u can hate me now [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : u can hate me now

FLuXmr2spyder
04-22-2008, 00:24
...in other words my new Daily Driver...

2008 Toyota Prius Package 6 Touring

obvious reason to purchasing the prius: gas is only getting more expensive
not so obvious reason: i drive an average of about 100miles/day
why touring: need nav and BT, HID, leather is a must, suspension/wheel tire combo cus i do mostly freeway driving for the extra stability, all other options are a good extra but not necessary
why super white: i love the color red on cars, but since the red on the prius is not red enough, white is my second fav color on cars...easy to maintain, timeless, and blends in
replaces daily driving duties of my 07 caddy ext which gets 14.8MPG combined on 20"wheels with all terrain tires

was also looking into a smart car, but i dont need another 2seater, especially for the J O B

just purchased 3/27/08, took most of the day, from a trade of my 05 scion xa, and want to give Cerritos Toyota some props for helping me pull it off!!!

so far with mostly freeway driving and avg speed of about 70-75mph im getting about 42+mpg

some mods:
just got it tinted
added starshield clearbra
LED interior lights
yellow fog lights
removed hub caps
more to follow

questions, comments, suggestions and even JOKES are always welcome

thanx for looking
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/fluxmr2spyder/IMG_0080.jpg

ranger88
04-24-2008, 14:18
Good for you, I say. My ex-wife has one and they are actually surprisingly decent to drive. Be careful not to spend too much time looking at the display screen. It becomes an obsession to try to get better and better mileage. Like some kind of sick and twisted game. Hahaha...

FLuXmr2spyder
04-25-2008, 02:02
Good for you, I say. My ex-wife has one and they are actually surprisingly decent to drive. Be careful not to spend too much time looking at the display screen. It becomes an obsession to try to get better and better mileage. Like some kind of sick and twisted game. Hahaha...

yea ive seen some others avg about 60mpg :supergrin:

currently my avg is 42+mpg 90% freeway driving at 70+mph

alwaysshootin
04-25-2008, 03:50
questions, comments, suggestions and even JOKES are always welcome

I guess they went with the name Prius, because there is no space on the vehicle big enough to go with their original name. Dorkmobile! :)

FLuXmr2spyder
04-25-2008, 12:46
haha thats a new one :supergrin:

alwaysshootin
04-25-2008, 21:39
100,000 comedians out of work, and I'm trying to be funny. Won't quit my day job!

filthy infidel
04-27-2008, 14:46
I have three words for you.

I HATE YOU.

I love my Yukon, but in my driving locale (and gunning her like a little ole' lady) I get 14.7 MPG.

However, I do ride a bicycle to work, and at infinite MPG and a trip distance of 1.5 MPG I clean your clock handily!

FLuXmr2spyder
05-02-2008, 02:21
I have three words for you.

I HATE YOU.

I love my Yukon, but in my driving locale (and gunning her like a little ole' lady) I get 14.7 MPG.

However, I do ride a bicycle to work, and at infinite MPG and a trip distance of 1.5 MPG I clean your clock handily!

i hear ya on that, my caddy was doing 14.8avg so that sits on the driveway most of the time now

i would bike to work if i could, but avg driving of 100miles/day no thanx, i dont even think mr schwinn freakin armostrong can do that either LOL :tongueout::supergrin:

JimK
05-04-2008, 09:38
Congrats on the new ride. I like a white car also. How did you like that Scion XA ? And did you get a chance to drive the XA replacement the XD ? Also I hear the the better mileage on a Prius is around town when the electric motor is running more than the gas engine .

FLuXmr2spyder
05-04-2008, 23:47
Congrats on the new ride. I like a white car also. How did you like that Scion XA ? And did you get a chance to drive the XA replacement the XD ? Also I hear the the better mileage on a Prius is around town when the electric motor is running more than the gas engine .

i liked the xA a lot, it was just getting over used already so i had to replace it

i drove a friends xD, drives better than the xA, more space, but it gets worse MPG than the 1st generation model

yea the Prius is advertised with 48mpg city and 45mpg hwy

Rabbi
05-06-2008, 13:17
I dont hate you...but I wish more people would drive them...it will make gas a tad cheaper in the long run for people like me :)

Drive it in the best of health!

TommyGlock
05-06-2008, 14:17
What does your husband drive?

bac1023
05-06-2008, 16:17
Congrats.:thumbsup:

I should have bought a hybrid.

FLuXmr2spyder
05-07-2008, 02:30
What does your husband drive?
LOL that was good!!! :tongueout:

Jeep Thing
05-07-2008, 11:25
You should be better than 42mpg's, my wifes 03 VW Jetta TDI get 48-50 consistantly.

FLuXmr2spyder
05-07-2008, 13:08
You should be better than 42mpg's, my wifes 03 VW Jetta TDI get 48-50 consistantly.

if i granny drive it, i have a lead foot, and cruise fwy 90% of the time at around 75-80mph LOL

the hybrids get 48mpg city and 45hwy its backwards unlike conventional cars

jaysyl
05-07-2008, 13:32
if i granny drive it, i have a lead foot, and cruise fwy 90% of the time at around 75-80mph LOL

the hybrids get 48mpg city and 45hwy its backwards unlike conventional cars

09 hybrids only 45mpg??? My 1990 Geo metro with 100k miles was getting 40-42 around town and 45-48 on the hwy. Wish now I would have dropped the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump,when it went out:crying:

You would think an 08 car would be a lot better with fuel than a 1990 car. Of course if you are doing 100 miles a day, you would want nothing to do with that Geo.

FLuXmr2spyder
05-07-2008, 21:30
09 hybrids only 45mpg??? My 1990 Geo metro with 100k miles was getting 40-42 around town and 45-48 on the hwy. Wish now I would have dropped the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump,when it went out:crying:

You would think an 08 car would be a lot better with fuel than a 1990 car. Of course if you are doing 100 miles a day, you would want nothing to do with that Geo.

yea tru haha the Prius not only is pretty good on gas, but it has quite a few bells and whistles your Geo dont got, LOL hehe :rofl:

on a serious note tho, its a great car, this is the 1st time i purchased a car that was somewhat close to being useful and economical at the same time

DriBak
05-23-2008, 09:44
I am in the market for a VW TDI, all I can find are the Beetles and that is for women and metrosexuals. The prius is just too UGLY.

FLuXmr2spyder
05-23-2008, 10:46
smart v prius v tdi v focus -enjoy!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/46nMnCt75qI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46nMnCt75qI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

alwaysshootin
05-23-2008, 13:46
smart v prius v tdi v focus -enjoy!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/46nMnCt75qI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/46nMnCt75qI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

You know, that is kind of informative, and it is good in the end when it is suggested, to test and evaluate on your own. The one problem I see in this evaluation, as is usually the case, is the initial investment. That truly plays into how much it costs you annually to drive a particular vehicle. Not to mention the discomfort of being seen in a couple of those offerings! :supergrin:

FLuXmr2spyder
05-24-2008, 13:58
^agree 100% these are all objective, its up to the consumer if it works for them subjectively

Javelin
05-24-2008, 14:06
I want to be green. I just cannot see myself driving any of those.

FThorn
05-29-2008, 10:34
I just bought a used Prius. 55 mpg average so far. Under $10,000 and it looks brand spanking new.

FLuXmr2spyder
05-29-2008, 13:26
I just bought a used Prius. 55 mpg average so far. Under $10,000 and it looks brand spanking new.

sounds like a great deal, what year did u pick up?

my GFs friend just purchased a 2005 package6 with carpool stickers for $29K (i thought the price was quite high)

slumpmaster
06-08-2008, 05:24
29k is very high.

My wife's 2005 package 4 set me back 25,000 brand new.

My buddies all laughed at me, now they are looking at getting them also.

My only regret is that there was only one to buy at the dealership that day.

FLuXmr2spyder
06-11-2008, 04:08
yeap now my mom and gf wants one (each)

perado
07-04-2008, 18:25
Have any of you priced out replacement batteries?

And, for those who are wanting to be "green," have you looked into what it takes to make those batteries, much less what happens to them when they die?

Just curious.

FLuXmr2spyder
07-05-2008, 03:08
batteries cant be replaced til you recycle the old ones, the car is fairly new but it can cost about $6500 but toyota covers it for 100K miles

been lots of myths out there on how bad a prius is...even saying that a Hummer is better in its life span than a prius ... who ever beleives that is a total whacko IMO

figure after the fuel cost go past $5 the difference in paying for replacement batteries would be a non issue after a few years of gas savings at an avg of about 45mpg and i drive about 100miles/day

paynter2
07-05-2008, 09:34
batteries cant be replaced til you recycle the old ones, the car is fairly new but it can cost about $6500 but toyota covers it for 100K miles

been lots of myths out there on how bad a prius is...even saying that a Hummer is better in its life span than a prius ... who ever beleives that is a total whacko IMO

figure after the fuel cost go past $5 the difference in paying for replacement batteries would be a non issue after a few years of gas savings at an avg of about 45mpg and i drive about 100miles/day

I read the story of the Hummer - I don't recall the specifics, but all things considered I'd rather be driving a Prius than a Hummer (at least for everyday use). I like the idea of the Prius for commuting. I do wonder about the batteries in -40F weather - but I haven't read anything negative about that.

The 300K mile payoff for a Prius over a Corolla or Civic would lead me to a the latter. I drive 20K miles a year. That's 15 years before the Prius would pay off for me. Hell, in the next 5 years the Prius will be obsolete - not unwanted, just not state-of-the-art.

FLuXmr2spyder
07-05-2008, 20:15
15yr payoff is kinna far off, theres a chart here:
video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46nMnCt75qI

chart:
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/PJ-AM572_pjHYBR_20080611230314.gif

payoff is a weird thing, since the hybrid was released everyones been talking payoff, people are buying hummers without any payoff arguments, so i dont even really give a crap about the so called "payoff"

paynter2
07-06-2008, 16:59
15yr payoff is kinna far off, theres a chart here:
video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46nMnCt75qI

chart:

payoff is a weird thing, since the hybrid was released everyones been talking payoff, people are buying hummers without any payoff arguments, so i dont even really give a crap about the so called "payoff"

That's right - everyone is talking payoff. And, every hybrid owner is ignoring the math that backs it (payoff talk) up.

Considering that a Prius is about $10K more than a Corolla lets start with the 10K. There's opportunity cost and interest. At 8%, that $800/year or 200 gallons of gas. The new Corolla gets 35 mpg. That means you get 7000 miles of gas per year (at $4/gal) just in the interest savings - PER YEAR!

The payoff, as I stated above, is north of 300K miles at $4 gas. Sorry, that's just the math.

I hear wild stories about 60mph Prius. I have a friend who gets between 45-50mpg. I get 40 with my 2001 Corolla - over and over and over.

As I stated - the math is there. Believe what you want. But 2+2 is 4 and will always be 4. The payoff for a Prius over a Corolla or Civic is 300K+ at current gas prices. Believe what you want.

if you insist, I'll do the math for you - you should be able to do it yourself.

M1 SUPER 90
07-06-2008, 21:47

I just don't think I could sink $6500 into a car that has over 100K on it. I guess I could see it if it was a complete power train and engine, but just for batteries??

What happens when you drop big $$ on batteries and the engine takes a crap? :dunno:

FLuXmr2spyder
07-07-2008, 03:44
correction batteries are under $3K parts and labor

but there has been prius taxis that has reached 250K+miles with out any hiccups

payoff is really BS, cus if you want to buy a mercedes benz over a corolla, you wouldnt even think about "payoff"

whats the payoff of your last gun purchase??? compared if you just bought a cheaper model that does the same thing???

im not saying it doesnt exist, but it seems like people didnt give a **** til the hybrids came out...and for what, a corolla is no where near as equipped as a prius nor does it even have the same capacity

hybrids are not all the same, the prius is the best one and as far as even reliabilty not even a corolla or civc comes close as far as reliability is concerned

bottom line is "payoff" talk is BS, yes it exist but noone gives a crap except ones who werent gonna buy a hybrid anyways or cant really afford it LOL

pls read attachments for more negative myths busted about hybrids

Big Time
07-07-2008, 03:49
I'll stick with my Honda Civic, 30mpg in town,36mpg highway.:tongueout:

paynter2
07-07-2008, 09:28
correction batteries are under $3K parts and labor

but there has been prius taxis that has reached 250K+miles with out any hiccups

payoff is really BS, cus if you want to buy a mercedes benz over a corolla, you wouldnt even think about "payoff"

whats the payoff of your last gun purchase??? compared if you just bought a cheaper model that does the same thing???

im not saying it doesnt exist, but it seems like people didnt give a **** til the hybrids came out...and for what, a corolla is no where near as equipped as a prius nor does it even have the same capacity

hybrids are not all the same, the prius is the best one and as far as even reliabilty not even a corolla or civc comes close as far as reliability is concerned

bottom line is "payoff" talk is BS, yes it exist but noone gives a crap except ones who werent gonna buy a hybrid anyways or cant really afford it LOL

pls read attachments for more negative myths busted about hybrids

I read your links. Payoff may or may not be of interest to you. But, it does exist. If economy is your goal - and why the hell else would you buy a Prius or Corolla or Civic? - then it will take you 300k+ miles to break even with the Prius over the Corolla or Civic.

A fully loaded Civic will be about $10K less than a Prius. That money plus the interest on that money can be spent on gas for the Corolla. Since the Prius gets about 13mpg more than the Corolla, figure the payback on the $10K + interest with a 13mpg gas savings.

"There is no one so blind as he who will not see..."

P.S. What options does the fully loaded Prius have that a fully loaded Corolla doesn't (except a Yaris engine)?

FLuXmr2spyder
07-07-2008, 13:06
payoff does exist, but not only towards a prius as mentioned before, if all you did was buy the cheapest available item that you need all the time then preach to me about payoff and money saved and what not

but in everything we do, payoff applies, just not sure why its such a big deal for the prius

as far as options, to name a few: leather, bluetooth, navigation, stab and trac control, HID lighting, voice command, a very accessible hatchback, more cargo and passenger capacity, the prius is actually closer in size to the camry than the corolla, civic, yaris versa etc. the hybrid system that as stated gets considerably more MPG than a corolla

bottom line is everyone has a choice of what they want to drive, id rather drive the prius over a civic or corolla, for than just the gas mileage reasons...payoff isnt really a big deal as most people mentions it to be

it doesnt take 300K miles to payoff as stated by a study done by professionals
as per ths chart

Bill Powell
07-12-2008, 00:31
The cost of driving the Prius, based on the 100,000 mile expected life expectancy of the car is 3.26 per mile.
Cost per mile on the demon from hell, the Hummer, is 1.91 per mile over the life of the car.
The Toyota Scion is calculated to be about .41 cents per mile driven, and the new Chevy econo machine is .39 cents per mile based on the life of the car.
The place in Canada where the Prius batteries are made is suffering an enviromental hell from acid rain caused by the sulphur dioxide in the air

FLuXmr2spyder
07-12-2008, 03:41
^sources?

ljnowell
07-24-2008, 22:59

The prius is not designed to get better mileage on the highway. It would not surprise me that you could get better mileage with something else. I am willing to bet your metro wasnt getting 50 miles to the gallon in the city though, its not unheard of with a prius.

Have any of you priced out replacement batteries?

And, for those who are wanting to be "green," have you looked into what it takes to make those batteries, much less what happens to them when they die?

Just curious.

I work for toyota. I couldnt tell you the last time that we replaced a battery assembly on a hybrid. Not once since I have worked for them, thats over a year. They are a well made item. There are cars out there with well over 250K that havent had battery problems.

jaysyl
07-24-2008, 23:35
ijnowell

If you read my post It says I got 40 to 42 aroud town when I got rid of the car. The car had over 100000 miles on it when I got this 40 to 42.

This was a 1990 car, 50 miles per gallon around town in 2009 is nothing to be proud of.:wow: Please tell me this golf cart(Prius) will get at least 40 mpg the high way.

FLuXmr2spyder
07-25-2008, 04:08
ijnowell

If you read my post It says I got 40 to 42 aroud town when I got rid of the car. The car had over 100000 miles on it when I got this 40 to 42.

This was a 1990 car, 50 miles per gallon around town in 2009 is nothing to be proud of.:wow: Please tell me this golf cart(Prius) will get at least 40 mpg the high way.

last night i traveled over 50miles and averaged 44mpg, with A/C on a cool 73deg, radio on, plush leather, satellite navigation and bluetooth hands free built in to the car, nuff said

pruis is one of the MOST reliable car in the market now, not just for a Hybrid but overall!!!

jaysyl
07-25-2008, 18:22
I am glad you like your car. There are alot of them on the road. My geo had no AC for the last 30000 miles, I worked graveyard so it was not to bad to drive in the summer. I did not drive it during the day time here in Vegas during the summer.

FLuXmr2spyder
07-28-2008, 02:51
I am glad you like your car. There are alot of them on the road. My geo had no AC for the last 30000 miles, I worked graveyard so it was not to bad to drive in the summer. I did not drive it during the day time here in Vegas during the summer.

that would not be good...in a Geo in Vegas in Summer...:wavey:

BManoftheyear
08-03-2008, 10:43
I am sure the batteries would be expensive to replace if it wasn't under the warranty.
You talk about savings and payoff with the prius.You don't want to talk about collision damage.I work at a automotive recycling plant(glorified chop shop,nice indoor junkyard)
I have seen a few wrecked prius and they get ****ed up bad in collisions.

We have 10 batteries at work out of hybrids.THey sell them back to the MFG when the cars come in wrecked.I wouldn't get caught dead in a prius.I don't feel safe.

My safety feeling is worth more te me then getting 9million miles per gallon so I keep driving my 85 olds delta 88 12mpg 350v8 man car and feel safe.
Congrats on the hybrid they are worth it if you drive alot,but you can get a non hybrid which can get close to the same MPG for less.

doublebarrel2
08-03-2008, 20:24
you can keep your prius.I got a used VW Beetle TDI for $6900 and average 45 mpg.The TDI will still be going strong when the Prius is in the scrapyard and I can work on it myself.By the way,nobody makes fun of the tattooed 280 pounder in the Beetle!

FLuXmr2spyder
08-05-2008, 13:28
^at least not in front of your face...im pretty sure some people had said things under their breath

very little maintenance needed for a prius LOL

it takes 87octane which is like a full dollar (at least) cheaper than diesel

45 mpg aint bad tho

Get_Zwole
08-22-2008, 22:38
is that your lotus as well? if so elise exige? cant tell from the pic nice car if it is ;)

FLuXmr2spyder
08-23-2008, 03:31
yea haha its mine 2007 exige S with mods LOL

Get_Zwole
08-23-2008, 12:58
sick man love the exige one of my favorite cars.:cool:

FLuXmr2spyder
08-23-2008, 22:43
thanx!