Any Suzuki 650 V-Strom riders out there? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Suzuki 650 V-Strom riders out there?

wavetrain75
04-19-2008, 22:26
I'm thinking it's time to thin the herd and get down to two or fewer bikes. I'm not real big so a modern 650 is plenty of bike, and the V-Strom seems like it could be a really good only bike.

I need something for daily commuting, carving up high mountain twisties, long weekends to Yellowstone Park, the twice yearly 1000 mile interstate haul, and, since my brother just got a KLR, fire roads.

Any thoughts on the Wee-Strom?

.45 Combat
04-22-2008, 15:46
Hi, I'm new for on the street, I've gotta dirt bike to learn on and would like a V-Strom 650. I feel you have the right bike, fire trails would be the limit other than gravel roads, from what I've gathered.

I've learned the mileage is really great, the ride position to me lets you be seen. Go with the bike. But to me the temptation would be its bigger brother, the V-Strom 1000, for just a couple grand more.

xring04
05-01-2008, 20:32
After spending time on both I like the "wee strom" more.

Smoother motor, better handling, and in my opinion a much more balanced bike.

I played with em both for about 500 miles each, and the 650 put a bigger grin on my face.

fnfalman
05-02-2008, 10:51
I just rode the V-Stroms (both the wee and the big'un) this last weekend. I'm surprised that it's not taller. My KTM Adventure sits taller even with the low seat on. I got a kid at work who's tall as hell at 6ft4. I was going to recommend the V-Strom but I don't think that it will give him enough leg room to be comfortable for the long haul.

marsturm
05-03-2008, 13:13
I had a "wee" strom. It was smooth as a turbine at 90mph, high 40's in mpg, and handled slick. I would have kept it if I had a longer inseam. At 5'8" I was on my tip toes at stops, even after lowering it 7/8". I replaced it with a Kawasaki Ninja 650R. The Ninja isn't as smooth and doesnt have as good of wind protection, but it gets slightly better mpg(low 50's) and I feel more in control.

edcrosbys
05-03-2008, 20:56
I Love my DL-650!

It was my daily driver when I lived in florida. Took it from Jax, to Austin Tx and it felt good the entire time. I've already started riding it up here, this spring and am LOVING the twisties (we didn't have those down south).

Not quite enough torque to easily wheelie, not enough top end to rapidly accelerate at 80+ mph.. It will go 0-60 in about 4 seconds though, so it's not a slouch at legal speeds. It takes either aftermarket, or a bit of ingenouity to get the wind nice and smooth. I got a DL-1000 seat for mine and the leg angle is awesome now!

If you plan on doing anything off-road, you'll want to protect that radiator quickly! I'd look at protecting that plastic as well. Also think about throwing a 450+ lb machine around offroad, I will personally tell you that sand will make you humble (or it made me humble).

I would say you'll kill your bro on the highway, but he'll make you look stupid off road. Little fire trails (dirt and a bit of gravel) I'd do without worry.. Any real trails, I'd meet him back at camp!

Lastly, if you need every electrical appliance made, it can't handle it. Heaters and a gps, sure... Add the radio, radar detector, your woman's heater, and ipod and you'll kill ur battery quickly. There's no stator upgrade for it yet either.

There ya go.. good and bad. I love mine though.