Tools need opinions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tools need opinions

BManoftheyear
03-27-2008, 16:42
Well I am in the market for a new wrench and socket set,probably around a 100pc set.
Where I work we have tool trucks that come every week,we have snap-on and cornwell.I cannot afford to buy the whole set up front so I'll get it off the truck and pay 10% of my balance every week.
What is your opinion and experience with these 2 companies?
Snap-on has blue point which is around $300 for a 100pc set,I have to check the cornwell truck tomorrow and see what his prices are.
How do they fare in price between the 2,also quality?
I didn't know where to post this so I figured it would be ok here,sorry to the mods if this isn't where it should be please move it so I know where to post again in the future.Thanyou very much

Clem Eastwood
03-27-2008, 17:19
Ive used mostly Snap On, Mac, Craftsman and some Matco. I definatly prefer the Snap On. Mac has really nice stuff as well. They all get the job done and Ive never even had a Craftsman tool break. Id go with Snap On if cost werent an issue. I buy a lot of craftsman because its cheap, they work and the warranty is decent if you dont make your living with the tools. But Craftsman doesnt have a lot of the specialty tools that can make life much easier like Snap On, Mac, Matco (and I presume cornwell) have. get what feels best, im sure either would be fine.

BManoftheyear
03-27-2008, 19:14
I have broke craftsman ratchets a few times.It just seems like their tolerances on the tools aren't held high.I haven't used anything but craftsman and snap-on.I am gonna buy this time and I am not gonna go cheap on it either,
I can get a craftsman 260pc set for $199 or the snap on 100pc for $300-$349
I am gonna get the snap on unless cornwell has got snap on beat on price.See the bad thing is people at my job around 25 of them have different opinions on it also.Some like snap-on some like cornwell.The most common thing I hear is that they like cornwell 6point wrenches and the rest snap on.The cornwell 6 points are expensive around $260 for a 10pc wrench set and you have to buy 2 sets one in standard and one in metric so that is $520.
Aww what the hell I am gonna buy it weds from snap on

BManoftheyear
03-29-2008, 17:12
no-one else has anything to say about this.I bet if I started a hi point thread it would be 5 pages long.

filthy infidel
04-06-2008, 07:55
First time in this thread, been wrenching for too long.

I like $nap on but if money is an object (and it always is) you'd be fine with Craftsman's professional line for now. My favorite ratchet is a Craftsman.

I like Cornwell and Mac as well. I buy based on 1)need, 2) price and 3) is this tool guy going to be around or disappear like every G** D*** Mac truck in this city.

The only thing I'd recommend is don't buy a single socket that only retains on the ball detent on your ratchet on ONE side.

220-9er
04-06-2008, 17:46
I'd stick with Snap-on. Ask your tool guy if he has wrenches he has repo'ed that he can make a better deal on. They won't tell you this but most will deal some if you buy their previously owned inventory or pay in full.

AutomotiveTech
04-07-2008, 12:24
If you use your tools everyday then I would get the Snap-on. A set for the house that only gets used now and then does not need to be as nice, and craftsman would be fine. Tools are much like guns, personal preference will determine how happy you are with them. I use almost all Snap-on, but I really prefer the Mac 1/2 to 3/8 extensions because they do not act like a torsion bar like the Snap-on ones I have used. I also have not seen a Mac truck in about five years, and when I broke one I sent it with a friend to Georgia when he visited his mechanic father, and on his next trip he picked up the new one. It took a year.

IslandHopper
04-07-2008, 17:03
I've broken a couple craftsman ratchets, but in both cases I had an absurdly long pipe sliped over the end to turn it into a breaker bar :)

The nice part is that when I get done swearing, I can just run down the street to Sears and they NEVER hassle you about trading a broken one for a brand new wrench. Same with screwdrivers (that have been used as prybars.) sockets (regular ones that have been used with an impact wrench) etc...
For a driveway mechanic, they're a pretty good deal.

alwayshear
04-09-2008, 16:12
Back in '91 I was working as a mechanic for a car dealership. I had just purchased a Snap-On roll-away and top chest set up w/ tools. It cost roughly $2500 which was a lot for a kid making $7.25/hour. I also had a few Craftsman tools in the box which I had previously owned. About a month or two after I got the job the place burned down. It was a total loss. Snap-On would not replace the tools. Fire damage was not cover in their lifetime warranty. I took the Craftsman tools back to Sears, the salesperson told me to go replace what I had and if the tool was no longer available I would get the equivalent upgrade! Craftsman for me! YMMV!

BManoftheyear
04-09-2008, 18:28
well I bought the blue point BLPGSSC100 pc set today for $300
The set is alot nicer then craftsman stuff and for what I got I would spend $300 or more in C-MAN tools to get it the same way.
The finish isn't as nice(not polished) but the quality is there.By the time I get one the truck at work all the good repo stuff is gone,he keeps it on this tool box shelf so everyone knows and see's it.
I feel it was a good deal.I work on cars every weekend,at least one.I fix friends,and families cars all the time so the set will pay itself off quickly.
I had a cheap crescent set that was around 10years old and wore out so it was time for me to get a new set.I am pleased with the set and am sure it will have a long time of paying itself off over and over again.

ecmills
07-07-2008, 21:00
no-one else has anything to say about this.I bet if I started a hi point thread it would be 5 pages long.

You're on a gun website. Go to a place full of tool-whores (www.garagejournal.com is pretty good) and ask a gun question. you'll find limited replies that way, too. ;)

BManoftheyear
07-10-2008, 21:32
thanks for diggin up my old thread ended up buying snap on guys