Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload? [Archive] - Page 2 - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload?

Pages : 1 [2]

PCJim
04-01-2012, 07:55
Winchester, but have CCI and Wolf to add to the mix.

AususA
08-25-2012, 22:12
I have used Winchester for ALL my reloads. Pistol and Rifle. They are by far the best I have used by far. I haven't used starline, but I have used mostly all the other ones. With my Winchester brass, I'm at like 11 reloads, but with one piece of .45 brass, I am at 47 reloads that I have done on purpose just to see how much it can take :)

sigpro357
08-26-2012, 12:30
Ive reloaded a lot of different headstamp types. I think a lot of problems has to do with mismatched components. Its crazy how different manufactured primers seat in different case types.

Gpruitt54
10-29-2012, 18:36
What makes one mfg's brass better than another Mfg's brass?

ragsflh
11-05-2012, 08:49
nt brass just uses small primers i have it in 45 acp,40 sw 10mm

ar154life
11-16-2012, 20:59
I see NNY brass ranked as "junk". I've heard of people reloading them with good results.

They sold under the Monarch brand.

Zer0
03-22-2013, 08:07
I'd like to add prvi partisan's PPU brass works quite well.

Also, i've had good results with s&b in 45 acp, but in 303 british the brass was quite weak and the heads separate after 2 loads

G2065G
03-25-2013, 11:16
I didnt see this on the main post so I'll add it. LY 9x19. Half the time the primers fall out of factory loads. I reloaded a few and had two primers fall out when fired.

L Y - China North Industries Corp., (NORINCO), 7A Yue Tan Nan Jie, Beijing, Peoples Republic of China

VN350X10
03-25-2013, 21:52
Some lots of that Norinco brass are very good....but typical Chinese metallurgy being such as it is, inconsistancy is the only constant !
Save your time & scrap it.

uncle albert

FrankB1948
03-29-2013, 15:09
I ordered 1k 40 S&W from Starline last week. They said the next run of brass was in mid April. Then they delivered today, I'm a happy customer.

Mtwain
04-27-2013, 17:51
What's wrong with Speer?

Spear brass is good, however some primers are a bit to big and a little bit of the primer is sheared off leaving a thin piece behind. I use Winchester primers and gave up on the Speer brass because of this.

WRXcelration
05-13-2013, 18:52
I have had horrible experience w/ WCC and S&B in my Hornady LnL

QNman
05-18-2013, 21:05
I've only used a few Blazer brass, but they worked fine in .45ACP.

I bought 500 rounds of Blazer Brass at one time, then another 200 later. The earliest is labeled CCI, the later is labeled BLAZER. The CCI I have reloaded several times, with no issues. The Blazer I'm just getting to, but so far, so good.

I will note that the polish on the case head is nicer on the CCI than on the BLAZER.

All in .45 ACP.

danrum
05-21-2013, 04:29
I, like RICO 567, have picked up and reloaded and shot many 1000's of .40S&W, 9mm, 10mm, .45ACP, .357SIG; .38Spc, .357Mag and others and only occasionally run into a piece of brass that will not reload properly -possibly due to having been reloaded many times before and is worn out; damaged from a hot load; stepped on; manufacturing defect; etc. Don't stress out about it. Clean your brass -the do not have to be shiny to work well; Keep your reloads within the powder and bullet manufacturers data parameters and use care when reloading; discard ANY suspect case for ANY reason (brass is cheap compared to your weapon!) and you will probably have good results with most any brand.

dymonddog
05-27-2013, 14:29
I see that FC is considerd as junk brass.(for 40s&w). Why? I picked up 1,000 headstamped FC 10, courtesy of our Coast Guard. I'm on my fifth reload and they look VERY good. Primers seat fine. Have 100 that I will keep tabs on and let you know the results. Other 900 can wait till I can trust them.

LocknLoadPA
06-11-2013, 20:55
I was looking at unfired brass the other night on either Brownells or Midway anticipating for if I ever have to buy it (not a problem so far, hard to go thru the brass you have when you can't find bullets, but I digress)

Anyway I noticed that Starline, Winchester and a couple others had 9 and 45 but no 40s, I thought that to be odd for as popular as the 40 has become. Is this universal? Do you have to first buy factory loads to get brass for reloading?

njl
06-11-2013, 21:35
Starline makes .40 brass. Check their own web site. Trouble is, like everything else, there's more demand than supply.

due to extreme demand. Check site later for availability.

Schrag4
06-21-2013, 20:51
So, these are all good to go? I have lots of FC, much less of the others:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc484/Schrag4/9mmHeadstamps_Cropped.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Zer0
06-21-2013, 21:12
Schrag, not sure about others' experiences, but i've loaded all of those with no issues. Although, the wcc, i'm not sure if they're mil spec'd, but you might want to take the normal precautions with surplus cases with those

Schrag4
06-22-2013, 05:36
Schrag, not sure about others' experiences, but i've loaded all of those with no issues. Although, the wcc, i'm not sure if they're mil spec'd, but you might want to take the normal precautions with surplus cases with those

Thanks. I have few enough of the WCC that I won't worry about using them for now.

LocknLoadPA
07-26-2013, 21:55
PMC range loads. A guy was shooting these the other day at the range. Didn't want the brass and offered it to me. I took it but have only run it through the tumbler at this point. Saw it was ranked as mid-grade by one of the OPs. If so, I can live with that. Even if I only get another load or two I'm ahead of the game as it was free, and I have a lot of Remmys to load the heavier stuff. Just wanted to see if any of the Glock Talk guys have had experience with this stuff.

Schrag4
09-04-2013, 21:22
I had enough 40 S&W to tumble recently so I decided to go ahead. Tonight I sorted out every case so I can throw out the "junk." I kind of wish there were caliber-specific stickies, but from what I could gather from this sticky, I should:

Keep
·FEDERAL·
FEDERAL
WINCHESTER
WIN
SPEER
R-P
PMC

Toss
S&B
FC

Not sure
GFL
BLAZER

The vast majority are ·FEDERAL· followed by WINCHESTER and R-P, with very few of the rest, so I can part with most on this list. Any input on GFL or BLAZER? Seems like I'm finding mixed reviews for those two.

Taterhead
09-04-2013, 22:02
I had enough 40 S&W to tumble recently so I decided to go ahead. Tonight I sorted out every case so I can throw out the "junk." I kind of wish there were caliber-specific stickies, but from what I could gather from this sticky, I should:

Keep
·FEDERAL·
FEDERAL
WINCHESTER
WIN
SPEER
R-P
PMC

Toss
S&B
FC

Not sure
GFL
BLAZER

The vast majority are ·FEDERAL· followed by WINCHESTER and R-P, with very few of the rest, so I can part with most on this list. Any input on GFL or BLAZER? Seems like I'm finding mixed reviews for those two.

Blazer brass in .40 has served me just fine.

ColoCG
09-05-2013, 13:17

Keep
·FEDERAL·
FEDERAL
WINCHESTER
WIN
SPEER
R-P
PMC

Toss
S&B
FC

Not sure
GFL
BLAZER

There is nothing wrong with GFL or Blazer brass, it is all good. GFL is Fiocchi brass, the largest ammo manufacturer in Italy I believe.

Also on your previous post you were inquiring about your WCC,Win, and FC 9mm brass. WCC is good brass it just usually has crimped in primers. Remove the crimp and your good to go. The Win is great, and the FC is good too. The FC 9mm that you picture sure looks like it has a primer crimp also, which some Federal and FC has. So you might check to be sure. It's still good as long as you ream or swage it.

S&B can have tight primer pockets, but I reload it all the time.

LocknLoadPA
09-06-2013, 12:07
Blazer brass casings have been satisfactory for me. They've cycled. Obviously the aluminums I don't pick up.

Colorado4Wheel
09-06-2013, 13:06
If your tossing FC 9mm your crazy. It's all I shoot. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Schrag4
09-06-2013, 20:57
If your tossing FC 9mm your crazy. It's all I shoot. Nothing wrong with it at all.

I was just asking about 40 S&W. Most of the 9mm I've loaded so far has been FC.

gwalchmai
09-06-2013, 21:57
I love Federal brass in .45 ACP, and I haven't had any trouble with their 9mm.

SDGlock23
09-11-2013, 16:36
Got a not so good surprise today. While dropping in my KKM 4 port barrel for my Glock 21 Gen4, I noticed a small spot on the breech face. I thought it was maybe a little carbon I had missed on my last cleaning....but nope. It's pitting. It's bad that it's there, but good that it's only one small tiny speck.

I went out to the shed to look at my .45 ACP brass and .45 Super brass. The Super brass looked great, nothing out of the ordinary there. But as I checked through the brass I had for the ACP, I found the culprit I think. R-P brass and and Winchester LP primer. I then noticed how it looked like all the R-P .45 ACP brass had a much more noticeable gap between the primer and brass, or in other words too large of a primer pocket.

Here's a picture of the culprit. I hear it only takes one round to cause a pit to happen, but I'm no expert either. Kinda sickening I have a tiny pit on my breech face, but I know what brass (and primers) I'm steering clear of for a while. Oh yes, and the pit mark lines up perfectly with the leak area seen below.

Notice how around the primer it looks dirty and at the 3:30 position you can see the leak:

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/4552/cbmm.jpg

gwalchmai
09-11-2013, 16:41
I've heard a lot of folks say R-P .45 AUTO brass is thin. Never heard anything about the pockets. I thought primers blew back a little normally during firing though and then reseated when they hit the breech face. That looks like a hole in the primer to me.

SDGlock23
09-11-2013, 17:00
It could very well be thin too, I hadn't heard of that. I do know that looking up some stuff about pitting that some are claiming it has to do with Winchester primers and others still say it has to do with the primer pocket being slightly oversized and the primer not seating as snugly. I could tell that on the other non RP brass that there seemed to be a better seal, for lack of a better word, around the primer.

This happened recently and looking back over my loads I can't see anything that I loaded that was real hot, mostly just trying to work up a light load using Missouri 225gr flatheads to around 800 fps.

JJ47
12-25-2013, 10:27
Have loaded TZZ in several calibers. In 45ACP have relegated it to lead bullet loads only.
Jacketed bullets set back and gives me the willies! O.K in 38 Spec and 223.

jcountry
01-07-2014, 20:05
I had a LOT of trouble with Aguila 45 ACP brass.

It looks like quality stuff, but the walls are not nearly as strong as other brass. For me, it crushes and deforms way too easily during seating.

I never use it anymore.