Transfering a gun out of state to a NV resident... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Transfering a gun out of state to a NV resident...

Oldskoolfan
03-27-2008, 22:36
I am interested in selling a gun (I am not a NV resident) to someone in Vegas. He says that he does not need to transfer through an FFL as he will be registering the gun with the county and neither of us are FFL dealers. I was wondering if there are any cheap FFLs as he says that the majority of FFLs are $60-70 per transfer and he is trying to save a few bucks.

I was wondering if it is true that you do not need to go through and FFL? I am very skeptical and not very interested in selling it as I am not 100% sure of the legality doing what he is asking. I think he might mean well but I am not 100% sure he is correct.

So are there any cheap FFL dealers out there? Something more reasonable than the $60-70 they are asking? I believe he is in the Las Vegas area.

crazypilot
03-27-2008, 23:43
I wouldn't because you do not know that persons background. Does he even have a CFP? Before the individual can posses a firearm, he has to get a background check done which will cost him $25 and a 3 day wait. As for FFL fees, Bargain Pawn charges $20 (according to their website). I would go through an FFL so that they have a legal record of the transaction.

Got this from the ATF website:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[B](B16) What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction?

When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are "same-State" residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S. C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.

There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.

[B]Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer's State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

JimBianchi
03-28-2008, 01:29
Bargin Pawn is the FFL I'm using here.

Great guy, reasonable fee ($25 with CCW)

By federal law, all out of state transfers must go through an FFL.

And in Clark County, you'll need a blue card for handguns to (Semi-illegal gun registration scheme. NV’s constitution specifically forbids it, so the county doesn’t call it registration.....)

While a transfer can be done without an FFL, the gray bar hotel is not a nice place to visit if the FED's catch you.

Oldskoolfan
03-28-2008, 07:32
Thanks for the information. He is going to use an FFL so everything is legit. I dont want to run afoul of the law. He did offer to send me a copy of his Pistol Permits and Drivers License. I will ask for those in addition to a copy of an FFL. I will give him the information to the FFL that you all recommended.

Thanks for the information.

Do you guys have contact information for Bargain Pawn?

crazypilot
03-28-2008, 19:27
Thanks for the information. He is going to use an FFL so everything is legit. I dont want to run afoul of the law. He did offer to send me a copy of his Pistol Permits and Drivers License. I will ask for those in addition to a copy of an FFL. I will give him the information to the FFL that you all recommended.

Thanks for the information.

Do you guys have contact information for Bargain Pawn?

http://www.bargainpawn.com/

G19Tony
03-28-2008, 22:20
I use Bargin Pawn also. Glen is a good guy and his transfers are the cheapest in town.

JimBianchi
03-29-2008, 12:09
I just got back from picking up my Buckmark I bought from someone here on the GT.

$20 FFL tansfer with a CCW

$45 wihout.

Oldskoolfan
03-30-2008, 12:10
Thanks for the information and the link.

rwschill
04-03-2008, 22:32
Glen Parshal at Bargain Pawn is very reputable and knows the gun laws. I have purchased guns from him and done many transfers. He teaches CCW classes also at what may be the best price in LV.