Bare Escentuals [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bare Escentuals

Patricia
04-26-2008, 11:21
A bunch of the women at work use this, so the rest of us decided we need to give it a try. I ordered my starter kit and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive.

For those of you that have tried it, what do you think?

Zonny
04-26-2008, 14:29
I have used it and do like it. It does not offer the coverage that cream foundations do but that's Ok with me.

Love the blush, the eye shadows & the brushes.

Is there not an "Ulta3" in Flag.? That is where I buy mine. Had I ordered it thru one of the infomercials, I'm sure I would not have got the right shade as there are MANY to choose from, not just the 3 that they offer.

Many of the 'drug store' lines (Revlon, Cover Girl etc.) are also getting in the mineral makeup bizz. :wavey:

Mrs. VR
04-26-2008, 14:34
I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Actually, I get a lot of coverage from it, surpisingly, and it comes light enough for me, which is a real issue usually. I think you're gonna love it, P! I use their eyebrow powder too.

Kathy, I bought some of the mineral eye shadows from another brand recently, they're ok too. I have to be careful what i put around my eyes, cause I tend to react.

Patricia
04-26-2008, 14:51
We don't have an Ulta in Flagstaff (or much of anything really :upeyes:), but I got to try a bunch of stuff that my boss brought in. She is in her mid-50's, and you would never know it. She's been using BE stuff for years, and usually buys the kits through QVC when they are having specials, so she helped me find the color that is right for me. I'm getting the foundation and the mineral veil, a brush, all-over face color, and a DVD. I tried some eye shadows that she had, but I think I like the Mary Kay shades I have better.

tampashooters
04-27-2008, 16:18
My wife loved Bare Escentuals, but started trying ELF, and loves them just as much and has now switched, and the price is about 50%+ less..

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/depts_minerals.asp?dept_id=1190

Shondratasha
04-27-2008, 23:28
My sisters are into BE but I'll stick with Mary Kay myself...

uz2bUSMC
04-27-2008, 23:59
My ex-wife seemed to love it, and I remembered paying to much for a little bit of stuff. All I know is, it was aparently good for the happy meter...

kcb
04-29-2008, 18:14
My skin is getting really funny about the way it takes make up. It's almost to the point where less is more, now.

If I don't apply it a certain way, it just looks awful. I'm very picky about it too. :crying:

I am eliminating make up that I can wear, one product at a time, lately!

:sad:

You have to order this? You can't test it somewhere first?

kcb
04-29-2008, 18:15
My sisters are into BE but I'll stick with Mary Kay myself...

I'm allergic to Mary Kay. :sad: I learned via a very painful route, too!

sweetatergal
04-30-2008, 15:37
I use BE and absolutely LOVE IT! The base color comes with an SPF in it as well. I like this type of base since I have freckles and my skin color is uneven (I still have breakouts) and it covers them well.
I ordered mine from Sephora store online and now there is both a Sephora and BE store near me.

I use the blushes and eye shadows too. Oh, P, if you decide that you like it, there is one called Clear Radiance. I like this as it gives a little "sparkle" to your face. Normally I use it on special occasions....like going out to a nice dinner w/ the Hubby.

And my Mary Kay rep has informed me that they have come out with a Mineral base too.

Good luck with it and hope you like it! :wavey:

Mrs. Tink
04-30-2008, 17:44

Aww, Karen. :hugs: When did you last try it? I'm a Mary Kay rep and we try really hard to work with ladies who might have trouble with one of our formulas to find another one that works. We always want to hear what went wrong for people, so that we can educate ourselves on different experiences.

Actually Sharon... MK does make a foundation that's light enough for you. I just did not have the experience when we last worked together to realize that I should have used that one and not the one that you tried... in that respect I failed you. :sad: I'm sorry.

The MK mineral powders are really nice--they are super-light and don't look visibly powdery. I myself don't wear much makeup (kinda ironic, huh) but I'm liking the mineral thing.

Mrs. VR
04-30-2008, 20:26
Meg, that's ok! I actually am finding I like the powder better than liquid anyway. How does the MK mineral stuff compare pricewise? I'm gonna be in touch pretty soon, I've about rationed out my timewise! :hugs:

sweetatergal
05-01-2008, 08:42
My last MK catalog that I got had it listed for $18, I've been paying $25 for the BE. I don't know if the MK prices are different in different areas or not. One thing my MK consultant told me was that the MK did not have an SPF in it like the BE has.

I'm not sure of the size of the MK mineral powder either (if it is the same size as the BE ).

Shondratasha
05-02-2008, 01:32

There are some of the Mary Kay products that I'm allergic too also. But my reactions to MK were a lot lighter than the ones to a lot of other products (cough - Lancome, Clinique).

I can't use anything with the anti-aging products in them - they literally make my skin fall off.

One thing my MK consultant told me was that the MK did not have an SPF in it like the BE has.

That would be odd, all the MK foundations I've ever had had a minimal SPF. That's one of the reasons I buy it.

sweetatergal
05-03-2008, 09:28
That would be odd, all the MK foundations I've ever had had a minimal SPF. That's one of the reasons I buy it.

That was one reason that I went to the BE and being that it was a powder opposed to a "cream" foundation. I have REALLY bad oily skin and the cream based foundations just don't work well with me.

Even though the MK cream foundations had an SPF in them, I would wind up sweating them off. The humidity here in the south is just HORRID in June, July, August and sometime on up into September. :faint:

Dinky
05-07-2008, 14:34
Things must be slow:dunno:

Ender or tous have not been here to help this thread along:wavey:

jmho-----I prefer little or no makeup on wimmins:cool:

Patricia
05-08-2008, 07:19
Things must be slow:dunno:

Ender or tous have not been here to help this thread along:wavey:

jmho-----I prefer little or no makeup on wimmins:cool:

Um, yeah, that worked fine when I was 20 something, but ain't gonna happen at this point. I like makeup that looks natural, while still helping to hide those little flaws.

deadday
05-08-2008, 07:33
My wife loves the stuff, shes says not to try the one called Shear Cover, which is advertised to be similar to the BE, but at a lower prices..Says it sucks...Me, I'm a Maybelline guy...:tongueout:

drew

MB-G26
05-08-2008, 14:56
Bare Escentuals' Bare Minerals for me all the way!

Been using it for eons. The 'base' face mineral powder is also like SPF 15, which comes in handy. Since I don't use much eye shadow, I've not tried many of the BE ones, but I have a couple VERY light ones that I use to help conceal my dark circles (under the eyes, etc.).

I've only found one other similar product - it's an Avon one, the lightest they make. I use it ONLY for under/around the eyes (dark circles, again)... and it is more 'powdery/talky' kind of sticky, less 'spreadable' and light in weight than the BE products - but that's ok for the specific purpose I use it for, even tho it's supposed to be one of Avon's mineral foundations vs. a concealer.

Alta and Sophora both carry BE Bare Minerals, with Sophora having the most 'testers' available that I've seen between the two local locations. Both do orders online.... so anybody w/o close access to either store, if you can get a chance to test the products out in person somewhere then order online to your heart's content ;)

Patricia: the Phx junk mail has Alta flyers w/coupons about every month or two. One just came down here - but it expires the 11th and do I read right, you're already ordered your stuff? The Alta coupons include online orders from what I read in the fine print....

If anybody's interested, I could just post when I get a new Alta coupon.... for an online order it's just a matter of plugging in a number from the coupon anyway, so it wouldn't matter that I possess the coupon and someone else, somewhere else, is using it for an online order I'll bet.

Added
In fact, I just checked in one of my junkmail recycling baskets and I hadn't emptied it yet! Here's the current coupon info:

Ulta Gift Certificate $3.50 off any purchase of $10 or more
Use this certificare in-store or online
Coupon valid 5/4/08 through 5/11/08
For online purchases, enter the coupon code 93534 in the space provided in your shopping back and click "add code"

Page 7 of the junk mail flyer has:
bareMinerals Original 9-pc. Starter Kit
$60.00 (A $165.00 value)
ulta.com: 2133148

- - -
bareMinerals "Get Started eyes cheeks lips" (in 4 different complexion tones kits) $49.00 (values up to $112.00)
ulta.com: 2160035

SouthernGal
05-08-2008, 15:10

The oil free liquid foundation never had sunscreen in it and that's all that STG and I could use of theirs when we still used MKay foundation (we both switched to BE). The formulas for their liquid foundation for dry/normal skin types had sunscreen in them by default.

The newer MKay foundation similar to Bare Escentuals does not have SPF. That's the one downside and a significant one at that, especially for those of us who are out in the sun a lot. Mary Kay's prices on the item are better than BE for about the same amount so I suppose if you are already using a moisturizer with SPF it wouldn't matter anyway. I'll likely stick with the BE that I'm using rather than switch because I can't use a moisturizer with SPF.

As for the amount of protection given by BE in terms of SPF: I got out on South Beach Miami FL a few years ago with only BE on my face, no SPF moisturizer at all underneath. I was not burned at all on my face after a full day in the sun.

MB-G26
05-08-2008, 15:47
Alta website is showing free shipping on "kits" (promo code "kitsshipfree"), and the same sales as in the junk mail flyer, plus a "printable" $3.50 coupon and a $3.500 online coupon (code 93620) .

Cutting to the chase, instead of retyping what I lost:
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2133148&productId=VP11592&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat80102

$60 (reg $165?)
http://www.ulta.com/images/products/large/2133148.jpg
The Original bareMinerals Starter Kit includes:
- Two shades of bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation (.06 oz/2g)
- bareMinerals Mineral Veil(.06 oz/2g)
- bareMinerals Warmth All-Over Face Color (.02 oz/.57g)
- bareMinerals Glee All-Over Face Color (.02 oz/.57g)
- Handi Buki Brush
- Maximum Coverage Concealer Brush
- Flawless Application Face Brush
- How-to DVD.

This is a brand new product apparently:
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2160036&productId=prod450008&navAction=push&navCount=1&categoryId=cat920033

http://www.ulta.com/images/products/large/2160036.jpg
$49 (reg $112?)
Fair to Light:

bareMinerals Winter White Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Smoke Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Nurture Liner Shadow (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Kiss Blush (Size: Small)
Dolly Mini Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish
Heavenly Liner Brush
Double-Ended Quick Color & Crease Brush
Tapered Blush Brush

Light to Medium:
bareMinerals Cream Soda Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Rapture Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Tiger's Eye Liner Shadow (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals First Class Blush (Size: Small)
Sugar Mini Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish
Double-Ended Contour Shadow & Define Brush
Eyeliner Brush
Angled Blush Brush

Medium to Tan:
bareMinerals Lemon Zinger Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Noble Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Patio Party Liner Shadow (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Joyous Jennifer Blush (Size: Small)
Ginger Mini Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish
Double-Ended Quick Color & Crease Brush
Heavenly Liner Brush
Tapered Blush Brush

Tan to Deep:

bareMinerals Brilliant Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Spark Eyecolor (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Onyx Liner Shadow (Size: X-Small)
bareMinerals Crushed Velvet Blush (Size: Small)
Brandi Mini Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish
Double-Ended Contour & Define Brush

I also use an Avon - 'bareMinerals' imitation for one specific purpose, even tho it's supposed to be an all-over face 'foundation' "mineral powder". It's the lightest shade Avon makes in it, and I use it as a concealer for under and around my eyes. (Megga dark circles, redness in the skin immediately around my eyes, etc.) It doesn't spread as lightly as the bareMinerals stuff, but that's ok, because I NEED it to 'stick' (for heavier coverage) more than spread lightly where I use it. The Avon copy line is noteably less expensive than the bareMinerals stuff. I have also experimented with Alta's own 'mineral makeup' line via their in-store testers. I found IT to be 'less spreadable', much like the Avon stuff.

Looks like Avon has come out with yet MORE "new" mineral makeup products since I got the "Personal Match" "smooth mineral makeup powder in Ivory" that I use around my eyes. No mention of SPF, tho.

http://shop.avon.com/shopb/product_list.asp?couponCode=&level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=576&cat_type=B&bnd=1

http://shop.avon.com/shopb/product.asp?src_page=product_list.asp&level1_id=300&level2_id=301&pdept_id=576&dept_id=&pf_id=33660

"Smooth Minerals" Mineral power Face cover on sale $7.99 (down from $10 but I think the sizes are smaller than the bE stuff), mineral blush $5.99 (down from $9.00), mineral eye shadow $4.99 (down from $8), and brushes on sale also. Avon's prices are smaller (and so are the product sizes, I think) but if you order through a local human and HATE IT, you can always return it and get a refund from the human, or even via Avon for a web order I think.)

Patricia
05-09-2008, 07:03
Thanks for the info Mel!! I ordered from QVC on the advice of a friend, but that looks like an even better deal. I'm set for now (my kit just came in the mail on Wednesday) but do let me know the next time a deal like that comes around!

Dinky
05-09-2008, 09:26
Um, yeah, that worked fine when I was 20 something, but ain't gonna happen at this point. I like makeup that looks natural, while still helping to hide those little flaws.

I can go with that:wavey:

SouthernGal
05-09-2008, 09:35
I think given the climate you are living in you're really going to become another fan of this makeup. It's good stuff.

QVC has great prices on BE, but if you have a true BE store near you, they offer customer appreciation cards. It's a stamp for each $10 you spend and when the card is filled up ($120) they give you $10 back in free product. It works out well if you buy additional brushes, eyeshadows, or blushes of theirs because the brushes tend to be pretty pricey.

Their website lists the locations of all their stores.

kcb
05-09-2008, 15:02
Is there any way to get samples of the foundation or other makeup to try it out before you buy the makeup?

My skin doesn't take all makeup equally anymore. Seems like overnight, I woke up and the makeup just doesn't all go on as easily as it use to.

I've been told I am "high maintainance" because my makeup has to be perfect. I wouldn't say it has to be perfect. I want it to look as natural as possible, while making me look better than I really look! (If you know what I mean!) :supergrin:

kcb
05-09-2008, 15:08
Aww, Karen. :hugs: When did you last try it? I'm a Mary Kay rep and we try really hard to work with ladies who might have trouble with one of our formulas to find another one that works. We always want to hear what went wrong for people, so that we can educate ourselves on different experiences.

Actually Sharon... MK does make a foundation that's light enough for you. I just did not have the experience when we last worked together to realize that I should have used that one and not the one that you tried... in that respect I failed you. :sad: I'm sorry.

The MK mineral powders are really nice--they are super-light and don't look visibly powdery. I myself don't wear much makeup (kinda ironic, huh) but I'm liking the mineral thing.

It's been a long time; but my doctor told me to never use it again. So, I haven't. I have had several good friends that have sold it over the years, too. I use to buy a very favorite perfume from Mary Kay, but they discontinued it a long time ago as well! :sad:

I've used Mac, which is very expensive, recently. I bought a lot of their product before my daughters got married. There is one type of foundation that Merle Norman sells that I can apply very lightly, with a damp makeup sponge that makes my skin look the best right now. But if I can find something better that does better, I'm open.

Liquid foundation does NOTHING for the surface of my skin anymore.

Patricia
05-10-2008, 09:42
I think given the climate you are living in you're really going to become another fan of this makeup. It's good stuff.

QVC has great prices on BE, but if you have a true BE store near you, they offer customer appreciation cards. It's a stamp for each $10 you spend and when the card is filled up ($120) they give you $10 back in free product. It works out well if you buy additional brushes, eyeshadows, or blushes of theirs because the brushes tend to be pretty pricey.

Their website lists the locations of all their stores.

I've used it for a couple of days so far, and already love it! I have oily skin (which my docs tell I should be thankful for as I get older), and BE really makes the shine go away. I love the natural looking glow it gives you also.

We don't have much of anything in Flagstaff as far as stores go. :upeyes: I'll guess I'll have to rely on all of you to tell when online specials are going on.

The kit I bought had only one brush, so I can see I need more. It also came with two foundations. You couldn't get two of the same, so I got medium tan and tan. The medium is perfect for my skin color, and then I brush on a little of the Warmth face color, and finish with the mineral veil. I don't see me ever using the tan, it would just be too dark.

I may try some of their eye shadows at some point, but for now I'm happy with my Mary Kay ones.

kcb
05-10-2008, 12:39
I've used it for a couple of days so far, and already love it! I have oily skin (which my docs tell I should be thankful for as I get older), and BE really makes the shine go away. I love the natural looking glow it gives you also.

We don't have much of anything in Flagstaff as far as stores go. :upeyes: I'll guess I'll have to rely on all of you to tell when online specials are going on.

The kit I bought had only one brush, so I can see I need more. It also came with two foundations. You couldn't get two of the same, so I got medium tan and tan. The medium is perfect for my skin color, and then I brush on a little of the Warmth face color, and finish with the mineral veil. I don't see me ever using the tan, it would just be too dark.

I may try some of their eye shadows at some point, but for now I'm happy with my Mary Kay ones.

I use to have VERY oily sin, too. Now, I have combination skin....still oily in some spots but a bit dry in others, IF I don't use a daily and nightly moisturizer.

It's difficult to deal with combination skin....but I'm glad it isn't dry. I do best in the summer because I ALWAYS wear sunscreen lotions. I do in the winter but I'm not as dedicated as I am in the summer.

Patricia
05-10-2008, 13:45
Karen, I always use a moisturizer too, Oil of Olay. I also use Avon's Intensive Eye Cream under my eyes. I guess I am kinda like you. My skin feels dry right after washing it, but oily by the end of the day.

kcb
05-10-2008, 15:05
Karen, I always use a moisturizer too, Oil of Olay. I also use Avon's Intensive Eye Cream under my eyes. I guess I am kinda like you. My skin feels dry right after washing it, but oily by the end of the day.

I use Oil of Olay, too. AND another daily moisturizer that a dermatologist told me to use, as well. The Oil of Olay has a sunscreen in it!

My aesthetician is always giving me samples of Oil of Olay products, too! It's nice to have her as one of my best friends! :hugs:

I'll have to look for the Eye Cream. I need something for my eyes. Does it ever burn your eyes?

I'm having trouble with that right now, because of the air quality, I think.

Patricia
05-11-2008, 09:09
I use Oil of Olay, too. AND another daily moisturizer that a dermatologist told me to use, as well. The Oil of Olay has a sunscreen in it!

My aesthetician is always giving me samples of Oil of Olay products, too! It's nice to have her as one of my best friends! :hugs:

I'll have to look for the Eye Cream. I need something for my eyes. Does it ever burn your eyes?

I'm having trouble with that right now, because of the air quality, I think.

Nope, it never burns your eyes. We sell the Kinerase products at work, and I tried their under eye cream, but I like Avon's better.

kcb
05-11-2008, 16:54
Nope, it never burns your eyes. We sell the Kinerase products at work, and I tried their under eye cream, but I like Avon's better.

I'll look for it! I'm trying to remember who I know now that sells Avon! I know that I know someone! :rofl:

DepChief told me something to try for my burning eyes in case it was from the air quality due to fires in the vicinity. It worked very well and quickly!!
It was getting to the point, that it was effecting my vision!!! :shocked:

SouthernGal
05-12-2008, 09:39

STG and I are both REAL oily and this stuff works great. I was the first on the block to experiment with it since I didn't bring sunscreen with me to FL and knew I had to have something. I have another woman who works in the office with me who has very oily and blemish prone skin and it's all she uses. She'd touted it to me for months, so I took a chance in the ATL airport on it. Since coming back with it, STG, my mom and STG's next door neighbor have all switched.

Now that you know what color you wear you can easily order more. I gave the color I didn't wear (Med Beige) away. You may have noticed that Medium Beige/Medium Tan has more yellow to it than Medium/Tan does. When you need to reorder, you can call any of the BE locations on the website and they'll ship the stuff to you if you put your order on a credit card. That's what I did until the BE store opened here. You can also get the color you need alone from Sephora or another retailer. I know people who reorder the whole starter kit again, but it seems like a waste to me since you're throwing one whole color away. I don't use warmth, it makes me look funky, but I do use clear radiance and glee.

As for the brushes, be aware that Sephora doesn't carry the full line. Your kit likely came with a catalog in it, and that will show you what brushes are available and the prices. Some of them you can only get at BE stores. You can also get brushes pretty cheaply off Ebay. When you're ready to clean your brushes, I was told to use J&J baby shampoo on them and let them air dry.