Vetern's get kicked in the back? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vetern's get kicked in the back?

bagballa
04-09-2008, 13:25
I just ETS'd from active duty, I served 15 months in iraq. Now when I apply for a local college, they say I have to pay $1600. Funny thing is I don't even start school until the end of next month, but payment is due next week?

I don't have the money to pay, I start my National Guard duty next week.

I have the GI Bill, but that won't officially start until sometime near the end of next month.
What the hell is going on?

I'm a Vet and a member of the SC National Guard, why do I have to worry about money for college????

Why am I paying $1600 a month before I start classes???

I guess being a Vet means nothing, even if you were infantry foot patrolling Sadr City for 15 months.

Am I misinformed, or do they really not care about us?

NC Bullseye
04-09-2008, 23:38
First, thanks for all you do and have done. It's an honor to have you home again. Don't take it as being kicked in the back, it's just the damn way things progress in the schooling world. You might be able to get the officer in charge of education to write a letter requesting deferment until your Bill starts. Otherwise, look into a short term loan if other means fail. I know it seems that you don't get any acknowledgment for your service but it matters where it really counts. The people care, the system just doesn't always work best for those who really need it to work all the time. Don't take it as a slam, it isn't. Enjoy everyday even if you have to work at it.

Thanks again.

bagballa
04-09-2008, 23:42
Thanks man, I really needed those encouraging words. Your welcome, by the way.:wavey: