Saw something very cool today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saw something very cool today

method
06-12-2002, 18:13
I was driving through a state park today when I noticed a very big bird emerging from the tall grass ahead of me. Turned out to be a turkey, and as I got closer, I could see about 8 little babies following mommy around. As I pulled up, she led them back into the grass....wish I had a camera on me.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
06-12-2002, 20:35
Congrats!

Baby turkeys are very cute, I saw something like that in a park in Idaho.

PP

Grey Wolf
06-14-2002, 19:28
Cool. This is what I love about the outdoors. All those little things most people would take for granted. Wish I was there with you.
Mother Nature... gotta love her even though she's a b***h most the time!!!

Later
Grey Wolf

Kilgor
06-15-2002, 07:28
Method, great sighting! I saw my first wild bobcat last night while driving on some back roads. He was probably 25 pounds or so and he disappeared into the foliage fast.

Kilgor

MrMunster
06-17-2002, 05:03
I was lucky enough once to see the same thing, except mom flew off the road into the woods.

When the young ones tried to follow, they bounced off of the branches and crashed to the ground. None of them were hurt, but it was funny to watch.

Michigun
06-18-2002, 00:31
Baby turkeys a called the "Brew" (SP) just for informational purposes.

I have to disagree however about baby turkeys being "cute"... I've commented many times on the fact that a baby turkey is about the only animal that's ugly as a baby & they get even uglier as they get older!:)

method
06-26-2002, 18:16
Michigun--Maybe you're thinking of the word "brood", which I think applies to a group of any infant birds.

Poodleshooter
06-28-2002, 04:57
Individuals are called poults. Adolescent males are jakes, adolescent females are jennys, mature males are toms and females are hens.

Kilgor
06-28-2002, 05:25
Poults are young turkeys.