Hired!! :) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hired!! :)

MissAmericanPie
03-22-2008, 10:11
:wavey:Hi All,

I have been hired with the service I have been riding with. I have done over 60 hours of ride time with them and I guess they figured since I wouldn't go away, they'd just hire me. :)

I love the people there. I love this business and I have never been happier in my whole life. I never thought I'd be starting such a thing at almost 39 years old!! But my son will be leaving for college in September and I can work as much as I want, whenever I want without worrying about "family time". He has always been first. And my husband is very supportive - I am very fortunate.

Now this will make me a better rescuer for my town since I'll finally be using the skills I have acquired.

D25
03-22-2008, 12:36
Good for you MAP! It has been enjoyable to watch you go throught the process, stress out, enjoy your victories, and overcome challenges. Your heart is obviously in the right place, and I hope it stays there. Best of luck to you.:rock:

RyanNREMTP
03-22-2008, 14:00
Congrats.

huskerbuttons
03-22-2008, 14:42
COngratulations!!! I have never regretted this career choice. I know you will feel the same. Now, get as much continuing education as you can! LEARN, LEARN,and LEARN!!! You can never have too much knowledge in this field. After 20 yrs I still learn something everyday. Your employer is very luckey to have a mature, dedicated, compassionate employee!

DaleGribble
03-22-2008, 17:47
Congratulations and good luck.

Most of the time this job sucks because it's so boring but when the tones drop it's pretty fun. :supergrin:

MissAmericanPie
03-22-2008, 19:59
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I'm so excited and I'm starting training Monday. I hope to absorb a lot, although I've been "training" all along. But the person I will be paired with is the training officer and his focus will be just that - getting me ready to work as a second EMT on a rig.

They have been great about letting me jump in and do stuff.

And I will make sure to get PLENTY of continuing ed. I never miss a training and I constantly review the material. I also read a lot online and about once per week I pick a topic that I am not comfortable with and I read about it. I have started a binder on such materials.

In the fall I am beginning my intermediate schooling. I would like at least six months on a rig first and I figure once I get it, I'll be a better basic, too.

Eventually I will go for my paramedic.

D25
03-22-2008, 19:59
Most of the time this job sucks because it's so boring but when the tones drop it's pretty fun. :supergrin:

And that's why God created GT!:supergrin:

MissAmericanPie
03-22-2008, 21:15
And that's why God created GT!:supergrin:

Everyone there either watches movies, works out, or naps. I have a ton of books I've been wanting to read, so it sounds like the perfect opportunity.

I could do my bills, wash my car, clean the quarters, etc. to keep me going as well. I'm not a television person - I don't own one at home. And when I begin school again, I can study. It sounds like a great gig to me. :)

4095fanatic
03-23-2008, 13:55
It is great... and boredom all depends on where you run out of. Back home I was banging 20 runs a day, and I had a friend who was with Chicago Fire during the 60's and 70's... his engine was pulling 600 a month :).

MissAmericanPie
03-26-2008, 21:11
Just an update:

I am training now. There has been very little going on in terms of 911 calls. I am finding that the stupidest things are tripping me up - the mechanics of the stretcher (we never transport on rescue), the BP machine (I have always done manual), and every other mechanical device!!

Other than that, it is just learning paperwork, etc. I am getting very comfortable with the patient care end of it, since I have been doing it for a little while now (including working at first aid ski patrol and for rescue). I'm just not yet comfortable with the other things yet. I even have to re-learn how to talk on the radio since it is a different dispatch center (this town uses the PD instead of the county sheriff which is what the surrounding towns use). I just want this all to become routine so I can concentrate on the most important aspect of it - patient care and improving those skills.

I do love it here, however. The people are great and it is a real lot of fun.

:)

Sucka
03-26-2008, 21:20
Congrats!

Welcome to the brotherhood.

MissAmericanPie
03-27-2008, 18:54
Congrats!

Welcome to the brotherhood.

Thank you. :)

I stood in on a code in the ED today because the hospital EMS coordinator asked me if I wanted to (to observe or take over compressions if needed) since I was already there dropping off a patient. Unfortunately he was dead.

I felt guilty because the first thing I thought of was " god, he's dead after all of that". I knew the EMTs working it and they had pushed the drugs, and were visibly tired, sweating their asses off. Oh well - I guess if you can save one someday by practicing on dead people.......

Anyway, all is going well and I had fun running lights and sirens today.

Thanks for the support.

DoogieHowser
04-01-2008, 06:39
Way to go!