Another Aircraft Carrier Sent to the Persian Gulf [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Aircraft Carrier Sent to the Persian Gulf

isuzu
04-29-2008, 20:27
The CBS Evening News said today that another US aircraft carrier has been deployed to the Persian Gulf. It said the deployment had to do something with Iran.

jerrytrini
04-29-2008, 21:34
Seven months of heat. Sometimes wearing gas mask for 8 hours straight no water no food and soaked in sweat. No thank you, I have done my time in hell.

wtf jack
04-30-2008, 10:20
Seven months of heat. Sometimes wearing gas mask for 8 hours straight no water no food and soaked in sweat. No thank you, I have done my time in hell.

Choose your rate, choose your fate! How many major (six or more months) deployments have you done?

Allegra
04-30-2008, 10:46
Kailan kaya natin mababasa ang headline -

" the Philippines sends one of it's aircraft carriers....."

chowchow
04-30-2008, 10:50
They will up the anti against Iran before the year ends to distract us from a failing-falling economy.

wtf jack
04-30-2008, 11:04
They will up the anti against Iran before the year ends to distract us from a failing-falling economy.

LOL! You mean you haven't heard of the real reason why the US goes to war? Where else can you test weapons systems to the limit? How else can you produce battle-hardened troops? What is the best way of weeding out ineffecient commanders and procedures? Just kidding.

wtf jack
04-30-2008, 12:02
Below is a Russian's point of view of why the US went to war against Iraq:

http://globalresearch.ca/articles/SLI303A.html

[Khokhlov] Vladimir Ivanovich, so much has already been said about the reasons and causes of the new war in Iraq, but I cannot get rid of the feeling that they are either talking about something entirely different, or not telling the full story...

[Slipchenko] The main purpose of the war is indeed being left out of the picture and nobody is saying anything about it. I see the main purpose of the war as being the large-scale real-life testing by the United States of sophisticated models of precision weapons. That is the objective that they place first All the other aims are either incidental, or outright disinformation.

For more than 10 years now the United States has conducted exclusively no-contact wars. In May 2001 George Bush Jr., delivering his first presidential speech to students at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, spoke of the need for accelerated preparation of the US Armed Forces for future wars. He emphasized that they should be high-tech Armed Forces capable of conducting hostilities throughout the world by the no-contact method. This task is now being carried out very consistently.

It should be observed that the Pentagon buys from the military-industrial complex only those weapons that have been tested in conditions of real warfare and received a certificate of quality on the battlefield. After a series of live experiments -- the wars in Iraq, Yugoslavia, and Afghanistan -- many corporations in the US military-industrial complex have been granted the right to sell their precision weapons to the Pentagon. They include Martin Lockheed, General Electric, and Loral. But many other well-known companies are as yet without orders from the military department. The bottom line is $50-60 billion a year. Who would want to miss out on that kind of money? But the present suppliers of precision weapons to the Pentagon are also constantly developing new types of arms and they must also be tested The US military-industrial complex demands testbed wars from its country's political leadership. And it gets them.

And that is the main aim of the new war in Iraq.

Vic777
04-30-2008, 12:22
They will up the anti against Iran before the year ends to distract us from a failing-falling economy.It's always about you, is it?

gen1
04-30-2008, 17:10
LOL! You mean you haven't heard of the real reason why the US goes to war? Where else can you test weapons systems to the limit? How else can you produce battle-hardened troops? What is the best way of weeding out ineffecient commanders and procedures? Just kidding.

It would be "stretching" it to say that the US goes to war just to keep its armed forces in tip-top shape, but it is good military sense for an armed forces to go to a small war at least every decade so it would always have veteran noncoms and officers in its rosters.

says so in my handbook for armchair generals :supergrin:

jerrytrini
04-30-2008, 18:11
Choose your rate, choose your fate! How many major (six or more months) deployments have you done?

5 WestPacs, 3 MedCruises, 1 Atlantic Cruise and 1 Persian Gulf. How many did you do?

wtf jack
04-30-2008, 19:06
4 WestPacs, 2 Around-the-Horns, 1 MedCruise. I am baby compared to you.

Longest underway with no liberty was a back-to-back beer day, cold beer served with Cuban cigars while the ship was in the IO.

Talking about hot, spent a lot of time watching fires down the hole. Choose your rate, choose your fate.

jerrytrini
04-30-2008, 19:28
4 WestPacs, 2 Around-the-Horns, 1 MedCruise. I am baby compared to you.

Longest underway with no liberty was a back-to-back beer day, cold beer served with Cuban cigars while the ship was in the IO.

Talking about hot, spent a lot of time watching fires down the hole. Choose your rate, choose your fate.

The longest I had was 44 days straight no libo time but had a beer day. The day was hot and so was the beer but we did an all day Steel Beach, no flight ops, no evolution of some sort. All the cooks had the whole day off, everyone else did the cooking.
So you were a Snipe? I was a Box Kicker but a blackshoe nonetheless. Then retired after 20 or so years.

wtf jack
04-30-2008, 19:46
Started off with Connie and the Hawk playing with 1200PSI steam, 600 pounds on the Sac. Winded down with the JFK making LOX. Finished my career teaching kids how to run the O2N2 plant.

Wow, I just summarized 20 years in 3 short sentences. But yup, I represent the gruffest of the snipes - the old BT.

jerrytrini
04-30-2008, 22:22
Started off with Connie and the Hawk playing with 1200PSI steam, 600 pounds on the Sac. Winded down with the JFK making LOX. Finished my career teaching kids how to run the O2N2 plant.

Wow, I just summarized 20 years in 3 short sentences. But yup, I represent the gruffest of the snipes - the old BT.

Hotdog!!One of the best Libo buddies I had on the Lady Lex (Pensacola) was a BTC.

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 05:04
Hotdog!!One of the best Libo buddies I had on the Lady Lex (Pensacola) was a BTC.

And my best buddy is an ADC. Small world indeed.

Eye Cutter
05-01-2008, 07:13
oist! kayong mga oldies, no text speak allowed here! hahaha!

wtf jack: "wer na u?"
jt: "hir na me"

the connie's the constellation? the Hawk's Kittyhawk? what's a lox, a snipe and a black shoe???
hahaha!

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 07:26
oist! kayong mga oldies, no text speak allowed here! hahaha!

wtf jack: "wer na u?"
jt: "hir na me"

[/I]

the connie's the constellation? the Hawk's Kittyhawk? what's a lox, a snipe and a black shoe???
hahaha!

LOL! Not text speak but usual sailor talk.

LOX - liquid oxygen
O2N2 plant - Cryogenic plant used to produce liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen, with the LOX used by pilots to breathe while in flight. Aricraft carriers have these onboard.
snipe - crew member operating main propulsion machinery such as boilers, steam and gas turbines.
black shoe - somebody who is not a brown shoe.
brown shoe - somebody working in the flight deck such as jet engine mechanics, to include air crew and pilots.

Eye Cutter
05-01-2008, 07:34
so when are you and jt coming over back here in the PI so we can hear ya'll trade war stories and drink & eat out at capt barbel's and darna's place???

si jt, gusto karaoke, napunta kami sa favorite place ni gundog and ppts! wahahaha! iba ang kinakaraoke!

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 07:43
That would be fun! I'll ask Dr. J. Inciong to come along (you probably know him). He is a funny guy to be with.

chowchow
05-01-2008, 07:58
Free Havana Cigars ba sa Ascension Island?

Eye Cutter
05-01-2008, 08:04
si Jed? Yup! I know him. Small world talaga! His wife Liz, was my classmate in med school!

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 08:49
Free Havana Cigars ba sa Ascension Island?

Hindi. Bawal kasi mag-import ng Cuban cigars to the US, so we can only get some while overseas. So somehow, while the ship is in the Indian Ocean, Cuban cigars can be flown in and during special events, given away.

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 08:51
si Jed? Yup! I know him. Small world talaga! His wife Liz, was my classmate in med school!

Yup, batchmate ko sa high school (same high school as horge). Barkada, I am actually still get in touch with him every now and then.

9MX
05-01-2008, 11:26
Kailan kaya natin mababasa ang headline -

" the Philippines sends one of it's aircraft carriers....."

kung carrier aircon units, baka puwede pa.

i:faint:

jerrytrini
05-01-2008, 15:07
LOL! Not text speak but usual sailor talk.

LOX - liquid oxygen
O2N2 plant - Cryogenic plant used to produce liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen, with the LOX used by pilots to breathe while in flight. Aricraft carriers have these onboard.
snipe - crew member operating main propulsion machinery such as boilers, steam and gas turbines.
black shoe - somebody who is not a brown shoe.
brown shoe - somebody working in the flight deck such as jet engine mechanics, to include air crew and pilots.

When did you retire? I Joined the Navy in December 1975 and retired in 1996.

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 15:49
Dec 07. Newly retired, wala pa ngang disability rating. Currently working as faculty for a local community college since Oct 07, as soon as I went on terminal leave.

Please extend my congratulations to your son. Glad he made it back safe. My son has no plans to join the military, sometimes I wish he would but most of the time I am glad he's not. He's 19, single, and happy to be making 15 bucks an hour working for the Geek Squad and going to school at the same time.

9MX
05-01-2008, 16:15
He's 19, single, and happy to be making 15 bucks an hour working for the Geek Squad and going to school at the same time.

he wasn't drafted? or if drafted, one can refuse?

whats the geek squad?

wtf jack
05-01-2008, 16:57
he wasn't drafted? or if drafted, one can refuse?

whats the geek squad?

The Armed Forces of the United States is composed of 100% volunteers. Gone are the days that people are forced into service.
Geek Squad is owned by Best Buy, a very large electronics and computers retailer. They do on-site computer repairs in homes and businesses. My son repairs computers and networks.

http://www.geeksquad.com/

Poodle
05-04-2008, 18:19
Any ideas why another carrier group is deploying in the Persian Gulf? Might have to visit Iran in June, for interreligious dialogue with peace in view.

wtf jack
05-04-2008, 18:39
Any ideas why another carrier group is deploying in the Persian Gulf? Might have to visit Iran in June, for interreligious dialogue with peace in view.

Iranian point of view:

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=54030&sectionid=3510303

Sword of Damocles hanging over Iran
Fri, 02 May 2008 18:55:13
By Ismail Salami, Press TV

The USS Abraham Lincoln

On April 29, a second American aircraft carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln, arrived in the Persian Gulf in what observers see as a tacit declaration of war on the Islamic Republic of Iran.

US officials say it is only a show of force. They say the US Navy plans to withdraw a carrier group, USS Harry S. Truman, from the region. A US Navy spokesman, Jeff Davis, said the USS Abraham Lincoln would overlap with the departing aircraft carrier USS Harry Truman by "no more than a day or two".

American point of view:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004383088_apwaaircraftcarrierlincoln.html

Aircraft carrier Lincoln enters Persian Gulf

The Pentagon says the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln has entered the Persian Gulf.

It replaced the USS Harry Truman, which is returning to its homeport at Norfolk, Va.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the carriers are a reminder to Iran that the United States is committed to the region.

The Lincoln is based at Everett and left Puget Sound on March 13 for a seven-month deployment.

Two other Everett-based ships, the guided-missile destroyers USS Momsen and Shoup, are part of the Lincoln's strike group.

Clusterbomb
05-05-2008, 01:49
if drafted, one can refuse?

Technically, you cannot- I think it carries a criminal liability not to serve. That's why hippies in the 60s simply went abroad or crossed over to Canada or Mexico.

Cassius Clay used religion to avoid serving in VietNam in the 60s (and changed his name as Muhammad Ali afterwards).

I don't know if being a "conscientious objector" still works today.

Normally the draft is implemented only when there is need for a rapid build-up of manpower. However, even the military establishment is of two minds about the draft.

Those against it say that the MOTIVATION of recruits is not good since they were merely compelled by law to serve/fight. This is especially true in the case of "unpopular" wars like 'Nam.

squidville_1975
05-09-2008, 20:40
The longest I had was 44 days straight no libo time but had a beer day. The day was hot and so was the beer but we did an all day Steel Beach, no flight ops, no evolution of some sort. All the cooks had the whole day off, everyone else did the cooking.
So you were a Snipe? I was a Box Kicker but a blackshoe nonetheless. Then retired after 20 or so years. 72 days straight - UNDER WATER! :supergrin: Bubblehead

exprt9
05-10-2008, 20:34
"Anyone can make rate but only God can make a Boatswain's mate!"

Forward Deployed in Yokusuka, Japan.
USS Oklahoma City CG-5
USS Blue Ridge LCC-19 (2X)
USS Midway CV-41 - over 90 days at sea=free beer. Since the MAA's were my buddy's when we were assigned as Military Policemen at COMFLEACT, Yokosuka Japan I was able to drink a six pack during the Beer day combined with Steel beach picnic while anchored off the coast of Oman.:cheers:

Two Meds and one Persian Gulf deployment on the USS Seattle AOE-3.
Supplied the ships deployed to the Adriatic Sea during the Kosovo Crisis. :patriot:

squidville_1975
05-10-2008, 20:44
"Anyone can make rate but only God can make a Boatswain's mate!"

Forward Deployed in Yokusuka, Japan.
USS Oklahoma City CG-5
USS Blue Ridge LCC-19 (2X)
USS Midway CV-41 - over 90 days at sea=free beer. Since the MAA's were my buddy's when we were assigned as Military Policemen at COMFLEACT, Yokosuka Japan I was able to drink a six pack during the Beer day combined with Steel beach picnic while anchored off the coast of Oman.:cheers:

Two Meds and one Persian Gulf deployment on the USS Seattle AOE-3.
Supplied the ships deployed to the Adriatic Sea during the Kosovo Crisis. :patriot:Hi there shipmate (during my skimmer days), are you coming to Kathryn's wedding next week?

wtf jack
05-10-2008, 23:53
Seattle VS. Sacramento at 30+ knots, Sacramento wins! (we of course cheated by using war-time atomizers in the boilers, plus I placed all the boiler controls at remote manual.)

exprt9
05-11-2008, 08:01
Hi there shipmate (during my skimmer days), are you coming to Kathryn's wedding next week?

Unfortunately we did not get invited. :crying:
If we were, there was no way we could make it since I used up my vacation days when I went home to PI last February.

Musta na lang kay Pareng William and Mareng Alice. Congratulations to Kathryn! :wavey:

PM me Pareng William's phone number while they are here in the U.S.

Regards! :wavey: