Voc Rehab [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Voc Rehab

DesertMan
03-25-2008, 22:25
Fellow Disabled Vets:

Just wanted to say after 7 years I got my increase to 30% and selected for the college enrollment program for voc rehab. It took an interview, education testing, psychological evaluation, and more interviews but I finally got it. Im not an expert but if you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Respectfully

DM

justinhcannon
04-09-2008, 13:45
Welcome to Ch 31!

DesertMan
04-09-2008, 16:19
Welcome to Ch 31!

Thanks!:wavey:

GJ1981
04-09-2008, 16:29
Fellow Disabled Vets:

Just wanted to say after 7 years I got my increase to 30% and selected for the college enrollment program for voc rehab. It took an interview, education testing, psychological evaluation, and more interviews but I finally got it. Im not an expert but if you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

Respectfully

DM

I just received my rating and I got 30%. My local VA rep isn't to helpful right now. Is there a place online where I can get the info/paperwork, etc for the voc rehab?

torrejon224
04-09-2008, 16:52
Awesome program, I received my Bachelors and Masters thru it. Currently I have an app in to go do an on-line Gunsmithing course thru the Independent Living Program. No way could I have done it otherwise and my wife is currently working on her Bachelors thru Ch 31. FWIW, I'm 100% and my wife is 70%.

All the required paperwork is on line at www.va.gov. On the side menu click Voc-Rehab, then mail it in and begin the waiting game which is usually about three months before seeing a counselor.

alienglockster
04-27-2008, 00:24
I'm at 50% disability right now, I started VR&E awhile ago then ran into some family problems and had to drop out of the program (didn't get to start school yet). I'll hopfully be starting back up here in the next month and hopfully start school in the fall.

DesertMan
04-27-2008, 07:11
I just received my rating and I got 30%. My local VA rep isn't to helpful right now. Is there a place online where I can get the info/paperwork, etc for the voc rehab?

Sorry for the long delay been out and about with my work. You can check the VA website for a local rep if yours is not to helpful. But your VA center should have a rep avaliable there to call or talk to. Where are you located?

Desert Doc
04-28-2008, 16:26
Also check with your local DAV (Disabled American Veterans) office they can be a lot of help. Got my degree and teaching credential via Chapter 31 - great program, though a pain to get into. Waiting right now to have current percentage (30%) increased due to other lingering problems and PTSD....of course VA is dragging their feet. They just asked for information I've already sent to them. Dealing with St. Louis is a royal pain in the arse!!

GJ1981
04-28-2008, 20:04
Sorry for the long delay been out and about with my work. You can check the VA website for a local rep if yours is not to helpful. But your VA center should have a rep avaliable there to call or talk to. Where are you located?

I'm located in Elkhart, IN. I have two local reps to speak with yet I always get the same one who isn't of the best help. He always tells me that he will get all the paperwork together yet he never finds time. I'll check the VA site and see if there is someone else near by that could help, Thanks

the iceman
04-28-2008, 21:03
Would I still be able to do the Voc Rehab although I will have a bachelors next month?

I have a 50% rating and currently awaiting an appeal (since July 2005)!

Desert Doc
04-29-2008, 03:58
That depends. An important thing to remember is that VocRehab is focused on getting you training in order to get you a job. A degree is a means to an end...but not the end itself. It also depends how you write it up and who is your rehab counselor and how they view it. It is possible, but can be difficult. What is your current degree in and how employable is it? For example, my degree was in History with a minor in education prep....so I needed a teaching credential in order to teach high school....they paid for the year of training to get the teaching credential, but this required me to complete my bachelors degree in three years with the final year covering the credentialing program. What ever you do you have a total of 48 months of benefits only.

NOCM
04-29-2008, 05:19
I am supposed to have the initial appointment for Voc Rehab in a couple weeks. If I just got a GS12 position with the DOD, am I eligible for this or should I just pass on it and let somebody else who needs the benefit more use it? (I think I just answered my own question...)

Blitzer
04-29-2008, 07:54
Just don't drop out of the program, like I did, without jumping through the hoops or you will never get back in!