Cutting down a 1911 barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting down a 1911 barrel?

Frontsight68
04-15-2008, 03:32
Hi,

Has anyone ever tried doing this?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a new Colt Commander .45 slide and a slightly used Colt Gold Cup .45 5" national match barrel which were given to me by a friend. Its just gathering dust so i'm thinking of mating the two together to build a Commander top end.

Is this possible or even feasible?

If so, who is the best gunsmith to go to for this?

Thanks

Frontsight

productionguy
04-15-2008, 03:57
i did this before with my carry gun,i cut the barsto barrel to commander size and make it bull barrel,sorry no pics coz the gun is sold already,try churchhill from pb dionisio.

isuzu
04-15-2008, 20:58
It's okay to cut a 5" barrel to make it into a Commander-length barrel. Just make sure you find a gunsmith who knows how to cut the barrel with the necessary allowance for crowning. Also, make sure he knows how to crown a barrel.

IMO, I wouldn't cut a Colt barrel. It's quite hard to find a Gold Cup National Match these days. It's better to install it on a 5" 1911. :)

Armscor and Shooter's barrels are reasonably-priced and their quality has improved a lot.

paltik45
04-16-2008, 01:29
IMO, I wouldn't cut a Colt barrel. It's quite hard to find a Gold Cup National Match these days. It's better to install it on a 5" 1911. :)

Armscor and Shooter's barrels are reasonably-priced and their quality has improved a lot.

It is OK to cut the barrel but a big NO NO:shame: to cut a colt GOLD CUP national match barrel. It is very hard to find nowadays. Go for the armscor match barrel and stay away from SAM barrel. A police officer from my town just got a SAM 1911 from the last gunshow. After 1000 rounds the rifling were all shot out and key holed on the target.

Allegra
04-16-2008, 02:12
So....... what do you do w/ a colt barrel?
Who cares if it's hard to find , nobody's looking for one
except...
The 60's just called , they want their barrel back har har < groan >

Just kidding :)

I love a COLT combat commander

i_am_infinity
04-16-2008, 10:52
pagawa mo na lang a gunsmith wala ka pa hassle.

isuzu
04-16-2008, 20:13
So....... what do you do w/ a colt barrel?
Who cares if it's hard to find , nobody's looking for one
except...
The 60's just called , they want their barrel back har har < groan >

Just kidding :)

I love a COLT combat commander

Build an upper for it. :)

Frontsight68
04-16-2008, 20:54
So i guess I will be saving the Gold Cup barrel for another project and will just buy a commander length barrel.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

Its much appreciated

Frontsight

Allegra
04-18-2008, 01:03
Build an upper for it. :)

Seriously , I thought colts are maganda ipreserve kung buong baril
Kung hiwahiwalay , it's not as valuable
Fitting the colt barrel to the new slide would be no different than cutting half an inch of it's length
I'd build the commander top end and find an alloy 1911 frame
Maging parang yung discontinued Colt Lightweight Commander
Thats my fave carry gun