Trip planned to Edisto Island. Need help with SC gun laws [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trip planned to Edisto Island. Need help with SC gun laws

dissthis
04-09-2008, 14:26
The family is planning a camping trip to Edisto Island. We live in Ga.

As I understand it, my GFL (Georgia Firearms Lisc) is not recognized in SC. So I will need to place my handgun in my glove box. Unloaded? Glove box locked?

What about Edisto Island = State Park?? In Ga we cannot carry (even in a car) at all in a State Park even with a GFL (that will change July 1st). What is the SC law about State Parks etc

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Magicmanmb
04-10-2008, 09:24

As I understand it, my GFL (Georgia Firearms Lisc) is not recognized in SC. So I will need to place my handgun in my glove box. Unloaded? Glove box locked?

What about Edisto Island = State Park?? In Ga we cannot carry (even in a car) at all in a State Park even with a GFL (that will change July 1st). What is the SC law about State Parks etc

It can be loaded in the unlocked glove box. According to the state park website firearms ARE prohibited at all times with or w/o permit, also alcoholic beverages are prohibited. So as far as I can tell you'll have to leave your pistol home unless y

Magicmanmb
04-10-2008, 09:25

It can be loaded in the unlocked glove box. According to the state park website firearms ARE prohibited at all times with or w/o permit, also alcoholic beverages are prohibited. So as far as I can tell you'll have to leave your pistol home unless you have a friend in the area to hold it for you.

k3sls
04-10-2008, 21:33
It can be loaded in the unlocked glove box. According to the state park website firearms ARE prohibited at all times with or w/o permit, also alcoholic beverages are prohibited. So as far as I can tell you'll have to leave your pistol home unless you have a friend in the area to hold it for you.

Firearms ARE permitted under select circumstances including hunting in designated areas and for holders of a SC CWP (resident or non-resident). Unfortunately, your GA permit is not recognized.

SECTION 51-3-145 of the SC State Code:

Certain acts unlawful at state parks.

(G) Possessing any firearm, airgun, explosive, or firework except by duly authorized park personnel, law enforcement officers, or persons using areas specifically designated by the department for use of firearms, airguns, fireworks, or explosives. Licensed hunters may have firearms in their possession during hunting seasons provided that such firearms are unloaded and carried in a case or the trunk of a vehicle except that in designated game management areas where hunting is permitted, licensed hunters may use firearms for hunting in the manner authorized by law. This subsection shall not apply to a person carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, and the concealable weapon and its ammunition.

dissthis
04-11-2008, 05:45
Thank you for the replies.

so, now its time for a moral dilemma :crying:

Magicmanmb
04-11-2008, 08:13
Contacted the local state park ranger and according to them the hunting wording was put in in case they ever allowed it in state parks.He knows of no state park that allows hunting. Only in the Francis Marion National Forest area at the twin pines range. It's a case of where one law says yes another says no.

k3sls
04-11-2008, 22:56
Contacted the local state park ranger and according to them the hunting wording was put in in case they ever allowed it in state parks.He knows of no state park that allows hunting. Only in the Francis Marion National Forest area at the twin pines range. It's a case of where one law says yes another says no.

A licensed hunter can still possess a firearm in a state park. "Licensed hunters may have firearms in their possession during hunting seasons provided that such firearms are unloaded and carried in a case or the trunk of a vehicle except that in designated game management areas where hunting is permitted, licensed hunters may use firearms for hunting in the manner authorized by law." As long as you adhere to the season, carry and storage limitations, state law trumps any parks department hunting regulation that might be interpreted to ban firearms in a park. In other words, a regulation can't supersede state law.

But none of this discussion helps the OP. He can have a loaded firearm in the glove box or enclosed console while outside a state park. He can carry in a state park if he acquires a non-resident CWP. Pretty limited choices!