Look what the mailman delivered [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Look what the mailman delivered

wtf jack
03-29-2008, 19:19
TA31RCOM4CP ACOG with a Tenebraex killflash, which I mounted on a Colt. I included photos of the reticle and my back yard to give you guys a sense of what it feels like to look through it.

My son and I are going to have a blast tomorrow. Ubos na naman yung naka-hoard kong 5.56 ammo.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/008-1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/013.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/019.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/002-1.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/001-1.jpg

atmarcella
03-29-2008, 21:55
isnt there supposed to be a red dot? btw i like your place. where in the US is that and whats the temp like there?

bulm540
03-29-2008, 22:26
acogs have chevrons

9MX
03-30-2008, 01:44
meron din donut reticle variants

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 04:57
isnt there supposed to be a red dot? btw i like your place. where in the US is that and whats the temp like there?

Napakarami ng mga versions nitong ACOG, even just the ones for military application. Kaya iba-iba rin mga reticles - may chevron, may donut, may crosses..

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=3

8 degrees C pala ang temperature sa labas, puwede ng ihaw-ihaw.

chowchow
03-30-2008, 05:02
Pre, sarap pang close range hunting . Congrats.

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 05:31
Pre, sarap pang close range hunting . Congrats.

Thanks. Maraming mga mallards at Canadian geese nakatambay doon sa tubig sa likod ng bahay. Nagtitimpi lang ako at mukhang masarap barilin.

edtf
03-30-2008, 09:02
NICE rifle and nice place!!! Puwede ka pumutok sa area ninyo? hindi ba usually meron no hunting in residential areas?

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 09:16
NICE rifle and nice place!!! Puwede ka pumutok sa area ninyo? hindi ba usually meron no hunting in residential areas?

LOL! Hindi puwede magpaputok sa neighborhood. Medyo mahigpit, may camera sa bawat traffic light at tsaka may mga microphone ng ginagamit pang-triangulate kung saan galing ang gunshots. Isang putok lang, huli kaagad.

On the other hand, madaling kumuha ng concealed carry permit dito. Anybody 21 and over kung walang felony record puwede. 10 days lang ang processing and the permit is good for five years.

Pero kung ayaw mong kumuha ng permit, puwedeng open carry. Ilagay mo lang sa holster yung baril, puwede ka ng pumunta sa grocery. Kailangan lang kita ng lahat yung pistol kung wala kang concealed carry permit.

horge
03-30-2008, 17:01
Thanks for clearing tha up, wtfj.

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 17:26
LOL! It is good to be cautious and courteous. That is why if you look closely, the scope is not mounted on any weapon when the reticle picture was taken. It was laid on top of a small table with the camera sitting on a bunch of books. The front sight, although blurred, would also be visible if it was mounted on an AR-15. Let me know if you still feel I need to delete the reticle picture.
Thanks for the congrats, but what I have is a new ACOG on an old rifle. BTW, what kind of M-14 do you have? It is next on my son's wish list. I am thinking about getting something from Fulton Armory. To the gun grabbers - Molon labe!

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 18:19
I went to the shooting range this afternoon to zero in the ACOG. All I can say is that it is an awesome scope. It actually cost more than the rifle it is on but it is well worth the money I spent on it. My son had a blast shooting it.

Here is a pic of my son ( the young man with the AK and holstered Sig Sauer .45).

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/001-2-1.jpg

edtf
03-30-2008, 19:01
LOL! Hindi puwede magpaputok sa neighborhood. Medyo mahigpit, may camera sa bawat traffic light at tsaka may mga microphone ng ginagamit pang-triangulate kung saan galing ang gunshots. Isang putok lang, huli kaagad.

On the other hand, madaling kumuha ng concealed carry permit dito. Anybody 21 and over kung walang felony record puwede. 10 days lang ang processing and the permit is good for five years.

Pero kung ayaw mong kumuha ng permit, puwedeng open carry. Ilagay mo lang sa holster yung baril, puwede ka ng pumunta sa grocery. Kailangan lang kita ng lahat yung pistol kung wala kang concealed carry permit.

I thought so - I remembered when I was in AZ - I felt like shooting the wild doves near the house where I stayed too - hehehehe

sige ingitin mo pa kami - hahahahaha...

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 19:17
sige ingitin mo pa kami - hahahahaha...

Sure.

Since I have a concealed carry permit, I carry either a Sig Sauer 229 or a Glock 17 everywhere I go (except certain no weapons allowed area). I am also allowed to carry a center fired rifle (AK or AR for me) even in densely populated areas. Since I have a permit, the plates on my vehicles are flagged on police computers as having weapons on board the vehicle, so the police won't get surprised. Believe me that the police in this area are never ever "masungit".

BTW, my house is in the middle of one of the biggest city in this state. Don't let the nice yard fool you into thinking that I live in the woods.

Frontsight68
03-30-2008, 20:33
Hi,

Nice setup. Your lucky to be staying in a liberal state.

May I suggest a LaRue mount for your ACOG?

Frontsight

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 20:44
Hi,

Nice setup. Your lucky to be staying in a (liberal) conservative state.

May I suggest a LaRue mount for your ACOG?

Frontsight

I would love to have a LaRue quick release mount. This one goes for 125 bucks.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/p1012188.jpg

isuzu
03-30-2008, 20:58
How does that compare with Aimpoint Comp M?

wtf jack
03-30-2008, 21:33
How does that compare with Aimpoint Comp M?

The ACOG does not use any batteries. It relies on ambient light going through the fiber optic in daylight hours and on tritium when it is dark.

It is also a 4X scope, very important in identifying friend or foe very committing. It also allows for shooting non-armored or portions of the body not covered by physical barriers, like shooting exposed legs underneath a car. The bullet drop compensator is very excellent. Just match the width of the crosshair on the BDC to the width of the shoulder and you have a range estimate, with the POI already at the crosshair. It just makes 300 meter shots easy as cake.

CQB is where the Aimpoint shines. It is very friendly to two-eyes opes shooting since it is not magnified. The ACOG is workable for CQB, but not as good as Aimpoint.

Both the ACOG and the Aimpoint are combat proven in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the American forces seems to prefer the ACOG over the Aimpoint.

Here is a good read on some more comparisons:
(Note: Eotechs and Aimpoints are both non-magnified red dots)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=193965

isuzu
03-30-2008, 22:13
Yup! The US Armed Forces tend to prefer the ACOG. I've seen a picture of a Marine with an ACOG-equipped M-14.

Thanks for the info.

Frontsight68
03-31-2008, 06:57
Yup, I did get that backwards.

Thanks

Frontsight

atmarcella
04-01-2008, 11:32

lupet!

nakakaingit! anong state yan sir?

wtf jack
04-01-2008, 13:12
lupet!

Mukhang magandang gamitin ito sa Metro Manila.

http://www.dlc.org/ndol_ci.cfm?kaid=139&subid=271&contentid=252627

Gunshot detection technology, like the ShotSpotter System used in Charleston, relies on acoustic sensors deployed in public places (such as telephone poles) and a "triangulation" system to detect and locate gunfire. When these sensors pick up and then pinpoint a gunshot, usually within about 25 feet of its occurrence, a transmitter sends that information to the police department. The gunshot's location appears on a computer map and within seconds a police dispatcher can send a unit to respond. If there is any question about verifying the gunshot, a six-second recording of it is available for the police to review and make an individual determination.

More recently, the same sort of system was set up in Chicago, where gunshot detectors were located in 80 gang-ridden neighborhoods.

The real promise of these systems, however, is not just in a quicker police response; it is in helping law enforcement authorities develop and implement pro-active strategies for reducing gun crimes in targeted areas. Through the use of these systems, local police can document and learn more about the patterns of gunfire in high-crime areas. (Perhaps not surprisingly, one of the first things they learn is that many more gunshots occur in these neighborhoods than are reported to the police.) And state and local prosecutors can use the information from gunshot detection systems as evidence of when and where shootings took place, making it easier for them to make prosecutions stick -- and for law enforcement to send the tough and targeted message required to deter gun crimes.

wtf jack
04-01-2008, 13:22
Sulit na sulit itong ACOG.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/001-3.jpg

atmarcella
04-02-2008, 03:16
oh south carolina pala kayo. or is it north?

brawnless
04-02-2008, 05:48
wtf jack,

regarding the pics above:

1. the one with and without the acog sights. how far is the neighbor's door to your sight?

2. the one with the target. how big is the red bulls eye? how far was the target?

great hardware!

salamat po!

brawnless

wtf jack
04-02-2008, 07:31
oh south carolina pala kayo. or is it north?

I am just a few miles away from the Atlantic Ocean.

wtf jack
04-02-2008, 07:37
wtf jack,

regarding the pics above:

1. the one with and without the acog sights. how far is the neighbor's door to your sight?

2. the one with the target. how big is the red bulls eye? how far was the target?

great hardware!

salamat po!

brawnless

My neighbors house is probably about 80 meters away. It just look farther because the camera make it smaller.

You can easily calculate the size of the red bullseye. The holes are a bit less than 1/4 inch in diameter. If I remember it right, it is about 3 inches across.

wtf jack
04-05-2008, 13:15
I've been trying to save these for a rainy day but my kid wants to go and shoot every weekend. I am now down to a little over 2K of 5.56MM ammo. How much ammo do you keep in your house?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/003.jpg

saki1611
04-05-2008, 21:32
I've been trying to save these for a rainy day but my kid wants to go and shoot every weekend. I am now down to a little over 2K of 5.56MM ammo. How much ammo do you keep in your house?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/003.jpg

wow!:wow: how i wish to have those bunch of ammos!!!

wtf jack
04-06-2008, 09:15
The 62 grain PRVI PARTIZAN is a perfect fit for the 1/7 rifling of my Colt. I buy my 5.56 ammo from a gun shop about a couple of kilometers from my house. They have cases of ammo sitting on pallets inside the store. I've seen people go in there and buy ammo a pallet at a time. That probably would go to a shooting range somewhere. Pistol ammo I use for the shooting range I get from Wal-mart. The price of their Winchester White Box 9MM and .45 ACP are very hard to beat.

atmarcella
04-06-2008, 20:40
correct me if im wrong. bit isnt 223 different form 556?

Frontsight68
04-06-2008, 21:26
correct me if im wrong. bit isnt 223 different form 556?

Yes you are correct, there are slight differences. But .223 ammo can be safely used in 5.56 chambered rifles but not the other way around.

Chambers for 5.56 rifles have longer throats while 5.56 (MILSPEC) ammo are loader hotter and have thicker cases, especially in the neck area. The military 5.56 was developed from the civilian 223 Remington round, and if placed side by side, look almost identical.

Frontsight

wtf jack
04-07-2008, 04:56
From ammo oracle of ar-15.com:

Q. What is the difference between 5.5645mm and .223 Remington ammo?
In the 1950's, the US military adopted the metric system of measurement and uses metric measurements to describe ammo. However, the US commercial ammo market typically used the English "caliber" measurements when describing ammo. "Caliber" is a shorthand way of saying "hundredths (or thousandths) of an inch." For example, a fifty caliber projectile is approximately fifty one-hundredths (.50) of an inch and a 357 caliber projectile is approximately three-hundred and fifty-seven thousandths (.357) of an inch. Dimensionally, 5.56 and .223 ammo are identical, though military 5.56 ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" .223 chambers, be unsafe to fire.

The chambers for .223 and 5.56 weapons are not the same either. Though the AR15 design provides an extremely strong action, high pressure signs on the brass and primers, extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles. Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition.

Military M16s have slightly more headspace and have a longer throat area, compared to the SAAMI .223 chamber spec, which was originally designed for bolt-action rifles. Commercial SAAMI-specification .223 chambers have a much shorter throat or leade and less freebore than the military chamber. Shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more.

The military chamber is often referred to as a "5.56 NATO" chamber, as that is what is usually stamped on military barrels. Some commercial AR manufacturers use the tighter ".223" (i.e., SAAMI-spec and often labeled ".223" or ".223 Remington") chamber, which provides for increased accuracy but, in self-loading rifles, less cycling reliability, especially with hot-loaded military ammo. A few AR manufacturers use an in-between chamber spec, such as the Wylde chamber. Many mis-mark their barrels too, which further complicates things. You can generally tell what sort of chamber you are dealing with by the markings, if any, on the barrel, but always check with the manufacturer to be sure.

Typical Colt Mil-Spec-type markings: C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7

Typical Bushmaster markings: B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR

DPMS marks their barrels ".223", though they actually have 5.56 chambers.

Olympic Arms marks their barrels with "556", with some additionally marked "SS" or "SUM." This marking is used on all barrels, even older barrels that used .223 chambers and current target models that also use .223 chambers. Non-target barrels made since 2001 should have 5.56 chambers.

Armalite typically doesn't mark their barrels. A2 and A4 models had .223 chambers until mid-2001, and have used 5.56 chambers since. The (t) models use .223 match chambers.

Rock River Arms uses the Wylde chamber specs on most rifles, and does not mark their barrels.

Most other AR manufacturers' barrels are unmarked, and chamber dimensions are unknown.

Opinion: In general it is a bad idea to attempt to fire 5.56 rounds (e.g., M193, M855) in .223 chambers, particularly with older rifles.

Fact: SAAMI specifically warns against the use of 5.56mm ammo in .223 chambers. The .223 SAAMI specification was originally made with bolt rifles in mind.

XXXXXXXX

This is why I call my prvi partizan 5.56

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=170861&t=11082005

choi_tan2000
04-07-2008, 23:56
sir jack,

i hope kapitbahay kita , hahahha. para pag ala na ko ammo pwede humiram muna hahahhaa.. kidding sir, i pitty you sir, grabeeehhhhh..

pag nagkastock lang ako ng 100 pieces eh happy na hehehe.

sir saki, musta po.

choi

atmarcella
04-08-2008, 06:22
This is why I call my prvi partizan 5.56

ah ok. so kahit naka tatak sa box 223 it actually is 556?

wtf jack
04-08-2008, 08:07
ah ok. so kahit naka tatak sa box 223 it actually is 556?

LOL! The difference between .223 and 5.56 is important only if your rifle is for .223 only. Check the stamp on the barrel, if it says .223 then assume that you can only use .223 rounds on it. If it says 5.56, then you can use both .223 cal and 5.56 MM on it.

The bottom line is no, 5.56 is NOT the same as .223 if your rifle is for .223 only. It is, for practical purposes, the same if your rifle is a 5.56.