Grouse Hunting, what do y'all Use and Recipies :-) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunting, what do y'all Use and Recipies :-)

Westicle
06-16-2002, 17:16
Greetings y'all and welcome to another question from westicle's world of hunting, red... drop the duct tape and get over here and help me ask the Question

http://www.redgreen.com/images/scrapbook/red_green/splashface.jpg
Red Green: Ok you all, the question we are talking aboot here is what do y'all use to hunt grouse.... up here in Canada I have used my trusty 12 gauge, my 10/22 ruger and a 30/30 winchester to pop thier heads off.

Westicle: Good reading skills red, cause If the Women don't find you Handsome they should at least find you handy....

Red Green: Thank Westicle :). Now how do you Americans cook your Grouse ? westicle here was just telling me how he soaks his bird in salted water for 6 hours, rinses her off and then shake and bakes the dirty fowl. and cook for approx. 20 minutes or until done.

Westicle: Thanks Red, oop's did you duct tape your hat to the ceiling again, jeez.....

mikescooling
06-17-2002, 17:49
Westicle: I saw the red green show, I loved it!!
I don't get it on cable any more:(
Hay I think you could get a few hundred glocksters and do a show on us!!! I'll fly out.

12 gauge the only shoot gun.

Cooking upland birds, rap them in bacon or stuff butter under there skin or both. Cook covered in the oven for 45 min to 1 HR.
Use rubs like mustard/pesto/yogart if you bake them uncovered.

Lots of chopped garlic. Then take a few cluster of garlic and bake that with the bird so they get soft and mushy. I
like butter and asparagus cooked in a frying pan. To serve on the side.
Be good
Mike;j ;c ;c

Michigun
06-18-2002, 00:22
Beretta 390 12 gauge with a 24" barrel, IC tube & Federal HB #8 shot & a good dog... They are close shots up here.

For cooking: A "deep-fryer" is all ya need to know!:)

paynter2
06-23-2002, 00:02
For Ruffed Grouse here in N. Minnesota I use my 20 gauge with 7/5 shot. For those Spruce Grouse in Canada I use what ever is handy - rock, can of beer, what ever.

We had about 10+ inches of rain last night - storms training overhead for about 6-8 hours. I bet that was hard on the local grouse hatch.

rfb45colt
06-23-2002, 05:50
Our season opens about two-three weeks before the leaves drop. I'm usually blasting through heavy cover early in the season, so I use a 12 ga Browning BPS Upland Special (21" barrel) with imp cyl and #5s or 6s (Or an 870 or a model 12 riot gun with the same loads). After the leaves drop, I switch to my 20ga Ithaca 37, imp cyl, and # 7 1/2s. And... hey Red, if you see Edgar Montrose wandering around, looking for a fuse to light, tell him to come down here the 2nd weekend of Sept, and blast all the leaves off the trees, eh? Have Dougie Franklin drive him down in his Monster Truck. :)

For cooking, I usually just build a campfire in the fire pit behind the house, and put the bird on a spit over the fire... the same day I shoot them. ;f When the population cycle is at it's peak (like two years ago when there was a bird behind every bush) I'm forced to freeze some. When I cook the frozen birds, I DO NOT thaw them first. I wrap them in tin foil (no... not my hat) with lot's of sliced real butter, and put them on the grill... with the cover down... and cook about 30 minutes on high. Cooking them still frozen keeps all the juices in, and they're much better that way.

rfb45colt
06-23-2002, 06:02
Originally posted by paynter2
We had about 10+ inches of rain last night - storms training overhead for about 6-8 hours. I bet that was hard on the local grouse hatch.

Yeah, I saw that on the Weather Channel radar. It was supposed to come my way, but it stayed just north, over Lake Superior. I was in the U.P. earlier today, and it was raining so hard... I saw a mallard hen drown in midair while trying to fly. And the snappin turtles were laying on their backs, strapping oars to their bellies. ;f

If the grouse eat forest-tent-caterpillars... they'll be so fat by fall, they won't be able to fly. Lots of food around for the hatchlings... if they don't drown first. It's been warm and dry here for the most part... until now. Perfect for the hatch.

chucha
06-27-2002, 12:33
Winchester Mod 12 in 16 gauge with a short barrel and cylinder (no choke) bore for early season. Browning Sweet Sixteen modified bore later on.

Also, a couple of old SideXSides just for the hell of it. Have to admit that one is a 12 gauge, but it was gift! I would never buy one of those cannons. This one is an old Baker and slim enough to pass for a sixteen.

taa, cha;f