Best 8mm commercial round for pigs/deer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best 8mm commercial round for pigs/deer?

sharpshooter
06-13-2002, 15:13
PMC, Rem, Federal, and Winchester all have 170gr soft point loads in 8mm. That's all they have. Which brand is probably performs the best for wild pigs? For deer?

Does any particular brand perform better than another? Or should I just shoot the brand that's most accurate?

sharpshooter
06-27-2002, 06:34
Thanks for all the responses everybody. After some more research I've read that Winchester and Remington commercial loads are very weak like a 30-30. Suposedly S&B ammo is loaded correctly. Then again, legalities aside, 196g @3000 fps surplus ammo can't fail.

Poodleshooter
06-28-2002, 04:53
I think I answered this on another website. Go with Remington. They're not that weak. Remember that bullet may have 30/30 energy, but it's heavier and has a wider cross section. That's nothing to sneeze at. S&B is ok if you get a good deal on it, but I'd go with Remington at a discount store.

m65swede
06-28-2002, 05:35
Originally posted by sharpshooter
Suposedly S&B ammo is loaded correctly. Then again, legalities aside, 196g @3000 fps surplus ammo can't fail.

I'm with Poodleshooter on this one. Go with the Remington. They are easy to find and the Cor-Lokt bullet seems to be one of those plain Jane bullets that performs very well on game.

I'm also curious where you got the velocity figures you posted; they are well above published velocities for the 8x57mm. S&B factory ammo flies at 2,600 fps with the 196 grain bullet. The velocity you posted is above even the hottest 30-06! Ain't gonna happen. I surely wouldn't shoot anything that hot through any of my 8mm's even if it were available.

Swede

mpol777
06-28-2002, 07:20
i think you'll have more than enough power out of any of them for deer. i've never hunted pigs so i don't know about that. if a .270 does the job than 8mm sure will.