chicken? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : chicken?

AndABeer
04-18-2008, 18:00
So I am at Red Robin of all places a couple weeks ago and order their Bruchetta (sp?) Chicken Burger. I am pretty sure that it was a regular ole chicken breast (not processed), but it was the juicest and most tender piece of chicken I have had in a while if not ever. So what is the secret to melt in your mouth chicken?

I have tried poaching since then thinking that would be the safest way for a restaurant to cook moist chicken and getting it done through out. But that hasn't yielded the results I am looking for.

How do y'all do it?:dunno:

Garweh
04-18-2008, 19:36
Couple of tricks to cooking tender chicken breasts. First trick is that the breast must be of uniform thickness. So, pound it flat with a mallet, the bottom of a pot, a wine bottle, etc. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on your preference. Bread the breasts, let them rest in the fridge for about 1/2 hour after breading and then pan fry in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side (golden brown). DO NOT overcook!

Second trick is to brine the breasts in a salt water solution for about 3 hours prior to cooking. This will season the chicken and keep it moist. You can add herbs and spices to the brine to flavor the chicken. I brine whole chickens for about 12 hours. Never dry when finished roasting.

JohniusMaximus
04-18-2008, 21:22
If it's to be fried I marinate in buttermilk. If not it will be brined. There are a lot of brine recipes out there. I'll have to dig into my recipe files before I post one. They're all pretty similar though. Salt, seasonings, and liquid. I know for chicken I really like an apple cider brine.

fastsix
04-19-2008, 00:17
Just leave out the sauce in the recipe below and you'll have it more or less.

Brine + sear + finish in the oven

Honestly brining is too much effort for me, but it does make a difference. Finishing things in the oven after you've browned them in a pan is pretty common and works well to keep them from drying out. Works with chicken, meat, and fish. Just make sure your pan is ovenproof. Plastic handles generally can handle 350-400 degrees or so, best just to get an all metal pan.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A47549-2004Feb17?language=printer

AndABeer
04-22-2008, 18:15
poached a few breasts in a pineapple, soy, honey, rooster sauce, sake mix

didn't suck

stooxie
04-27-2008, 13:20
You can be pretty sure that Red Robin brines the heck out of them with a good mixture of sodium phosphate and salt.

rhikdavis
04-27-2008, 18:06
Couple of tricks to cooking tender chicken breasts. First trick is that the breast must be of uniform thickness. So, pound it flat with a mallet, the bottom of a pot, a wine bottle, etc. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on your preference. Bread the breasts, let them rest in the fridge for about 1/2 hour after breading and then pan fry in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes per side (golden brown). DO NOT overcook!

Second trick is to brine the breasts in a salt water solution for about 3 hours prior to cooking. This will season the chicken and keep it moist. You can add herbs and spices to the brine to flavor the chicken. I brine whole chickens for about 12 hours. Never dry when finished roasting.

Minuteman
04-27-2008, 20:03
Start with high quality meat, marinade/brine, and don't over cook it.

Minuteman
04-28-2008, 01:37
The trick to cooking any meat, or even nice vegatables, is you just barely cook it till it's just comes up to sufficient temp that it is no longer raw/rare; or you have to go all the way the other direction and cook the hell out of it (with enough liquid) until it's starting to fall apart.
In between is no good.