Gs1100e? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gs1100e?

chokeslam512
04-21-2008, 10:59
I recently sold my KDX220R and am lookingat a Suzuki GS1100E for commuting and fun and maybe a road trip or two. Aside from the electrical problems these bikes are known for, what else should I look for?

wavetrain75
04-22-2008, 20:01
I have a '78 GS750, I replaced the entire ignition system (points, not electronic) including the coils and fixed some age related wear in the wire harness, after that it ran like a top.

You might want to look at the owners' group - GS Resources - it's dedicated to this vintage GS and there are a number of members that know far more than I do.

Syncing the carbs is a bit of a pain but well worth it.

Beyond that, if you have a toupee or false teeth just make sure they are firmly attached before you take off, those 1100s are rockets if you have them running right.

PDude
04-23-2008, 13:49
I had one, it was a good bike.

I put in an aftermarket stator and rectifier with a huge heat sink/new connectors.

Points replacement ignition, pod filters and jet kit for new pipe.

I worked on it for a couple of weeks putting on the above items, then rode the piss out of it for many carefree miles.

Sold it to a buddy to get a GSXR for the twisties. His kid rode it to college and they still have it.

chokeslam512
04-23-2008, 19:44
I bought it.... rode it 35 miles home last night. It is running a bit rough. I am planning on syncing the carbs as soon as I can. I also need rotors for the front brakes at $180 each :faint:

Then come the new stator and R/R.