Ok, now i need advice for a pocket camera under $200 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ok, now i need advice for a pocket camera under $200

ricky
04-28-2008, 10:38
I have been reading the posts here and have not seen what I am looking for.

I am going to Europe on a trip and I would like a decent camera that uses AA batteries and can take good shots at night as well.

I guess I need at least 7 + on megapixels and a good optical zoom as I will probably frame my good shots?

I don't know for sure if I really need the image stabilizer deal for sure as i am able to take a pretty good steady shot without tripod unless it is at night.

It would be nice if I can manually operate the exposure and speed just to experiment.

Let me know what you think might be some good choices please?

smile_at_u90012
04-28-2008, 11:43
any good brand offer their digicam under that price but may not in 6MP

Texas357
04-28-2008, 11:44
I've had good luck with Kodak, easyshare K743 (i think that is the number). 7.1 megapixels, uses AA batteries (get energizer lithium, the camera likes consistant voltage.)

May be as low as $100 by now. I got it about $130 at circuit city. Plain old point and shoot.

On my last trip, 2 weeks in Thailand+Cambodia, I took over 1200 pictures. I would have taken more, but I was just exhausted, and after a while everything is so new you forget to take pictures. It can get 1500 on a 2G SD card.

I'd strongly recommend that whatever you get use AA batteries.

Glkster19
04-29-2008, 18:29
Canon SX100IS. Very nice little pocket camera. Bought 1 when we went on our cruise and loved it. Took some pics of fireworks 1 night and all but 1 or 2 turned out good. It is a little over $200 but well worth it. Takes 2 AA batteries and uses an SD/SDHC card. 4gb card in the highest quality setting holds about 1200 pics. It is 8MP with 10x optical zoom. This was my 1st Canon P&S camera, have had Olympus and Sony's in the past and wouldn't hesitate on another Canon P&S based on this 1.

margo
05-05-2008, 17:16
I just got that model canon. I am very pleased. I used to be a hobbiest back when cameras used film and although I have been tempted to get back into it digitally I can't justify the expense.

But I have discovered the joys of snapshots with digital cameras! What a blast! I also got a low end sony which can't really compare with the canon, or even another sony. I got that one first actually and it was so much fun I got the canon second, on sale, kind of an impulse.

Compared to an SLR it certainly has it's limitations but I am amazed at the quaility of my pics. I can even choose arpeture or shutter speed priority!

I like that it uses AA batteries as well as I have quite a few rechargable ones now, eneloops, sanyo 2700's and maha 2700's. I don't even worry about batteries. I got the rechargables for my gps and when I first got them a few years ago I got poor performance for some reason. Now I have the better batteries and a good charger (lacrosse 900) it's awesome! I even use them in my headlamps now!

Here is a pic I took yesterday while geocaching. It was right near the ammo box. We didn't bother with the box, it can wait till later.
I could get close with the zoom on my canon.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/gitarmac/hiking/IMG_0241-1.jpg