:27
Do you by chance carry around the home? I know it‘s none of my business, but it is a great way to get acquainted with carrying the weapon, and build confidence at the same time. It‘s also a great way to be prepared for any home invasion, but that is OT.

Captain Richard Marcinko (the founder of SEAL Team Six: the Navy‘s counter terrorist unit) stated that one of the reasons he required his team members to carry ALL THE TIME, was because it made them more comfortable/confident with the weapon (mostly concealed), and therefore “second nature“. This, he claimed, translated to being less conspicuous in public (part of your problem may be that, because you feel different, people are feeding off of those feelings and responding). My dear lady.
It isn‘t at all stupid. A holster is a safety measure, among other things.

This is just me, but I believe that the more you shoot, carry, clean, dry fire, and practice basic safe gun handling skills (which the first four with help with), then the more confident you‘ll be with that weapon as far as safety is concerned. As an example, it isn‘t natural for most people to point their index finger straight out (trigger finger discipline). Most tend to curl it naturally, which will put it inside the trigger guard, resting naturally on the trigger. The more you practice your gun handling skills, the more you will train yourself away from these bad habits, and thus gain more confidence. You'll also become more confident to the point that you'll feel comfortable with the chamber loaded. That’s my $.02, YMMV.

I carry at home when I know we have deliveries or someone is scheduled to be here. I am fine with that. It just gets tough in public. I agree with you on doing it all the time. It really would become 2nd nature if I had my gun on me all the time....I need to challenge myself to do that.

You guys get back to your discussion....I'll just hang out and see what I can learn. I do know one thing, comfortable or not, I'm going to continue to carry my gun. I really do believe it's the smart thing to do. I just need to keep practicing until it's a part of me.

Thanks again!

RussP
03-30-2008, 06:06
...I just need to keep practicing until it's a part of me.

Thanks again!That is the secret... :thumbsup:

RussP
03-30-2008, 06:23
I carry at home when I know we have deliveries or someone is scheduled to be here. I am fine with that...Ahhhhh, first thing, and it takes a little time for some, carry all the time at home whether someone is coming as scheduled or not.

It is that pesky unscheduled visitor who will get your adrenilin rushing.

Fear Night
03-30-2008, 07:04
Has anybody ever heard of a story where an OCer gets "shot first" or has their handgun stolen? I know this is usually the standard argument against OC.

The more I think about it, a BG will just assume you are LE. Not many BGs want to mess with an LE, uniformed or not. They would probably just avoid you all together.

RussP
03-30-2008, 07:46
Has anybody ever heard of a story where an OCer gets "shot first" or has their handgun stolen? I know this is usually the standard argument against OC.This topic is frequently discussed. No, no one has posted incidents where a non-LEO open carrying is "shot first".The more I think about it, a BG will just assume you are LE. Not many BGs want to mess with an LE, uniformed or not. They would probably just avoid you all together.Don't bet your life on that.

"I do not know the agenda of anyone around me," is my position.

A bad guy coming into a convenience store, it depends on his/her motivation as to whether your openly carried firearm is a deterrent or a target.

Just because no stories are forthcoming about open carrying citizens being shot first could just mean most do follow the suggestion, "Open Carry ONLY When and Where Appropriate".

Warp
03-30-2008, 11:40
Has anybody ever heard of a story where an OCer gets "shot first" or has their handgun stolen? I know this is usually the standard argument against OC.

No, nobody has. At least nobody that has ever posted on GT. Or arf.com. Or any other board I have visited. Or written an article in any gun rag.

It may very well have happened, but nobody knows about it. And it most certainly will happen, eventually. But hey, people drown/burn (and/or will in the future) in their cars because they couldn't get out of their seatbelts. That doesn't mean you stop wearing it just in case that happens.

(deterrence probably being more likely being the first target)

Anybody who doesn't believe in deterrence and instead believes they would be the first example of the "shot first theory" feel free to never open carry. Doesn't bother me at all. That is YOUR choice. :)

Mayhem like Me
03-30-2008, 13:20
You missed a few things in my post,

First: I alway wear a gun, who else is going to save me from the BG's????

Second: The shirt only had a small FD emblem on it, nothing noticeable about it unless you look close

Third: Volly's are never off duty, FD radio is how we receive pages and answer calls

Fourth: Discount was nice, doesn't happen very often, some business owners appreciate FF and Rescue personnel

Fifth: Cops to get discounts at lots of local places around here and I think they deserve anything they can get. I have alot of respect for the job all LEO's do.

You missed one important thing that shows your skills of observation are lacking....IT WAS A FRIGGING JOKE.

Me personally I only open carry in uniform but if you like the way it feels to have the gun on the outside without wearing a vest feel free to exercise that right.

The clothing and manner you described screams wannabe just as much as the open carry guys with the CCW badge on their belt, a contradiction.

Mayhem like Me
03-30-2008, 13:22
I carry at home when I know we have deliveries or someone is scheduled to be here. I am fine with that. It just gets tough in public. I agree with you on doing it all the time. It really would become 2nd nature if I had my gun on me all the time....I need to challenge myself to do that.

You guys get back to your discussion....I'll just hang out and see what I can learn. I do know one thing, comfortable or not, I'm going to continue to carry my gun. I really do believe it's the smart thing to do. I just need to keep practicing until it's a part of me.

Thanks again!

I'm a guy and I carry all the time As I type this in my kitchen I have my back up a G27 in an ankle rig. If I have my pants on I have a gun on, and if they are off the gun is real close.

Resqu2
03-30-2008, 15:27
You missed one important thing that shows your skills of observation are lacking....IT WAS A FRIGGING JOKE.

Me personally I only open carry in uniform but if you like the way it feels to have the gun on the outside without wearing a vest feel free to exercise that right.

The clothing and manner you described screams wannabe just as much as the open carry guys with the CCW badge on their belt, a contradiction.

Take it easy, I knew what you posted was in a joking manner, sorry for not conveying that in my reply. That story has just caused lots of controversy and I was open carrying due to state law, not because of the way it makes me feel :tongueout:

RussP
03-30-2008, 16:34
...Anybody who doesn't believe in deterrence and instead believes they would be the first example of the "shot first theory" feel free to never open carry. Doesn't bother me at all. That is YOUR choice. :)And I am starting to believe YOU believe open carry is black or white.

Thought you'd been taught better.

There are times and places where I live that if you open carried, half the thugs in the area would know before you got to the beer cooler. Then you'd either buy it there or on the way home.

And I KNOW there are places where you live that are the same. I've been in those neighborhoods.

And if someone feels that if they open carry it will draw attention in any form, then it is their choice to carry concealed, just like it is your choice to open carry - personal choice - very important words.

Somewhere in this thread, or another, we've agreed first and most importantly, we carry a firearm for self defense.

The firearm and method of carry are very personal choices.

Warp
03-30-2008, 16:49
You are of course correct, Russ, but surely you realize the people that post is directed at believe in never carrying openly. ;)

RussP
03-30-2008, 17:07
You are of course correct, Russ, but surely you realize the people that post is directed at believe in never carrying openly. ;)Could be, could very well be.... ;)

Resqu2
03-30-2008, 17:58
Went to CVS and Walgreens looking for a few things, today I had NO FD radio, (I’m unavailable to answer calls for now due to a bad medical problem) plain ol shirt and old jeans, wondered around each store for about twenty minutes and never found what I needed. Went to Kmart and was there for about 30 minutes and still no luck so it was off to Food City for supplies. Went in Taco Bell to eat and the place was full of high school kids and I don’t think one person in any of the mentioned stores even noticed my Glock on my hip. Not one stare, look or remark, just the way I like it!!

I’m posting today’s experience in response to an earlier poster challenging me to leave my radio and shirt at home and then see what happens, guess what?? Nothing happened. Do I live in a great state or what?????

leitung
03-31-2008, 14:41
:50cal:
Makes me want to move to VA. Great stories...

RussP
03-31-2008, 14:48
:50cal:
Makes me want to move to VA. Great stories...If Sacramento wasn't in California, it's not a bad place to live...well, back in '73-'74 it wasn't too bad... :cool:
I lived in Fair Oaks...

sidewayz6.6
03-31-2008, 19:05

The guys probably just think it's sexy...I know I do.:supergrin::cool:

TheEggman
04-01-2008, 11:16
If Sacramento wasn't in California, it's not a bad place to live...well, back in '73-'74 it wasn't too bad... :cool:
I lived in Fair Oaks...

The former 'mayor for life' of Washington once said that the crime rate in DC was quite low, if you didn't count the killings.'

RussP
04-01-2008, 11:22
If Sacramento wasn't in California, it's not a bad place to live...well, back in '73-'74 it wasn't too bad... :cool:
I lived in Fair Oaks...The former 'mayor for life' of Washington once said that the crime rate in DC was quite low, if you didn't count the killings.'I'm confused. What's the relationship between my statement and yours? :wavey:

TheEggman
04-01-2008, 13:27
I'm confused. What's the relationship between my statement and yours? :wavey:

"If Sacramento wasn't in California," :)

leitung
04-01-2008, 13:32
Sacramento sucks, Roseville/Rocklin are not too bad. I live in the Antelope area, I hate it because it's too close to north highlands where all of the crime takes place. Hell there was a high speed pursuit down Antelope Road this morning. Woke me right up.
I want out of the suburbs/city. I need peace and quiet.

Prometheus77
04-01-2008, 16:08
Open carried over the weekend all over NW Indiana from Cabelas to Jimmy Johns subs... no one freaked, no cops were called, normal everyday transactions happened just as if I wasn't even carrying.

RussP
04-01-2008, 16:21
"If Sacramento wasn't in California," :)
Okay...

RussP
04-01-2008, 16:57
Today was interesting.

Went to Wal-Mart carrying G22 in a Serpa CQC OWB - no problems.

Next was the local Radio Shack and new manager and sales associate. No problems.

Yeah, I know, boring...

Grocery store was the same. Lots of people smiling at me, nodding their heads.

Last I went to the local convenience store for a Lotto ticket. As I'm walking across the parking area some guy comes into the gas area like he was making a pit stop at RIR! (Our NASCAR raceway)
I have to step back to avoid him, then continue to the door. He gets out and jogs toward the front door to beat me there. Then he looks down, sees the pistol, looks up with big eyes and holds the door open for me and says, "Sorry sir, that was too fast, huh?" I just looked at him, said yep, and walked through the door he was graciously holding open.

As I checked out, I said hi to the owner/manager (I didn't know which then). He looked like he wanted to ask me something, so I said, "My name is RussP. We've not met yet."

He told me his name, Mr. Singh, and quickly asked, "What pistol is that."

Told him what it was, and added, "That's the .40 caliber."

"Oh, yes, my policeman friend told me I should get that caliber."

I asked if he owned firearms before. "Yes, but our son was born, and guns are dangerous, so I sold it. My [policeman] friend tells me I need a safe if I get another gun."

I jumped on that. "He is right, and there are many styles."

Then I told him about the range where I shoot and that they offer the class required for a concealed handgun permit.

He and his brother recently bought this and a couple other stores. He said, "I am not comfortable opening a store early before sunrise, and closing at 11, AND, then I have to take money to the bank. We have very good police, but they can't be with me all the time. I want my carry permit. I've seen you here a few times. I feel better when you are here."
I reminded him he needs to go to the range, shoot a few pistols and decide what is right for him and then take the class.

"He said, "I will, but I will see you again and maybe we can talk more about carrying?"

I said, "Of course." We shook hands and I left.

He was discussing all this in front of his employees, so I am going to have to ask about their policy on employees carrying. I know many years ago one lady carried.

So, all in all, it was a good day.

Warp
04-01-2008, 19:28
Open carried over the weekend all over NW Indiana from Cabelas to Jimmy Johns subs... no one freaked, no cops were called, normal everyday transactions happened just as if I wasn't even carrying.

I've done the same.

Even the old Southlake Mall the day after Thanksgiving.

Lone_Wolfe
04-01-2008, 22:25
I open carry almost daily around here in SE Arizona. I get the occasional "Is that a 9mm?" (no) or "What kind of holster is that?" (Bianchi). Several time I've been asked questions about guns or shooting in general. In fact I've been asked to get my AZ trainer certification to teach a ladies CCW class around here.

RussP
04-02-2008, 12:45
...I've been asked to get my AZ trainer certification to teach a ladies CCW class around here.
Do it, please... Too few women teachers.

Lone_Wolfe
04-02-2008, 18:46
Do it, please... Too few women teachers.

Thanks for the encouragement Russ. I'm looking into getting the necessary NRA certification now. I'm open to suggestions in that area. the class I'm choosing is Defensive Pistol.

Warp
04-02-2008, 19:05
Thanks for the encouragement Russ. I'm looking into getting the necessary NRA certification now. I'm open to suggestions in that area. the class I'm choosing is Defensive Pistol.

I agree with Russ.

IMO having more female instructors/teachers would get more women to take that step.

mustangdave
04-03-2008, 16:49
Today at Commerce Bank I noticed a teller look at me, then she did a half smile and went back to helping her customer. Taco Bell was a little fun :supergrin:. I walk in and a bunch of employees were at the register, they weren't busy, and one saw me and had a "oh crap" look on his face. He said really quietly "Hi, how may I help..." I smiled and said "Hi, I'd like to get a #7, please". After I got my cup and fill it up I hear someone say "Hey", when I turned around it was the cashier that waited on me. The group wanted to know where I worked, I told them, the same guy asked "Then what are you doing with a gun?" "Exercising my rights" I said, a woman said "that's not a real gun, it's a bb gun", "no, it's real" I told her, she jokingly spread her arms around the employees and said really loud "Don't move!". "Well how old are you?" the all asked, "I'm 22" I tell them, someone said "Oh, we thought you were like 16, 17." I smiled and said "yeah I get that alot."

After that and it comed down, the cashier asked me about my firearm, then got my food and everyone was really polite, I loved it!

BTW if you can't tell, I'm really bad with my writing skills.

Lone_Wolfe
04-03-2008, 19:08
My car was running on fumes so I stopped to have my wallet lightened and it finally happened....

I was filling up my car and a biker was filling up his bike on the other side of the island. He finished first and jumped on, fired up his bike and started off.
Then he did a slow lap around me as I stood at the rear of my car, in my work clothes, sunglasses on, hair being whipped around by typical AZ wind, and of course one each P99 in a holster in plain sight to him. He slowed down near me and said those words....

"Love Your Mustang!!"

RussP
04-03-2008, 20:11
My car was running on fumes so I stopped to have my wallet lightened and it finally happened....

I was filling up my car and a biker was filling up his bike on the other side of the island. He finished first and jumped on, fired up his bike and started off.
Then he did a slow lap around me as I stood at the rear of my car, in my work clothes, sunglasses on, hair being whipped around by typical AZ wind, and of course one each P99 in a holster in plain sight to him. He slowed down near me and said those words....

"Love Your Mustang!!"

:thumbsup:Ah, that happens all the time, 'cept it's more like, "Love your son's/daughter's Mustang!"

:animlol:

I see more women and men from 50 to whatever driving Mustangs around here than the younger crowd - You know, under 40!!

One man has a light-blue 2005 Cobra that sounds so fine...... :faint:

GoneGlock
04-04-2008, 10:14
Too bad OC is not so common,no one judges you if you do.
Sure would make life easier,and safer.
I do like CCW because the bad guy doesn't know Im carrying.
Still in some situations, OC would be great.

mnglocker
04-04-2008, 11:11
I"m guessing that you meant to hit "post reply" in the "More Tales..." sticky?

And there's only one way to make OC so prevalent that no one notices anymore. :thumbsup:

Warp
04-04-2008, 18:27
And there's only one way to make OC so prevalent that no one notices anymore. :thumbsup:

mjb1
04-06-2008, 15:45
I read, "More tales of Oprah Carrying." :wow: :wavey:

mnglocker
04-06-2008, 22:54
I read, "More tales of Oprah Carrying." :wow: :wavey:

And then hell froze over.... :whistling::rofl:

:wavey:

rsagona1
04-07-2008, 18:50

Please don't take offense to this, but I'm a bit confused. Are you not 21? I always assumed from your posts you'd be a bit older.

RussP
04-07-2008, 18:56
Please don't take offense to this, but I'm a bit confused. Are you not 21? I always assumed from your posts you'd be a bit older.The sales associate at Wal-Mart is under 21, rsagona....

Course, ask my grandchildren and they'd tell you, "He's only as old as he needs to be. Playing with 5-yr olds, he's 5. With teens - he's crazy."

No offense.

dosman23
04-07-2008, 18:57
Please don't take offense to this, but I'm a bit confused. Are you not 21? I always assumed from your posts you'd be a bit older.

I don't think he is under 21... The clerk was under 21. new policy of Wallyworlds. I had to read it twice myself.

WIG19
04-08-2008, 06:54
Had to get 'dressed up' over the weekend for a memorial to say 'Adios' to a dear friend. Local convenience store gal (coffee & newspaper in AM) had her focus on complimenting my tie (which I'm seldom seen in) while giving me a hard-time as usual. At same-chain store across the river where I get cheap(er) gas focus was on selling me some cinnamon rolls (which I don't need). While pumping gas on a beautiful spring day I reaffirmed, with others around me engaged in same task, that most people don't notice when you're engaging them in friendly (read 'unthreatening') conversation anyway.

Bill Lumberg
04-08-2008, 10:12
Warp ordered me to revise and expand upon my viewpoint rather than doing a drive-by:
It is a bad idea for many folks, and a good idea for others. I carry openly from time to time, but very rarely do so off-duty, becuase of inherent drawbacks. For someone experienced, mature, and well trained, I support open carry. Many ccw'ers with limited experience, limited maturity, or with limited training are most certainly not well served by open carrying. One size does not fit all. There are some folks that I know from reading their posts or from knowing them personally, that are squared away, and it makes me feel good that they open carry where legal and appropriate. There are others that should not pass go, nor collect 200 dollars. We hold somewhat dissimilar viewpoints, but not entirely so.

Forgoten214
04-08-2008, 12:05
Has anyone open carried a Desert Eagle before? I was just curious as i know this is not practical.

RussP
04-08-2008, 12:13
Has anyone open carried a Desert Eagle before? I was just curious as i know this is not practical.
I have only seen that at gun shows, but then, my friends are more the low-profile handgun people.

Forgoten214
04-08-2008, 12:21
I bet that must be a sight to see, Does anyone OC here in the Lehigh Valley, PA? I thought about it but skeptical about it.

mnglocker
04-08-2008, 13:45

There's one guy in the group of us that meet up on a regular basis who will carry his DE.50 in a vertical shoulder holster when we're at The Eff'n Gopher Bar.

But The Eff'n Gopher Bar is a whole nother story. :supergrin:

RussP
04-08-2008, 14:07
There's one guy in the group of us that meet up on a regular basis who will carry his DE.50 in a vertical shoulder holster when we're at The Eff'n Gopher Bar.

But The Eff'n Gopher Bar is a whole nother story. :supergrin:For those who did not read about the breakfast meetings... http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805570&highlight=gopher

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805446&highlight=gopher

:supergrin: :rofl: :cool:

Lone_Wolfe
04-08-2008, 16:40
For those who did not read about the breakfast meetings... http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805570&highlight=gopher

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805446&highlight=gopher

:supergrin: :rofl: :cool:

I just did. If I'm ever up in that neck of the woods I'll make it a point to eat there!

mnglocker
04-08-2008, 17:34
I just did. If I'm ever up in that neck of the woods I'll make it a point to eat there!

They wouldn't let you leave. :whistling::hearts::wavey:

Forgoten214
04-08-2008, 18:51
lol i bet he has alot to say

Lone_Wolfe
04-08-2008, 19:17
They wouldn't let you leave. :whistling::hearts::wavey:

Are you saying I'd have to use my gun to escape the place? :rofl:

RussP
04-08-2008, 19:20
Are you saying I'd have to use my gun to escape the place? :rofl:

Don't make me lock this :animlol: :animlol:

Norman
04-08-2008, 19:29
<--- wishes FL was open carry optional. I'd love to get together with my Gainesville GT buddies for lunch or dinner and pack a table with gun-packin' folks. The looks from others would be interesting.

Lone_Wolfe
04-08-2008, 19:46
Don't make me lock this :animlol: :animlol:

Aw, Russ, where's your sense of humor? :laughing: :laughing:

RussP
04-08-2008, 20:15
Aw, Russ, where's your sense of humor? :laughing: :laughing:
Still laughing imagining the response you'd get at The Eff'n Gopher Bar. :rofl: :rofl:

Lone_Wolfe
04-08-2008, 20:43
Still laughing imagining the response you'd get at The Eff'n Gopher Bar. :rofl: :rofl:

And what response would that be? :supergrin:

mnglocker
04-08-2008, 22:03
And what response would that be? :supergrin:

Wolf Calls. :tongueout:

kelsitone
04-08-2008, 22:29
Looks like a bit of OCing was done today in Ohio. I did a quick in and out at the convenient store down the street from my house. I don't think anyone noticed. I'm usually in this particular store at least 3 or 4 times a week, so they're pretty used to me and the sight of my gun. They even opened up a register when they saw me standing in line.

Then, after work, I took my mother to WalMart while OCing. After we got back to her house, I asked her if she was surprised nobody had said anything. She said she was. Then she told me I was going to have to teach her to shoot and help her pick out a gun. :supergrin:

rvrctyrngr
04-09-2008, 10:46
<------Echoes the thought.

Guess for now I'll just have to deal with a couple of IDPA buds CCing at Hooter's after the monthly match. :crying:

<--- wishes FL was open carry optional. I'd love to get together with my Gainesville GT buddies for lunch or dinner and pack a table with gun-packin' folks. The looks from others would be interesting.

Blitzer
04-09-2008, 11:54

That new avatar is difficult to see. :crying:

RussP
04-09-2008, 13:14
That new avatar is difficult to see. :crying:
?????

mnglocker
04-09-2008, 14:05
.... On my errands today I OC'ed through Menard's again, swung through the Ford dealer too to see what the deal is with some gas card thing that I won, the city hall to pick up tabs at the DMV window, checked out a gun shop I hadn't seen before and I stopped in at the local HD dealer to check out some used Sportster 1200s.

Not even one word or double take. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 30pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>Maybe I should wear a neon green shirt next time.

Razoreye
04-09-2008, 22:27

"the fact that you have 'Replica' written on the side of your gun and the fact that I have 'Desert Eagle Point Five Oh' written on the side of mine..." :rofl: I'd like to make that meeting... sounds great!

Lone_Wolfe
04-09-2008, 23:15
I'd love to be there too. I'll carry my S&W 500 Magnum in a hunter holster. :supergrin:

mustangdave
04-10-2008, 14:17
Well, tonight a few of us OCers from OCDO will be getting together at IHOP. Should be at least 4. IHOP has been great to us.

Edit- Went to wawa to get luch for tomorrow and get some cash for the IHOP meet. As I was at the mac the cashier kept starring at me, but nothing more that just curiosity, I assume. I made my order and paid, nothing, I walked over to the deli and the woman asked me if I was a cop, I told her no. She asked why I had a gun, I told her for self defence purposes, and added that if it is legal for you to purchase a gun you can carry it openly. She said she thought I was a teenager, I told her I was 22 and I get that alot. She wanted to know what would a cop do if one saw me, I told her if they know the law then nothing would happen but if they were ignorant of it they might try to charge me with something. She asked another woman, who I assume was a supervisor, if she ever heard of this, and she said yup as long as it's not concealed. They both said "be safe" as I was leaving and of course I thanked them. Great encounter.

akgunnut
04-11-2008, 02:08
I open carried at the Golden Corral here in Anchorage AK. I got a few stares and double takes, but nobody freaked out, or asked me about my sidearm.

Hokie
04-11-2008, 10:42
OCed for the first time today. Walked over to Wendys for some lunch. No one said a thing about my sidearm.

kelsitone
04-11-2008, 18:21
OCed for the first time today. Walked over to Wendys for some lunch. No one said a thing about my sidearm.

Congratulations on your first open carry experience. :thumbsup:

I went to the convenient store down the street again today. One of the new employees was working the register and was very friendly.

(I promise I'll stop posting about going to the same place. :supergrin: ...unless something interesting happens.)

RussP
04-11-2008, 19:43
Went in the local convenience store for the winning lotto ticket.

As I went toward the door, another gentleman my age was two paces in front of me. He looked back, I told him to go ahead, he looked down at my pistol, smiled and said, "You first, please. Nice pistol."

I said thank you and walked in.

I picked up some chips and went to the counter. A woman came in behind me. I looked, she had a $10 bill in her hand, so I figured she needed gas, a simple, quick transaction, so I asked if she would like to go in front of me since I would take more time with the lotto.

She accepted and stepped ahead. She looked down at the pistol and just smiled.

When she finished she turned, thanked me again and left.

It is the impression we leave with people in the course of doing our everday business that people will remember...."I met a nice man with a gun today. He let me go ahead of him at the convenience store. He didn't have a badge, so guess he's one of those regular people who carry."

Sure, that may be an optimistic scenario as to what happened when she got home, but she did have a good experience with a "man with a gun".

B1rd
04-11-2008, 20:00
"I met a nice man with a gun today. He let me go ahead of him at the convenience store. He didn't have a badge, so guess he's one of those regular people who carry."
[/I][/B][/U][/COLOR]

Or she thought you wanted her $10 to be included in your "take". :rofl:

boyscout399
04-16-2008, 12:51
Needed some new shoes today. Open carried to Famous Footwear, then to Target. The manager at the shoe store asked what I was carrying. I told him it was a H&K USPc and he said he didn't know you could carry like that. I let him know that it was okay to open carry here in Maine, but that if he was uncomfortable with it he had the right to ask me to leave (I thought he was uncomfortable with it) but he said, "No, I just don't see if often. I wish more people would do it."

I thanked him, made my purchase, and departed with a warm feeling. They have earned my business permanently!

Lone_Wolfe
04-16-2008, 14:28
Needed some new shoes today. Open carried to Famous Footwear, then to Target. The manager at the shoe store asked what I was carrying. I told him it was a H&K USPc and he said he didn't know you could carry like that. I let him know that it was okay to open carry here in Maine, but that if he was uncomfortable with it he had the right to ask me to leave (I thought he was uncomfortable with it) but he said, "No, I just don't see if often. I wish more people would do it."

I thanked him, made my purchase, and departed with a warm feeling. They have earned my business permanently!

Now that's a good experience!

IKZ
04-16-2008, 15:38
All of this makes me hate MD SOOOOO much! Open carry sure would be nice! Glad to see others exercising their rights where their respective state allows it. :cool:

RussP
04-16-2008, 15:42
Or she thought you wanted her $10 to be included in your "take". :rofl:You had to be there, Bird. She looked me directly in the eyes when I first turned toward her. The look was a little hard at first, then it softened. She made up her mind I was okay.

Resqu2
04-19-2008, 16:48
Guess I scared someone today while OC'ing, had finished getting robbed at the gas pump and was in line to pay and a guy from New York got in line to pay behind me. There was a few in front of me getting robbed first so it was taking a minute and he looked down and saw my Kimber strapped on my hip and he took two steps back. I didn't even look at him but he kept backing up and by the time I payed and was leaving he had backed all the way down the isle and was in the back of the store. Guess he will be glad to get out of a gun friendly state like good ol VA.

Guess you don't see guns in NYC unless your hanging around with NYC Drew.

RussP
04-19-2008, 17:19
Bad boy!!

Lone_Wolfe
04-19-2008, 22:49
Went to a reloading class in Tucson today. On my way home I stopped to get robbed at the gas pump. I was leaned over my car scraping the first 10 layers of Arizona bug supply off my windshield. A man passed a bit close to me on the way to his pickup so I looked at him going by. He said "What ya packin'?
Me "Walther P99. What're you packin'?
Him "Ha! Nothing!
Me "Why not??"
Him "You're right. This is a kinda bad neighborhood."
Me "Bad things can happen in good neighborhoods too!"
Him "you're right about that."

I told him to stay safe and got back in my car and put Tucson in my rear view mirror for today.

Jason607
04-20-2008, 00:12
I don't OC much in public, but I have started around the house and out doing yard work. I had an issue with 4wheelers riding in my yard. Before OC, they just tried to sneak it when they thought I wasn't home, or they would just pass through real fast, now that I OC, they won't come near my lawn at any time. :tongueout:

grishnav
04-20-2008, 00:18
I usually post my open carry stories on another forum. I'm going to copy and paste a few of the better ones. Most of these are older.

Went to lunch with a friend of mine, and then took her on the hunt for a perfect laptop bag, all while displaying my shiny new Glock 22.

Lunch was at Plenty Buffett off of Eastman Parkway in Gresham.

After that, we began the hunt.

We interacted with staff at every one of the stores to ask them where the laptop bags were.

First stop was the Samsonite outlet store in Troutdale. Not so much as a glance.

Next stop: Across the mall to Totes. Nothin'.

Then Best Buy, back near where we'd had lunch, just off of Division and Eastman. We'd already looked through the laptop bags, decided nothing was of interest, and were just browsing through the movies on the way out when approached by a Staff member, who asked me... *cue drumroll and dramatic music*

...What I carried. "Glock 22, 40 caliber". He thought it was awesome. Another staffer walked up, and asked Staffer #1, "So was I right? Is it a 9?" "Nope, 40." "Even better!"

Staffer #1 asked me if I was getting my concealed. "Already got it." He then asked me, "So why do you need to carry it like that then?" -- not in a WTF-is-wrong-with-you sort of way, but more in a, I-have-some-knowledge-of-the-law-and-know-you-can-openly-carry-without-a-permit, but-why-still-do-it-if-you-have-a-permit... kinda way.

My friend interrupted and said "For attention." She was just kidding, and she knows better, but I corrected her anyway. He kinda said something about how it would have the opposite affect anyway, because nobody would want to mess with a guy with a big ol' gun on his hip, and I told him that deterrence was actually one of the reasons I carried openly from time to time.

Staffer #2 told us he was working on getting his concealed permit, and asked me a few questions about the process. I gave him some information about my experience, and then we all parted ways.

All in all, quite positive.

After that, tried office max, fred meyer, Wally world, and Target. (gresham, gresham, wood village, and fairview I think?). No reactions.

All in all, I consider the day a success!

grishnav
04-20-2008, 00:19
Older story...

Went to Wally World last night to do a bit of last minute Valentines day shopping. Entered through the North entrance past the greeter on my strongside. Didn't even seem to notice. Milled around for a bit looking for what I needed, made a few selections, and realized I needed a cart. Returned to the northside doors to get a car, past the same greeter. He trusted me to get my own cart with merchendise in hand, which is odd, as even the guy that runs around in a wheelchair insisted on getting a cart for me when I've had merch in my hands in the past, due to theft concerns. Guess he trusted the guy with the gun?

Put my stuff in the cart, went back, got the reamining items that I needed. Paid and left without so much as anyone batting an eye. Everyone around me was friendly and helpful the entire time.

grishnav
04-20-2008, 00:20
Older story...

Got myself a new Glock 22 today (technically yesterday now :P) with my tax refund money. Yay!

Had to open carry it in it's brand new Blackhawk CQC Serpa just to celebrate.

First stop was Thousand Acres with the dog. No trouble from anyone and not even a second glance.

Next was the 7-11 at 242nd and Division.

Then the little Caesars.

Finally, the Safeway at Burnside and Division.

No problems... not so much as a second glance... from anyone at any of the locations.

grishnav
04-20-2008, 00:20
Older story

So myself and a friend were bored, and she was stressed and needed to get out of the house for a while.

I've been itching to OC on the max, ever since a thread was posted about it a while back (and in fact I'm working, albeit slowly, with Dave on the Oregon equivelant of the WGR pamphlet), so I suggested that we grab some all day tickets and go all the way to Hillsboro and back.

So, we started out at the eastmost point (Cleaveland Avenue) and rode all the way to Hillsboro, stopping at Lloyd Center (surprisingly, nobody noticed, nobody cared... i wouldn't reocommend others try this, though... we were just runnin' in for a quick cinnabon), and went all the way to Hillsboro. Stopped in Portland on the way back looking for Italian Sodas from about 9:00-10:30. No, we didn't find any. We did ask the TriMet secuirty guard hanging around the square, though. (Sidenote: There were a ton of security guards starting at about Lloyd and ending around Beaverton, but didn't see a single transit police.) He didn't know where we could get italian sodas.

So we wandered around some bars and restaurants asking for italian sodas, and at one point, to use the restroom. Then we hopped back on the train and continued back to Gresham.

On this trip, I did catch somebody eyeing my piece, and they pointed at it and tried to get my attention. Normally, I'd be more than happy to engage someone who noticed in a conversation about my firearm (opportunity to educate!), but something about this guy just screamed "anti lookin' for a fight". Why an anti would try to pick a fight with somebody openly carrying a GLOCK 22 is beyond me... Maybe they wanted to try to be a martyr?

Oh well... We'll never know because I trusted my instincts and ignored him. Just kept talking to my friend, acting like I didn't hear him (he was trying to interupt anyway, and didn't even wait for a break in the conversation...jerk). He gave up really quickly and didn't escalate his attempts to get my attention, so it must not have been that important. Besides, subduing the enemy without ever fighting is the true acme of skill. My mission for this trip was to expose people to Open Carry by regular old citizens, not necessarily to educate. If he was listening to our conversation (I'm sure he was), he would have quickly realized I was neither a cop nor a security guard, so in that sense, I avoided (what I sensed would have been) a nasty verbal confrontation and accomplished my mission. Nifty.

Got home, went to bed. Really nothing to tell. Totally and completely uneventful. Might as well have been carrying concealed, except OC is WAY more comfortable.

And I think that's all I'll post for now, to avoid spamming the thread too much. :)

Almost all of my stories can be summed up as "Nothing happened," with only one bad experience and a few good ones sprinkled in.

Warp
04-20-2008, 08:43
Older story

So myself and a friend were bored, and she was stressed and needed to get out of the house for a while.

I've been itching to OC on the max, ever since a thread was posted about it a while back (and in fact I'm working, albeit slowly, with Dave on the Oregon equivelant of the WGR pamphlet), so I suggested that we grab some all day tickets and go all the way to Hillsboro and back.

So, we started out at the eastmost point (Cleaveland Avenue) and rode all the way to Hillsboro, stopping at Lloyd Center (surprisingly, nobody noticed, nobody cared... i wouldn't reocommend others try this, though... we were just runnin' in for a quick cinnabon), and went all the way to Hillsboro. Stopped in Portland on the way back looking for Italian Sodas from about 9:00-10:30. No, we didn't find any. We did ask the TriMet secuirty guard hanging around the square, though. (Sidenote: There were a ton of security guards starting at about Lloyd and ending around Beaverton, but didn't see a single transit police.) He didn't know where we could get italian sodas.

So we wandered around some bars and restaurants asking for italian sodas, and at one point, to use the restroom. Then we hopped back on the train and continued back to Gresham.

On this trip, I did catch somebody eyeing my piece, and they pointed at it and tried to get my attention. Normally, I'd be more than happy to engage someone who noticed in a conversation about my firearm (opportunity to educate!), but something about this guy just screamed "anti lookin' for a fight". Why an anti would try to pick a fight with somebody openly carrying a GLOCK 22 is beyond me... Maybe they wanted to try to be a martyr?

Oh well... We'll never know because I trusted my instincts and ignored him. Just kept talking to my friend, acting like I didn't hear him (he was trying to interupt anyway, and didn't even wait for a break in the conversation...jerk). He gave up really quickly and didn't escalate his attempts to get my attention, so it must not have been that important. Besides, subduing the enemy without ever fighting is the true acme of skill. My mission for this trip was to expose people to Open Carry by regular old citizens, not necessarily to educate. If he was listening to our conversation (I'm sure he was), he would have quickly realized I was neither a cop nor a security guard, so in that sense, I avoided (what I sensed would have been) a nasty verbal confrontation and accomplished my mission. Nifty.

Got home, went to bed. Really nothing to tell. Totally and completely uneventful. Might as well have been carrying concealed, except OC is WAY more comfortable.

And I think that's all I'll post for now, to avoid spamming the thread too much. :)

Almost all of my stories can be summed up as "Nothing happened," with only one bad experience and a few good ones sprinkled in.

Very good chance it was all a bunch of hot air, but when I ventured over the Democratic Underground (DU) awhile back there was a guy who claimed "If I ever find anybody "packing" a gun I'll beat their ass, those stupid ****s endanger us all." Seriously. :upeyes:

Resqu2
04-20-2008, 18:21
Does anyone else run into others that OC, I've been carrying (CCW & OC) for just under a year now and have only seen one other guy OC'ing and that was in a gun store. Even before I started carrying I can't ever remember seeing anyone packing?

Warp
04-20-2008, 18:32
Does anyone else run into others that OC, I've been carrying (CCW & OC) for just under a year now and have only seen one other guy OC'ing and that was in a gun store. Even before I started carrying I can't ever remember seeing anyone packing?

Since I started carrying about 2.5 years ago I have seen 2 people open carry not at a gun show, gun range or gun store.

mustangdave
04-20-2008, 19:55
I saw one OCer outside of our OC 'meetings', but turned out he was part of the group. He was leaving Commerce Bank just as I entered.

grishnav
04-20-2008, 22:49
Never. Not even at a gun store or show.

panzer1
04-24-2008, 02:59
Rock on where it's legal. If you get detained, don't complain. Every last person with my agency is conversant with citizen carry law in the area they're working. And if there's any allegation or observation of iffy behavior, they're going to get stopped and talked to. Nothing wrong, they'll be sent on their way in short order.That right only L/E has the right to defend them self.If o/c the law in your state then why can't you do just that?I guess I know how you(your agency) are going to vote! BHO?:tongueout:And what do you mean by "iffy behavior"?Dose that mean walking down the street?Don't get me wrong I am not anti-L/E at all ,but I have seen the type that don't like non-L/E to carry or have guns at all.I don't think that you are one of them.(I hope not) but maybe your agency is.No disrespect intend.

Rémy
04-24-2008, 09:32
ad Warp:
this thread is all about open carrying for self defense, not duty.
So wearing a gun is just for "fun". You need not carry a gun.
You wouldnt carry a gun for self defense if you don't like guns, wouldnt you?

Carrying a gun in Austria is only allowed for certain people that can justify it because of their job (cash handling, security, taxi drivers, politicians etc.). Everyone else isn't allowed to carry a gun (doesn't matter if it's open or conceiled carry). For self defense you are only allowed to have a gun at home - if you pass the tests and other regulations.

Warp
04-24-2008, 09:38
Carrying a gun in Austria is only allowed for certain people that can justify it because of their job (cash handling, security, taxi drivers, politicians etc.). Everyone else isn't allowed to carry a gun (doesn't matter if it's open or conceiled carry). For self defense you are only allowed to have a gun at home - if you pass the tests and other regulations.

That's what I thought.

MUCH different than the majority of the United States. We have a few more freedoms. :)

RussP
04-24-2008, 10:13
ad Warp:
this thread is all about open carrying for self defense, not duty.
So wearing a gun is just for "fun". You need not carry a gun.
You wouldnt carry a gun for self defense if you don't like guns, wouldnt you?

Carrying a gun in Austria is only allowed for certain people that can justify it because of their job (cash handling, security, taxi drivers, politicians etc.). Everyone else isn't allowed to carry a gun (doesn't matter if it's open or conceiled carry). For self defense you are only allowed to have a gun at home - if you pass the tests and other regulations.Actually, Rémy, I use to carry for fun when I was a boy hunting squirrels. Heck, boys walking down the road with .22s and shotguns was pretty normal. Walking back empty handed, no game, was embarrassing.

Carrying a firearm is our Right here in America. Unfortunately, honest law abiding citizens have become the hunted by criminals.

The decision to carry for self defense should not be made lightly for it comes with enormous responsibilities. Taking responsibility for my safety, my family's safety, however, is most important.

Now, lets get back to sharing our experiences while open carrying.

glockcarry'n
04-27-2008, 08:59
Several recent events here in Virginia have awakened me to the idea of carrying a pistol. The sniper shootings in DC, the VA Tech massacre, and the interstate 64 shootings in Afton/Waynesboro plus other incidents that only make the local paper. I've owned and used guns all my life and served 6 years in the Navy but was too intimidated to open carry, despite having a LOT of firearms experience. But recently I purchased a G27 for a CCW and open carry. I've applied for a CCW permit but have not recieved it yet so in the meantime I've been carrying it open. I've been doing it now for several weeks and NO bad police incidents have occured.

I own a mobile tool store and open carry on my weekly route. I see a lot of people on a weekly basis and nobody really notices. Of the few that ask about it most of them show me thier piece. I now know several of my customers that carry.

I've been to the Food Lion in Fishersville on 250, the McDonalds/Exxon at the 250/I-81 interchange, several gas stations, restaurants, around Staunton, Waynesboro, Fishersville, and Stuarts Draft, all with no incidents.

Only two offecers noticed my gun, one waved politly after seeing it and the other just smiled. (amost with satisfaction that there are actually armed citizens out there)

So, my open carry experiece in Staunton Virginia has been a positive one thus far. Even after I get my CCW permit I will still open carry in warm weather. When it gets cold and I have a jacket on I'll still have the gun in the same place, just covered with a jacket (thus the CCW permit). In fact there is a gun show at expo land in Fishersville today. I think I'll go.

Resqu2
04-27-2008, 12:06
Several recent events here in Virginia have awakened me to the idea of carrying a pistol. The sniper shootings in DC, the VA Tech massacre, and the interstate 64 shootings in Afton/Waynesboro plus other incidents that only make the local paper. I've owned and used guns all my life and served 6 years in the Navy but was too intimidated to open carry, despite having a LOT of firearms experience. But recently I purchased a G27 for a CCW and open carry. I've applied for a CCW permit but have not recieved it yet so in the meantime I've been carrying it open. I've been doing it now for several weeks and NO bad police incidents have occured.

I own a mobile tool store and open carry on my weekly route. I see a lot of people on a weekly basis and nobody really notices. Of the few that ask about it most of them show me thier piece. I now know several of my customers that carry.

I've been to the Food Lion in Fishersville on 250, the McDonalds/Exxon at the 250/I-81 interchange, several gas stations, restaurants, around Staunton, Waynesboro, Fishersville, and Stuarts Draft, all with no incidents.

Only two offecers noticed my gun, one waved politly after seeing it and the other just smiled. (amost with satisfaction that there are actually armed citizens out there)

So, my open carry experiece in Staunton Virginia has been a positive one thus far. Even after I get my CCW permit I will still open carry in warm weather. When it gets cold and I have a jacket on I'll still have the gun in the same place, just covered with a jacket (thus the CCW permit). In fact there is a gun show at expo land in Fishersville today. I think I'll go.

Welcome to GT and the OC world in general. Hang around here, lots of good people and lots of good info also.

Resqu2
04-27-2008, 12:31
Went to O'Charlie's for lunch on Saturday and the place was kinda busy. G27 on my hip in a retention holster as usual, Manager was working the door seating people and as we were getting seated he looked at my Glock and smiled and said you must be on duty. I just nodded yes and added that I hope I don't get any calls during dinner. He came by later and thanked us and wanted to check and see if everything was good. He added that he was glad that we weren't interrupted and got to have a good lunch.

Another typical OC experience here in good ol VA.

BTW before the anti OC crowd jumps me the place does serve alcohol so OC is required by law in VA.

Lone_Wolfe
04-27-2008, 12:59
A few days ago I went to the local Walfart and as I was walking in I saw another OC'ed gun on someone going out. I thought he looked familiar at first so I said something. When he said that wasn't him I apologised and kept going toward the entrance. A few seconds later I had my nose in the Petunia display and he came back over to me and asked what I was carrying. I quietly said "Walther P99" since there were other folks around. He asked if it was a 45 and I said "No, it's a 40". He said his was a Taurus something in 45 and then he pulled out his spare mag to show me the ammo. I thought that was dumb and started to move away from him. He put it back and we talked for about a minute about 45's in general before I got away from him. I didn't like having that conversation in the Garden entrance to a Walfart, but other than that an OK day.

This one's better;
Yesterday I was on my way home from the range and decided someone else was going to cook for me. Arizona's stupid law about no carry in restaurants with liquor licenses really limits where I can eat so I chose Golden Trough. I sat in my favorite waitress' section during the meal everyone in the section ended talking to each other. One older gentleman told a joke about firefighters (A good one, not offensive). I stopped by his table on my way out and we talked briefly about some experience I had with woodlond firefighting. As I was about to go he asked "Why do you carry a gun?"
I said "Self defense. Because I can't carry a cop."
He about busted a gut :laughing: :animlol: :rofl: and I could still hear peals of laughter as I went out the exit.

Warp
04-27-2008, 13:02
I recently open carried to Walmart and Costco. Again.

No issues whatsoever. A woman asked me to put a couple of 50 pound bags of rice into her cart at Costco. Didn't seem to mind hte gun in the least.

Resqu2
04-27-2008, 15:56
I recently open carried to Walmart and Costco. Again.

No issues whatsoever. A woman asked me to put a couple of 50 pound bags of rice into her cart at Costco. Didn't seem to mind hte gun in the least.

I have seen lots of people talk about Costco's being posted, hope they don't post the one your referring too.

theghostrider
04-27-2008, 16:46
I have seen lots of people talk about Costco's being posted, hope they don't post the one your referring too.
I've checked, and none of the Costco's in my city are posted.

rvrctyrngr
04-27-2008, 16:50
Nor are the ones in my city. Not that it would matter. 'Posted' doesn't mean diddly in FL.

Warp
04-27-2008, 17:55

None of hte ones I use have been.

And I carried openly when we signed up. Had to wait in line, etc. I decided that they had a chance to say/do something aobut it then, before I signed and gave them money.

I've open carried there multiple times, all is good so far.

cmbf117
05-03-2008, 12:20
Went to a local Virginia ABC store for some libations a day or two ago, and the clerk commented on my Glock. He was surprised at the laws regarding OC/CC, especially since he was given a concealed weapons charge for having a walmart airsoft pistol in his car when a cop stopped him. :shocked:

mustangdave
05-03-2008, 17:53
Went to Taco Bell (I think it's my 5th time there carrying), the guy took my order then:
him: What kind of gun is that?
me: Springfield XD.
him: Are you a cop or something?
me: Nope...as long as you can legally buy a gun you can carry it w/o a license as long as it's not concealed.
him: *shocked* Really - goes to get another employee and says what I'm doing is legal
her: You a cop or security guard? You just a regular citizen?
me: Nope, not a cop, I'm just a regular citizen.
her Can I see it?
me: If we were at a gun range I'd let you shoot it. I'm not taking my gun out of my holster here.
He was helping another customer, and she was asking if people give me weird looks, and about cops.
me: Haven't had a police encounter yet, but people sometimes give me weird looks.

I got my food, filled my cup and was asked about the price of bullets. Just as I'm about to leave he asks another question.

him: So, why do you carry a gun? (didn't sound in a negative way)
me: For self-defense. No one is resposible for my life except for me.

The other customer was nodding her head approving what I just said and what I'm doing.

Seems to strike up a conversation there alot.

RussP
05-07-2008, 14:51
In Post #1 I made the following request:
So I went to Outback Steak House with my trusty G27 strapped on my side in a nice leather holster...

Lets try this as an Open Carry sticky.

Just post about your open carry experiences, any problems you had, and positive encounters with others. If you want, describe your carry rig, how you dressed, time of day, frequency of carry in that location...any details that will help others decide whether open carry is for them.

Remember, Open Carry is NOT for everyone.

Laws restrict open carrying in certain jurisdictions.

If you disagree with open carry, that's fine, but this thread is NOT for arguing pro/con open carry. Any posts in that vein will be deleted.

If you to debate Open Carry, express your negative views, please we encourage you to start a new thread.

RussP
ModeratorPlease honor the request...

Thanks

certifiedfunds
05-21-2008, 17:50
Excellent post Russ!

I OC'd my first full day today. Only took it off once when entering the bank as I am personal friends with the president and many of the employees so I did it as a courtesy to them (in case it caused a ruckous). Instead, wore an empty holster.

Of course the full day out, it feels like 100lbs on my hip with a big blinking light on it screaming "GUN!" I don't know if anyone noticed, but I did notice something about myself........

I noticed that I was far friendlier and polite. Now I'm not normally a rude guy but I found myself going out of the way to be friendly and courteous....greeting cashiers who didn't greet me first, holding doors longer for someone coming in or out, smiling more, etc.

I attribute this to the fact that I was very conscious of the Glock on my hip and wanted, at all costs, to avoid an ugly situation. And, even more, I wanted to make a good impression on folks who may have noticed the gun and felt a little uncomfortable.

All in all, it was a good day.

Lone_Wolfe
05-22-2008, 01:56
:agree:

That's a good point you make, certifiedfunds. I'm the same way too. A lot more outgoing, patient and friendly when my P99 is in plain sight.

Thank you for posting

RussP
05-22-2008, 16:11
Just went to the grocery store, but met a couple real nice people.

First was a 25-ish woman shopping alone. I was getting one of those impossible-to-open plastic produce bags. Finally got it open and I turned and saw her looking past me to the bags. I handed her my open one. She took the bag and then looked down at my pistol. She grinned, said thank you and "no one's ever done such a nice simple thing for me. Are you...." and her voice trailed off. "No, I'm not in law enforcement. Just a regular guy." "Well," she said, "I've never met a really nice regular guy with a pistol. Thanks again for the bag."

She walked off smiling and humming some tune.

Several other people in the store noticed the pistol and smiled, either nodded hello or spoke a greeting.

Then, in the parking lot a woman had just finished loading her groceries into her bright yellow Mustang GT and was pushing her cart into the cart corral next to my Mustang.

"I like your car," I said. "Like yours, too," she responded. We stood and swapped car stories for 10 minutes. She noticed the pistol early on, but it seemed it made no difference to her.

Another non-event day. :yawn:

mustangdave
05-22-2008, 16:43
Went to wawa today to take some money out. Parking lot was kinda full, parked and got out, someone in the car next to me noticed the gun but I didn't see his reaction. Got to the door, a guy looked over and noticed the gun, no reaction. I'm sure many people in wawa saw but nothing was said (to me anyway).

Resqu2
05-22-2008, 16:58
At work today a few gals offered to buy my dinner if I would go and pick them up something too, too good of an offer to pass up. The lady called it in and I left early to get it and was carrying my Kimber IWB as I always do at work.

So as I was getting ready to go in I realized the place served alcohol so I had to quickly and discreetly tuck my shirt in behind the pistol to comply with our stupid laws, went in a had to wait awhile for my food and to even my surprise no one seemed to notice a thing. I don't like to carry that way, I don't think it looks appropriate for myself. I think if your going to OC then the gun should be in a holster with retention of some sorts but this time I was caught off guard and had to do what I did. I will admit that I was a little uncomfortable carrying that way. All was well in the end.

certifiedfunds
05-22-2008, 20:22
Just went to the grocery store, but met a couple real nice people.

First was a 25-ish woman shopping alone. I was getting one of those impossible-to-open plastic produce bags. Finally got it open and I turned and saw her looking past me to the bags. I handed her my open one. She took the bag and then looked down at my pistol. She grinned, said thank you and "no one's ever done such a nice simple thing for me. Are you...." and her voice trailed off. "No, I'm not in law enforcement. Just a regular guy." "Well," she said, "I've never met a really nice regular guy with a pistol. Thanks again for the bag."

She walked off smiling and humming some tune.

Several other people in the store noticed the pistol and smiled, either nodded hello or spoke a greeting.

Then, in the parking lot a woman had just finished loading her groceries into her bright yellow Mustang GT and was pushing her cart into the cart corral next to my Mustang.

"I like your car," I said. "Like yours, too," she responded. We stood and swapped car stories for 10 minutes. She noticed the pistol early on, but it seemed it made no difference to her.

Another non-event day. :yawn:

Russ - I don't know you or your marital status but that chick was totally coming on to you bro.:supergrin:

RussP
05-22-2008, 20:25
Russ - I don't know you or your marital status but that chick was totally coming on to you bro.:supergrin:Very happily married, and it's the way they all treat me...wait, "all" meaning women other than my one wife!!!

RussP
05-23-2008, 14:53
Folks, this thread is not for discussing the law.

It is for relating stories about open carry experiences.

I'm moving the last three posts to the Glockers of the Old Dominion forum.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874599

ArtificialGrape
05-27-2008, 14:29
Executive Summary
Weapon: G23
Rig: CQC Serpa and Wilderness Instructor's belt
Businesses: Wal-Mart, King Soopers, Denny's
Noteworthy: nothing :)

I live in Colorado Springs which I've seen a number of posts mention as pretty OC friendly, and our sheriff is certainly very pro-gun for citizens.

After reading numerous threads and posts with contributors such as RussP, Warp, atimetobuild and others I decided to make my first venture into OC.

Last week I purchased a Blackhawk CQC Serpa for my Glock 23, and I spent several days carrying concealed and becoming comfortable with it. Last night (evening of Memorial Day) I needed to run out and pickup a couple dozen items at the grocery store, so I peeled off the familiar comfort of the concealment shirt and decided to go for it.

It was 10pm when I got to Wal-Mart, so certainly not packed with the soccer mom crowd, but a pretty good number of customers, and lots of employees -- typically 2 stockers per aisle. I do believe a small number of people noticed, and the holster did pass several stockers around eye level as they stocked their shelves. I eventually paid and was on my way without a word.

There were a couple items that were not available at Wal-Mart, so I headed to King Soopers (grocery chain) for those, and a few more items the wife had now thought of. I also left there without any ado.

On the way home I made a stop at Denny's (for the pregnant wife) -- again uneventful.

All in all this transpired exactly as it should have. My appearance was clean, I was courteous to everybody, and anybody that did notice that I had a gun on my hip didn't make a commotion about it.

I don't think that I'll OC very regularly, but I'm glad that it's an option in Colorado, and I'm glad to have the 1st time out of the way.

rsagona1
05-28-2008, 22:06
Russ - I don't know you or your marital status but that chick was totally coming on to you bro.:supergrin:

I thought that too:supergrin:

rsagona1
05-28-2008, 22:12
Keep 'em coming guys/gals these are good stories.

mnglocker
05-29-2008, 23:15
Long day of OC'n for me.... <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Got up and mowed my Friday accounts due to a rainy forecast for the next few days, the last customer of the day (from one of the local gun forums) asked me to OC while mowing just to keep up the appearance of a well armed/secured property. <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 22.5pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/devilishgif.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
After I was done there and nothing happened that was remotely eventful (even one of the city's finest was parked down the block and didn't say boo) <o:p></o:p>
I was feeling independently wealthy at this point <v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 33.75pt; HEIGHT: 22.5pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/anim_rofl2.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>and my bank was on the way back to my house, so I stopped and dropped a deposit off... OC'ing. <v:shape id=_x0000_i1027 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" alt=""><v:imagedata o:href="http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/greensupergrin.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image003.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>And again, nothing radical went on other than the usual greeting and good-bye from my teller. <o:p></o:p>
Next:<o:p></o:p>
I stopped by the local shell station for gas and of course I went inside to pay and nothing was said other than a total, "the car wash is broken and thank you"<o:p></o:p>

Later:<o:p></o:p>
I went off to run some errands of which included was stopping at the local purveyor of adult beverages and barley flavored soda where the two ladies' that own the store have "made" me before I made my selection and paid for my goods with thank you and good bye, I made my next trip:

The grocery store, where a bunch of the local HS kids were doing the usual loitering at the front door/ogling the R/t including the store manager, none of which took a second look, asked or said a word about my shiny dull ugly Glock, instead I was asked "that thing got a Hemi?" to which I replied, "heck no, not big enough, 360/soon to be 408" I went in, did my shopping, had one kid do a double take from about 15 feet out then a second look down the distance of the isle. When I went to pay he and his girl friend were in front of me in line, where we made a quick joke about how ironic it was to have a line of 8 people at 10:45pm and that was the exact reason we were there at 10:45pm; to avoid a line. I paid for my goods and went on my way to the next stop:<o:p></o:p>
And now the second gas station of the day; I filled my truck and on the way in to pay I held the door for another customer also on the way in. I then grabbed a field & stream magazine, along with the latest gun rag for tonight’s reading after I've read every thread on GT. I went to pay, and another other than a "How are you tonight?" and a "thank you good night". <o:p></o:p>
For those that think OC is a hassle, give it a try; your day will be surprisingly plain.<o:p></o:p>

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/953kdjs/OC-Minn-mnglocker352.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/953kdjs/OC-Minn-mnglocker351.jpg

And for those of you who may think that the people I came across today are condidtioned to seeing people OC, they aren't it's not very common at all in MN, seing as how we are not an OC w/o a permit state and we don't have to OC in places like bars.

HandyMan Hugh
05-30-2008, 02:46
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. I have a couple of good experiences to share.
Last September I had go to the Cleveland Clinic for some diagnostic work.
We pulled into the parking lot behind their guest house where they have parking for RVs. Unfortunately someone hadn't pulled all of the way into their parking space, so I couldn't make the turn. So now I'm blocking a drive way with 40' of motorhome and 20' of trailer. Next thing, one of Clevelands finest shows up to help. He opened the door and there I sat in he driver's seat with my sidearm in plain sight. I quickly told him thaat I was licensed to carry and asked him if he needed to see my LCTF. His answer was "Maybe later, lets get you into the parking lot first." They managed to find the car owner, and got me into the lot within 10 Minutes. Cool. Once inside the lot I got out and again offered to show my LCTF to the officer. He politely declined, and then he really floored me. He looked at my pistol and asked what I was carrying. I told him, and he said ,"I'm glad to see you carrying and to know that you can take care of yourself, I just wish more people would!" Holy Cow!!!! What a guy!

Next up was one of the Cleveland Clinic Police. (they have their own 200 person Police Force, They're NOT just security, they're fully sworn and qualified Police) I offered to show my LCTF, but he asked for my drivers license instead. The Officer explained that he was going to write down my information and description and let the other officers know that if they happened to spot me with my sidearm that they were NOT to hassle me. I'd already been cleared. He did remind me that they didn't allow guns into the hospital proper. I thanked him and he left. We were there for almost a week and NO one hassled me about OCing around the area.

Altogether a good experience.

Stay safe, carry lots. HM H

RussP
05-30-2008, 10:12
Had another grocery store adventure last week.

Wife and I were getting sushi and salads at our local Ukrop's. Now Ukrop's is not the cheapest store around, but they have a great deli and prepared foods area, sushi, and they still take your groceries to your car - excellent customer service.

I'd picked up my sushi and headed to the salad bar. Mrs RussP was talking to a woman who had her probably 5 yr old son sitting in the grocery cart.

I walked up beside her and waited as she built her salad. She remembered an item behind me, so said, "Let's trade places, I forgot something."

I heard her son say, "Mom, come here." She went over, came back and asked me, "Are you a police officer?"

"No, ma'am, I'm just a regular ol' citizen."

"Darn, my son thought you might be since you are carrying a gun. He is very interested in the police. He says he wants to be one when he gets old enough. He's never really met one before, though."

I asked where she lived and suggested she call the police station responsible for her area and ask if they could visit the station or could one of the officers come by and introduce himself/herself.

She said she'd never thought of doing that. I told her the local PD would enjoy meeting a new recruit, albeit a dozen years early (Police Explorer Program).

We shook hands and off they went talking about the ideas. The boy turned and waved goodbye.

Now, yes, I was mistaken as a police officer, but when I corrected that, no one shrieked and fainted in fear, or called 911...

It is nice knowing some youngsters still dream of being a police officer when they grow up.

MattE225
05-30-2008, 21:16
Hey MNglocker. What city are you from? I am from Fargo ND..right on the border. I also go into Minnesota a lot. I do have a ND CCW license, but not one good in MN.
Just curious as to what your laws are over there. If you know my laws I would love to be told them..never can get a straight answer.

My story....I DO not open carry, but my brother, who is my roommate, gives me a horrible time even thinking about it. Don't get him wrong though, he is a fellow gun nut.

Lone_Wolfe
05-30-2008, 21:43
Nice pics, MNGlocker! :hearts:

mnglocker
05-31-2008, 12:05
Hey MNglocker. What city are you from? I am from Fargo ND..right on the border. I also go into Minnesota a lot. I do have a ND CCW license, but not one good in MN.
Just curious as to what your laws are over there. If you know my laws I would love to be told them..never can get a straight answer.

My story....I DO not open carry, but my brother, who is my roommate, gives me a horrible time even thinking about it. Don't get him wrong though, he is a fellow gun nut.

I'm from the far west burbs of Minneapolis. I do try to make it to Fargo and Detroit lakes at least twice a year though.

Let's just put it this way, I do believe ND has better laws when it comes to purchasing, and owning cool toys like cans and F/A bambi slayers, but their carry laws don't hold a candle to the wind compared to how nice and easy we have it here, as far as signs/off limit places/bars, theaters, malls, churches, ect... It's all game here (in other words carry away)with the exception of schools unless you have permission from the Super/Principle.

You should take a SERIOUS look at getting a UT permit. UT is talking about no longer handing out non-res permits, and MN honors UT's and it's only $65 for 5 years and $10 to renew. You should head over to mnguntalk.com and chase down Phorvic , he teaches UT and is located 40 minutes from Fargo. :cool:

mnglocker
05-31-2008, 12:05
Nice pics, MNGlocker! :hearts:

:wow::whistling: :wavey:

haveglocks
05-31-2008, 21:51
Hello everyone, let me start off by saying that I'm new to this website, but am a member of many related sites. I have OC'ed for about two years know. I have no desire to obtain a CHP until my wife and I have kids (not far off). I live in Fairfax County, VA which is about 60% liberal, 40% conservative. I took my NRA certification course 12 years ago when I turned 21 with the plans of obtaining my CHP(knew I could OC), but decided to hold off because of my temper. Long story short, alot has happened within those twelve years(Ruby Ridge, 911, VA Tech, etc..) and I've decided that I prefer to OC. It's more comfortable, keeps people honest, and faster to draw. I started OCing with my G17, but know OC my G21SF outside of work and where legal. The only reason for me to conceal would be my wifes request when we start to have kids. I get a lot off flack from the anti-gunners and the old timers who fought to have the right to conceal. I respect everyone's right to free speech for or against I just wish they'ed respect mine to OC.
Thanx:cool:

Resqu2
06-01-2008, 07:02
I respect everyone's right to free speech for or against I just wish they'ed respect mine to OC.

Welcome to the forum and +1 on the above statement, now if I could only get my wife to agree, she is my ONLY problem with OC so now days I just ccw unless I'm by myself.

Resqu2
06-01-2008, 13:30
I was dispatched to a car wreck just around the corner from my house a little while ago, I have my Kimber in a retention holster on my side (was going to run a few mags through her after while) I got there pretty quick, several involved but no injuries. No one seemed to notice my Kimber, then the first Trooper arrived, he did notice but just nodded to me and I said hello and went on. The second Trooper arrived and he to just gave me a nod and went to work. I had no FD items on at all, not even a radio so I'm sure they had no idea who I was but it didn't matter to them, not a second look. OC just as it should be.

Aran
06-01-2008, 14:57
Copied and Pasted from a thread I made yesterday at OC.org about the trip to WalMart.

I was relying on a long t-shirt to cover my Glock, as usual (I'd have just let it do what it wanted if I weren't at WalMart, but I at do the very least to cover it while I'm there, as their LP guy is a hardass and I'm tired of talking to him and the state police) wandering through the store, picking up about $40 in stuff throughout various departments.

As I was walking through automotive to get to the checkout (I came in the automotive entrance since I was mostly there to go to the bicycle section for a cheap headlight/taillight) I saw their LP guy come running into the aisle, see me there, sigh, and walk off.

Then as I was checking out, I heard over the walkie talkie at the register, "Yeah, it's just him. He's at the automotive checkout" and the cashier and I just shared a "What're you gonna do, it's life." look, I finished checking out, and went out and started up my motorcycle.

The manager came out, a big guy (About my height, but about 1.5x bigger around than me) named Ken, flagged me down as I started to leave my parking spot, so I pulled up to him and shut it down.

We only talked for about a minute and 45 seconds (Way longer than it took me to type all this) and he basically just said "Hey, WE know you're not doing anything wrong, but could you be a little more careful to keep that covered? We know you have your LTCF (called it a carry permit, naturally, though I politely corrected him and elaborated briefly that it was still legal to open carry, even with an LTCF) but we keep getting customers coming to tell us about your gun, and they're concerned, and frankly they're bothering us." (Note that he didn't say it exactly that way, but tone, word choice, and inflection says a lot.). He did bring up the last incident just as a "Yeah, we know who you are, and we've talked to you" but said nothing about the first one, which I brought up myself and he looked kind of concerned about how it played out.

So after I told him yeah, I've been trying to keep it covered, but only in WalMart, out of courtesy to them, he thanked me and told me to have a good day.

Not bothered in the least by this "confrontation", as he seemed like a nice guy and he really had no issue with it.

As I was pulling out, I looked past him and there was another manager and the loss prevention guy, the latter with a huge scowl on his face, practically hunkered down and using a car waiting for an oil change as a shield, watching like they were in some cheesy cop movie during hostage negotiations leading up to a gunfight.

And on the way home, a guy in a pickup truck creeped through the intersection that I was waiting at and yelled "Hey, nice haaaaaair" with a big grin.

I don't think today's shirt choice of a day-glow orange t-shirt with my recently bright orange dyed hair was such a great choice, aesthetically :p

mnglocker
06-01-2008, 15:04
Aran,

With that dye job you clearly need to get some Green and Yellow TFO's for your Glock to coordinate. :supergrin:

RussP
06-01-2008, 17:06
...I don't think today's shirt choice of a day-glow orange t-shirt with my recently bright orange dyed hair was such a great choice, aesthetically :pI'm calling you on this one...photos please!!!

MattE225
06-01-2008, 17:19
I would like to hear some negative experiences with open carry.
I am in North Dakota, and we are allowed to OC with a permit. But I have never seen ANYONE OC. I just got myself a little NAA .32acp, so concealing isnt a problem for me anymore. I am nervous about Ocing though

Aran
06-01-2008, 17:22
I'm calling you on this one...photos please!!!

This is the only one I have of me with my hair dyed, before I washed the excess dye out.

The outfit is NOT my usual attire - I was trying to come up with an outfit my fiancee wouldn't be seen in public with me wearing. It worked. I think it was the socks and sandals...

http://www.songofthewinds.com/RickOrange.jpg