Lock required with purchase of handgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lock required with purchase of handgun?

1bigtaco
04-21-2008, 20:16
In AL, are you required by law to have a lock with the gun when a handgun is transferred to you?

Thanks!

Fear Night
04-22-2008, 06:40
I believe so, my last handgun purchase I remember having to initial that I have received the lock on some special form. For private transfers, doubtful.

bamarammin87
04-22-2008, 16:24
I really really doubt it. I read thru the AL gun laws before and it said nothing at all anywhere about locks.

elrod
04-22-2008, 17:44
I really really doubt it. I read thru the AL gun laws before and it said nothing at all anywhere about locks.

I believe the law that requires a lock with each new handgun purchase is Federal. Of course no lock is required if you use the gun show loophole.:crazy:

bamarammin87
04-23-2008, 19:56
OOOO you mean the lock like a cable lock. sowwie! yes I believe every one comes with one.

BamaBud
05-02-2008, 15:27
After looking for something about this, I have gotten an answer from the Guys at Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer (they've been selling me guns for 30+ years, so I trust their answer).

Anyway, there is no law, ALabama state or federal, requiring the lock, BUT BATFE Regs require an FFL to provide a lock with EVERY handgun transfer. So, if an FFL wants to keep their license, it is required.

So, that's the story I'm sticking to.

My .02
BB

thooks
05-05-2008, 20:07
This ain't Kalifornia, Massachewsetts, NY, Chicargo or Ohier.

Jazz5
06-03-2008, 10:40
Federal requirement I'm told. I've got a box full if anyone needs one.

Lone_Wolfe
06-10-2008, 22:02
Lee county Sherriffs office gives them away. Or at least they used to....

It is a federal law requiring that a lock be provided with every gun sold from an FFL. A gun shop in Tucson that I bought a Redhawk from on Saturday complied by handing me a cable tie with the gun and telling me to have a nice day.. :thumbsup:

FireForged
06-29-2008, 11:27
My trigger lock is called (common sense).

GRR
07-03-2008, 17:52
After looking for something about this, I have gotten an answer from the Guys at Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer (they've been selling me guns for 30+ years, so I trust their answer).

Anyway, there is no law, ALabama state or federal, requiring the lock, BUT BATFE Regs require an FFL to provide a lock with EVERY handgun transfer. So, if an FFL wants to keep their license, it is required.

So, that's the story I'm sticking to.

My .02
BB

But nothing requires you to take it.