Considering joining the National Guard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Considering joining the National Guard?

sandwichking2
04-01-2008, 18:57
I have been considering joining the National Guard and heading into the aviation division once I finish up my Bachelors here in the next 2 months. I come from a background of aviation and would like to get some hours with the choppers. I have been tossing around the idea of military/law enforcement for some time. But as I said aviation is of great interest. I would love to do my part serving here or away. What do you guy/gals think? Pros/Cons of heading in this direction. Anything I should know before I jump on anything?

Biscuitsjam
04-01-2008, 20:18
I've been enlisted in the Army National Guard for about 4 years now. I can answer a lot of questions, but I'm not very knowledgeable about aviation units.

Your obligation consists of a drill every month which is USUALLY just the weekend, but it will sometimes be longer. And, you'll have annual training each summer for 15-30 days. There's also the possibility for state deployments (usually but not always for natural disasters - in 4 years, I've never been activated for that stuff, but many others have). All that training is mandatory, though you can usually "split out" (train on an alternate day) if you have a really good excuse (concert tickets don't count). Additionally, army schools (ranger, scout leader, combat lifesaver, the captain's course, etc.) are voluntary, but if you can't go to them when offered, you'll slow down your career. A lot of the specifics depend on your unit. I've heard that Army Aviation units have a busier schedule than most, but again, I have no firsthand knowledge.

Most Army National Guard units are currently deploying about 1 year out of each 3, but a few are deploying more frequently than that. You might complete training just after a unit leaves for Iraq and not personally deploy for another 3 years, or you might complete training just in time to go with them. Make sure you're OK with both possibilities. It might help to find out as much as you can about local units to see what they've done.

There are lots of reasons why you could find yourself unable to branch aviation in the Army Guard. Would you be willing to consider other branches? Also, you might want to consider the Army Reserve if the National Guard doesn't have what you want.

Have you talked to a recruiter yet? He can answer specific questions about branches (jobs), training, opportunities, local units, pay, bonuses (which can be very large), medical requirements, and so on. Check what he says before taking the oath, but I'd suggest talking to a recruiter as an early step.

NDGlock
04-01-2008, 20:22
I call dibs for GRAP :) :)

pt945
04-01-2008, 21:09
NDGlock you suck

I would also recomend that you give warrent officer school or ocs. because of your schooling.
also you will have to attend basic training and AIT if you are not prior service. this could be 3 months up to 1 year + depending on what you choose for your mos.(military job)

good luck
chris

NDGlock
04-02-2008, 09:17
Good advice from both above. Seriously, if you know of someone in the Guard such as a relative or friend, have them walk you through the exploration process...and get them some cash through the Guard Recruiting Assistant Program, aka GRAP.

If you don't have such an acquaintance, I'd be happy to coordinate meetings between you, a recruiter and a potential aviation unit rep.

PM me if you want to proceed.

sandwichking2
04-02-2008, 10:28
Good advice from both above. Seriously, if you know of someone in the Guard such as a relative or friend, have them walk you through the exploration process...and get them some cash through the Guard Recruiting Assistant Program, aka GRAP.

If you don't have such an acquaintance, I'd be happy to coordinate meetings between you, a recruiter and a potential aviation unit rep.

PM me if you want to proceed.

thanks for the offer. I am going to talk to our local recruiter this afternoon. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. What branch are you in currently?

NDGlock
04-02-2008, 19:24
PM sent