Bikers I need your help (crotch rockets) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bikers I need your help (crotch rockets)

Black Cloud
04-21-2008, 22:10
I am currently researching different manufactures, and would like to know, which one would you recommend. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.
Also, what type of mileage would I get, if I drive one of these conservatively? Now that gas is getting so high, I have found a good excuse to get one (had to convince my wife).

Thanks,
Smitty

paul-s
04-22-2008, 00:59
all of the big four kaw-hon-yam-suz-put out good bikes it depends on your skills, size and if the wife likes to ride. for a large bike commuter i like the kaw zrx eddie lawson replica or suz bandit lots of power and comfort. i rode my ninja 300mi straight and the comfort just isn't there. i'm dragstrip only on the 12 with a hog for puttin.

GixxerSixxer
04-22-2008, 11:49
Yamaha YXF-R6, Suzuki GSX-R600, and Kawassaki ZX-6R are all oriented for the track. That means the clip-ons will be low, the riding position will be aggressive. The GSX-R600 will be the most aggressive riding position. In reality you can't tell a whole lot between the ride position if you're new.

The R6 is the most track aggressive bike. It's prone to headshake because of the short rake. However, the short rake also makes it a very flickable bike. The R6 is also nice and slender. It has looks that other bikes can't touch.

The GSX-R is the all round sweet bike. It has track aggressiveness and good street feel. The GSX-R is also known as the most common squid bike because it's such a popular and dominating machine. All the uneducated newbies want a GSX-R.

I can't offer much on the Kawisaki ZX-6R or the 636. I'm not a big Kawisaki guy.

The Honda CBR-600RR is a track bike but Honda has seen how about 5% of the sportbike bought are ridden on the track. They decided to make the 600RR more street friendly but retain the track bike feel. The Honda will have more torque in the low RPMs. The other bikes like to wound up to get power output. My 2003 GSX-R600 will hit the powerband around 8000 RPM.

The 600RR has clip-ons that are a bit less aggressive than the others. This is something that can be noticed by a new guy.

Saving gas all depends on how much you twist your wrist and other factors like tire pressure, air filter, etc. My gas mileage will vary from 26 MPG to 47 MPG all depending on what I was doing during the week. Typically I can get 130 miles before my low fuel light comes on. I think there is 1 gallon left when the light comes on and the tank is a 4.76 gallon tank. So I'm getting around 34MPG.

A sportbike sadly won't save you a lot of money. You'll need to buy a rear stand, and a front stand. Preferably get a front stand that lifts from the triple tree so you can service your forks yourself. That is at minimum of $150 in stands. Tires will last 4-5K miles then you'll need new ones. If you solely commute you can go get The Michelin Pilot Power 2CT that is harder in the center patch so you don't square off the tire.

You'll need chain lube and kerosene to maintain the chain. Plan on changing the oil every 3K miles and servicing the chain every 350 miles. You can go cheap and replace the oil filter every other time. The brakes need to be bled every year. Preferably twice a year. Once at the beginning of the season and once in the middle. Change the coolant at the beginning of the year. Fork oil should be changed every two years.

Insurance will also be expensive unless you're over 25 and/or married with kids. The "R" makes it a race bike and the insurance companies know it. You can cheap out and go with liability only but sportbikes are often stolen and motorcycles in general aren't seen by people in cars so they get hit. Check insurance quotes before you buy. Going with a smaller displacement bike will lower insurance rates as well. Besides, it's ill advised for a new guy to start on a 600 sportbike. Current production 600cc sportbikes are putting out more HP than the 1000cc bikes were a decade ago. The bikes are also lighter so the power to weight ratio is huge. 10 years ago it was ill advised for a new guy to start on a 600cc bike.

Most bikes take 87 octane minmum. Unless specified you're wasting money by using premium fuel. It won't make more HP or better fuel efficiency.

Someone will probably recommend the SV-650 but it's a V-twin so it sucks gas. If you want a gas saver the SV won't be it no matter how awesome the bike is for a learner bike. I love the SV but that's its downside. The SV is great as a starter bike but with your criteria it won't fit well.

With that said, I suggest you stay clear of the Sportbikes for gas savings unless you go with a an inline twin like the Kawi 650 or go with the Suzuki GS500, Kawi Ninja 250 or Ninja 500. Those bikes will get decent gas mileage and they don't dent the wallet badly. They are easy to find used as well.

Another option is to drop the sportbike idea and look into cruiser bikes. There are alot that will get 45+ MPG. Insurance will be cheaper and the tires will last longer. Unless the bike is un-godly heavy the bike will also be easier to do low-speed stuff on. Sportbikes have a tendency to make you lock out the handle bars in slow speed so you need to really control the clutch and body position.

No matter what you'll need gear which will cost at minimum $750. You'll want a leather jacket, gauntlet style gloves, a helmet, and boots that give ankle support.

hagar
04-22-2008, 12:56
I'd be hard pressed to find anything today to replace my 1997 Kawasaki ZX11, except maybe the new 1400 Kawa tourer. I have 13,700 miles on mine, and I'm on my 3rd battery in 11 years, second set of tires (I got over 10,000 miles on both front and rear tire), my chain is still perfect, and it gets between 44 and 52 miles per gallon, and I have not spent a dime on repairs on the bike. Tune-ups yes, I just had the carburetors cleaned and rebuilt because I don't get the time to drive it much. But honestly, I have not had to replace a single part that broke by itself, or even a blown fuse or bulb. I would not trade it for any of these crocth rockets now at the dealers. The ZX11 is a bike that you could easily do 500 or more miles per day and be comfortable.

hopeitsfast
04-22-2008, 17:21
I ride a zx14, i'm 6'2" @ 250lbs. I commute on my bike if the weather allows. I ride it hard on the weekends or evenings. If cruising i get about 37-42 mpg. The number goes down fast if your getting on it. Very comfortable seating position,plenty of leg room,very smooth motor and all the power you could want. B.T.W., gas prices was my excuse also. Also try state farm insurance. I pay about 600 a year,full coverage,31yrs old and it's the only vehicle on the policy.(would be cheaper if i added the other cars and house but use AAA for them)

hopeitsfast
04-22-2008, 17:23
I should add that my commute is about 200 miles round trip and i get about 5k miles on the rear tires and about 9-10k miles on the front.

waynewatson
04-22-2008, 18:15
I know that crotch rockets look fun, but something with a less aggressive riding position may be better suited for daily use.

BTW It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.:supergrin:

GixxerSixxer
04-22-2008, 18:51
I should add that my commute is about 200 miles round trip and i get about 5k miles on the rear tires and about 9-10k miles on the front.

Wow, that's got you filling up daily doesn't it?

waynewatson
04-22-2008, 22:12
I know that crotch rockets look fun, but something with a less aggressive riding position may be better suited for daily use.

BTW It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.:supergrin:

Black Cloud
04-23-2008, 02:33
Thanks for telling me about your bikes and experiences. Especially paul-s, and GixxerSixxer, who helped a lot. Also thanks GixxerSixxer, for knocking out 60% of my research. :wow:
I was looking into scooters, but occasionally, I might have the need for speed. I only live 10 miles from work, but want something I can take to the track on the weekends.

Thanks again,
Smitty

sixer
04-23-2008, 02:45
First off I know its not a crotch rocket. But have you considered the DRZ400 suppermotard. Bulletproof engine, good mpg, can be used on the track, fun to ride, and with a few small changes can be pretty quick.

fnfalman
04-23-2008, 09:08
but occasionally, I might have the need for speed. I only live 10 miles from work, but want something I can take to the track on the weekends.

Thanks again,
Smitty

Aprilia Tuono - plenty of power to do damage on the track, plenty of handling to run ring around the best Japanese sport bikes. Comfortable for daily grinds. With a set of saddlebags on, it will do touring duties. Bulletproof engine and excellent build quality unlike your typical Eye-tie products.

It ain't cheap. And the gas mileage sucks ass at around 32-MPG, but then she always cruises at around 90 or so.

If you want cheap commute, get a cheap, used bike. If you're going to buy a crotch rocket then get used to the fact that the maintenance is intensive and expensive, and so's the insurance.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/2007%20Tuono/VacationAPR07088.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/2007%20Tuono/2007Tuono002.jpg

ManNamedJed
04-23-2008, 16:16
Someone will probably recommend the SV-650 but it's a V-twin so it sucks gas. If you want a gas saver the SV won't be it no matter how awesome the bike is for a learner bike. I love the SV but that's its downside. The SV is great as a starter bike but with your criteria it won't fit well.

Uhm, my wifes SV650 gets 55mpg. What is your definition of good mileage? There are many advanced riders who love the SV, so its unfair to pigeonhole it as a starter bike.

GixxerSixxer
04-23-2008, 18:10
Uhm, my wifes SV650 gets 55mpg. What is your definition of good mileage? There are many advanced riders who love the SV, so its unfair to pigeonhole it as a starter bike.

Don't get all butt hurt because I said the SV was a starter bike. It's just like 9mm is the starter pistol round :tongueout:. Go to any sportbike forum and you'll find the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, GS500, and SV-650 are the most recommended starter sportbikes.

I'm not hating on the SV. It's a good capable bike. That's not to say it doesn't have its down sides. The suspension is weak and brakes aren't the greatest. If you're over 130lbs the SV has too soft of a suspension. There is a reason why SV racers swap out the suspension first thing. The SV also offers the Italian V-twin sound and feel at a cheap price. Lots of guy would jump at the opportunity to take a Ducati or Aprilia in a trade for their SV, so much for the loyalty.

It has torque in the low-end but lacks the top-end that 600cc I4's provide. It's a greater starter sportbike because of that. You don't have to rev it up and slip the clutch to do low speed parking lot moves. It also limits the max speed the user can get. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. It will teach the fundamentals and it's pretty forgiving when allowing learning to happen. Ultimately, many who want a sportbike want one for the speed and the speed provided by the SV is beaten by the I4 600cc bikes. So riders sell their SV, move from their starter bike and upgrade.

The fuel injected SV's benefited with better fuel economy the carb'd bikes aren't that hot. If all that's done is putter around sure the bike will get great gas mileage. Consistently over 45 MPG no matter how hard the riding is what I'd consider good gas mileage. The Ninja 250 WILL provide that. I can get 50 MPG on my GSX-R600 but I don't want to shift at 4K RPM and have to run through all the gears and be bogging the throttle. It's all how the bike is ridden. A male under 30yo isn't likely to keep the tach needle from touching the red often just for the thrill.

asu-g23
04-23-2008, 19:36
IMO you cant beat a honda VFR800 for comfort in a sport-"touring"( its a lot more sport oriented) bike
and the ins. is cheaper than a full on sport bike. I can keep up with all my buddies on their sport bikes through the twistys the might beat me on the strait but it just means the cop will be too busy with them to get me
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/asu-vfr/2008_03310022.jpg

357glocker
04-23-2008, 21:26
I have a Yamaha YZF600R that is more of a sport touring bike than an actual crotch rocket. It is very comfortable to commute on for me and has plenty of power to play with. It won't keep up with the liter bikes on the straight streches but I don't really care about that a whole lot.

If you want a bike strictly for economy I'd say your going to be disapointed. Extra payments unless you buy outright, but still you have the money into the bike. You have insurance, maintenance costs, yearly registration ($75 for mine in Nebraska other states usually not a big issue), riding gear and if you ride outside of commuting using that extra gas. Not trying to talk you out of bike and if you want one by all means have some fun it, just don't expect to save money is all I'm saying.

Black Cloud
04-23-2008, 22:45
First off I know its not a crotch rocket. But have you considered the DRZ400 suppermotard. Bulletproof engine, good mpg, can be used on the track, fun to ride, and with a few small changes can be pretty quick.
I will search it this afternoon, thanks.

I love the pictures of all these beautiful bikes. Keep them coming.

fnfalman
04-24-2008, 08:12
Let's start with budget and what your expectations are.

There are about a dozen different types of crotch rockets that cost anywhere between 8-grands and eighty-grands.

ManNamedJed
04-24-2008, 13:34
Don't get all butt hurt because I said the SV was a starter bike. It's just like 9mm is the starter pistol round :tongueout:. Go to any sportbike forum and you'll find the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, GS500, and SV-650 are the most recommended starter sportbikes.

I'm not hating on the SV. It's a good capable bike. That's not to say it doesn't have its down sides. The suspension is weak and brakes aren't the greatest. If you're over 130lbs the SV has too soft of a suspension. There is a reason why SV racers swap out the suspension first thing. The SV also offers the Italian V-twin sound and feel at a cheap price. Lots of guy would jump at the opportunity to take a Ducati or Aprilia in a trade for their SV, so much for the loyalty.

It has torque in the low-end but lacks the top-end that 600cc I4's provide. It's a greater starter sportbike because of that. You don't have to rev it up and slip the clutch to do low speed parking lot moves. It also limits the max speed the user can get. It's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. It will teach the fundamentals and it's pretty forgiving when allowing learning to happen. Ultimately, many who want a sportbike want one for the speed and the speed provided by the SV is beaten by the I4 600cc bikes. So riders sell their SV, move from their starter bike and upgrade.

The fuel injected SV's benefited with better fuel economy the carb'd bikes aren't that hot. If all that's done is putter around sure the bike will get great gas mileage. Consistently over 45 MPG no matter how hard the riding is what I'd consider good gas mileage. The Ninja 250 WILL provide that. I can get 50 MPG on my GSX-R600 but I don't want to shift at 4K RPM and have to run through all the gears and be bogging the throttle. It's all how the bike is ridden. A male under 30yo isn't likely to keep the tach needle from touching the red often just for the thrill.

Well the OP seems to be new to riding, and wants good gas mileage. You discourage him from an SV saying it gets poor mileage, which is untrue, then proceed to talk up the high end of a race bike. What is up with that? Are you also the guy who tells new shooters they MUST have a .45?

The SV is often called a starter bike and lumped in with the other models you mentioned. One big difference is, most SV riders do not outgrow their bikes in a year. My wife is 110lbs and was ready for something better after a year on a Ninja 250. She is thrilled with her SV and has no plans for anything different (and she did ride a wide variety of other bikes, including a some I4 600cc race bikes).

The suspension and brakes may not be up to the standards of of a true race bike, but they are more than sufficient for the average rider. Yes a lot of people upgrade them, but then again a lot of people put carbon fiber stickers on their bikes too.

To the OP - consider an SV650. Its a good all around sporty bike that is reliable and gets good mileage. If you develop some riding skills you will no problems hanging out with the racerboys.

xring04
04-24-2008, 16:15
I love my honda 919, and if my wife could do 300 mile + rides on the back I would love to keep it.

Bullet proof engine, 109 hp

Comfortable with excellent handling and brakes.

Mine is for sale.

http://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12246

Plus that is a great website with tons of info.

uzimon
04-24-2008, 20:52
I am currently researching different manufactures, and would like to know, which one would you recommend. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.
Also, what type of mileage would I get, if I drive one of these conservatively? Now that gas is getting so high, I have found a good excuse to get one (had to convince my wife).

Thanks,
Smitty
why get a "crotch rocket" to ride conservatively?
if you mean any jap bike, then the honda 919 or a kaw or yami w/o all the fairings (just make sure it's an inline 4cylinder) will fit the bill. they're called (or used to be called) universal japanese motorcycles.
if you get into it and start to like going fast, after a while get a real sport bike

uzimon
04-24-2008, 20:57
I ride a zx14, i'm 6'2" @ 250lbs. I commute on my bike if the weather allows. I ride it hard on the weekends or evenings. If cruising i get about 37-42 mpg. The number goes down fast if your getting on it. Very comfortable seating position,plenty of leg room,very smooth motor and all the power you could want. B.T.W., gas prices was my excuse also. Also try state farm insurance. I pay about 600 a year,full coverage,31yrs old and it's the only vehicle on the policy.(would be cheaper if i added the other cars and house but use AAA for them)

that's about what i pay for my busa, but i think they like that i've had a bike license for 20+ years and have a relatively good record

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg88/uzimon/764039918111_0_ALB.jpg

BlackPaladin
04-26-2008, 01:10
I love the look of the Honda CB 919! After looking at the pics of xring04's bike, I think I am going to call the dealership up and see if I can look at one in person. I ride a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r currently, and while it is fun to be top dog in terms of hp/speed, the bike constantly reminds you that it is willing to stick you into the ground in a moments notice. I would look into a nicely used Honda CBR 600 from the mid to late 90's. They were bulletproof and easy to ride. If you decide that you like crotch rockets, the CBR would be easy/quick to sell and move on up to newer/larger bike.

hopeitsfast
04-26-2008, 07:01
I love the look of the Honda CB 919! After looking at the pics of xring04's bike, I think I am going to call the dealership up and see if I can look at one in person. I ride a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r currently, and while it is fun to be top dog in terms of hp/speed, the bike constantly reminds you that it is willing to stick you into the ground in a moments notice. I would look into a nicely used Honda CBR 600 from the mid to late 90's. They were bulletproof and easy to ride. If you decide that you like crotch rockets, the CBR would be easy/quick to sell and move on up to newer/larger bike. I gotta agree about the cbr600's, i had a 600F3 and it was excellent and very bulletproof. I abused that bike so bad and nothing ever broke. Wish i would of kept it.

uzimon
04-26-2008, 07:05
I gotta agree about the cbr600's, i had a 600F3 and it was excellent and very bulletproof. I abused that bike so bad and nothing ever broke. Wish i would of kept it.

600s just lack top end.
if freeways are part of the ride, a 600 has no power to dice thru traffic, or accelerate ahead of somebody riding your ass, at least w/o downshifting.
a big motor has usable power in every gear, at every rmp:cool:

BlackPaladin
04-26-2008, 21:30
600s just lack top end.
if freeways are part of the ride, a 600 has no power to dice thru traffic, or accelerate ahead of somebody riding your ass, at least w/o downshifting.
a big motor has usable power in every gear, at every rmp:cool:

I owned a 2002 Yamaha R6 prior to the ZX10. The R6 was more fun to ride than I could have ever hoped for. I feel now that the ZX10 is too much bike, way more accessable power than I will ever need. The R6 felt just right to me, more than enough usable accelleration through any gear, and by no means slow in any way. During the R6 days, I commonly rode with guys that had custom built 40-50 k cruisers, with 100+ ci hot rodded motors. The R6 would walk all over these machines bone stock. I would say that unless Valentino Rossi was looking for a new rocket, a 600 cc Honda would be plenty-I stand my ground

uzimon
04-27-2008, 07:07
I owned a 2002 Yamaha R6 prior to the ZX10. The R6 was more fun to ride than I could have ever hoped for. I feel now that the ZX10 is too much bike, way more accessable power than I will ever need. The R6 felt just right to me, more than enough usable accelleration through any gear, and by no means slow in any way. During the R6 days, I commonly rode with guys that had custom built 40-50 k cruisers, with 100+ ci hot rodded motors. The R6 would walk all over these machines bone stock. I would say that unless Valentino Rossi was looking for a new rocket, a 600 cc Honda would be plenty-I stand my ground

cant compare cruisers and rockets.
"zx10 is too much bike" lol, try a busa or zx14:cool:
youre just not a serious speed freak, and thet's cool, it aint for everybody

Black Cloud
04-28-2008, 01:03
Let's start with budget and what your expectations are.

There are about a dozen different types of crotch rockets that cost anywhere between 8-grands and eighty-grands.

It depends, but lets say around 10,000 -.

Once again thanks for all the info, but Iím starting to rethink the whole bike thing. Iíve been talking to other bike owners, and they are talking me out of it. It really sounds like a lot of maintenance.:wow: Are cruiser a lot of maintenance as well, or less.

uzimon
04-28-2008, 05:19

Once again thanks for all the info, but I’m starting to rethink the whole bike thing. I’ve been talking to other bike owners, and they are talking me out of it. It really sounds like a lot of maintenance.:wow: Are cruiser a lot of maintenance as well, or less.
i had 2 busa's since 01, put 77k on them. the only maintenance was tires, batts, and brakes, chains last around 20k, depending on riding style (now they do need to be lubed weekly).
sporties have sticky tires, and they have to to stop quick and corner well, so therefore you only get between 3500-5k out of a rear tire. a front gets replaced for every 2nd tire. but brakes and oil is a do it yourself, really easy:wavey:

fnfalman
04-28-2008, 08:06

Once again thanks for all the info, but Iím starting to rethink the whole bike thing. Iíve been talking to other bike owners, and they are talking me out of it. It really sounds like a lot of maintenance.:wow: Are cruiser a lot of maintenance as well, or less.

It all depends. If you were to want your vehicle to stay well tuned then yes, maintenance is expensive. If you don't give a damn and run it into the ground, then no, it's not expensive to maintain.

Are cruisers a lot of maintenance as well? I don't know. I haven't owned one in fifteen years and that one didn't last a year. I do know that cruiser tires last a lot longer because they aren't the soft compounds that other motorcycles use for tires.

357glocker
04-28-2008, 09:44
All the Harley guys I ride with have 10k maintenance intervals, but I hear to have it done at the shop is some $$$'s. I'm not sure what the Jap cruisers are like for maintenance. I just changed the rear tire on my YZF600R at 8900 miles. I probably rode it longer than I should have but I stretched it out.
If you are somewhat mechanically inclined you can work on your own bike or learn how to very easy. The shop wanted over $100 to change rear brakes, I did it myself for $37. The majority of bike maintenance will be easy things like oil changes, chain and cable lube/clean/adjust, brakes and tires. The big ones that I won't mess with are things like the valve adjustments (on my bike is every 26k miles) but they can be done at home as well if you know what you are doing. The local dealer that I bring my bike to has a maintenance program that costs $1000 up front but they take care of ALL scheduled maintenance per the manual for 3yrs or 36k miles. It includes unlimited oil changes, 10% discount on parts, free tire mounts and balancing as well as a couple other perks so I think it's worth the price as I'll use it to almost full potential by riding close to 10k/yr. Each scheduled maintenance (4k for my bike) would normally run $150-400 depending what needed to be done.
So to answer you question, yes it can be expensive! If you want to ride don't do it for economical reasons, you'll be dissapointed. I figured it out that it will cost me about $700 in gas to ride 10k on my bike at $3.50/gallon. It will cost about $1300 to drive 10k in my colbalt. So I save $600 in gas/10k miles by riding the bike instead of the car. In that 10k (1yr time frame) I spend $120 for rear tire another $100 for a front if needed, $300 for insurance, $1800 bike payments, not to mention the little pieces of gear or accessories I pick up.

ddc
04-28-2008, 11:20
I second the notion of doing much of your routine maintenance yourself.

Purchase the factory service manual (not the little brochure that comes with the bike) and one or two of the aftermarket equivalent manuals from Haynes or Clymer to give you some perspective.

As pointed out much of the routine maintenace is easily performed by even a novice mechanic.

Plus when you do it yourself you learn how your bike works and you just might have half a clue what to do when you are out in the middle of nowhere and something goes wrong.

The bottom line is that most of us aren't riding bikes to save money.

uzimon
04-28-2008, 18:59
I just changed the rear tire on my YZF600R at 8900 miles. :wow:
thats unbelievable, must not ride it very hard huh?

Dandapani
04-28-2008, 19:17
IMO you cant beat a honda VFR800 for comfort in a sport-"touring"( its a lot more sport oriented) bike
and the ins. is cheaper than a full on sport bike. I can keep up with all my buddies on their sport bikes through the twistys the might beat me on the strait but it just means the cop will be too busy with them to get me

How are those $800 valve adjustments working out for you? :rofl: :tongueout::wavey:

357glocker
04-28-2008, 19:33
:wow:
thats unbelievable, must not ride it very hard huh?

No I don't feel the need to all that often. I've had some fun on her though! I was pretty past due as I had a strip of cord showing in the center:whistling: I put on a BT021 from Bridgstone, hopefully I can get another 8-9k on this one!

BlackPaladin
04-28-2008, 22:42
cant compare cruisers and rockets.
"zx10 is too much bike" lol, try a busa or zx14:cool:
youre just not a serious speed freak, and thet's cool, it aint for everybody

Aww that's not fair:cool: for a good rider, the track times for the ZX-10 are actually better than the Busa. 1/4 mile times stock for stock between the 10 and the ZX-14 are so close it would come down to rider. Where the 14 excells is in the parts added later on:wow: I enjoy my 10, I just don't do the circle track riding. It has however been on the straight track, and did very well:tongueout:

BlackPaladin
04-28-2008, 22:44
i had 2 busa's since 01, put 77k on them. the only maintenance was tires, batts, and brakes, chains last around 20k, depending on riding style (now they do need to be lubed weekly).
sporties have sticky tires, and they have to to stop quick and corner well, so therefore you only get between 3500-5k out of a rear tire. a front gets replaced for every 2nd tire. but brakes and oil is a do it yourself, really easy:wavey:

Will agree here 100% I actually look forward to doing my bike maintenance. Really not too difficult mostly good times!

uzimon
04-29-2008, 05:07
Aww that's not fair:cool: for a good rider, the track times for the ZX-10 are actually better than the Busa. 1/4 mile times stock for stock between the 10 and the ZX-14 are so close it would come down to rider. Where the 14 excells is in the parts added later on:wow: I enjoy my 10, I just don't do the circle track riding. It has however been on the straight track, and did very well:tongueout:

yea the busa is a 1/4 mile bike, and fwy flyer. also great for passengers. definately not a circle track bike.
i almost got a 10 this last time, but its too cramped for me

LUNG-G19
04-29-2008, 06:31
Ducati monster, check them out. They can be had at a reasonable price. I have had 3. From as little to as much as you want to spend. I paid 8300 otd for a new 2005 s2r 800. Below is a pic of my 2004 S4R bout used for 9k from cali had it shipped to me for 500 bucks. The S4R has the 996 motor.

The maint isn't cheap unless you buy a 06 or newer or do it your self. Ducati cut the maint in half on newer bikes.

Just do it your self. The monster is a standard bike. Not a cruiser or crotch rocket. Decent gas mileage to boot with dump truck loads of torque.

Check out some of these used bikes to get an idea on what they cost. Good luck to you.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/board,23.0.html

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/Cromer77/LuNg%20S4R/Picture207.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j208/Cromer77/LuNg%20S4R/Picture178.jpg

ZZR guy
05-04-2008, 21:49
I'd be hard pressed to find anything today to replace my 1997 Kawasaki ZX11, except maybe the new 1400 Kawa tourer. I have 13,700 miles on mine, and I'm on my 3rd battery in 11 years, second set of tires (I got over 10,000 miles on both front and rear tire), my chain is still perfect, and it gets between 44 and 52 miles per gallon, and I have not spent a dime on repairs on the bike. Tune-ups yes, I just had the carburetors cleaned and rebuilt because I don't get the time to drive it much. But honestly, I have not had to replace a single part that broke by itself, or even a blown fuse or bulb. I would not trade it for any of these crocth rockets now at the dealers. The ZX11 is a bike that you could easily do 500 or more miles per day and be comfortable.

I know one bike the ZZR1200, but it is a updated ZX-11 :supergrin:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/zzrguy/IMG_0316.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/zzrguy/MyZZR1200.jpg

Gonzoso
05-06-2008, 16:27
You really don't save much money now. When gas is 7$ a gallon you will save a lot of money. If you pay for maintenance you will never save money. Buy the bike with cash. Buy it in the winter time.

When bills are due the first thing to get sold is the bike. I got my 2001 Suzuki Marauder with 11,000 on it for 2k$, which is 2k under blue book. It came with a coat and helmet that fit me perfectly, pipes, jetted, saddle bags, and newish tires.

But you won't be giving your money to the oil companies. That is what I like. I would rather give it to other Americans and help the economy than to give it to some corporate fronted sponsor of terrorism.