Is Whittaker Guns worth the trip from Evansville? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is Whittaker Guns worth the trip from Evansville?

Substance-P
03-20-2008, 06:28
Hello Everyone,

I grew up in Evansville, IN but have moved to Indianapolis. I am heading home this weekend for my B-Day and, when asked what I wanted for my B-Day, I told my Dad I was wanting another gun. He mentioned a few places to look for one in Evansville but then remembered about Whittaker Guns across the river in KY. I am only in for the weekend but we are thinking about making the drive.

For those of you who have been, is Whittaker's worth the drive? Also, what is the process for a Hoosier buying a handgun in KY (do they have to ship to a FFL in IN)?

Thanks for any input.

domzilla9
03-20-2008, 07:55
Hello,

Whittakers is well worth the trip. It's simply the best gunshop that I've been to in five states.

As you are a resident of Indiana, Whittakers will have to ship any *handgun* that you purchase from them to a FFL holder in Indiana, who will in turn do your back ground check and transfer the firearm to you. If you call them I am sure that they will be able to tell you what they charge to do this and which Indiana FFLs they work with. These kinds of transfers usually involve a nominal fee and are negotiable.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/

spork
03-20-2008, 11:00
I make the trip from Louisville to Whittaker's, and it is worth it. I just came back from there a week ago with a new POF 415. I can honestly say that I have never seen so many AR-type rifles under one roof before.

Great selection, great prices. Staff doesn't hassle you.

OTOH, some of the staff lack personality and they have a peculiar hatred of dry-firing weapons (there must be at least five or more signs in the shop stating that if you dry-fire a gun, then you buy it).

Basically, if you are the kind of guy (or gal) that already has a good idea of what you want and just want to look around and buy something at a good price, then Whittaker's is worth the drive.

In addition, I can't think of a shop in Kentucky that has a better selection. However, I do recommend that you call first to confirm the in-stock status of anything listed on the internet site.

Gary G23
03-20-2008, 14:17
6000 guns in stock and the best prices I have ever seen. What's not to like?

Substance-P
03-20-2008, 15:21
Sound good. I think we are going to head over there tomorrow AM. I know they have great listed prices...do the deal off of those or do they typically expect the full asking price (b/c it is low relative to others)?

Thanks

Gary G23
03-20-2008, 16:55
Price on the tag is what you pay.

Substance-P
03-23-2008, 05:19
Thanks for the encouragement to go. We spent about 5 hours there and left with 7 guns, 2K rounds of ammo, and a lot of other goodies.

tercel89
04-17-2008, 20:57
Thanks for the encouragement to go. We spent about 5 hours there and left with 7 guns, 2K rounds of ammo, and a lot of other goodies.

HOLY *****!!! WHat a day you had!!!! I live in Tennessee and Its about 110 miles from me and its still worth it . I have heard from people that Whittakers averages about 75 guns per day sold. WOW. I remember when my brother and me first went to Whittakers , I looked around and saw Whittakers and then a Liqour Store across the road , I thought to myself , "This is all a man needs" .

costanza187
04-18-2008, 05:06

:shocked: Did you have to sell your house?

moreammoplz
04-18-2008, 08:15
Heck it is worth the trip from Louisville. Best store ever..........

Houngan
04-21-2008, 10:09
No dryfiring? While there's a reason on rimfires, there isn't really one for modern centerfires. I'm not buying a gun if I can't try the trigger. Do they supply snap-caps?

H.

moreammoplz
05-20-2008, 20:21
Buddy went up to Whittakers this weekend and found a bunch of nice high end shotguns at great prices.

Darrell just bought a bunch of guns from the Gander Mountain stores, who are hurting for cash.

twocammer
05-23-2008, 19:17
No dryfiring? While there's a reason on rimfires, there isn't really one for modern centerfires. I'm not buying a gun if I can't try the trigger. Do they supply snap-caps?

H.

They will put a snap cap in if you have to dry fire one. Just ask.