Can anyone tell me about the Pittsburgh Area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about the Pittsburgh Area?

Magicmanmb
04-23-2008, 11:52
Have a chance to purchase a house in City at a very reasonable price needs some work but not a lot. How are they on CCW, crime rate seems to match or be better than where we are. No job offer there but have one Southern WV.

But looking for better school area for my son 5th grader. Wife is from the Poconos but never been to western PA.

deutscheglocker
04-23-2008, 18:23
Have a chance to purchase a house in City at a very reasonable price needs some work but not a lot. How are they on CCW, crime rate seems to match or be better than where we are. No job offer there but have one Southern WV.

But looking for better school area for my son 5th grader. Wife is from the Poconos but never been to western PA.

I just happened to be on here and saw your post.
You may get quite a few more responses by going to the Pennsylvania Firearm owners association or Pafoa (http://www.pafoa.org/).

No cost to register and is mostly Pa specific.

A question I would have is what part of the city you might be moving to as the city and surrounding suburbs are pretty diverse.

deutscheglocker

Edit to add. Since I no longer receive emails from GlockTalk, I would not get a response or questions from you emailed to me. If you get over to Pafoa, you could ask your questions of a few dozen Pittsburgh members or PM me (27hand).

Magicmanmb
04-23-2008, 18:48
It's listed as being on lombard street,

esv
04-23-2008, 18:51
I agree with the previous post. The city neighborhood is the crucial factor. Some are great with good schools, while others are much less desirable and the schools equally bad. In general, the surrounding suburbs will have much better schools.

All that being said, being born and raised on the "Northside" (the Yuppies call it the North Shore now), the "Burgh" is still a great place to live and generally the folks are far more friendly than most cities I've been to and lived in.

Most importantly, there are some great gun clubs in the area, inhabited by some of the finest folks you would ever want to meet.

Bert.40
04-24-2008, 09:23
I agree with the previous post. The city neighborhood is the crucial factor. Some are great with good schools, while others are much less desirable and the schools equally bad. In general, the surrounding suburbs will have much better schools.

All that being said, being born and raised on the "Northside" (the Yuppies call it the North Shore now), the "Burgh" is still a great place to live and generally the folks are far more friendly than most cities I've been to and lived in.

Most importantly, there are some great gun clubs in the area, inhabited by some of the finest folks you would ever want to meet.

I thought Yuppies referred to it as the "Burgh". In my day nobody called it the "burgh". Off subject. The right suburb is the key. There's no attractions that draw me to the City. Save it for the young kids. Traffic, parking, and Allegheny County taxes are a drawback. Great gun clubs and shooting competitions each week is a plus. Research the neighborhood.

Magicmanmb
04-24-2008, 11:39
The real estate agent said it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, we all know what that's worth. Looked in some of the suburbs the crime rate was higher in some than in the city, regular taxes were great at $750.00 but the school tax of $3500.00 is what killed that deal. Taxes on the property were total of $850.00 in the city

Bert.40
04-24-2008, 13:49
Try Butler county, Beaver County, or even Westmoreland County. They are close enough to the City for your city life. Good neighborhoods and schools. Some better tax prices. Even Washington County has a plus. What age bracket are you in and are you looking for a career or self employed?

esv
04-24-2008, 15:47
Some good suggestions from Bert.40, but don't forget Washington Co. as a good possibility for affordable housing. All of the adjoining counties are within a comfortable commute to the City.

BTW Bert.40, when Allegheny High played Fifth Avenue High for the Section Championship in 1960 our Allegheny's school posters proclaimed it as the "Burg Bowl." Now if you can predate a 1961 high school graduation date, I will concede my "Geezer's" status to you:kidding::kidding:

Magicmanmb
04-24-2008, 16:07
43 took medical retirement due to back injury (9 ruptured discs) Dr.s down here only wanted to fuse my neck worse than before surgery. Wife is 48 looking to go back into banking or similar office type she hates retail. Possibly do something working for myself. (you can only watch so much tv)

Bert.40
04-24-2008, 17:27
Some good suggestions from Bert.40, but don't forget Washington Co. as a good possibility for affordable housing. All of the adjoining counties are within a comfortable commute to the City.

BTW Bert.40, when Allegheny High played Fifth Avenue High for the Section Championship in 1960 our Allegheny's school posters proclaimed it as the "Burg Bowl." Now if you can predate a 1961 high school graduation date, I will concede my "Geezer's" status to you:kidding::kidding:

Okay geezer; in '61 I was too busy doing homework and the comic section was the only part of the paper I read.

LittleRedToyota
04-28-2008, 12:36
i love living in pittsburgh...i mean in the city, not the suburbs. i love being able to walk, rather than having to drive, to do just about anything...especially with the rising cost of gas.

there are a lot of nice suburbs, too, though if that is more what you are looking for.

most of the city itself is quite safe...as are most of the suburbs. i currently live in lawrenceville (city neighborhood just up river from the strip district). i have lived in many other city neighborhoods, though...squirrel hill was my favorite, though i also like l-ville. shadyside was prolly my least favorite (though it is considered by many to be the most affluent neighborhood in the city).

i don't have kids, so i can't really guide you on the schools, though.

in general, i find pittsburgh to offer a lot of the amenities of larger cities (science center, museums, great music scene, restaraunts, pro sports, etc. etc.) but it still has a nice small-town neighborhood feel to it. and, you can drive an hour or so east or south and find great opportunities for outdoor recreation like hiking, biking, rafting, hunting, climbing, etc. etc.

(oh, btw, allegheny county has more LTCF holders than any other county in PA. and the state has preempted counties and municipalities from making there own laws regarding firearms, so the carry laws are uniform throughout the state. ccw in pittsburgh is not a problem.

and PA has some of the best carry laws in the country. we are a shall issue state and there are very few places you cannot carry.)

Dogmeat00
04-30-2008, 13:37
Alaska has the best fire arms laws.

And Philadelphia must have succeeded from the commonwealth, because they have seperate carry laws than the rest of the state.

Magicmanmb
04-30-2008, 16:03
Alaska has the best fire arms laws.

And Philadelphia must have succeeded from the commonwealth, because they have seperate carry laws than the rest of the state.

I'd go for Alaska but only hospital that does the type of back surgery I need is Univ of Pitt. That's why were looking in WV or towards Pittsburgh. Wife moved from the Poconos also known as the new New York City. If we went to that side of the state We'd have to see her kids & family.

gdvan01
04-30-2008, 16:49
No trip to "da burgh" is complete without a stop in the strip district with a load of goodies from Penn-Mac.

LittleRedToyota
05-01-2008, 14:46

the only carry law that is different in philly is that you need an LTCF to open carry.

philly did recently pass some of their own gun control laws, but those laws are invalid because of state preemption. (the one about needing an LTCF to open carry is in the state uniform firearms act, so it is a state law, not a city ordinance and that is why it is valid.)

those laws have been placed on hold by the courts...and will soon be struck down altogether.

(even philly's notoriously anti-gun DA has said the new philly laws are unconstitution and she would refuse to prosecute anyone under them.)

gdvan01
05-01-2008, 15:53
Pittsburgh named sootiest city as it tries to shed image

RAMESH SANTANAM
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - A year after being named America's most livable city for the second time, Pittsburgh has made the top of another list , the nation's sootiest cities.

The American Lung Association ranking for the Pittsburgh metropolitan region comes as the city celebrates its 250th birthday and continues trying to shed its reputation as a smoky industrial town.

Allegheny County officials and others called the ranking unfair, saying the Lung Association only measured the air quality in the county's most polluted place , the Liberty-Clairton area, downwind from U.S. Steel Corp.'s Clairton Coke Works.

"We acknowledge the area has high levels of particle pollution," county Health Department spokesman Guillermo Cole said. "It's the largest coke plant in the U.S. and it sits in a valley and that makes it a real challenge to clean the air there.

Bert.40
05-01-2008, 21:03
Pittsburgh named sootiest city as it tries to shed image

RAMESH SANTANAM
The Associated Press

PITTSBURGH - A year after being named America's most livable city for the second time, Pittsburgh has made the top of another list , the nation's sootiest cities.

The American Lung Association ranking for the Pittsburgh metropolitan region comes as the city celebrates its 250th birthday and continues trying to shed its reputation as a smoky industrial town.

Allegheny County officials and others called the ranking unfair, saying the Lung Association only measured the air quality in the county's most polluted place , the Liberty-Clairton area, downwind from U.S. Steel Corp.'s Clairton Coke Works.

"We acknowledge the area has high levels of particle pollution," county Health Department spokesman Guillermo Cole said. "It's the largest coke plant in the U.S. and it sits in a valley and that makes it a real challenge to clean the air there.

The winds bring the pollution from Ohio and Michigan!:psycho:

da chef
05-01-2008, 21:10
I visited once (back when I was a lush) and got ticked off that the grocery stores didn't sell booze.
Got equally ticked dealing with driving around that city too.
Maybe I was in the wrong part of town or my drunk-O-matic memory is a bit hazy but I'd rate the burg a 2 out of 10...

LittleRedToyota
05-01-2008, 22:35
PA does have some really stupid laws about buying booze. you generally cannot buy it in a supermarket/grocery store/convienence store (though there are a few here and there that have liquor licenses).

hard stuff you have to go to a "state store" which is basically a state run monopoly on selling hard liquor.

you can buy six packs at bars and some pizza places, etc. for cases of beer, you have to go to a "distributor". these are places that sell nothing but beer (and maybe cigarettes and party snack food).

and pittsburgh and the surrounding area can be a bit confusing getting around at first because the topography is very hilly and pittsburgh is right at the intersection of three pretty decent sized rivers. so, there are a lot of bridges and tunnels and not very many straight roads. (pittsburgh actually has more bridges than any other city in the USA and, by some counts, the world...though some say hamburg, germany has more.)

once you get to know your way around, though, pittsburgh is actually easy to get around. and traffic is not nearly as bad a lot of cities.

Ghillie232
05-12-2008, 11:22
Look into Washington County south of route 70 . less than an hour away and none of the problems.

Vitamin G
05-19-2008, 21:19
Avoid Allegheny County, and look into ANY county surrounding it, and you wont go wrong. If you insist on allegheny county (pittsburgh), live in ANY part of the county that isn't the actual city limits.

Magicmanmb
05-20-2008, 08:51
After trying to deal with several realtors & having enough smoke blown somewhere to be a smoke stack. Wife wants to look just across the river near
P'burgh but with Ohio taxes. What we were being quoted tax wise was half in OH & WV, than in PA. Looked at one the taxes were decent @$850 but then when we added the school tax $2,100.00 a year. Plus it needed a new furnace and water heater. But even at $2950.00 on taxes it was still cheaper than here in Myrtle Beach, but living in the county we have no garbage p/u, bus service is sporadic at best and no other public transpo. Plus our homeowners insurance runs almost $6,000.00 a year because of hurricanes.

Vitamin G
05-20-2008, 11:29
Count your blessings. I'd nearly give up a glock to have to separate my garbage into burnables and recyclables. Its an excuse to have a nice fire, and enjoy the outdoors.

Magicmanmb
06-19-2008, 08:19
Had a house in Monnessen offered to us can anyone suggest a good house inspector? And if the area is safe or like liberty ave area