CT "loaded" definition [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CT "loaded" definition

cahilj
03-22-2008, 16:52
I've asked this question to several people now, both civilian and LE, and I've gotten different answers each time. What is the actual definition of a "loaded" weapon in CT? Does it mean a round in the chamber? Or a magazine in the weapon? Or rounds in a detachable magazine in the weapon? Obviously any weapon with a round in the chamber is loaded, but where does CT draw the line between loaded and unloaded? Example- is a shotgun considered loaded with rounds in the magazine tube? Or is it unloaded since the tube is non-removable?

This definition isn't in CT law (as far as I could find anyways). Although there is a small definition for "dangerous weapon", and a loaded weapon is included in it. Anyone shed any light, or do I need to call the SP? Thanks.

Douglas in CT
03-22-2008, 17:05
I've asked this question to several people now, both civilian and LE, and I've gotten different answers each time. What is the actual definition of a "loaded" weapon in CT? Does it mean a round in the chamber? Or a magazine in the weapon? Or rounds in a detachable magazine in the weapon? Obviously any weapon with a round in the chamber is loaded, but where does CT draw the line between loaded and unloaded? Example- is a shotgun considered loaded with rounds in the magazine tube? Or is it unloaded since the tube is non-removable?

This definition isn't in CT law (as far as I could find anyways). Although there is a small definition for "dangerous weapon", and a loaded weapon is included in it. Anyone shed any light, or do I need to call the SP? Thanks.
Disclaimer:
I know nuzthink! Absolutely nuzthink!
- Sgt. Schultz (Hogan's Heros)

Logic would favor the interpretation of having any ammo residing within the firearm.
- Thus, the condition of a round being chambered or not would be immaterial.

Play it safe. :)

glockawakka
03-24-2008, 19:51
I have had this discussion with a few LEO and a State Game Warden.

All told me the same thing.

Loaded.
Round in the chamber, rounds in the magazine inserted in the firearm, Rounds in the magazine attached to the firearm (shotgun, tube fed 22s, etc).

If the magazine is loaded and not inserted in the gun and the gun's chamber is also empty the gun is unloaded.

Muzzleloaders may also have a powder charge and bullet in place, but not considered loaded untill capped with percussion/musket/shotgun primer, flintlock pan primed.

cahilj
03-26-2008, 16:16
Thanks for the replies. I don't carry the shotgun with rounds in the magazine, but the topic came up during a conversation I was having with a few guys at the range one day, and its been bugging me ever since. Now I know.

Tvov
03-27-2008, 11:28
I go by ammo physically separate from firearm as being unloaded.