Yoyoy Villame and his guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yoyoy Villame and his guns

CatsMeow
03-24-2008, 21:15
Hi all,

The great Yoyoy Villame was taken from us on 18 May 2007. I dunno if he was a shooter, but one song of his really stuck in my mind: "Granada". It went partly like this:

Kanyon, anti-aircraft, torpedo, machine gun, granadaaa...
Bomba, dinamita, Garand, Armalite, granadaaa...
Riple, cuareinta y cinco, pistola, paltik, shotgun, batutaaa...
Mortar, tirador, indian pana, balisong, carbine, Thompson, automatic rifle, surit-surit bazookaaaa...

Grease gun, time bomb, `chikorno, chaku, and granadaaaa...
Kampilan, kutsilyo, sundang, tabak, garrote, judo, karate, granadaaa...

He runs out of weapons at this point...

Boksing, basketball, wrestling, kusinero, houseboy, gardinero, housemaid, mejordomaaaa...
Driver, conductor, pasajero, inspector, cochero, foreman, capataz el caminero...

Only his songs would get me laughing out loud in my car...:supergrin:

chowchow
03-25-2008, 08:25
LOL. I remember that very well CM when growing up in the 70s. Our neighbors were mostly from Dalaguete, Cebu, and they love to listen to Yoyoy as well as daily noontime (siesta) radio dramas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO5SsP_f7iA

Granada

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h9d6euV6nUc

bmag
03-25-2008, 23:34
Sorry chaps! Posted a new thread right before I checked in on this one.
Mods, please delete my new thread on Granada.

Driven is my idlemost subconcious with all these posts abt Magellan and Yoyoy.
What a coincidence...

CatsMeow
03-26-2008, 01:01
Sorry chaps! Posted a new thread right before I checked in on this one.
Mods, please delete my new thread on Granada.

Driven is my idlemost subconcious with all these posts abt Magellan and Yoyoy.
What a coincidence...

Hey bmag, could you also post "Sion...Tion"? I know I got Yoyoy's CDs with me in the office, but we all could use a laugh...:rofl:

bmag
03-26-2008, 01:38
Would that be the tagalog green spoof sung to the tune of "Hurtin Inside" which is not about shining shoes?

May na eternal ban na ba dito?

CatsMeow
03-26-2008, 01:45
Oh no, the first verse went:

In my own observation, in this new life situation
Ang mundo'y nag-pollution, sa dami nang population
In this new generation, ang tao'y naka-addition
Kung minsa'y multiplication, di na magkasya sa subdivision

Sion.... Tion....:supergrin:

bmag
03-26-2008, 02:19
Ok CM, I got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okbqbUOtRLg#

I never heard this before.
This fellow is very relevant.
Ala ba siyang award man lang?

CatsMeow
03-26-2008, 02:36
I don't know if he got any awards, but since his singing career spanned decades, he should... His pal, Max Surban, was honored here I think two weeks ago.:cool:

I just clicked your link... I never tire of his songs. Let's see if we can get "Hayop na combo".:supergrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uBd1KKoGWU

Clusterbomb
03-26-2008, 04:36
Since we're on the topic of Yoyoy Villame's songs, does anyone know the title of this song that has these lines:

"In every afternoon three o'clock,
I read your letters, ahay!
Sa may bintana, ahay!
Sabay ang luha!.."

It's just one of those Yoyoy songs that seem to pop out of nowhere every time I have that "song-stuck-in-your-head" syndrome.

TRIVIA:

In one of the threads here, somebody mentioned Yoyoy's song about Magellan. I remember that in the early 70s, the song became popular after Super Laff-In director Rolly Grande sang it on TV. I was able to watch that episode. The following week, on the same show, he said that he was swamped by calls about the song. Apparently, a lot of viewers found the novelty song really funny- but mistook it to be Rolly's work. He quickly disavowed credit for the song and announced that it was the work of (then still little-known) Yoyoy.

bmag
03-26-2008, 04:57
I find the likes of these tunes (words and music) by Yoyoy and the hit mister swabe as culturally relating. I would classify them as true grassroot inspired OPM works.

chowchow
03-26-2008, 08:11
Mga kundiman post WW2 . Yoyoy and M Surban are classics. I like his way of rhyming all the RP provinces...

CatsMeow
03-26-2008, 19:26
Since we're on the topic of Yoyoy Villame's songs, does anyone know the title of this song that has these lines:

"In every afternoon three o'clock,
I read your letters, ahay!
Sa may bintana, ahay!
Sabay ang luha!.."

It's just one of those Yoyoy songs that seem to pop out of nowhere every time I have that "song-stuck-in-your-head" syndrome.

TRIVIA:

In one of the threads here, somebody mentioned Yoyoy's song about Magellan. I remember that in the early 70s, the song became popular after Super Laff-In director Rolly Grande sang it on TV. I was able to watch that episode. The following week, on the same show, he said that he was swamped by calls about the song. Apparently, a lot of viewers found the novelty song really funny- but mistook it to be Rolly's work. He quickly disavowed credit for the song and announced that it was the work of (then still little-known) Yoyoy.

It's "Nasaan ka Darling." Great way to learn the months of a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwxLDKuBRzs