OT : What was your very first car? :-) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT : What was your very first car? :-)

horge
04-06-2008, 18:33
Just wondering what your first set of wheels was...
How long you kept it, and what (if anything) you then got to replace it.

Mine was a used, white '82(?) Ford Laser

http://i29.tinypic.com/9kqxom.jpg
Generic image only.
My beloved Laser was much more ...rustic.

That Laser had no A/C. No audio.
Manual steering, window cranks, everything.
I carried around a wooden mop handle to prop up the
rear door when accessing the 'trunk'.
Body was practically rustflakes held together by paint.

Steering wheel was very light though, as was the car itself.
The car could accelerate and maneuver like a bat out of hell,
and I do miss it badly.

Had it for 4+ years, until parts started falling off while I drove (fender, etc)
then I started driving a Nissan Sentra 1.6 sedan that was much more
comfy, but to me had no soul. It was a thirsty little beast too.

h.

TPK
04-06-2008, 18:46
Late 60's Ford Econoline van (don't recall the year ...) , three on the tree shift. Killed it in within the first year and don't recall what I got next .. it was a string of junkers for several years. Lot's of memories.

jtull7
04-06-2008, 19:31
Mine was a 1948 Willys Jeep. I was born in 1949. It was so cool, the chicks loved it. The brakes only worked about half the time.

Glock_19_9x19
04-06-2008, 19:55
A blue 2-door Volkswagen Brasilia. No aircon, no radio. pawis-steering(big steering wheel)..very basic. Pero sobrang tipid sa gas and very easy to maintain.. Neighbors complained coz it sounded like a hovering huey, they can hear the engine a block away hehe
Sayang. I had it for 3 years but never took a picture
Sold it for P20k in 1999..Come to think of it, My glock costs more than the brasilia..

batangueno
04-06-2008, 20:13
A 1979 Toyota Corona in blue then later re-painted to maroon. I don't know if it was me but the car was a magnet to accidents. :supergrin: I then replaced it with a Corona Silver Edition, now that's the car i miss. It had an 18RGU engine, complete sound system, nice paint job, big wheels....haaaay. :)

isuzu
04-06-2008, 20:26
My first vehicle was a hand-me-down Isuzu KB crew cab which was extensively used in our sugar and prawn farms. It was driven by different drivers, and it was in a bad shape when I got hold of it in 1990.

Had the engine, brakes and suspension overhauled as well as the body repaired. It had over 200,000 kms when I received it. I learned how to change the oil every 5,000 kms and set the intake/exhaust valves every 40,000 kms. It was returned to farm use in 1995 when I got my Isuzu TFS pick up. It was the first 4x4 Isuzu pick up brought from Japan by Isuzu Philippines when the company re-launched their 4x4 line of trucks.

Used it until 2004 when I sold it just before I left the Philippines. It had 125,000 kms when I sold it. It was equipped with a 2.5 liter normally-aspirated diesel engine and had a consistent fuel consumption of 10.5 kms/liter city and 16 kms highway.

9MX
04-06-2008, 20:32
1977 Mitsubishi Galant Station Wagon - Hand me down from my dad. I got it with complete with the old daddy look so i pimped it up a bit back then.

isuzu
04-06-2008, 20:35
A blue 2-door Volkswagen Brasilia. No aircon, no radio. pawis-steering(big steering wheel)..very basic. Pero sobrang tipid sa gas and very easy to maintain.. Neighbors complained coz it sounded like a hovering huey, they can hear the engine a block away hehe
Sayang. I had it for 3 years but never took a picture
Sold it for P20k in 1999..Come to think of it, My glock costs more than the brasilia..

You probably installed a stinger exhaust in your Brasilia. :supergrin:

We also had a 2-door Brasilia that my dad bought in 1976. It was fun to drive.

ess45
04-06-2008, 21:32
My first car was a 12 year old VW Bettle, used it for another 10 years.

Javelin
04-06-2008, 21:39
75' chevy 1/2 ton!

:)

royal glockster
04-07-2008, 00:34
Same car as yours sir Horge..only that mine was a sedan type. How could i forget my first car..hehe, that was the car which kept me touring around the metropolis and nearby provinces. So many experiences with that car...like sudden stops at the middle of edsa..hehe. At 1.5 engine displacement, my 1982 ford laser was so fast in sprint..but it had lots of electrical problems then. Pinadala ko sa province at binenta ng chop-chop. I used it for 2 years, that was 13 years ago.

Now, i'm using 1993 toyota corolla gli, still used but gave me no hassles at all..

darwin25
04-07-2008, 01:34
Light blue 1968 Volkswagen Beetle. Still with me. But I mostly drive a Daihatsu Charade or Honda City now.

kirgi08
04-07-2008, 03:31
My first car was a 1973 4dr Mercury Grand Marquis.It had a 429ci/4bbl carb.Mom wanted a 15yo newbie ta have alot of steel around me.'08.:)

kcboy
04-07-2008, 04:50
a 1995 pajero. just sold her this year. he will be missed.:crying:

3kings
04-07-2008, 06:16
a hand me down 1976 toyota corona. i remember one time when i was in a date its raining so hard that the water is dripping inside the car. didnt loose my composure but when one of the wipers flew out all hell broke loose.

because of that experience i was traumatize. good thing my dad replaced it with a 2nd hand 1976 2-door galant, saturn engine. wet look red, expanded wheels, momo steering, pawis steering pa nun. then i was back in the limelight. hehehe.

gen1
04-07-2008, 06:25
the first car I bought with my own money is a 1992 honda civic hatchback,

still have it in my garage, waiting for the day I can give her a new du pont DIY paint job.

I'll be converting her into a chick mobile :lol:

Delta-x
04-07-2008, 06:45
My first car was a 1947 Studebaker Starlite Coupe. It was a real chick

magnet. :smootchie:

Ah, the memories....

nrmcolt
04-07-2008, 07:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/nrmcolt/sr2fe7.jpg
Also a generic image.

mikey177
04-07-2008, 08:06
Here's a faded photograph of my first car, a VW Bug, parked at my favorite place in UP Diliman when I was studying there last century:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/mikey177/vehicles/first_bug_resized.jpg

horge
04-07-2008, 08:10
The library???
Nerd.

binoy
04-07-2008, 08:30
81 maroon Mitsubishi lancer box type:cool:

bmag
04-07-2008, 08:59
1976 and two years with the smooth riding, excellent suspension '67 200D in maroon. This conventional stick shift, double barrel guzzler picks up nicely (runs 6-7 km/liter super gasoline). Later on, nobody would repair the rear door bolts of this baby my grandma lent me.
On my first date I had to tie the two rear passenger doors thru the interior handgrabs so they do not sway open when making a turn. After a while the doors failed on the hinges and we parted ways. :embarassed:
The girl stayed much longer though...

Allegra
04-07-2008, 09:08
reconditioned 750 yamaha from norkis nung 2nd year college
Very cool looking bike except...
it was huge and had a high center of gravity hirap maniobra sa traffuc
constantly kept dripping gas
hard starting sa umaga

1st 4 wheel vehicle is an army jeep w/ a 3k engine
Naka top down , windshield folded ( dito sa probinsya )
Feeling ralph lauren commercial model . at least thats what I tell myself
Fave memory of it, naputol accelarator cable inside campus
My then gf had to pull and hold the vice grip w/ her head on my lap while I drove home
I've had a lot better cars since then , pero ayaw na nya sumakay hanggang ngayon

Allegra
04-07-2008, 09:25
Speaking of first cars , I drove my nephew to school weeks back ( here in the province din )
Daym , one highschool kid came in a new MB SLK , drool :)
Then 2 girls naka PE uniforms came in a new chevy optra (?) , akala ko nga stroller bag pa yung ilalabas ng bag hehe mukang frshman or maybe not
Funny thing is , they all acted natural
alam mong they didnt bring dad or mom's car to school para lang mag yabang
The cars are really their own

gen1
04-07-2008, 16:54
The library???
Nerd.

baka maglu-lunch lang sa beach house.

dinggaling
04-07-2008, 17:34
mine was a '76 lancer EL, colored white provided by my office. 'twas a "veteran" of numerous unfortunate accidents brought about by "happy teen experiences." :cool:

RockinG29
04-07-2008, 17:58
1978 chevy malibu classic 350 w/ 4 bbl quadrapuke had it for 2 years and blew the motor drag racing

New_comer
04-07-2008, 18:06
Mine was a '90 maroon owner-type jeep with a 4k engine, had it in '92, let go in '04. Super tipid and super fast. At first open sidings lang, but I put tarpauline sidings velcroed at the edges to contain the cool air from the ACU I had installed.

At first, neighbors and co-workers were laughing at me for driving a jeep with a "closed cabin", thought I was stupid or something, until they learned I had airconditioning. After that, I helped a couple of them set-up their own 'stupid' jeep ;)

edtf
04-07-2008, 19:18
something like a 15year old beetle. BOY, lots of memories with that!! Hmmm.... if I had the cash then I would want to get those new beetles. I'm pretty nostalgic :)

edtf
04-07-2008, 19:20
Mine was a '90 maroon owner-type jeep with a 4k engine, had it in '92, let go in '04. Super tipid and super fast. At first open sidings lang, but I put tarpauline sidings velcroed at the edges to contain the cool air from the ACU I had installed.

At first, neighbors and co-workers were laughing at me for driving a jeep with a "closed cabin", thought I was stupid or something, until they learned I had airconditioning. After that, I helped a couple of them set-up their own 'stupid' jeep ;)

Hmmmmm.... I might be going that route on my truck!!! quick question - I have doors on my truck but no window sills. How did you "create/improvise" the window?

mikey177
04-07-2008, 20:09
The library???
Nerd.

In all the years I was in UP, I don't think I ever borrowed a book from the library.

The place I'm talking about is the UP Rifle Pistol Team tambayan, which used to be located at the kiosk next to the parking lot in the photo I posted. Lots of memories about that place too... has a great view of the Sunken Garden :)

New_comer
04-07-2008, 20:22
Hmmmmm.... I might be going that route on my truck!!! quick question - I have doors on my truck but no window sills. How did you "create/improvise" the window?

Easy.

Find yourself a good upholsterer. He'll know what to do. :supergrin:

Seriously now, I'd begin by boring small holes evenly spaced at the top edge of the door where it meets the roof and have several "twist-type" clips riveted into them, the ones you find in passenger jeeps holding up their rain tarps. These are much stronger than "snap-type" clips and able to withstand strong airflow when you're racing in a highway.

Have your upholsterer fabricate the tarps combined with thick plastic sheet to serve as your window. At the corners, use male-female clips that will stretch the tap evenly and taut, and voila! There's your new window. If you want to make an air-tight seal, then you cna use the snap-ons rivetted evenly along the window with velcro receivers to shut the tarp completely against hot gusts and rain. :supergrin:

Wp.22
04-07-2008, 20:32
mine was 2 door daihatsu charade 3 cylinder with 15 inch mag wheels. gift from my dad before graduating from college. before that professional commuter lang po ako jeeps and tricycles.

New_comer
04-07-2008, 20:33
You can introduce a special modification like heavy duty zipper up the top of the door below the twist clips so that you won't have to take down the whole tarp-window should you prefer natural airflow. I did that the second time I re-tarped my jeep.

You must remember that the plastic window becomes brittle in time so you may need to retouch your project with new plastic sheets every now and then. I'd say, eight months to a year will be long enough. It works just enough to let you enjoy your ACU!

Vehicle security, well, it's another matter... You just can't leave valuables inside a tarped vehicle. I should know... :crying:

aztig
04-07-2008, 21:08
Mine was 92 Toyota Corolla 1.3 EL Big Body. During those bad times and the wife was not in good mood, the car serves as my second bedroom. The car was so tough that a lot of mishaps it has gone through never put my life in serious situation. Multiple times the car was bumped, slammed by jeep, vandalized by stupid street bums. Drifted through flush flood and only things had needed to do was to change oil and the car was good to go, thanks that this car was not equipped with hi-tech electronics.

Missed so much my first car, a lot of good and bad memories

goldfinger
04-07-2008, 22:18
my parents bought me a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle. I would never forget stuffing 7 male classmates and me in it one time in my senior year in high school. After graduation, we sold it to fund my full race owner-type jeep. Together with my jeep was 1992 Toyota Lite-Ace.

10big
04-07-2008, 23:09
my first car was a 1976 ford cortina which was previously used as a taxicab. the body was so thick with masilya and pushing it (since it always conks out on me) is really a herculean task. so many memories of girls comes with it though. used it for 4 years til the backseat sank so deep you cannot see outside the window :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

eventually sold it to a junk shop...

darth board
04-08-2008, 02:20
my first car was a 1983 lancer box type, no stereo but with aircon. nung binenta ko parang gusto kong samahan ng isang banig na biogesic para dun sa buyer.

wingz
04-08-2008, 03:45
Mine was a 1989 orange owner type jeepney stuffed with a Toyota Starlet 3k engine. Super tipid and sarap dalhin, lakas ng arangkada. It was the family car bought 2nd hand, pero dahil ako ang official driver ( ang bagal kasi magdrive ni erpats) akin siya palagi. It had a Toyota Carina steering wheel, passenger jeepney type pedals and tires!!! OMG!!! :wow::wow: Good thing my father replaced it with brand new 15in Hankook tires. I installed a stereo player from Raon and two low wattage rear speakers, medyo okay na ang byahe going to Manila from the province, ginagawa pa lang ang coastal road noon di pa tapos. In this car i learned how to repair and replaced brake shoes, how to jog the engine when power suddenly shut down at marami pang iba. Marami rin akong nakilalang mga tambay sa iba't-ibang lugar na nagtulak sa min tuwing titirik kami :wavey:. Nalaman ko rin na effective pala ang Tide powder pag tumigil ang wiper mo...:supergrin: But, kahit minsan sumpungin siya; never na nacompromise ako everytime na may mga emergencies sa bahay. Still remember her plate numbers till now. Sold it after 5 years, missed it.:whistling:

mikey177
04-08-2008, 04:39
my parents bought me a 1969 Volkswagen Beetle. I would never forget stuffing 7 male classmates and me in it one time in my senior year in high school...

My Beetle almost caught fire when my teammates stuffed maybe five persons in the back seat. The battery, which is located under the back seat, shorter out and started to smoke. It's a good thing they noticed the problem right away and thus avoided a bigger incident.

Still, I miss that car. I was so jealous of my teammate's Red Celeste because his car had a radio with a tape player, and my Bug only had the old-style radio that had six push-buttons for "programming" stations into. Hay naku, those were the days.

horge
04-08-2008, 06:55
In all the years I was in UP, I don't think I ever borrowed a book from the library.

The place I'm talking about is the UP Rifle Pistol Team tambayan, which used to be located at the kiosk next to the parking lot in the photo I posted. Lots of memories about that place too... has a great view of the Sunken Garden :)

Translation: "I wasn't there for the books... I was there to ogle
the pretty Engineering students as they walked over to AS (CAL/CSSP)"

... and you know I was just funnin' ya, Mike ;)

bertud ng putik
04-08-2008, 07:04
oldsmobile catlas supreme! yung 8 cylinder and malibu also V8...

atmarcella
04-08-2008, 09:43
this is a nice thread. mine was 1980 corolla dx. ebony black. white seatcovers. lowered hehe. benz plates hehe. marker lights. i have beautiful memories of that car. mostly bcos i didnt have money to get a motel room hehehehehehe.

trozau
04-08-2008, 16:33
1984 Honda Accord LX Hatchback :cool:

Wp.22
04-08-2008, 17:29
this is a nice thread. mine was 1980 corolla dx. ebony black. white seatcovers. lowered hehe. benz plates hehe. marker lights. i have beautiful memories of that car. mostly bcos i didnt have money to get a motel room hehehehehehe.

andrew, buti hindi minalas yung auto hehehe

the fool
04-08-2008, 18:27
http://www.iphotobox.com/uploads/b06f43d88f.jpg (http://www.iphotobox.com)

darwin25
04-08-2008, 21:12
My Beetle almost caught fire when my teammates stuffed maybe five persons in the back seat. The battery, which is located under the back seat, shorter out and started to smoke. It's a good thing they noticed the problem right away and thus avoided a bigger incident.

Still, I miss that car. I was so jealous of my teammate's Red Celeste because his car had a radio with a tape player, and my Bug only had the old-style radio that had six push-buttons for "programming" stations into. Hay naku, those were the days.

I would always make sure that a piece of plywood slab is always on top of the battery so it would not touch the springs of the back seat

horge
04-09-2008, 17:25
I would always make sure that a piece of plywood slab is always on top of the battery so it would not touch the springs of the back seat

Otherwise, it'd make a great morning ride to work for sleepy passengers :)

dnotrex
04-11-2008, 21:31
my dad gave me his 1982 toyota DX 4 door sedan when i graduated from college in 92' it has a 4k engine. super tipid and in very good condition...1 liter of gasoline was around P4.50....i went road tripping with my barkadas from ilocos to bicol. one of my greatest adventure.

lots of memories with that ride....

Vault Keeper
04-12-2008, 08:30
My first was a hand me down too from my dad. 1989 Red Mistubishi Lancer. GLX pero pawis steering!:supergrin:

3 years after I sold it, I saw it in Baguio...Told myself, nakaakyat pa ng Baguio! WOW!:headscratch::faint: