SC, must inform if carrying concealed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SC, must inform if carrying concealed?

capnjim01
04-06-2008, 09:45
I'm in NC and we have to inform LEO if we are carrying. I will be working some in SC and if stopped by LEO do I have to inform him that I have a CCP and I am armed?

NC Bullseye
04-06-2008, 12:18
SC law is the same as NC for the must notify. If stopped or addressed by a LEO you must notify if carrying. It's best to be in the habit of informing the LEO, better to error on the safe side.

VB14
04-09-2008, 10:17
The exact law says :

"When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driverís license from a permit holder."

Should (1) and (2) be true before you have to inform the LEO? Or is it (1) or (2) ?

You might be better off doing what was said by NC Bullseye.

dosei
04-09-2008, 13:23
The exact law says :

"When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driverís license from a permit holder."

Should (1) and (2) be true before you have to inform the LEO? Or is it (1) or (2) ?

You might be better off doing what was said by NC Bullseye.

1 AND 2...

Otherwise you would be bound by law to tell every uniformed officer you ever see. Bear in mind, that the police uniform is a means for the wearer to "identify" themselves to everyone. So by simply seeing a police officer in uniform, the officer has "identified" themselves.

NC Bullseye
04-09-2008, 23:27
NC law uses the term "Approach and address" so a little common sense comes into play, if a LEO smiles and nods your way while walking down the sidewalk, just do the same. Now if the LEO says, "excuse me, do you have a second?" then best be ready to give your practiced response if you are currently carrying. (not the "You want some of this?????" response):wow:

I have seen a new CHP'er chase a deputy across the mall just to "notify him of his CHP" after the deputy quit laughing, he explained the finer points of the requirement to notify.

Just don't let the conversation proceed to the "do you have any weapons on you?" before you notify and things will most likely be fine and dandy.

hpj3
04-23-2008, 23:05
If a LEO asks for ID or DL, and you are packing, you must provide your CWP. If it is a simple conversation, with no request for ID, then you're not required to. Whether or not you choose to would depend on the specific circumstances...

Howard

Fingolfin
04-28-2008, 22:47
If a LEO asks for ID or DL, and you are packing, you must provide your CWP. If it is a simple conversation, with no request for ID, then you're not required to. Whether or not you choose to would depend on the specific circumstances...

Howard

This is how I was instructed as well.