Who else hunts whitetail with a handgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who else hunts whitetail with a handgun?

micah
06-16-2002, 01:19
Who else hunts whitetail with a handgun? I've had good luck with a Dan Wesson in .357 Maximum, a T/C, mostly with the 7-30 Waters barrel, and a 4" S&W Model 19, just once because I wanted to be able to say I did. What do you guys and gals use?
The DW and the T/C both did their jobs very well.

10mmGuy
06-16-2002, 03:18
I've used both my Glock 29 and 20's to take deer. They seem to get the job done quite nicely.

glocksmith02
06-16-2002, 03:31
I had an investigator (during hunting season) go out into the sticks to interview someone. He had a nice buck show himself way too close to pass it off and he shot the deer in the neck with his duty 9MM. One shot instant drop. He had to call me on the phone to get the rest of the day off to take care of his kill. That was before our Glock days though, it was an S&W kill....

06-16-2002, 06:43
I've taken my last 2 deer with my T/C Encore using a 10" .44 Magnum barrel and a Leupold Gilmore Red Dot sight.

allhowl
06-16-2002, 10:00
I hunt with my .44 mag. Ruger blackhawk with a ported barrel. I have hunted with it scoped & unscoped. This year I may leave it at home & take my G30.

06-16-2002, 10:07
I might with my Deagle .44 this year, have to find a good scope first tho

TheSniper
06-16-2002, 14:09
I'm taking my SRH .454 for deer and elk this year. MULE deer though.;f ;c

Steve in PA
06-16-2002, 16:44
Scoped Ruger Super Redhawk .44magmun, shooting either 240 or 300 grain HP-XTP's over H-110 out of Remington cases. Taken several whitetail deer with it, looking to get me a black bear soon!!

IPSC-1
06-17-2002, 09:54
Colt Anaconda 6" bbl w/ an Aimpoint 5000 on top.
300 gr cast solids from a tree stand knocks em' down
and they don't get up. Shot placement is paramount.
I love making a clean shot almost as much as I love
the smell of venison and eggs in the morning.

Rigormootis
06-17-2002, 15:13
I've taken 5 year in as many years with a 6-inch 686. I am in the process of getting a 610...but I may use me G-20 this year. I am basically converting all my handguns to 10mm.

06-17-2002, 17:33
Tell me all about pistol scopes someone?
so many types, choices, why a red dot, why not, what else?

Rigormootis
06-17-2002, 17:43
Originally posted by Coyote 10MM

My eyes are still sharp and I hunt at distances seldom more than 35-50 yards...so I prefer ironsights. I'd run a search on the hunting forum or maybe even the wheelhouse or 10-ring....there are many posts on this topic there....

DJ Niner
06-17-2002, 18:18
Ruger Redhawk, .44 mag; some years with 2x scope, some years with Ruger factory-optional bright red plastic front sight. Aiming system depends on the terrain I'll be hunting; open area = scope, woods/river bottoms = iron sights.

For whitetails, 180 JHP works fine, kills like a grenade in the chest cavity. For bigger critters, 300-320 hardcast lead at about 1200 FPS. The heavyweight load is effective, but not a lot of fun; it leaves a Pachmyer rubber streak on my palm after 3 rounds...

Oh yeah, switching loads DOES require a sight adjustment (about 12" vertical at 50 yards!).

IPSC-1
06-18-2002, 00:15

I use a red dot to hunt whitetails for the following reasons:

1. Unlimited eye relief.
2. Unlimited FOV.
3. I prefer no magnification.
4. I hunt from a tree stand so shots are under 75 yds.
5. They are just plain fast for target aquisition.
6. The Aimpoint 5000 I use on my Colt Anaconda just plain looks cool.

Michigun
06-18-2002, 00:40
Handguns I've taken afield as a "primary" hunting weapon...

*Ruger Super Red Hawk in .44 mag (7-1/2" barrel)
*Ruger Super Black Hawk in .44 mag (10-1/2" barrel)

My next hunting handgun will be a "set-up" G20 however!

Red-Dots are the only way to go in my book.

micah
06-18-2002, 04:18
I've never liked scopes on handguns. Come to think of it, I don't really like them on rifles either.

Michigun
06-18-2002, 04:28
Originally posted by micah
Come to think of it, I don't really like them on rifles either.

;v

I can't believe you just said that...:)

badbilly429
06-18-2002, 04:59
i will be hunting white tail with 3 guns this year, my 30.06 primarly, but i will have the glock 27 with the .357 sig barrel in it, and the .44 revolver on my chest.

IPSC-1
06-18-2002, 05:16
Originally posted by badbilly429
i will be hunting white tail with 3 guns this year, my 30.06 primarly, but i will have the glock 27 with the .357 sig barrel in it, and the .44 revolver on my chest.

Damn, thats alot of firepower for deerhunting. I take it you will have help dragging? Thats alot of weight to carry around in the woods.

Michigun
06-18-2002, 05:37
If he took his deer in bow season like the rest of us REAL hunters, he wouldn't have to carry all that stuff into the woods...;)

Reminds me why I like bow season so much!:)

P.S. IPSC-1, Michigan has a 3 gun max rule, it looks like are friend bill has taken that as a 3 gun minimum rule...;Q:)

Michigun
06-18-2002, 05:40
badbilly429, I keep forgetting you are "city folk"... When you travel into the woods this fall, don't forget the "3 shot rule", okay?

G36's Rule
06-18-2002, 12:12
I've taken Whitetail with a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt, and a G36. Furthest shot was with the Blackhawk at 60 yards. The shot with the Glock was a little over 20 yards.

Jack T.
06-19-2002, 04:07
Another vote for the Contender. . .

micah
06-19-2002, 10:22
What the hell state lets you use a G36 for deer hunting? Time to rewrite the laws in that state, methinks.

G36's Rule
06-19-2002, 10:27
Originally posted by micah
What the hell state lets you use a G36 for deer hunting? Time to rewrite the laws in that state, methinks.

Texas does. And why would you "rewrite" the laws?

TheSniper
06-19-2002, 11:03

I like my Burris posi-lock 2x for my .454. Ive heard so many people saying its one of the top scopes for handguns. Though I dont doubt Leupolds rep I like the fact that the recticle is locked down to prevent miss-alignment. I can remove my scope from my SRH .454 and re-attatch it and It doesn't loose zero by enough to re-zero it. Plus its cheaper than a Leupold.;f ;c

rfb45colt
06-23-2002, 06:37
I started hunting deer with a handgun in '96. Got 8 so far. I used a Dan Wesson .44mag, (10" barrel, B-Square mount, and Bushnell Trophy 2-6x32 scope) to take the first 3. Here in WI, a handgun had to be either a .357, .41, or .44 magnum... or any other caliber that had commercially manufactured ammo with a muzzle energy of 1,000 ft lbs minimum. (Rules were changed in 2001). That ruled out my Blackhawk in .45 Colt... until the '98 season, thanks to Corbon, which began selling .45 Colt Magnum +P hunting loads with a muzzle energy of 1,186 ft lbs. The fact that legal commercially manufactured ammo was available, made .45 Colt legal here, so I began hunting with my 7 1/2" Blackhawk. The next 5 deer were taken with it, mostly from a treestand, at ranges of 40 yards for the farthest... and 11' (shot straight down from a tree stand!) the closest. I use Cast Performance 300 gr flatnose hard casts, Star-Line brass, CCI 350 mag primers, and 23 grains of W296. A Hogue rubber over-sized grip is necessary with these loads. :) They drop like they've been hit by lightning. Not one of the five has known what hit them. I shot a small buck two seasons ago, at about 23yds, and the bullet penetrated him lengthwise.

BTW, don't use a Tasco Optima 2000 for hunting.
It has automatic brightness control, and at the opening of legal shooting (30 minutes before sunrise) it won't turn on due to lack of ambient light. I found this out the hard way! Also, I had tried a Simmons red-dot, and it fell apart after only 30 rounds of practice. I switched to a 2x BSA pistol scope... after my failed red-dot experiments... and it's worked just fine. I can't use the iron sights... although I'd prefer to... because with the elevation adjustment maxed out, it still hits about 6" high at 25yds with the heavier 300 gr bullets. I don't like using "Kentucky elevation" for hunting deer.

My favorite deer hunting weapon (other than my Matthews solo-cam):

Lobo
06-25-2002, 06:33
I have been using a S&W 29 w/ 8.5" barrel and Tasco scope along with a 629 w/ open sights. Just got a Vaquero in .45 Colt and I think I will try it some this year.

rfb45colt
06-26-2002, 15:23
Originally posted by Lobo
Just got a Vaquero in .45 Colt and I think I will try it some this year.

If you don't reload, try some Corbon loads for that .45 Vaquero. Or Buffalo Bore 300s... or there's a new hunting load in .45 Colt by PMC (see the Aug 2002 issue of Handguns magazine for more info on the .45 Colt hunting load by PMC). With the right load, the .45 Colt outperforms the .44MAG. I've got both a .44 & .45, and it's true... the .45 DOES knock down the deer quicker and better. I was a big fan of the .44 once, and I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself.

USMCsilver
06-27-2002, 11:19
I don't actually hunt them with a handgun, but I do have my G23 on my side for when the day comes that I cannot make the kill with my rifle. Seems like before I carried the pistol, I had dear in odd spots all the time. Now that I could kill 'em in an odd spot, they are either way off or just don't bother to show up at all.

Lobo
06-28-2002, 02:54
RFB45COLT,
I do reload for .45colt but they are just plinking loads. Could you recommend a couple of good recipies for hunting. Our deer are small(150-180pds) compared to other places in the U.S. I was thinking of a 250-255gr bullet but I don't know how strong the Vaqueros are. Thanks in advance!

BWR55
06-28-2002, 12:33
Occasionally I carry my T/C Contender with 14" .44 mag. bull barrel while hunting but haven't had the pleasure of actually harvesting a deer with it. I usually only carry it in the afternoon while stalking so I don't have to carry a heavier rifle. This year while carrying either the rifle or the Contender, I'll be carrying my G36 as a backup sidearm.

Combat Tupperware
07-02-2002, 21:55
Gun season is now a 5" Ruger Super Blackhawk with Winchester Supreme ammo and iron sites. Rifle and scope are just not it anymore. I bought a fix sited black powder to try this year also.

IPSC-1
07-03-2002, 05:38
My current whitetail handgun:
I use 240/300 gr cast solids, I've yet to have need for a second shot or to track. (BTW, I shoot it DA)
http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Anacondacan.JPG

DJ Niner
07-04-2002, 01:37
I agree; once you master DA shooting, you'll rarely thumb-cock a hammer again...

G36's Rule
07-04-2002, 05:42
Why would anyone shoot at game using the DA pull on a revolver? I've been shooting revolvers for years, and am pretty good shooting DA with them, but I would never think of using DA to make a precision shot at a game animal.

Curiousity has got me now. What possible advantage can there be to doing this?

mikescooling
07-04-2002, 08:43
I have had good luck with my old .357 mag Python. It was a cops gun in the 60's and has a 4' barrel. In WI where I hunt there is lots of brush and when 3 and 4 hundred yard shots are possible with a rifle. If you know your deer and don't jump the gun most pistol shots are 10 to 20 yards.
Just the other day I was pulling trees out of the woods with buddies. We use a tractor truck to drag the dead trees out. One guy cuts free the trees to be dragged, One guy drives the truck, one guy cuts the wood in 16 pieces, one guy splits [Hydraulic splitter] and the last two stack wood and fetch what ever we need.
In no way am I being quiet or sent free but somehow a bunch of does came running down the creek below. Keep in mind I had a 066 stihl chain saw with a 3 ft bar running/cuting in a tree, witch I had to shut off and pull out. Then grab my G17 and I Hit a little doe right in the chest with a federal 124 g +p+ Hydra-shok. Keep in mind I had the g17 just because It's light. I was not hunting deer. Also just to keep the heat down! In WI the DNR has opened the season because of CWD. Anything larger than a . 22 is legal.
Ps the one 9 mm tap caused death in two steps
Not bad not bad at all
I have no problems carrying this round for self defense.;j

allhowl
07-04-2002, 12:08
Also whee did you hit her? How big was she? When you have that kind of experiance it gives you confidence in your pistol & load.;)

mikescooling
07-04-2002, 13:12
;x ;y
4th July

I hit her as she passed unde me, so she was running down the creek straight away at about 25-30 yards. So I was shooting down and aiming at the neck, But I hit the chest right about where the brisket starts. The slug passed down ward and exited a nice size hole in her chest. The guts were sup.
This deer wade in at the butchers [gutted] 115lb.
The only bad feeling of this other wise great gift from the deer gods is knowing that the season this year will be my last for a wile because of CWD, Did you guys see that post I did on CWD FYI.

DJ Niner
07-05-2002, 03:59
G36's Rule,
I shoot better under almost all conditions using DA. Once you learn how to do it well, you find the following advantages:

- Less noise. SA thumb-cocking makes louder (and usually more) clicking noises than squeezing through a DA trigger pull. Less noise, less chance of spooking critters.

- Less motion. If the critter, through bad hunting or bad luck, happens to be staring right at you as you set-up the shot, breaking your two-handed grip to thumb-cock a handgun requires much more motion than a simple squeeze of the trigger. Less motion, less chance of spooking the critter.

- More consistent grip. I find (for me, at least) that I have a much more consistent grip on the gun (hand position AND pressure) when shooting DA. I have also seen this demonstrated by friends and hunting partners; when they sight-in at the range, their grip is relaxed. When the shoot at game, they clamp down with more pressure and the point of impact changes. I have to use the same pressure (fairly tight) to control/stabilize the gun against the heavier DA pull, so I find I shoot more accurately and closer to my original "range zero".

- Quicker and more accurate followup shots. My hand is already in position for the next DA shot; no need to break shooting or support hand position to recock the gun for subsequent shots.

It's not a choice between accuracy and the above advantages for me; I simply do not shoot significantly better SA under field conditions. As long as I know and apply my maximum effective range with the selected gun/ammo/sight combination, SA or DA makes little difference.

To make DA shooting work, you MUST have a gun with a smooth, grit-free DA trigger pull. If it feels like you're dragging a bag of bricks up a flight of stairs with your trigger finger when you squeeze, you'll almost certainly have accuracy problems. My Redhawk was smoothed by many thousand live- and dry-fire shots over 15+ years of shooting; a gunsmith can do the same for a lot less than the ammo would cost for the other method. But you still have to pay your dues at the range with some "quality DA time" with hunting ammo to get good results. :)

G36's Rule
07-05-2002, 08:31
Like I said, I've been shooting revolvers for years. I can regularly shoot 6 shots into a 6" group at 15' in less than 1.1 seconds using 38spl+P loads out of a GP100. I can go under 1 second using my 586 that I have polished the trigger on.

But I would never dream of shooting at a deer using DA unless it were a follow up shot. And I don't have to change my hand position to transition from SA to DA.

Please don't take this as criticism, because it is not. I've just never done it. It's just that SA is much more accurate, for me, for precision shots. I've taken deer out to 60 yards with revolvers.

To each his own. I get laughed at and hacked at for shooting a deer with a G36, so I don't have much room to run my mouth, or keyboard.

Have fun. I love hunting with handguns.

DJ Niner
07-06-2002, 03:57
No offense taken. I'm not saying I'm special, by the way. If you ever attend a PPC match, you'll see lots of folks who can shoot a palm-sized (or smaller) group at 50 yards, DA. The fundamentals are the same, whether it's a target revolver or a hunting gun, although the latter jumps up and makes a bit more noise in most cases. ;f

You probably couldn't shoot your GP-100 as well as you described the first time you picked it up; or even after the first 20 times you shot it. DA shooting is the same way; you gotta practice to get good at it, and an instructor experienced in DA shooting can shorten the learning curve considerably. However, good DA guys are more and more rare (as are good smooth-out-of-the-box DA revolvers).

I hope it doesn't end up as a dying shooting form; I've taught a few folks who showed interest, and at least two of them are now better than I was at my peak. Jerry Miculek (spell ?) can probably keep it alive all my himself, if he can find enough students. If DA shooting is an art, he's a master of that art. Catch one of his videos if you ever get a chance; you'll never doubt that DA can be done quickly AND accurately ever again!

rfb45colt
07-06-2002, 23:44
Originally posted by Lobo
RFB45COLT,
I do reload for .45colt but they are just plinking loads. Could you recommend a couple of good recipies for hunting. Our deer are small(150-180pds) compared to other places in the U.S. I was thinking of a 250-255gr bullet but I don't know how strong the Vaqueros are. Thanks in advance!

The Vaquero is plenty strong enough... just like the Blackhawk. If you want some good loads in the
250-260 gr range, try Hornady 250gr XTPs with H4227. Start with 19 grains... do NOT exceed 21.4. And use either a Winchester large pistol primer or a CCI 350 magnum pistol primer. (Do NOT switch primers after starting the "working up" process!) You should get between 1,300 & 1,350 fps, depending on barrel length.

Or better yet... use Cast Performance 265gr hard cast, available from Cabelas Shooting catalog, or online here http://www.castperformance.com/index.php. Load info will come with the bullets (I've never loaded the 265s, just the 300s and 325s.) These are great hunting bullets!! But be careful of shot placement, because they will likely blow clean through a deer from any angle, and you'll ruin some meat... I did. I've killed 5 deer with their 300-325s, and have yet to recover a single bullet.

tanto trader
07-07-2002, 04:17
G36's Rule,What load did you have in G36 that took the deer. Chris

G36's Rule
07-07-2002, 08:07
Originally posted by tanto trader
G36's Rule,What load did you have in G36 that took the deer. Chris

Winchester 230gr. SXT. Distance was a little over 20 yards. Bullet penetrated chest cavity. The bullet was found in ground behind the deer.

Before anyone starts calling me a liar, the shot was at a downward angle, and the ground was marked with a nice long slash where the bullet struck, so it was entirely possible to find it. I'm saying this because I've already been questioned about it once on GT.

I'll attach a picture of the bullet.

G36's Rule
07-07-2002, 08:08
OK, lets try that again.

rfb45colt
07-07-2002, 11:03
I have no doubts that a deer can be killed quite easily at close range by a .45acp. If anybody has any doubts, just try this little experiment. Fill a one gallon milk jug with water, and shoot it with a good quality 230 gr .45 acp hollow point at close range. What happens to the jug is what happens to the deer's anatomy... if the shot is in the right place. The G36 isn't legal in my state for deer hunting... not because of caliber, but because the minimum barrel length is 5 1/2". This rules out the majority of semi-autos, regardless of caliber. Barrel length, for determining the legality of a hunting handgun here, is measured as the distance from the firing pin to the muzzle, with the action closed. On a 3" - 4" barreled revolver, cylinder length is included, making them legal. Not so with semi-autos. These need a "true" 5 1/2" barrel. :(

tanto trader
07-07-2002, 11:26
G36 thanks for the info in my state the regulastion is any centerfire is ok handgun or rifle.Chris

IPSC-1
07-07-2002, 21:58
REF: DA shooting while hunting....
When shooting 300 Gr cast solids I have a tendancy
to flinch (no, I don't wear lace on my panties!)
and the DA pull gives me the "suprise" break that
I need to shoot accuratly with heavy recoiling loads.
Simple no?

T1
07-08-2002, 00:26
I've taken 4 whitetail with handguns. Three with a Clements Custom Ruger Bisley in 44 Magnum and 1 with a Smith and Wesson 29-2 with a 4" bbl. The Bisley is a 5.5" gun. In the Ruger I use the Cast Performance 320 gr solid with gas check and in the Smith I use the Keith loading of a 250 gr. Keith with 22 grains of 2400. One shot kills on all four although two ran a short distance.

I have a new FA 83 in 454 that I will be using this year for deer in preparation of hunting Elk and black bear in Montana in '03.

T1

rfb45colt
07-15-2002, 21:39
mikescooling,

A G-17 IS NOT LEGAL for shooting a deer in Wisconsin. (Unless you are in the special CWD zone and if they have altered the rulebook for this "special" area and season!) Read the rules booklet... while all centerfire calibers above .22 are now legal, you MUST HAVE a 5 1/2" minimum barreled handgun, measured from the firing pin to the muzzle. As a hunter safety instructer, I'm very familiar with the rules... but there may be a change for the CWD zone that I haven't been notified of. I'm not picking on ya or anything... I just don't want you to get in any trouble with the DNR, cuz if they haven't altered the rules and you're caught, you could lose your hunting priveleges for three years.

mikescooling
07-15-2002, 23:25
I went to glockmister and got the 6" bbl for the Glock 17L.
I all ways appreciate when someone try's to keep me out of trouble.
Trouble doesn't look for me it knows rite where I am.
I do try to be as legal as possible.
This one was just dum luck.
Did you see the thread I started about CWD?
Mike