Is it ok to sell a long gun to a guy from FL FTF in SC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to sell a long gun to a guy from FL FTF in SC?

LUNG-G19
03-30-2008, 10:51
I am in SC. The buyer is passing through SC in april. Wanted to pick up my rifle. Do I treat this like any other ftf sale in SC? (resident to resident) Should I request any thing special from the buyer?

thanks in advance.

Lethal Farce
03-31-2008, 11:24
Since no one has answered, I will give my two cents. I am fairly sure you need to do the proper paperwork thru an FFL for any interstate transfer. You can meet him at a local shop and get the FFL transfer done there for about $25.
LF

arj
03-31-2008, 15:09
simple answer--no. It must go thru an FFL dealer. Sure you could do it face to face, but if the ATF found out i'm sure they would not like it and enforce a fine or prison sentence on you.

LUNG-G19
03-31-2008, 16:14
talked to my dealer, he said ftf is fine. get his name and address. it up to him to get it transferred in his state. If his state requires it.

thanks

Blitzer
03-31-2008, 17:06
simple answer--no. It must go thru an FFL dealer. Sure you could do it face to face, but if the ATF found out i'm sure they would not like it and enforce a fine or prison sentence on you.

Reference a web site for us?

Lethal Farce
04-01-2008, 07:37
Just to be safe, I would get a second opinion. I had an employee at one of the Gvl. shops, give me wrong info on this exact subject. Seems to be a lot of confusion on, interstate transfers, shipping, etc.
LF

Tinamil
04-01-2008, 07:50
Florida Statute: http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC28.HTM&Title=-%3E2007-%3ECh0790-%3ESection%2028#0790.28

790.28 Purchase of rifles and shotguns in contiguous states.--A resident of this state may purchase a rifle or shotgun in any state contiguous to this state if he or she conforms to applicable laws and regulations of the United States, of the state where the purchase is made, and of this state.

Lethal Farce
04-01-2008, 08:03
I believe it is a Federal law regarding the interstate transfer.

arj
04-02-2008, 07:29
Reference a web site for us?

I tried to trade for a Cetme from a guy in TN, he told me he was not allowed under TN law to sell/trade out of state face to face. so i asked my FFL dealer and he verified it, saying that you could not transfer a firearm to someone out of state.
Page 16 at the bottom http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/Info%20Systems%20Div/TICS/FFL%20Guidelines_pdf.pdf

Magicmanmb
04-02-2008, 09:08
Has to go through an FFL depending on where you are in the state. Transfer fee is anywhere from $25 to $125.00 + %.

perpster
04-02-2008, 09:49
IIRC, you can buy/sell long guns FTF in your state or a touching (contiguous) state as long at the transfer would be legal in both states. ATF website has a good FAQ page that prolly covers it. (Sorry, no link). But even if legal I'd want to see some sort of proof that the person is legit and not a felon. A current pistol permit and driver's license might be good, and get copies of each to keep, as well as a signed bill of sale. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

Magicmanmb
04-02-2008, 12:18
IIRC, you can buy/sell long guns FTF in your state or a touching (contiguous) state as long at the transfer would be legal in both states. ATF website has a good FAQ page that prolly covers it. (Sorry, no link). But even if legal I'd want to see some sort of proof that the person is legit and not a felon. A current pistol permit and driver's license might be good, and get copies of each to keep, as well as a signed bill of sale. THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

And I got flamed to death about getting a bill of sale for FTF in state purchases, even though no requirement in SC. He can bring it to you FFL and then it's a regular 4473 transfer just saves shipping. Check with your FFL to see if he will do the transfer though. I've been to several gun shows & had dealers refuse to do the transfer because it wasn't purchased from them.