New woman firearm website [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New woman firearm website

miniglock
04-02-2008, 14:00
I am creating a new website deisgned to promote safe firearm ownership by women in Massachusetts.

What issues are of greatest importance to you, as women (I am a man :)) and what would you like to see in a website geared toward you?

Thank you.

RyansFortyFives
04-02-2008, 14:01
Guns and Hooters Calendar!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

kcb
04-02-2008, 14:08
Guns and Hooters Calendar!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh yeah! That's right on the top of my list, too!

:shame:

:supergrin:

AV1911
04-02-2008, 21:08
Where in MA are you from? Just wondering, as I grew up there :wavey:

miniglock
04-04-2008, 08:06
I actually was looking for serious answers.....

AV1911: Sudbury, Framingham area

Mrs. Tink
04-04-2008, 09:02
I've kind of been thinking about this (seriously) the past few days.

A couple of concerns, especially for single, divorced or widowed women who own firearms, would be safe storage (meaning, storage in a safe), insurance, carry issues, ladies-only classes in the area, or ladies' shooting clubs. I myself don't care much whether I am shooting in an environment with ladies and/or gents, but I found my ladies-only class to be helpful.

Lots of folks overlook insurance for their firearms, assuming that their homeowner's policy will cover theft. Often the insurance will require a rider to cover specific items like jewelry or yes, firearms. I don't think you should advertise a specific company, but make ladies aware that they have to protect their firearms in every way.

Carry issues... women might need help or ideas for how to carry safely. Most of us know you can't just throw your gun into your purse, but for those who don't, and for those who need new ideas, it would be helpful to suggest different configurations.

Also throw in some stuff about the 2A... how many firearms belonging to ladies in DC succumbed to the recent search campaign, and how many more will be confiscated due to the "voluntary" searches that the government there has switched to?

Hope that helps.

P.S. I lived in Sudbury for a summer! It's great!

AV1911
04-05-2008, 22:02

I grew up in Newton Highlands...used to go horseback riding in Sudbury, and had a b/f in Framingham!

Small world...:)

kcb
04-06-2008, 14:09

I know. I'm sorry!

I shouldn't have encouraged the first post!

I'll give serious thought to your purpose!

:thumbsup:

mitchshrader
04-06-2008, 14:33
might emphasise female vets & vets wives a bit. Possible they'd get courtesy discounts somewhere, that's not unthinkable.

I'd agree (low cost) entry level secure storage is big. Gun Lock Box.

Gun Purse & Alternatives, very big. . Decide On The Carry Method You'll Use BEFORE choosing the gun..

I'd strongly avoid aggressive ads for expensive training, the hype gets thick.. training Is a good idea, but they can be pretty shrill.

If I hear another imperitive 'you Must Do It This Way' from a Type A trainer I might just barf. Fairly sure lots of women don't like it either.

Show women winning competitions. Profiles, Bios, etc. . and, SD stories that WORKED.. don't try to scare em with all the crap that happens to the unarmed. it's not to the point, they ain't unarmed.

legal issues, and some PROFESSIONAL advice on ways and means to avoid breaking the law.. and what to do IF you are arrested. . with or without a shooting.

Invest time in meet-ups, do your best to support the personal networking, mutual interest, 'let's be friends' aspect of it. 'Ladies Gun Club' .. And that leaves room for a lot of 'Gurl Stuff' around the edges.

Reloading. Money matters. Ammo costs matter. Helpful tips on where it's cheap don't cost anything, and if anyone is a reloader there ya go, a whole forum.

It's *not* all about SD. To integrate firearms into one's life is a deliberate choice and it's hard to be competent without having some 'hobby' interest, just for the practice. So illuminate TOTAL COSTS, allow budgeting from a fair perspective, get the gulping about the sticker shock over with and plan realisticly.

*Shoot*. You can't think your way into competence. Emphasize *regular* *moderate* practice. It ain't talent, it's discipline and making dents in primers. fwiw I say the first case of ammo don't count. ymmv.

And, no matter how good any advice may be, or not, if you want women to pay attention to it, get them telling it to each other. Personal experience is good too. ;)

WIG19
04-11-2008, 12:10
:goodpost: All of it.

A trainer I know on other side of state offers discounts for vets (gender doesn't matter, just bring your DD-214) and a 25% discount under his "Bring your Backup" program. And that backup person is your call, so doesn't matter if husband/wife/s-o whatever. That's pretty well received so something to encourage other trainers to do same.

Mitch's comment re women talking to women is priceless, because I think that's what will give them good direction in seeking out training and validating it. List is long with instructors that can't appreciate the nuances in the way women process information (or perhaps make a guess & then overcompensate). In the end it's what works; differentiate between gun games and SD. A regimented martial art like IDPA (Mr. Miyagi say gun must be so, holster must be so) has little bearing on most encountered SD situations. But competition has its place & value overall so offering the whole range of info is going to be important.

And approach the target audience with respect. Believe me, I know men who know how to cower behind a sofa too. ;)

Great idea & good luck!
:patriot: