Carrying knives... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying knives...

EddieMossberg
04-14-2008, 22:33
Hi all, I have been thinking of carrying a knife on my person to compliment my CCW weapons. It would be a back up. Is there a defenitive answer regarding the length of the blade? I'm referring to a folder. Also, it would be illegal to conceal a knife, am I correct? I've asked different people and received varying answers. I'd not like to break any laws, any info is much appreciated. Thanks.
Eddie

CowboyKen
04-15-2008, 06:05
Title 12 PUBLIC PEACE, SAFETY AND MORALS*

Chapter 12.04 FIREARMS AND AIR GUNS

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.

It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 18, 1965)

http://www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm

Ken

RMTactical
04-15-2008, 14:30
What if it's not concealed?

CowboyKen
04-15-2008, 16:22
What if it's not concealed?

Great question. Again, IANAL. I believe it falls into the same space as a handgun, i.e., defacto open carry. The law doesn't say you can't, so you can. YMMV.

Ken

p.s.; Please read the NRS on dangerous weapons and be sure you are in compliance if you are going to open carry any weapon.

osiruscyn
04-16-2008, 12:15
the NRS statute regarding posession of dangerous weapons is based on the mere posession of the dangerous weapon. Concealed or not concealed is irrelevant.

EddieMossberg
04-18-2008, 11:52
So, if I'm clear here, one could open carry a knife with a blade length of 3" or less?

osiruscyn
04-18-2008, 12:49
So, if I'm clear here, one could open carry a knife with a blade length of 3" or less?

correct. You could also carry it concealed. So long as it has a blade less than 3".

FTR, I carry a CRKT desert cruiser which has a blade length of 3.75". Yeah, it's more than 3" and many people (and officers) carry folders with blades longer than 3". I don't think they are really looking to arrest someone who has a knife that is .75" over the allowed length but more so the guy toting a 12" bowie or katana in his pants leg.

EddieMossberg
04-18-2008, 13:25
Thanks for the replies!

Carver
04-19-2008, 10:06
dang, I have been carrying/concealed a fixed 5" blade since I moved to Vegas...
I wonder if having a CCW (for a revolver for ex) means I can carry the blade legally, or is it another permission slip that I need.

osiruscyn
04-19-2008, 13:28
dang, I have been carrying/concealed a fixed 5" blade since I moved to Vegas...
I wonder if having a CCW (for a revolver for ex) means I can carry the blade legally, or is it another permission slip that I need.

The CCW is for firearms only. There is no permit you can obtain to carry a knife with a blade bigger than 3".

Carver
04-19-2008, 15:10
Title 12 PUBLIC PEACE, SAFETY AND MORALS*

Chapter 12.04 FIREARMS AND AIR GUNS

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.

It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 18, 1965)

http://www.ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm

Ken

my own question was answered in the law, guess I read too quickly.
Now I need to befriend a sheriff. It is not an unreasonable thing to ask, considering I sell knives from time to time-

osiruscyn
04-19-2008, 16:31
my own question was answered in the law, guess I read too quickly.
Now I need to befriend a sheriff. It is not an unreasonable thing to ask, considering I sell knives from time to time-

that's for clark county. That means you would have to get written permission from Doug Gillespie. Of course, this still doesn't provide immunity from state law.

CowboyKen
04-23-2008, 09:16
that's for clark county. That means you would have to get written permission from Doug Gillespie. Of course, this still doesn't provide immunity from state law.

It may, IANAL:

NRS 202.350 Manufacture, importation, possession or use of dangerous weapon or silencer; carrying concealed weapon without permit; penalties; issuance of permit to carry concealed weapon; exceptions. ...

3. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, the sheriff of any county may, upon written application by a resident of that county showing the reason or the purpose for which a concealed weapon is to be carried, issue a permit authorizing the applicant to carry in this State the concealed weapon described in the permit. The sheriff shall not issue a permit to a person to carry a switchblade knife. This subsection does not authorize the sheriff to issue a permit to a person to carry a pistol, revolver or other firearm. ...
http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec350

---------------------------------------

So if I read that section correctly a sheriff may issue a permit to carry a weapon, but not a firearm or switchblade knife, that is otherwise illegal and make it legal anywhere in the State of Nevada. Of course he may issue a permit to carry a firearm under other provisions of the code.

Ken

osiruscyn
04-23-2008, 09:57
wasn't aware of that provision.

However, after 7 years in the courts and law enforcement I can say that not once have i ever seen any permit issued by any sheriff for anything other than a firearm in Clark County or Nevada for that matter. The probability of getting a permit to carry a longer knife than allowed by law, especially from sheriff gillespie, is going to be very difficult and improbable.

In addition, in that statute, you are going to have to actually provide a reason to carry it and what purpose it would serve you. Those two things combined are at the sole discretion of the sheriff. With sheriff Young you might have been able to receive a permit. With sheriff gillespie, you are going to have a rough time. He's not really all that civilian/firearm/weapon friendly.

I'd be interested if someone were to attempt it, what their outcome was and the hoops LVMPD made them jump through to obtain it if they did obtain it.