retirement/tricare [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : retirement/tricare

southernshooter
04-18-2008, 15:32
Just reached 60 and getting retirement funds. Tricare standard begins as soon as you get your retired I.D. card. With bluecross blueshield I was paying $75.00 copay for 2 of my wife's prescriptions. With new tricare standard it was only $11.00 for both. Looking at getting tricare prime soon.

md2lgyk
04-21-2008, 10:57
I'll turn 60 and start getting retired pay in a couple of weeks. Tricare is indeed quite a bargain.

southernshooter
04-21-2008, 17:27
I'll turn 60 and start getting retired pay in a couple of weeks. Tricare is indeed quite a bargain.
As soon as you get your permanent ID card you have tricare standard right then. You can pay $400 per year to upgrade to tricare prime. When your retired pay starts your first direct deposit will be pay for the time between your birthday and the end of the month. Your next checks or direct deposit will be for the full regular amount.

md2lgyk
04-22-2008, 08:35
I've already enrolled in Prime and paid for a full year. They are holding the paperwork until my birthday (May 7th) when I'm eligible. I'll have my permanent ID the next day. I'm retiring from my civilian job too, and their insurance will cover us through the rest of the month.

rumaco
04-22-2008, 11:00
I've been in the system for quite some time and before you jump to obtain "Prime" and let go the "standard" there are two things you better understand. One is some places do not have "prime" and the biggest of them all is "MANY" Doctors will NOT take "prime" but 99% do take "standard." Be very very sure of what you do with Tricare! Prime is a lower payer on the Doctors side. Horror stories are made by this prime vs standard. Also MOAA gives a great deal on secondary coverage with something called "mediplus" and is leaps and bounds cheaper than anything on the market and pays very well. Biggest thing is be very sure you understand the differance in Prime and Standard, it will come back to bite you!

deadday
04-22-2008, 11:38
Does it work the same for guys getting out on medical retirement? I'm only 25, but should be medically retired in the next few months..

drew

md2lgyk
04-23-2008, 10:20
I've been in the system for quite some time and before you jump to obtain "Prime" and let go the "standard" there are two things you better understand. One is some places do not have "prime" and the biggest of them all is "MANY" Doctors will NOT take "prime" but 99% do take "standard." Be very very sure of what you do with Tricare! Prime is a lower payer on the Doctors side. Horror stories are made by this prime vs standard. Also MOAA gives a great deal on secondary coverage with something called "mediplus" and is leaps and bounds cheaper than anything on the market and pays very well. Biggest thing is be very sure you understand the differance in Prime and Standard, it will come back to bite you!

Thanks for the advice.