Another question about hard drive partitions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another question about hard drive partitions

The Pontificator
04-18-2008, 12:09
When ordering a Dell computer (laptop) one of the configuration options is a partitioned hard drive (or none).

What are the relative pros and cons of this? Is there any real need?

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2008, 15:48
Partitions allow you to organize and safe guard your data allowing for faster backups and in some cases increasing your systems performance. The main reason people prefer a drive with multiple partitions is because having a separate system partition that contains only your OS and programs/software allows you to recover the system should it crash without losing all of your data.

mitchshrader
04-18-2008, 15:52
set up right, it can enhance stability and give you a 'back door' to work on spyware or virus infestations.

The Pontificator
04-18-2008, 17:27
Partitions allow you to organize and safe guard your data allowing for faster backups and in some cases increasing your systems performance. The main reason people prefer a drive with multiple partitions is because having a separate system partition that contains only your OS and programs/software allows you to recover the system should it crash without losing all of your data.

Here are the three options. Which is preferable?

Custom Hard Drive Partition, 40GB Primary, Remainder Secondary [add $10]

Custom Hard Drive Partition, 60GB Primary, Remainder Secondary [add $10]

Custom Factory Partition, 50 percentage Primary / 50 percentage Secondary [add $10]

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2008, 18:13
Here are the three options. Which is preferable?

Custom Hard Drive Partition, 40GB Primary, Remainder Secondary [add $10]

Custom Hard Drive Partition, 60GB Primary, Remainder Secondary [add $10]

Custom Factory Partition, 50 percentage Primary / 50 percentage Secondary [add $10]How big is the hard drive? What is the OS?

The Pontificator
04-18-2008, 19:23
How big is the hard drive? What is the OS?

OS is XP

HD size is...I haven't decided. Either 160 or 250GB

I'm considering a Dell Vostro 1400 or 1500

Sgt. Schultz
04-18-2008, 19:34
I’d get the largest hard drive I could afford … a 40 GB partition is more than enough disk space for Windows XP and all of your programs.

havensal
04-18-2008, 20:07
I think it's worth the $10 to get the partition.

Just get the 40, I think you would have a hard time filling that up.

Just use the second (larger) partition to store anything you don't want to loose.

It even gives you the ability to run 2 OS's if you are so inclined. :dunno:

So far I haven't heard any bad reviews of the Vostro's. I just got a 1500 for a coworker for $570 (C2D, 2gig, 160gig, DVDrw, Blootooth) :cool:

Tennessee Slim
04-19-2008, 06:05
I'd recommend a single partition

If you’re formatting in NTFS, there is no security advantage to multiple partitions. And any backup application that can target a single partition also can target a single branch of your directory tree.

Using multiple partitions needlessly distributes your data over more real estate, necessitates included empty space, and prevents your files being stored contiguously. This degrades performance and is counter to one of the objectives of defragmentation, Multiple partitions also increase the likelihood that you’re going to run into a storage space crunch while there is empty space on another partition on the same disk.

RDeputy150
04-28-2008, 20:55
If you want more than one partition, don't pay Dell to do it...do it yourself, it's extremely easy.