Dayum I Got FAT! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dayum I Got FAT!

California Jack
03-24-2008, 14:46
I hadn't weighed myself since Xmas. I weighed 218. I like to keep myself between 210 and 215. Anyhow, recently I haven't been watching my diet, and since I got sick and stopped my Enamait inspired plan, I've slacjked off the cardio. I noticed I'd been letting my belt out 2 holes. So I weighed myself this morining at a whopping 233.5! YIKES!!!!:embarassed:

Anyhow,, I am cleaning up my diet. My goal is to get under 215 by the end of July. I will be following a Jack modified BFL plan.

Excuse me know, this tubby has to go do some HIIT on the treadmill.

Thanks for reading,
Fats

proactive
03-24-2008, 15:28
Give it hell, CF. (California Fats):supergrin:

California Jack
03-24-2008, 15:45
Give it hell, CF. (California Fats):supergrin:

LOL! Though I think I desrve a master Haiku.

proactive
03-24-2008, 16:00
"Damn I'm getting BIG!"
But things are not as they seem
Thats not all muscle.

California Jack
03-24-2008, 16:12
Fats thinks proactive did a better job on his Haiku than he did with his attempt at giving Fats a new nickname. Good job.

proactive
03-24-2008, 16:15
Proactive does what he can. Good luck with the fat loss; I'm sure it will come off as easily as it went on.

proactive
03-24-2008, 16:15
That was proactive's attempt at dry sarcasm, btw.

DBradD
03-24-2008, 20:12
LOL, California Fats. That's hilarious.

I think this is probably a common theme this year, with all the sickness going around, screwing up plans. I'm literally afraid to weigh myself at this point and have gained a belt loop also. I'm down to one pair of dress pants and two pairs of jeans that fit (grew outta all of my 32 pants). For my height compared to yours, I'd guess that I did a similar job, LOL. I don't have illness to blame--just craploads more traveling. My wife's 37 weeks pregnant also and is bringing sweets, etc. into the house literally every day. I have zero discipline when that crap's around all the time.

Planning to restart II any time soon? Seems like a scaled version would be a good way to go at first. I'm a couple of weeks into my new S&C program and it's going ok. My conditioning is VERY disappointing.

California Jack
03-24-2008, 20:37
For my height compared to yours, I'd guess that I did a similar job, LOL. I don't have illness to blame--just craploads more traveling. My wife's 37 weeks pregnant also and is bringing sweets, etc. into the house literally every day. I have zero discipline when that crap's around all the time.
I think for me, the travelling would be bad worse for me. You have a lot of other added stress that I'm sure contributes too.

Na, no scaled II yet, just a modified BFL plan. I'm going to do 3 HIIT weekly, 2 strength training (with 20 rep squats one day the other day I'll have some sort of finisher. Lastly, one day I'll go for a longer row or run. This wil;l be until I break my vacation this summer. After that I'l try to get back to II.

California Jack
03-24-2008, 20:44
I'm going to post my weight hre regularily to as some form of accountability. I'm not too worried about it though, I've never really had a hard time loosing or gaining weight, I am a master of my domain.

DBradD
03-24-2008, 21:53
I think for me, the travelling would be bad worse for me. You have a lot of other added stress that I'm sure contributes too.
Perhaps. The job search is about to drive me nuts. I'm pretty POed about how the VT job shook out. They hired a guy with about half my background and compatibility with the existing research--still not quite sure what happened. This guy's background is so narrow that an ant couldn't walk across it. CU will almost certainly not make an offer either, so I'm down to only one university. If that falls through, I have business plans here in Bburg, simply expanding the business I've been running for the last 3 years. No way I'm going to do a post-doc or otherwise drag out this process while other jobs appear next fall, not with 3 kids and having been here 3.25 years already.

I honestly don't care at this point. I just wish I knew what direction to get psyched about.

I think if I would've stuck to my NG-based S&C program, the traveling wouldn't have been so destructive. I felt paralyzed to do anything while on the road for fear of messing up the linear progression when I returned home. A program with that much rigidity isn't for me, at least not now.

ateamer
03-24-2008, 23:00
I'm down to 240. Due to being just completely wiped out with the flu for a week where I almost didn't eat and missing meals at work due to calls coming in at all the wrong times and trying low carbs to get some definition, I feel like an Ethiopian. It's kind of cool seeing all my abs instead of just one smooth one, but that low carb stuff sapped my energy, I just didn't feel right and actually wasn't sleeping as well. Went back to eating pretty much anything I want, whenever I want, and I feel way better. Sleep is better, there is more energy and I just feel right. Now I just need to get that weight back. The heaviest I've ever been is 253 - normally can keep right at 250. I would love to get up to 260 or 265, at least for a while.

BCR
03-25-2008, 10:42
"Damn I'm getting BIG!"
But things are not as they seem
Thats not all muscle.

Classic!:rofl:

Its all good Jack, now there is just more of you to love.

And we're all about love here in S&C.

Maybe you can hang a BK Whopper on a stick out in front of you and chase it around town. I'll be right behind you with my keg.......rolling it.

proactive
03-25-2008, 11:59
And we're all about love here in S&C.

Werd.

California Jack
03-25-2008, 19:48
Maybe you can hang a BK Whopper on a stick out in front of you and chase it around town. I'll be right behind you with my keg.......rolling it.
It would serve me as better motivation if the keg was full and you wre rolling it in front of me. I appreciate the sentiment though.

BCR
03-26-2008, 02:25
It would serve me as better motivation if the keg was full and you wre rolling it in front of me. I appreciate the sentiment though.

Perhaps we could trade.

I'm a sucker for a Whopper with cheese.

You get the keg.

DBradD
03-26-2008, 07:23
This reminds me of a blog entry by Ross a while back. He had several foods on there with some nutritional info. THe idea was for folks to be appalled at the amount of sugar, etc. in them, but I think all he did was make me want one of those Ruby Tuesday's chocolate cakes.

California Jack
03-26-2008, 20:01
I'm not usually a daily weigh-in kinda person. However, this morning, after my first two days of my weightloss attempt, I weighed myself. I'm down to 227, six pounds after 2 days. At this rate, I'll reach my target weightloss sometime this weekend. :rofl:

proactive
03-27-2008, 12:30
CJ, I envy your de-bloating abilities.

California Jack
03-27-2008, 19:20
I'm sure it was some sort of anomoly. I probably put a pound on this today or didn't lose anything. That's why I don't like daily weighing. I'm more interested in the overall trend instead of the daily peaks and valleys.

California Jack
03-31-2008, 20:38
MOnday 3/31/08 I weighed in this morning at 225. Down 8.5 pounds in one week. I like to weigh myself once per week but prefer Sat. mornings. I will weigh in this Saturday and then weekly after that.

BCR
03-31-2008, 21:35
Way to go Jack!

You da MAN!

California Jack
03-31-2008, 22:48
Way to go Jack!

You da MAN!Thanks Brad.

proactive
04-01-2008, 05:57
Nice work, CJ.

California Jack
04-05-2008, 08:22
Saturday morning weigh-in 4/5/08 222.0 11.5 pounds in 12 days.

I am shocked at the speed of my weightloss. I will post a follow up thread this weekend. I have a difficult to believe story about this.

proactive
04-05-2008, 09:03
My wife officially hates you, CJ.

mitchshrader
04-05-2008, 09:10
if i boost my calories to 5000 a day, and take a nap every afternoon, and don't fool around with wimmen and get 8 hours solid rest every night, i can gain 2 lbs in a month.

unless i forget and skip a meal.

gaining weight is about as likely for me as being kidnapped by a nymphomaniac. .

again. ;) it ain't so very thrilling to be skinny. honest.

California Jack
04-05-2008, 09:54
My wife officially hates you, CJ. My wife's not real happy either.

Scarecrow28
04-05-2008, 09:58
Congradulations on the progress. I'm suprised its coming off so fast! I'm lucky enough that, when I have gotten sick and been unable to exercise, it was illnesses were I didn't or couldn't eat so I didn't gain any excess weight.

DBradD
04-05-2008, 10:07
Saturday morning weigh-in 4/5/08 222.0 11.5 pounds in 12 days.

I am shocked at the speed of my weightloss. I will post a follow up thread this weekend. I have a difficult to believe story about this.
:wow: Better check your inventory: Seems like you might've become an amputee in the last couple of weeks. I guess a foot plus about half a calf might weigh that much.

California Jack
04-12-2008, 10:48
4/12/08 Sat. morning weekly weigh -in; 220 lbs

Down 2 lbs from last week for a total of 13.5 pounds

Progress slowed this week but I expected that. This is what I had anticipated fro the start, about 2 lbs/week. I'm at the notch in the belt I was at before the first of the year so I am more comfortable. My HIIT sessions are progressing accordingly with my wweight loss.

One side note, I had a cold this week. I'm guessing most likely a large contributing factor was the stress on my body from my rapid weight loss the week before. Felling better now. I'm off for a 20 rep DL workout.

Starting Monday I am going to try the more aggressive diet that allowed for the rapid weight loss in my first 11 days. While I don't expect to loose 11.5 pounds, I may reach my goal weight following it.

Jack

proactive
04-12-2008, 15:50
Dude, you're an animal. Thanks for the update.

California Jack
04-12-2008, 21:22
thanks pro.

proactive
04-13-2008, 06:14
How'd the 20 rep DLs go? It's been a while since I tried that.

California Jack
04-13-2008, 06:59
Pretty good. I've been using straps, they really help. I haven't done them in a long long time. SO I started of light a few weeks back. I only pulled 275 today, but was winded and my quads(?) were burning.

When I first started weight training my goal was 350x20. I never made that. I think I got to 335. I couldn't ever get 340x20. I found that my 20 RM and 1 RM weren't too far apart. I thought I needed to improve my 1 rm to improve my 20 rm so I embarked on that. I never returned to get the 350x20. I'm going to get it this time.

Jack

DBradD
04-14-2008, 04:55
CJ, you sound like a man on a mission!

BCR
04-14-2008, 10:52
Good work Jack. I have complete faith in you.

DLing 350x20 would be a HUGE accomplishment! 20 rep anything is brutal for me.

Yesterday was a deload day for squats, so I tried 235 for max reps(75% of my 5RM). I was shooting for 20, but only got 15. Had plenty of strength but my conditioning is lower than a snake fart. I probably could've squeezed out a few more but threw in the towel.

It was like my body wanted to shut down during the set and I couldn't figure out why. I didn't realize how fast my heart was beating because I was controling my breathing for squats. Just ran out of gas.

Then when I racked the bar I instantly started breathing like I was going into labor. Too funny. What a humbling experience.

But on a good note...........last week I got 415x5 on my deads.

California Jack
04-14-2008, 20:30
Thanks fellas. I'm trying.

Hey BCR, last summer I got 415x5 for the first time. Now, my log is in the garage, so I'm not sure if that was my best or if I got 5 or 10 more pounds. Either way, you'll be passing me soon. Way to go! I think you're probably good for a single somewhere in the range of 460-475. Keep at it!

C0BRA
04-15-2008, 09:59

Hey BCR, last summer I got 415x5 for the first time. Now, my log is in the garage, so I'm not sure if that was my best or if I got 5 or 10 more pounds. Either way, you'll be passing me soon. Way to go! I think you're probably good for a single somewhere in the range of 460-475. Keep at it!

Jack,

Just curious, are you doing any squatting while on your DL mission? 415x5 is very strong, my grip gives out at ~395, have to use straps for anything higher.

BCR
04-15-2008, 10:45
Jack,

Just curious, are you doing any squatting while on your DL mission? 415x5 is very strong, my grip gives out at ~395, have to use straps for anything higher.

Are you using chalk?

It makes a huge difference.

And how is the knurling on the bar you are using? I used to have a cheap $99bar, but then got a Texas Power Bar and the knurling is much deeper.

C0BRA
04-15-2008, 11:25
Are you using chalk?

It makes a huge difference.

And how is the knurling on the bar you are using? I used to have a cheap $99bar, but then got a Texas Power Bar and the knurling is much deeper.

Yep I use chalk. I have a york bar that allows me to have a pretty solid grip. At ~395, i can get the bar to my knees, but my fingers just start slowly opening past that point LOL. With straps I can get 455. I'm doing more farmer's walks and heavy shrugs to work on my grip strength.

Any tips?

California Jack
04-15-2008, 18:13
COBRA,

Sorry for the basic question here, but are you using an alternating grip?

As far as squats, yes I am squatting now too. I am alternating 2 workouts:

1--pullups, bench, squats
2-- dips, bent rows DLs

I alternate these and lift 3x weekly.

As for the squats, I am ttrying to do 50 reps in 20 minutes, so the load is not high. When this protocol becomes too much I will space my workouts more. Provably 5 x in 2 weeks. When that becomes tooo much I'll go to twice weekly. I should be able to sustain that until my goal is reached.

I don't compete so I'm in no rush. The only goal I have a time limit on is DLing 500 pounds by my 50th B-day. I've got a little under 2 years to reach that so I think I'm good.

Jack

DBradD
04-15-2008, 19:15
...but then got a Texas Power Bar and the knurling is much deeper.

You mean the one Rip calls the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Bar? :rofl:

BCR
04-16-2008, 03:57
Yep I use chalk. I have a york bar that allows me to have a pretty solid grip. At ~395, i can get the bar to my knees, but my fingers just start slowly opening past that point LOL. With straps I can get 455. I'm doing more farmer's walks and heavy shrugs to work on my grip strength.

Any tips?

Farmers walks and shrugs are great.

Do you have a power rack? If so, set the bars a couple of inches below your lockout on deads, and do static holds. Choose a weight near your 395 and try to hold it for time.

BCR
04-16-2008, 04:00
You mean the one Rip calls the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Bar? :rofl:

Yeah thats the one!

After heavy deads when I peel my hands off the bar, there is a perfect tiny little waffle pattern imbedded in my palms for a few minutes.

Hurts like a mofo.

But I have more grip than Mama Cass in a candy store.

C0BRA
04-16-2008, 10:30
COBRA,

Sorry for the basic question here, but are you using an alternating grip?

As far as squats, yes I am squatting now too. I am alternating 2 workouts:

1--pullups, bench, squats
2-- dips, bent rows DLs

I alternate these and lift 3x weekly.

I don't compete so I'm in no rush. The only goal I have a time limit on is DLing 500 pounds by my 50th B-day. I've got a little under 2 years to reach that so I think I'm good.

Jack

Sorry I should have clarified. My grip gives out at 395 when using a overhand grip. I like using the overhand grip as much as possible to mimic the first pull of the PC. When using an alternating grip, I can get slightly more, maybe ~20-25 lbs?

Oh and 2 years will be plenty of time for that 500 DL.

C0BRA
04-16-2008, 10:35
Farmers walks and shrugs are great.

Do you have a power rack? If so, set the bars a couple of inches below your lockout on deads, and do static holds. Choose a weight near your 395 and try to hold it for time.

BCR,

Thanks for the tip. How do you feel about doing static holds against the safety bars, at about the same height?

BCR
04-16-2008, 14:25
BCR,

Thanks for the tip. How do you feel about doing static holds against the safety bars, at about the same height?

Hmmmm. Never tried that.

The safety bars would have to be the perfect height I think. Otherwise you'll be hovering just below lockout.

Plus my rack doesn't weigh enough so it would come off the ground.

Am I making sense?

California Jack
04-16-2008, 20:27
[My grip gives out at 395 when using a overhand grip. I like using the overhand grip as much as possible to mimic the first pull of the PC. So you're using a hook grip then?

How much are you PCing? Not important, I guess, but OLers limit their Snatch DL and Clean DLs to 10%-20% more than there respective lifts. There really doesn't seem to be a need to practice clean grip DLs at 395 pounds to help a 250 LB power clean. Right?

C0BRA
04-17-2008, 11:19
So you're using a hook grip then?

How much are you PCing? Not important, I guess, but OLers limit their Snatch DL and Clean DLs to 10%-20% more than there respective lifts. There really doesn't seem to be a need to practice clean grip DLs at 395 pounds to help a 250 LB power clean. Right?

My "everyday" max PC is right around 245-250lbs. After a 8-9 week OL cycle, I'm good for about 275-280, but it's more of a squat clean. Personally, I think that's the most I'll be able to get. When doing clean pulls, depending on how I feel, I do anywhere between 225-295 and 1-5 reps.

You're right about the clean grip DL's. I guess the main thing is frustration, if my legs and back can handle more, my clean grip should be able to also :steamed: :supergrin:

BCR
04-17-2008, 12:27

I owe you some thanks Jack.

I added another 10lbs to my deads today and pulled 425x5. :tongueout:

Just a little friendly competition. :supergrin:

BCR
04-17-2008, 12:31
My "everyday" max PC is right around 245-250lbs. After a 8-9 week OL cycle, I'm good for about 275-280, but it's more of a squat clean. Personally, I think that's the most I'll be able to get. When doing clean pulls, depending on how I feel, I do anywhere between 225-295 and 1-5 reps.

You're right about the clean grip DL's. I guess the main thing is frustration, if my legs and back can handle more, my clean grip should be able to also :steamed: :supergrin:

Good numbers my friend!

I have never attempted any OLs. They're a little intimidating.

But my real excuse is I have a low ceiling and can't even try them. :embarassed:

California Jack
04-17-2008, 18:15
I owe you some thanks Jack.

I added another 10lbs to my deads today and pulled 425x5. :tongueout:

Just a little friendly competition. :supergrin: Excellent! Great work Brad. Unfortunately I'm not anywhere near a time that I could compete in a 5RM DL with ya. Still, that's impressive!

You're closing in on a 500 lb pull quickly.

California Jack
04-17-2008, 18:15
Hey COBRA, that's some impressive PCing!

C0BRA
04-18-2008, 12:27
Hmmmm. Never tried that.

The safety bars would have to be the perfect height I think. Otherwise you'll be hovering just below lockout.

Plus my rack doesn't weigh enough so it would come off the ground.

Am I making sense?

Gotcha ... the rack needs to be bolted to the floor, or have enough weights to hold it down.

C0BRA
04-18-2008, 12:34
Good numbers my friend!

I have never attempted any OLs. They're a little intimidating.

But my real excuse is I have a low ceiling and can't even try them. :embarassed:

Unless the ceiling comes down to your neck, you always have room for PC's. :supergrin:

BCR
04-19-2008, 00:52
Unless the ceiling comes down to your neck, you always have room for PC's. :supergrin:

Crap!

Ya caught me on that one. I was trying to fly under the radar!:embarassed:

DBradD
04-19-2008, 08:20
Brad(CR), do you respond well to heckling and hazing? If so, I'll go over to Rip's message board and bring some quotes about folks not doing PCs. :rofl:

California Jack
04-19-2008, 13:50
Saurday Morning Weigh-In for 4/19/08
219.5 :dunno:

I really disheartened by this. Down only 0.5 pounds for the week. A total of 14 pounds overall. I was really good diet wise and did well workiout wise. Despite this dismal result, I will continue what I'm doing for one more week.

On the brighter side, I ran a 4 minute 1/2 mile today. That's pretty good for me.

DBradD
04-19-2008, 17:14
Dang, for a second there, I thought you typed that you ran a "4 and a half minute mile"!

C0BRA
04-19-2008, 17:32
Saurday Morning Weigh-In for 4/19/08
219.5 :dunno:

I really disheartened by this. Down only 0.5 pounds for the week. A total of 14 pounds overall. I was really good diet wise and did well workiout wise. Despite this dismal result, I will continue what I'm doing for one more week.

On the brighter side, I ran a 4 minute 1/2 mile today. That's pretty good for me.

Nah you're doin fine. 14lbs in less than 4 weeks? Seems like great progress to me. You might even need to bump up calories for a couple days just to give your metabolism a jolt. :cool:

California Jack
04-19-2008, 19:43
Dang, for a second there, I thought you typed that you ran a "4 and a half minute mile"!
Well, that's really closer to the truth, I just didn't want to brag. :rofl: I'm sure if I did type that you'd a called BS on me .

Cobra, I am a firm believer in days off from dieting. I usually take Saturdays off. But I'm on a 2 week dieting cycle right now, so I'll take Saturday and a little of Sunday off next weekend. Thanks for the encouragement.

BCR
04-19-2008, 23:45
Brad(CR), do you respond well to heckling and hazing? If so, I'll go over to Rip's message board and bring some quotes about folks not doing PCs. :rofl:

I'm sure he would have a field day with me!

Gimme all ya got!

In all honesty though, I never even considered power cleans. I only thought about C&J and the snatch, and both can't be done in my basement.

But a HUGE shame on me for NOT thinking of PCs.

proactive
04-20-2008, 15:54
Alright, I just did my first "true" power cleans while warming up for my workout. I have a LOT to clean up, technique wise, but this is the first time I've successfully kept my arms out of the movement. I even used that screwy grip you guys use.

I'm not ashamed to admit I only used 135. I just went ahead and did 10 singles with that weight. I could never keep my arms loose with less weight.
I need to especially work on my flexibility to get my elbows up. I did feel like my timing was much much better overall and it seemed like I could pile a bunch more weight on when I get my form right.

BCR, if I can start to figure this thing out, it should be a breeze for you. I'm going to go down a shake and review SS.

California Jack
04-20-2008, 16:03
Hey pro, I agree with you. It is easier to stop early arm bending with a heavier weight. As far asw wrist and shoulder flexibilty, do front squats as well as PCs. You can also load the bar up really heavy in the rack , an inch or two below you rack height, set up under in the rack position and press up against the bar. FWIW, I can't properly rack weights less than 135.

proactive
04-20-2008, 16:30
Hey pro, I agree with you. It is easier to stop early arm bending with a heavier weight. As far asw wrist and shoulder flexibilty, do front squats as well as PCs. You can also load the bar up really heavy in the rack , an inch or two below you rack height, set up under in the rack position and press up against the bar. FWIW, I can't properly rack weights less than 135.

I like the rack suggestion, but have no rack in the SGWC. This may be my breaking point...I may actually have to get a gym membership now.

California Jack
04-20-2008, 18:29
SGWC? I think you need to add that to the FAQ/Arconym List.

proactive
04-20-2008, 19:39
Super Ghetto Workout Club. BCR is one of the founders. I opened a chapter in my back yard.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/booglesworth/motivator6416962.jpg

BCR
04-20-2008, 22:29
Alright, I just did my first "true" power cleans while warming up for my workout. I have a LOT to clean up, technique wise, but this is the first time I've successfully kept my arms out of the movement. I even used that screwy grip you guys use.

I'm not ashamed to admit I only used 135. I just went ahead and did 10 singles with that weight. I could never keep my arms loose with less weight.
I need to especially work on my flexibility to get my elbows up. I did feel like my timing was much much better overall and it seemed like I could pile a bunch more weight on when I get my form right.

BCR, if I can start to figure this thing out, it should be a breeze for you. I'm going to go down a shake and review SS.

Good stuff!

I started to read the chapter in SS on the power clean. I kinda forgot it was even in there.

Still a little intimidated by it, but should give it a shot soon.

Might look like a fish out of water on this one fellas!:rofl:

BCR
04-20-2008, 22:31
Super Ghetto Workout Club. BCR is one of the founders. I opened a chapter in my back yard.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f324/booglesworth/motivator6416962.jpg

OH YEAH!

Keepin the dream alive!!!:supergrin:

California Jack
04-26-2008, 09:10
4/27/08 Saturday morning weigh-in: 216.0. Down 3.5 for the week.

Only a pound away from my goal. However I am taking a free day today.

As I get closer to my original goal, I realize after I get there I am probably going to add a second goal. Probably below 210.

California Jack
04-26-2008, 11:37
As a side bar, I ran a mile today at 8:50. That's about 11 seconds faster than I ran it back in Feb. If I had known what I was doing I could have done better. I'll try this again in May and I think I should break 8:30.

DBradD
04-26-2008, 13:50
Way to go! I'd say that's pretty fast for a strength athlete your size. How many pants sizes or belt loops are you down now?

I'm trying to get my program going again. I'm averaging 3-3.5 hours of fragmented sleep per day over the last 10 days, so I have little ability to recover from anything beyond a few short conditioning workouts per week.

California Jack
04-26-2008, 18:07
Thanks Brad. 2 or three belt loops. Same pants, I'm quickly turning into an old man, I like my pants really loose and baggy. They're about where I like 'em.

3 hours of fragmented sleep? YIKES! That would absolutely kill me. Young ones not sleeping well?

Jack

DBradD
04-27-2008, 17:10
I think our newborn is sleeping about as well as can be expected--usually getting up twice during the night. The problem is that our 14 month old has regressed somehow and is usually getting up once, sometimes twice, also.

I totally crashed this morning at the Lab, actually had a hard time driving the 2 miles to get home. I couldn't take a nap because I was too juiced up on caffeine, trying to keep moving forward.

On the bright side, I have about 70 pages of my dissertation written, 50 of that over the last 6 days, and am going at about 8-10 pages/day. It won't take long to write 250-300 pages at that rate.

California Jack
04-27-2008, 20:51
Man oh man that sounds tough Brad. I'm sure everyone is exhausted. FWIW, you have my sympathy. Good luck.

California Jack
05-17-2008, 06:15
5/17/08 Well, I skipped a few weigh-ins and fell off the wagon. This morning I weighed 220:shocked:

I actually think I got bigger than that during my weigh-in hiatus. So I'm back on track. Two weeks from now I'll be at 215.

California Jack
05-23-2008, 08:00
5/23/08 I weghed in this morning for the heck of it, 216.0. I think this is an anomily. It wouldn't surprise me if I weigh more tomorrow at my 'official' weigh-in. But I'm confident I'm back on track.

DBradD
05-23-2008, 17:05
Cool.

California Jack
05-24-2008, 16:12
5/24/08 Officioal Sat. morning weigh-in= 218.5. Up 2.5 from yesterday but I expected this. Down 1.5 for week.

I may not be successful this week. Tomorrow is a family birthday party for my younger son and a cookout monday. Tonight we are having a going away party for my buddy's sister.

I ran my monthly mile today 8:27. I probably could have gotten about 5 seconds faster.

As a side, I got a measuring wheel. I'm going to measure 220 yds, 440 yds and 880 yds from my house a long the street. I'm going to paint a line in the street. Hope I don't get a vandal charge against me. I think I'll wear my safety vest and hard hat to look official.

BCR
05-24-2008, 23:34
As a side, I got a measuring wheel. I'm going to measure 220 yds, 440 yds and 880 yds from my house a long the street. I'm going to paint a line in the street. Hope I don't get a vandal charge against me. I think I'll wear my safety vest and hard hat to look official.

LOL!:rofl:

Make sure you talk into a radio too. Even more official-er looking. :supergrin:

California Jack
05-25-2008, 07:24
That's a great idea. I'll have to borrow a walkie talkie from the kids.:rofl:

DBradD
05-25-2008, 18:02
You guys crack me up.

California Jack
08-09-2008, 13:25
All right. I never achieved my goal of sub 215. I got lazy and stayed around the 216 to 218 range. However, after my 2 week vacaton I got up to 224.5 as weighed last Monday. I didn't watch my diet nor workout, and I drank too much beer, while away. This morning I was down to 220.

I'm sure most of my weight gain was water. I think beer bloats me.

I'm back to posting my Saturday morning weigh-ins. I will make sub 215 this time. Although, I think I need to be sub 210 to be at fighting weight.

DBradD
08-09-2008, 13:35
LOL, you and me both. I was up to 188 this morning, which is about 8-10 lb above a usual "good" weight for me. I'm having a bit of trouble zeroing in on how much to eat, so I'm thinking about actually weighing and measuring for a while to calibrate myself.

California Jack
08-09-2008, 14:28
LOL, you and me both. I was up to 188 this morning, which is about 8-10 lb above a usual "good" weight for me. I'm having a bit of trouble zeroing in on how much to eat, so I'm thinking about actually weighing and measuring for a while to calibrate myself.

Prof D,

Are you still IFing?

DBradD
08-09-2008, 14:37
On and off. I love it...sometimes. The convenience can't be beat, but I think it has probably contributed to screwing up my perception of portion sizes.

California Jack
08-09-2008, 17:16
I can see that. IF maybe an always kinda thing.

DBradD
08-09-2008, 20:43
I think that might be right, especially if one doesn't WAM food, which I don't generally do.

I've actually read that more randomized IFing is more Paleo and supposedly better, but I've also read several times that a haphazard eating schedule is the worst for fat gain, triglycerides, etc., so who knows.

I think IFing is fine, but I think it's good to either regiment or WAM foods.

proactive
08-09-2008, 20:47
I'm sure most of my weight gain was water. I think beer bloats me.

I think beer bloats the **** outta me too. I should probably cut back a little.

BCR
08-09-2008, 21:08
I think beer bloats the **** outta me too. I should probably cut back a little.

Me too. So I cut back..............WAY back.

Last beer was 1998. :supergrin:

California Jack
08-09-2008, 21:51
WAM foods Is WAM in our FAQ? I have no idea. Weigh and measure?

DBradD
08-10-2008, 13:49
Yes, WAM = Weigh And Measure

PeterJasonMN
08-14-2008, 11:13
I'm surprised even with the frequency I've been drinking beer (no more than 4 per night though) I'm still losing. I did get stuck for a while at a certain weight, but that was more due to ****ty workouts and not going for a while. I finally busted through that level the other day. Three more pounds to weight loss goal #1.

Dalton Wayne
08-14-2008, 11:32
The most I ever weighed was 330 lbs my current weight is 195 lbs I am 6' tall lost all the weight 6 years ago and can now eat anything I want as much as I want and the weight stays off.

California Jack
08-14-2008, 17:33
The most I ever weighed was 330 lbs my current weight is 195 lbs I am 6' tall lost all the weight 6 years ago and can now eat anything I want as much as I want and the weight stays off.

OK, I'll bite, are you training with Michael Phelps?

Dalton Wayne
08-14-2008, 17:38
Gastric bypass

California Jack
08-14-2008, 17:41
Ahhh, I got it . Well. it seems to be working, good job.

PeterJasonMN
08-14-2008, 22:44
My top ever was 350. I had a consult with the doctor about gastric/LapBand and he was talking about all the hoops you gotta jump through to get it. He goes "When you walk into one of those group therapy meetings, they're going to look at you like food. Those people are THAT big"

California Jack
08-16-2008, 11:06
8/16/08 Weigh-in 218.5 back to where I was before my 2 week vacation.. On to 215!

DBradD
08-18-2008, 06:57
Hey CJ, do you mind if I piggy-back my "DIGFat" log here?

California Jack
08-18-2008, 20:02
No problem. Knock urself out.

It is probably a good idea.

DBradD
08-18-2008, 20:35
Post 1 of my DIGF part of the thread.

August 18th:
5'-8", 187 lb, 14.9%BF by scale
OLS 4x7
HSPU (palms) 10,10,9,7
OAPU 4x12 with index fingers 7" apart
Kneeling rollout: 4x17
L-seat: about 10 sec.
100 Burpees: 10:45 with strict enforcement of 10" reach at the top

Goal:
Drop some blubber to <10%BF. Continue to improve on all S&C parameters (move forward on progressions). Honestly, it sounds corny, but one big motivation is that I've grown out of half my pants. I have 4-5 good pairs of 32-29 business casual pants that it would be nice if I could wear again rather than buying more.

How'd I get here: craploads of business travel (MUST improve eating habits during trips!!) plus intentionally ate craploads during SS:BBT a couple of months ago. Went from 178-180 to 186-188, probably mostly fat.

Exercise:
3 on, 1 off, +/- of
Day 1: Strength: HSPU+OLS, One-Arm Pushup Progression + Pullups, Neck Bridges
Day 2: Conditioning
Day 3: (Core) Alternate ab wheel rollout w/ L-seats, Lying leg swings, Back bridges

Diet: 16 block Zone W&M, 90%+ Paleo (sprouted wheat bread the only exception)

8/17/08 Diet A+ (Started Diet Plan)
8/18/08 Weight = 186.6, Bodyfat = 14.9%, Diet as planned
8/19/08 Weight = 186.4, Bodyfat = 14.5%, Diet as planned
8/20/08 Weight = 186.4, Bodyfat = 13.7%, Diet B+ (business lunch: good serving sizes, no sweets--blocks not strictly counted)

Dropping to 14 carb blocks tomorrow. Not because scales aren't moving, but more because the carbs "feel" like too much.

8/21/08 Weight = 186.8, Bodyfat = 13.8%, Diet as planned.
8/22/08 Weight = 185.8, Bodyfat = 13.5%, Diet as planned
8/23/08 Weight = 185.6, Bodyfat = 14.0%, Diet as planned
8/24/08 Weight = 184.8, Bodyfat = 14.0%, Afternoon Cheat Meal!!
8/26/08 Weight = 185.4, Bodyfat = 12.2% (indicates better hydration), Diet as planned
8/27/08 Weight = 185.0, Bodyfat = 14.0%
8/28/08
8/29/08
8/30/08 Weight = 184.6, Bodyfat = 13.7%, A cheat meal during lunch
9/8/08 Weight = 185.2, Bodyfat = 13.4% (I'll take it after Labor Day weekend)
9/11/08 Weight = 186.0, Bodyfat = 13.0%
9/13/08 Weight = 185.6, Bodyfat = 13.2%
9/18/08 Weight = 184.8, Bodyfat = 13.8%

California Jack
08-18-2008, 21:07
Hey Brad, give me a few examoles of what your diet looks like please.

DBradD
08-19-2008, 06:55
I arranged it into 4x4 block meals. My activity level isn't all that high, so I think 16 is about right. Of course, the advantage of the Zone is the ability to make small adjustments. If I don't see a strong weight loss, then I'll stay at 16 protein and fat blocks and go to 12 carb blocks. I've not given the Zone w/ strict WAM a fair chance, so this seems like a cool time for an experiment.

Sample meals (I mix up 4 similar ones)

6 oz wild-caught salmon
18 baby carrots
4 cups of broccoli (yeah, 4...)
Half avocado

4 oz grilled chicken
apple
orange
8 whole macadamia nuts

4 whole eggs
2 pieces of sprouted grain bread
0.8 oz almond butter

BCR
08-19-2008, 10:33
4 cups of broccoli?????

Yikes.

DBradD
08-19-2008, 10:51
Yeah, that's 2 Zone blocks. I hate veggies, but I try to have at least *some* of my carbs from them.

California Jack
08-23-2008, 08:55
8/23/08 morning weigh-in 217.0 down 1.5 foir the week

California Jack
08-23-2008, 09:40
Either I wasn't feeling great today, had an off day, or weightloss is affecting me, but I had a crappy weight session today. Did not get all reps on last set of DLs or BP.

Did have a decent finisher however.

DBradD
08-23-2008, 10:20
Hang in there.

My plan is working OK so far. I went from 16/16/16 blocks to 14/16/16 after a couple of days and I'm down 1.0 lb in 6 days. For now anyway, I'm diggin' the WAM foods. I feel much more in control of my own destiny that way. Eating 4x / day is starting to wear on me, though. I think I'd probably be miserable IFing at 14/16/16, so I think I'm stuck with this schedule.

California Jack
08-23-2008, 13:12
Thanks Brad. Not complaining about the poor workout, just noting it.

Congrats on your effort. Enjoying WAM? You are truely an engineer.

DBradD
08-23-2008, 13:22
"Enjoying" being defined as being happy that I think my plan is working out. Any amount of calorie restriction is unpleasant, so if I'm going to do that, I want it to work as efficiently as possible and be over with.

If I was at maintenance, I probably wouldn't WAM.

California Jack
08-23-2008, 13:34
How's the new job going? Classes start soon?

DBradD
08-23-2008, 14:13
Going fine. Classes start next Wednesday and I'm ready other than getting my first lecture ready. Consulting and research are both going fine. I'm busier than heck and have been working 7 days/week since we moved. Moving put me behind a couple of weeks.

We're having a bit of trouble getting used to Lexington, although I don't know if it's because of the particular suburb we're living in. We've been very surprised at the rudeness and general unhelpful nature of almost everybody we've dealt with so far. The culture is strikingly different from that in Virginia (well, maybe near DC) or Nashville, which is a much larger city and only 3 hours away. The apartment complex and university folks have been fantastic, but just about nobody else has--school, pediatricians, insurance folks, retail, other drivers, etc. I think we'll end up driving out in the country to one of the adjacent smaller towns. There are some really nice ones.

There's also no gun or archery range within 35 min. which I found to be a complete shocker. I also haven't found anything other than GloboGyms, but I've taken that into my own hands anyway.

California Jack
08-23-2008, 14:48
Thanks for the update Brad. I've never been there (KY) or anywhere in VA other than the DC area but I find it interesting you find it that much different.

What classes are you teaching?

Can you use an on-campus gym?

DBradD
08-23-2008, 15:20
I find VA (except the near-yankee part and near Va. Beach), NC, and TN to be extremely similar. I was very surprised to see such a difference in KY also. I find the cultures in SC, GA, and AL to be not to my liking also, but for other reasons. I'm definitely a mid-Atlantic guy.

I'm teaching the first course in steel design.

There are on-campus gyms, but I haven't checked them out yet. It would be a big enough pain to get back on campus in the evenings that I'd never use them anyway. Campus is downtown. Not sure if I'll ever get into the groove of going there during lunch. That might be a possibility. I figure I'll probably be never gymless until we get into a house and then I'll start building.

California Jack
08-23-2008, 19:53
There ya have it. I would have figured TN and KY to be similar.

Brad, you should try OK or TX, we're really friendly here.:cool:

Really, I uderstand, I'm either a NorCal or OK TX guy. Heck, I can't stand SoCal or Nevada or even MO.

California Jack
08-30-2008, 09:18
8/30/08 Saturday morning weigh-in 214.0!

I think this may be an anomoly. I suspect I should have been more like 216 but I was sick yesterday and didn't eat after 2 pm.

Will be hard to stay below 215 w/3 day weekend and I'm taking today as a cheat day.

DBradD
08-30-2008, 15:33
Great job CJ. I'll take an anomaly like that--they happen the other direction too!

I'm at 184, which is down 2 lb in 10 days. Noticeable difference in pants--33s were just a little tight and now are OK.

Got sick to death of eating 4x per day, so Thurs and Fri started IFing (feeding 1-2pm to 7-8pm) w/ WaM 14/16/16.

I slacked off today and ate junk this morning and am not WaM the rest of the day.

California Jack
08-30-2008, 15:49
Nothin' wrong with that Brad! Congrats on the 2#.

I think a cheat day is necessary. If fact, I'm drinking a Sam Adams Boston Lager as I'm typing this.:drink:

DBradD
08-30-2008, 16:35
Thanks dude. I don't mind progress at that rate. I don't feel any weakness or lack of energy.

I hope you're enjoying your cheat day.

How's the golfer's elbow? My left arm GE is trying to come back, so I've added straps. I think I have given "time" enough of a chance to get rid of it and might have to resort to some kind of sports massage. Actually, now that I have good insurance, I should make an appointment to see a sports med doctor. I want to have food allergy tests done.

California Jack
08-30-2008, 18:11
Thanks dude. I don't mind progress at that rate. I don't feel any weakness or lack of energy.

I hope you're enjoying your cheat day.

How's the golfer's elbow? My left arm GE is trying to come back, so I've added straps. I think I have given "time" enough of a chance to get rid of it and might have to resort to some kind of sports massage. Actually, now that I have good insurance, I should make an appointment to see a sports med doctor. I want to have food allergy tests done. I really don't know what's going on with my elbow. Like you say, it's not too painfull. It is however now starting to bother me at weird times. Like today it hurt during the bench press. I just don't know.

See the doc if you can.

I think I may have enjoyed my cheat day a little too much.

Good luck.

California Jack
09-06-2008, 07:22
Saturday AM 8/6/08 214.5 At first I was a little disappointed with the .5 pound weieght gain for this week, until I remebered last week was an anomoly and I wasn't well disciplined on the 3 day weekend lasr week. I think this is a good week. At least I stayed below 215.

DBradD
09-08-2008, 04:11
oops. Hit Quote instead of Edit.

DBradD
09-11-2008, 09:12
Dang, I hate that!! I hit the Quote button again instead of hte Edit!

California Jack
09-11-2008, 11:53
LOL! That;s why I decided to do a running log isted of editing one post.

DBradD
09-13-2008, 07:20
9/13/08 185.6 -- dead standstill on weight, although I felt like I had a good week. Strength and conditioning still improving. Up to 5,4,4,3 at -4" HSPU, 9,9,8,7 pullups, and down to 9:23 for 100 burpees, 12,12,12,12 neck bridges. Also moved ahead on one-arm pushup progression: 6,6,6,6 with the off-arm almost straight to the side. Not sure what to do next, though, because I don't think I'm close to a one-arm pushup without support. Probably try OAPU on an incline. Standing rollouts coming along very slowly, w/ feet 6 feet (my feet, not ft) 1", 5,5,3--darn frustrating exercise.

California Jack
09-13-2008, 07:33
Odd, Brad, I had a great week diet-wise too, and yet, at this mornings weigh-in I ws up 1 pound. :steamed:

Saturday morning weigh-in 9/13/09 215.5

DBradD
09-13-2008, 07:53
Perhaps the gravitational acceleration has increased a little.

California Jack
09-13-2008, 08:45
Perhaps some sort of inverse pressure on the outsike of the hurricane.

DBradD
09-13-2008, 09:50
I'm supposed two speak to 2 groups in Houston next week -- not sure if that'll happen now.

California Jack
09-13-2008, 12:32
WOW, no kidding. If you go, let us know what you see there.

FWIW, I don't like Houston much.

DBradD
09-20-2008, 07:32
9/20/08: 186.0. Still dead standstill, although I think I did a good job last week. Probably need to go to 12/16/16 blocks. Still getting stronger. Honestly think that what I ate and how late I ate it affects the weigh-ins. A couple of days ago, I was at 184.8, but last night I exercised late and saved my last meal until 10pm. I'm a bit "stopped up" at the moment too.

An aside: Houston trip was cancelled. Went to Nashville instead to re-test a hospital floor. On the way back, my jeep died at 9pm in the middle of freakin' nowhere. Power steering pump pulley failed and came off. Ended up having it towed 90 miles and got home at 2am, then teach at 8am. Darn lucky to find the guy who towed me home that late. He's a really cool HD biker dude who runs his own bidnus doing stuff like that. I told him how to create his own ginseng plantation during the trip home. I hope he gives it a try. Fun Thursday evening!

California Jack
09-20-2008, 08:54
Well CRAP. I thought I had a decent week and ended up even higher.

UP to 217.5 on the AM of 9/20/08.

Despite my failure today is cheat day and Im gonna do it. I will have to reevaluate my diet. Perhaps the Warrior Diet is in my future and I'm going to step up the length of my conditioning workouts.

DBradD
09-20-2008, 09:38
I think TWD is a blast, so I'd like to see how it works out for you, CJ. I'd be IFing now except that I workout in the evenings. Before, I actually missed a few workouts because I was so stuffed during the entire time window I could've exercised.

DBradD
10-12-2008, 10:14
10/12/08: 185.0

Still moving ahead with S&C and my pants fit, so not too worried about the lack of weight loss. At some point, I need to take that more seriously, though. It would be nice to be about 175.