J-B bore cleaner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : J-B bore cleaner

CatsMeow
04-17-2008, 03:17
Hi all.

Last weekend I shot 50rds of lead through my 1911 (first time I shot lead in years!:supergrin:) and upon cleaning afterwards, the bore was badly leaded. I went to the Brownell's catalog to look up the Lewis Lead Remover with a view to ordering the same from our favorite BoG supplier (out of stock unfortunately), but saw that Brownells recommends J-B bore cleaner to use with it. I saw some at True Weight a while ago at an atrocious price of P1.2k each. It appears to be a mild abrasive. Does anybody have any experience using this? My Xtreme Bore Cleaner made no impression on the leading.

Thanks!

atmarcella
04-20-2008, 02:54
di kaya ng kerosene and brass brush CM?

isuzu
04-20-2008, 10:52
Try soaking the barrel in kerosene overnight, and run a brass (never stainless) barrel brush to take the leading off.

Lead reloads are fine, provided they are the right mixture. Seems that the reloaded ammo you used had an improper ratio when they cast them.

There are people that say "shoot FMJ after shooting lead." I would strongly not recommend this. Leading could be significant on the barrel that it can cause restrictions and a possible KB.

goldfinger
04-20-2008, 14:59
j-b is a mild abrasive. i used it on the barrels of my new rifles. they say it makes your bore into a mirror like finish thus reducing fouling. never used it on a handgun before though

CatsMeow
04-20-2008, 18:31
I'll try to borrow a Lewis Lead Remover from one of the guys here. My suspicions were confirmed when I asked around; the bullets of our club reloader were on the soft side. I'll try Stronghand for the next batch.

In the meantime I'll try the kerosene thing. Thanks!