"Minesweeper" school [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Minesweeper" school

Biscuitsjam
04-23-2008, 10:48
My training NCO is trying to send me to a "minesweeper school" that lasts 2-3 weeks. Does anybody know what this is? All I could find online were references to video games and naval ships.

Sapperstang
04-27-2008, 07:15
I was a combat engineer and have never heard of that school. I did a hell of a lot fo mine sweeping but didn't know there was a specific school. Maybe it is called something else?

pesticidal
04-27-2008, 07:49
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/pesticidal/funny/minesweeper.jpg

Biscuitsjam
04-27-2008, 12:28
I was a combat engineer and have never heard of that school. I did a hell of a lot fo mine sweeping but didn't know there was a specific school. Maybe it is called something else?That's the name my training NCO used over the telephone. I'm guessing they shortened the official name somehow. We're headed to Afghanistan (as cavalry scouts), so I was wondering if it might have something to do with all the minefields over there.

They really wanted to sign me until they saw there was a conflict with another school I'm talking. (that other school has since been rescheduled, but they haven't called me back about this "minesweeper" one)

eisman
05-23-2008, 19:51
Stay away from the minesweeper stuff.

A really good school to have over there is the AF loadmaster school. You can do it, i've sent over a dozen of my guys. You'll end up on the flight line, but it beats a lot of the other jobs. It's a 2 week school too, so it's good for points and college credits.

deadday
05-23-2008, 20:06
My training NCO is trying to send me to a "minesweeper school" that lasts 2-3 weeks. Does anybody know what this is? All I could find online were references to video games and naval ships.

A lot of low-crawling with non-metallic probes....Some training with detection equipment....Long hours of indentification classes, and DEATH BY POWER POINT!!!

It's a 'gentlemens course' not much screaming, mild PT, generally 0800-1700 with a couple 2-3 day FTXs...

But pay attention, going where you're headed, knowing this stuff could save you and your unit...There is TONS of random, degrading ordinance all over that ****hole...

drew

V12
05-23-2008, 20:16
That's the name my training NCO used over the telephone. I'm guessing they shortened the official name somehow. We're headed to Afghanistan (as cavalry scouts), so I was wondering if it might have something to do with all the minefields over there.

They really wanted to sign me until they saw there was a conflict with another school I'm talking. (that other school has since been rescheduled, but they haven't called me back about this "minesweeper" one)

Privates make good minesweepers. :supergrin:

:wavey: From a fellow (ex) 19D

deadday
05-23-2008, 20:22
Privates make good minesweepers. :supergrin:

:wavey: From a fellow (ex) 19D

You mean kinda like the old Polish minesweepers? Walk around with your fingers in your ear and stomping your feet?

drew

nothing
05-25-2008, 23:40
Check your PM's

Biscuitsjam
06-09-2008, 19:12
Thanks nothing. By the way, it sounds like I'm not going to that school after all (shucks). Someone else is going instead.

deadday
06-09-2008, 20:20
Thanks nothing. By the way, it sounds like I'm not going to that school after all (shucks). Someone else is going instead.

I'm not sure of the rank requirements any more (I think it used to be E6+), but now that you're a Scout you should try to get a slot at Pathfinder...Especially since you're headed to the stan..

drew

Biscuitsjam
06-09-2008, 20:31
Unfortunately, I turned down pathfinder when they offered it to me before (I would have had to drop out of school because it was mid-semester). I doubt they'll offer it to me again...

nothing
06-16-2008, 17:02
Unfortunately, I turned down pathfinder when they offered it to me before (I would have had to drop out of school because it was mid-semester). I doubt they'll offer it to me again...

Only 10% of coded pathfinder slots are filled with qualified pathfinders in the national guard. Your chances might not be too bad. Academically it is the the hardest course I've ever taken, military or civilian. There were a couple of E-5's and E-4's from 48th BCT when I went in May. I think they were all 19D.

Sapperstang
06-26-2008, 16:39
Must be something new. We went to Afghanistan but didn't take this school. Like I said I have never heard of it. But, take every school you can get no matter what it is.

bennwj
07-03-2008, 14:48

There is an IED defeat course at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. I think he may be talking about that. At the course you will be taught how to use the HUSKY mine detection vehicle and the BUFFALO mine resistant vehicle.

After that you can go to EOCA (I think that is the acronym) It stands for Explosive Ordanance Clearance Agent. Basically there are way to many IED's for EOD to be able to neutralize every one. This course will teach you (if you can pass it) how to safely detonate them and collect evidence.

Go to the Ft. Leonard Wood Website and look up the info.

deadday
07-05-2008, 13:06
There is an IED defeat course at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. I think he may be talking about that. At the course you will be taught how to use the HUSKY mine detection vehicle and the BUFFALO mine resistant vehicle.

After that you can go to EOCA (I think that is the acronym) It stands for Explosive Ordanance Clearance Agent. Basically there are way to many IED's for EOD to be able to neutralize every one. This course will teach you (if you can pass it) how to safely detonate them and collect evidence.

Go to the Ft. Leonard Wood Website and look up the info.

IED clearance= standoff, shoot the damned thing with a .50cal and move on..if that doesn't work, send one of your ANA or ING/INP/whatever to go disarm it. Chances are he or his buddies set the damned thing anyways.. :whistling:

drew