okie
06-19-2002, 02:28
I am thinking about getting a bait cast fishing reel. What do I
look for in a quality reel, and can a person get a good one
without taking out a bank loan?;4 Sorry I had my head up my butt
bait cast is what I ment:(

flyboy5432H
06-19-2002, 03:46
are you meaning a spinning reel with a fixed open face spool, or a true spincast that has a cover over the front? here's some info on both...

spincasts are cheap, can get a good Zebco 33 for under 30 bucks. spincast are not very popular with most fishermen, they have a habit of not as strong, tangles inside the reel, and not being as smooth as a spinning or casting reel.

for spinning reels, it depends on what your fishing for. shimano makes several quality reels for lower prices, from under 30 on up. look into the slade, sedona, and sahara for a good range of prices. diawa is another company that has come out with several new models that could suit you, the new capricorn is a very well built reel. if your looking for something for saltwater, penn is a good way to go with thier SS seriew spinning reel.

if you need more info e-mail me at Michael_Uleski@hotmail.com, i'm a reel repairman in fl, have worked on pretty much everything and know what works and what doesn't. tight lines...

PACKIN' PLASTIC
06-19-2002, 07:30
okie,

I don't fish spincast reels, a good one will cost as much as a better spinning reel;Q

Spinning reels are my standard, I fish mostly Shimano Sedona's. They run about $50.00 new, but I got mine as new for around $25.00 on ebay:)

Shimano also makes reels with rear drag and push-button spool release.

A Shimano Sedona 4000 would be my pick for a first reel.

PP

Arbee
06-19-2002, 07:39
I think you will be happier with a spinning reel in the long run. I like Shimano. The three models mentioned above are worth looking at. I prefer the 2000 size in any of the models for most freshwater and light saltwater.

switch625
06-19-2002, 07:43
i use to go with shimano but after a short while(month) they all started hissing like the spool was rubbing against something?

i switched to daiwa. worked well for 2 years, started hissing this spring.:(

does anybody know if this is normal?

jame
06-19-2002, 09:02
I just bought a Sedona last week and love it. SO smooth.

As far as the hissing thing goes, does it need to be lubricated? Does it spin free and smooth otherwise? I'd like to know about this as well.

switch625
06-19-2002, 09:19
my shimanos were new and factory lubed, it would occur after a few weeks of normal use.

flinch
06-19-2002, 12:28
Spin-cast reels are designed for people who fish occasionally. They're easy to use (push the button and then cast), but you'll end up with a terrible drag and awful reliability.

If you plan to fish more than five times a year, go ahead and get a decent spinning reel. Don't get anything with a rear-drag or a quick-cast-thingy. Both involve too many parts that can break or go wonky. Stay with a front drag and a standard bail assembly.

I like being able to set my drag weight precisely, because I use 2lb test line for everything. Post-spawn rainbows in Wyoming require a much different setting than stockers in Colorado.

The best reel I've had was a Shimano Spirex 500 ultralight spinning reel. The Spirex lacked all of the gee-gaws that most manufacturers like to add on, but it had a great drag. When 29" of very irate cutthroat decides to make a run for the opposite side of the lake, one appreciates a drag that doesn't hang up.

Right now, I've got a Shimano Sahara 1000. I wanted more line capacity (300 yards of fluorocarbon on it right now), and it's been pretty reliable. It's available for around $70.

Grumpy Gardener
06-20-2002, 15:02
I use a Shimano reel on an Eagle Claw 2 way pole. Probably the only thing I could add is that you might want to try out a few first and find the right gearing. When you run a reel with a light Panther Martin spinner (or something of similar weight in the 1/4 ounce weight) you have to find the speed that will cause the spoon to spin in such a fashion that will attract the quarry w/o stifling it in confusion or just plain ole scare it away. Our Brownies up here seem to need just the right speed to strike the target. Another thing is go for a flat black or green rig that won't cause any shine off the unit as you work your streams. Presentation IS everything when stalking them little buggers. Look for a Cardinal rig. I used to own one and they are absolutely fabulous on an ugly stick back pack rig. Good fishing pardner.

Gardener

Arbee
06-22-2002, 07:54
Just opcurred to me that we don't know what you want to use it for? Bass? Striper? Pan Fish? Trout? Light Saltwater? Catfish? We may be able to be more specific if you fill us in. Would you like rod suggestions, too?

switch625
06-22-2002, 08:05
this thread has been up for awhile, okie? come in okie......earth to okie..;f

Grumpy Gardener
06-22-2002, 08:22
;f

UtahIrishman
06-22-2002, 08:56
I'm not a die hard fisherman but I do like nice equipment. I've been using a Quantum rod and spinning reel setup for lake fishing from the shore for about the last four years. Set me back about $125 for both the rod and reel if I remember right. The reel is very nice and I can get good smooth casts out to about 50 yards with out a problem. Friends who have used the setup have commented that they find the rod a bit stiff, but I like it.

I see a lot of people where I go fishing using shimano and lately a lot of ultra-light gear as well. A lot is going to depend on the type of fishing that you do of course.

okie
06-24-2002, 03:49
this thread has been up for awhile, okie? come in okie......earth to okie..
Ok I am back to earth again. I messed up big time in the orginal
thread I said spincast real but I meant baitcast, and I am
fishing for bass. Sorry you guys had to waste all that time
posting for tha wrong reel:( You can all get out your
55 gal. drums of woop-ass and pour them all over me;f

Arbee
06-24-2002, 05:24
It's been interesting anyway. Why don't you start a new thread about bait cast reels for bass.

PACKIN' PLASTIC
06-24-2002, 10:59
Shimano still rules:)

PP