1911 smiths in the area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 smiths in the area?

Sambolijah
04-23-2008, 19:46
I might be buying a 1911 in a couple days. It probably won't come with an ambi-safety, but I'm left handed so I really need to have one.

I don't know much about the 1911 yet, but is that a part I could swap out myself?
Or is a gunsmith necessary?
If so, any recommendations in the Provo/UC area?

econjon
04-23-2008, 20:29
I'm left handed as well and had Patriot Arms in West Jordan install an ambi safety on my Delta Elite. There may be someone in Utah County but I had Patriot install a muzzle brake on my hunting rifle and they did a superb job so I had them do the safety as well.

ustate
04-24-2008, 07:12
I've dealt with the gunsmith that is located in the sporting goods store 'Payson Sports & Trophy' which is around 100North and Main Street in Payson. His gunsmith area is towards the back of the store in a little office. He has always done a good job for me.

Shondratasha
04-27-2008, 23:12
The best pistol smith in the state is Barlow's Custom Guns on Redwood Road in West Valley.

reerc
04-28-2008, 21:59
Sambo:

Range Masters sends their work out to Clint Hawkins. I made an appointment with him, and dropped in on him to have some swivel screws set in the stock of a synthetic 870. He works in the basement of his home. Not saying it would be the same for safety work on a 1911, but I had nowhere to go, so I stayed and helped Clint with the work - four hands were better than two (sometimes).

I have no experience with 1911s or other gunsmiths, but he's "in the area."

Here's his web page: http://www.hawkinsarmsllc.com/

GixxerSixxer
05-13-2008, 13:50
The best pistol smith in the state is Barlow's Custom Guns on Redwood Road in West Valley.

That's only if you want the work to take a few months before you get the gun back.

I personally had a Rem 700 that needed bolt work done take 5 months. I had to send an email to Remington who then got on Barlow's ass to get the work done. The work should have only taken a week or two. That was not during deer or elk season either. They sat on it and gave me BS lines like "Remington only makes parts in batches and were waiting for them to make a batch of your parts." Barlow's also told me the work would be covered under warranty and if it wasn't then I'd be called with a quote. When I went to pickup the gun it was a $80 bill. I then called by Remington and they sent me a check quickly.

Another person had a trigger job done that took a month. He would have been better off buying an aftermarket trigger and installing it on his kitchen table. There are many more stories about Barlow's dragging their ass.

With that said, Barlow's does do good work. Just be prepared to wait for it.