Part of Highway Renamed for Charleston 9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Part of Highway Renamed for Charleston 9

The Pontificator
03-29-2008, 10:53
CHARLESTON (WCSC) - Battalian Chief Joseph Roberts says the Charleston Fire Department still feels the pain of losing 9 of their men last year, but outside the department it's a different story.

"Unfortunately, as the time goes by there will be other tragedies that will be front page news and June 18th will be yesterday's news", Roberts said.

So he's glad that part of Savannah Highway will now be called The Charleston Nine Memorial Highway. Representative Leon Stavrinakis says his bill to change the name passed quickly through the House and the Senate.

"I think everybody in the state felt a heartfelt deep sorrow about what happened and at the same time pride that in South Carolina we have public servants who gave their lives to make us safer", Stavrinakis said.

The renamed portion runs on Highway 17 from Wesley Drive to Sam Rittenberg, passing right in front of the Sofa Super Store where these brave men died.

A date has not been set for the dedication.

:patriot:

4095fanatic
03-29-2008, 15:30
:patriot:

1985 4Runner
03-29-2008, 21:30
My dept sent a few of our officers to SC for the memorial services. I wanted to go, being a SC native, but was not asked.

I'm glad they are being recognized for their sacrifice.