Ammunition Encoding Legislation Introduced in Alabama! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition Encoding Legislation Introduced in Alabama!

Fear Night
04-05-2008, 14:08
It is critical that we all contact our local legislators immediately ...

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=3752
Last week, Senate Bill 541 was introduced by State Senator Rodger Smitherman (D-18). SB541 would require all handgun ammunition manufactured or sold in Alabama to be encoded with a serial number, and entered into a statewide database at the time of sale. Encoded ammunition would be registered to the purchaser and would include the date of transaction, the purchaser’s name, date of birth, driver’s license number, and the serial number of the ammunition. All unserialized ammunition would have to be forfeited. Not only would this measure cause enormous increases in the cost of ammunition, but it could lead to the establishment of a database of ammunition purchaser and ultimately the cessation of the sale of ammunition in Alabama.

Even if the industry can or will produce this ammunition exclusively for Alabama, the consumers will be required to register ammunition purchases and then blindly trust that the number etched on the "base of the bullet projectile" is accurately represented on the box in which it is sold. Since the "base of the bullet projectile" is necessarily obscured by the cartridge case, it is impossible for the consumer to know if he or she has accurately "registered" their purchase.

SB541 poses a serious threat to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms and needs to be stopped immediately.
Here is my email:
I would like to share with you my strong opposition to SB541, which would require all new ammunition to be encoded with a serial number. This would eventually cause ammunition manufacturers to cease sales within the state of Alabama. It would cause a direct violation of both our Second Amendment rights and the right to bear arms in the constitution of Alabama. Anti-gunners have realized that they can't strip us of our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms so they seek to ban ammunition. The right to keep and bear arms implies that ammunition must also be available or it does no good. Please show your opposition to this bill and spread that word that the residents of Alabama do not vote anti-gun. Thank you for your support.

mitchshrader
04-05-2008, 14:16
who is paying these brainworms to say stupid stuff? they don't do it for free.. somebody track this idiots money for a bit..

Glockdude1
04-05-2008, 14:23
This strange bill is popping up in different states. It is an idea that looks great on paper. To actually set it up, would cost millions. It would take millions more to keep it going. Not going to happen anywhere. Yes, I know Kalifornia passed the law, but it won't become a reality. Kali cannot even run the budget they have now.

Fear Night
04-05-2008, 14:45
This strange bill is popping up in different states. It is an idea that looks great on paper. To actually set it up, would cost millions. It would take millions more to keep it going. Not going to happen anywhere. Yes, I know Kalifornia passed the law, but it won't become a reality. Kali cannot even run the budget they have now.
Yeah, even if it made it to Riley's desk he would simply ball it up and play some office basketball. Still, I don't want to take any chances.

mitchshrader
04-05-2008, 14:49
i ain't claiming evidence, nor even a real serious suspicion.. but if i ONCE heard CAIR or any Muslim backed group was pushing gun control..

just once..

i'd be buying tinfoil within the hour and i GOT some already.

bamarammin87
04-22-2008, 16:29
email sent.

elrod
04-22-2008, 17:38
Yeah, even if it made it to Riley's desk he would simply ball it up and play some office basketball. Still, I don't want to take any chances.

You got a helluva more faith in "billion dollar" Bob than I do!

GRR
04-24-2008, 06:02
emails sent to both Senator and Representative.

Silent_Runner
04-24-2008, 14:31

Alabama does have one of the better Governers. Can he be cloned and shared with other states? Please???

bamarammin87
04-27-2008, 21:10
email sent and letter recieved from bob riley. "As a public servant and lifelong hunter, I fully support our Second Amendment rights, and you can rest assured that I will oppose any legislation that conflicts with these rights." -direct quote from my letter. I'm not too worried bout that bill.