OT: Taal Lake in movies, etc. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Taal Lake in movies, etc.

CatsMeow
05-02-2008, 00:04
Hi all,

I was watching "Apocalypse Now" last night, and I had to laugh when the scene showed a chopper flying over... Taal Lake.:supergrin: I remember there was a scene also showing Taal Lake in "Enter the Ninja". Now the rest of the world doesn't care about scenery... but when shown to Filipinos...:supergrin:

And since we're on the subject of Philippine-specific movie errors, don't you just squirm when Gregory Peck in "MacArthur" was pointing out Leyte Gulf during a meeting of generals, and his finger went to.... Lingayen Gulf?:upeyes:

Clusterbomb
05-02-2008, 01:27
"Apocalypse Now" is a classic.

The crowd in the USO show with the Playboy bunnies is made up mostly of UP ROTC cadets- pulled out directly from training in UP Diliman. I should know- it was our batch, ha-ha-ha. Php500 for an overnight gig wasn't bad (it was 1977- may nabibili pa yun noon).

But that wasn't our prize for being extras- the girl in the cowboy hat was really a Playboy bunny- Cindy Wood. Young as we were back then, we had a real kick seeing a real Playboy bunny.

While that movie was being made, local movie outfits were complaining that they couldn't rent guns from the AFP. Lahat daw naka-priority kay Coppola. Our neighbor who was a cameraman for Erap's JE Productions was hired as a 2nd unit camera operator for the helicopter attack scene. He said guns came to the set by the truckloads (AFP 6x6s).

Elizabeth Oropeza was cast daw as a native woman in Brando's lair. Sayang none of her footages made it sa final editing.

BTW, Harrison Ford looked really nerdy in those glasses in that CIA briefing over lunch with Charlie Sheen's character. R. Lee Ermy, the drill sargeant in Full Metal Jacket, was there too, as a helicopter pilot.

Allegra
05-02-2008, 01:27
My fave was this 80's tv show parang indian jones
The bida was takling to the pygmies and the pygmies spoke tagalog. That was real funny

Platoon was shot a few kms from my house
Kilala ko yung mga puno dun

CatsMeow
05-02-2008, 01:41
I wonder what the Americans thought of the "execution" of that carabao... I think it was an Ifugao ceremony, but for those who didn't know better... It was a rather brutal movie, even by today's standards.

A very young Lawrence Fishburne was a crewman on that boat, only he was credited as Larry Fishburne. And yes, if only Harrison Ford's glasses were smaller, but that was 70s style.

Does our Navy still has some of those PBR patrol boats?

Clusterbomb
05-02-2008, 02:16
@Catsmeow

Do you know where I can buy the "Apocalypse Now- Redux" version?

I've been to Odyssey and the other DVD shops but they don't seem to have them. The version I have is one of the two other versions for cinemas. In my DVD, Charlie Sheen's character and the surfer guy simply left Brando's lair/camp without calling the airstrike. When it was shown in Manila's theaters in the 80s, the ending showed the whole lair/camp being blown up as the credits rolled by.

BTW, did you spot young Scott Glenn in Brando's camp?

CatsMeow
05-02-2008, 02:30
I dunno where to get it, what I got was the original version just like yours. If you have relatives in the States, you can have them get it for you at Amazon.com, only it will be Region I. Mine didn't even show the scene with the Frenchmen and the military honors burial of one of the crewmen; anyway I'll check the menu again. However, I think in the menu the ending you are referring to can be accessed. I wanted to watch that blowing-up scene last night but I was already sleepy.:supergrin:

I think I remember Scott Glenn.. he was that Special Forces captain with a shotgun. Didn't say a word.

jerrytrini
05-02-2008, 07:55
Some of the scenes were shot in Iba, Zambales. Marlon Brando and Francis Coppola were billeted in my Uncle's beach resort. In fact Carmine Coppola married my cousin.

horge
05-02-2008, 08:30
Does our Navy still has some of those PBR patrol boats?

AFAIK, all were decommed and many wound up with the Coast Guard,
which in time scrapped them na rin. BER daw.