best all around pocket knife [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : best all around pocket knife

mariner19
05-02-2008, 22:38
what pocket knife would you guys recommend? manual folder? automatic? what brand? i'm thinking of a knife that's good for utility, self-defense, etc. reliable and durable.

BrassKnuckle
05-03-2008, 00:03
what pocket knife would you guys recommend? manual folder? automatic? what brand? i'm thinking of a knife that's good for utility, self-defense, etc. reliable and durable.

There's such a thing as the "law of inverse utility" which states that the more things a gadget is designed to do, the less efficiently it can do any of those.

A bowie knife would be better than a swiss knife for self defense, and a regular pair of scissors would cut better than those on a swiss knife, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not discouraging you from taking a one-size-fits-all approach. Just be reminded that there are compromises involved and it is best that you consider them when making your final choice.

saki1611
05-03-2008, 01:01
why not try a leatherman or gerber pocket multi-tool? folded or not can be used as a self-defense tool (serves as a kubotan), espcially the long-nose driver.

batangueno
05-03-2008, 04:45
Any folding knife with a good lock, easy to open, quality steel would be good. Good brands are benchmade, spyderco, cold steel, kershaw, crkt, al mar. The more expensive ones are microtech, emerson, chris reeve.

For utility use, i suppose you should stay away from the exotic blade profiles, claw types and such. Something with a 3" blade would be a good all around knife.

wtf jack
05-03-2008, 07:20
This is an Emerson Mini-Commander with the wave feature. Not too expensive, not too big, not too fancy. Very tough knife and very quick on the draw.

Link to Emerson knives -

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

Link to wave feature -

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/001-6-1.jpg

Eye Cutter
05-03-2008, 08:32
get a knife with a liner lock. it's more robust and is safer to use. lesser chance that it will accidentally close in your hands.

jerrytrini
05-03-2008, 08:54
get a knife with a liner lock. it's more robust and is safer to use. lesser chance that it will accidentally close in your hands.

My carry knife on/off duty was a Frost Cutlery (Japan made) half plain and half serrated. It has served me well picking dead bolts and cutting steel cables. Make sure sure it is all steel, no plastic or fiberglass handles.

wtf jack
05-03-2008, 09:44

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/002-3-1.jpg

bikethief
05-03-2008, 18:39
+1 on the Emerson.

SOE carries the biggest selection of knives in the country. Why not go there and see what fits?

felix1985
05-03-2008, 18:44
I can't find anything i like better for the money than a kershaw.

Allegra
05-03-2008, 19:23
My Cold steel has served me very well numerous times
4 inch tanto , half serrated
Cuts thru flesh and cartilage cleanly
Di ka na pipila , direcho ka na agad dun sa lechon
A few slashes of the CS dala mo na laman at balat

batangueno
05-03-2008, 23:31
:laughabove: hahaha magandang pang-test ng blade yan.

tglahn17
05-03-2008, 23:45
Spyderco Delica or Native with Spyderedge blade. If you can spend more money, Syderco Harpy Spyderedge with carbon fiber scales. That's my every day carry. Good luck,

Kaiser Soze
05-04-2008, 04:10
It depends on your budget bro, and for what kind of utility use...if you'll be cutting a lot of rope or cord, get one with serrations. If you're going to be using it for self-defense, get one with a plain edge as serrations may catch on bone.

For the budget concious, the Spyderco Tenacious is a great knife, very versatile and has good, grippy handles (they're made of G10) and the liner lock is also solid. Spyderco has made a lot of good knives in the past, but this is a real value for money knife.

As for self defense, I think that nothing beats Emerson knives. Dirt easy to use, and almost no care needed. A little pricey at first, but you know what you're paying for once you have one in your hand.

bertud ng putik
05-04-2008, 07:42
emerson daw ang ok! nag punta ako sa SOE last week. ang gaganda ng emerson grabe! bandang hapon ako nag punta, sayang at umaga or tanghali nag punta si melbu. sayang at di kami nagkita.

mariner19
05-04-2008, 21:15
thank you to all who replied. really appreciate it! :cool: i actually went to SOE the other day and manny gave very helpful tips and advice similar to what you guys are saying. i was able to narrow down the purpose of the knife (self-defense) since i already have a Gerber multi-tool and a Swiss knife. The Emersons are really nice. Mag iipon muna ako :supergrin:

mariner19
05-04-2008, 21:16
actually excuse ko lang yata ang self-defense. i think it's just really nice to have a cool pocket knife :supergrin:

Punisher_nbi45
05-04-2008, 22:55
If you're budget conscious, I think you should probably go with cold steel. Their knives are okay, and they're reasonably affordable.

All the other brands mentioned above would make great carry knives / all-around utility knives.

If you really want a rough-and-tumble, workhorse knife that you wouldn't mind abusing, I'd recommend Zero Tolerance or Strider. Especially Strider.

I have a GB. Despite how big it looks, it just fits right in my hand (well, i do have large hands). There are other strider folders that are smaller, but the common characteristic with all of them is that they are quality-made and built to withstand the toughest abuse you could reasonably dish out.

My 2 cents worth.

darwin25
05-05-2008, 01:04
why not try a leatherman or gerber pocket multi-tool? folded or not can be used as a self-defense tool (serves as a kubotan), espcially the long-nose driver.

+1 The Gerber Multi-tool excels on this one. The exposed long nose plier is a great impact device

Another one is the Cold Steel AK-47 knife. The exact same knife that saved my life last year during a knife fight with 3 holduppers. Like the emrson knives, The Cold Steel AK-47 has a neat waved feature for quick and easy deployment. The exact same feature that allowed me to quickly deploy my knife during the fight.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/darwin25/AK47knife.gif

Clusterbomb
05-05-2008, 01:06
Spyderco Delica or Native with Spyderedge blade. If you can spend more money, Syderco Harpy Spyderedge with carbon fiber scales. That's my every day carry. Good luck,

I've handled a friend's Spyderco Native and I must say I found the grip to be one of the most comfortable for my hands. Sayang, they don't sell those here anymore. Last time I saw one was at Hahn, Megamall about two years ago. They haven't restocked them ever since.

darwin25
05-05-2008, 01:09
emerson daw ang ok! nag punta ako sa SOE last week. ang gaganda ng emerson grabe! bandang hapon ako nag punta, sayang at umaga or tanghali nag punta si melbu. sayang at di kami nagkita.

:shame:

mariner19
05-05-2008, 01:45
:shame:

any negative comments on the emersons?

btw, i came across this while checking out knife-carry laws in the RP:

BATAS PAMBANSA BILANG 6

AN ACT REDUCING THE PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF BLADED, POINTED OR BLUNT WEAPONS, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBERED NINE.
.chan robles virtual law library
.chan robles virtual law library
Section 1. Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows: .chan robles virtual law library
"3. It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct.".chan robles virtual law library
Sec. 2. Article twenty-two of the Revised Penal Code shall apply to persons previously convicted under paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine..chan robles virtual law library
Sec. 3. Any law or ordinance which is inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed..chan robles virtual law library

Sec. 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval..chan robles virtual law library

darwin25
05-05-2008, 01:47
any negative comments on the emersons?

No. Not the emerson. It's about his other comment.

bertud ng putik
05-05-2008, 02:41

what comment? did i say something wrong??? its true! hindi kami nag pang abot. first time ko sana sya makita in person. sa mga pics ko lang sya nakikita eh.

bertud ng putik
05-05-2008, 02:43

FYI close na kami noh.:supergrin:

darwin25
05-05-2008, 02:45
what comment? did i say something wrong??? its true! hindi kami nag pang abot. first time ko sana sya makita in person. sa mga pics ko lang sya nakikita eh.

Bro, everyone knows nagkakainitan kayo ni bro melbu sa kabilang forum. Sana lang wag mo dalin pa dito yung di nyo pagkakaunawaan. Yun lang

bertud ng putik
05-05-2008, 02:55
Bro, everyone knows nagkakainitan kayo ni bro melbu sa kabilang forum. Sana lang wag mo dalin pa dito yung di nyo pagkakaunawaan. Yun lang

its our problem, not yours. ok na nga kami eh, samahan mo na lang kami mag coffee ni melbs.:tongueout:

darwin25
05-05-2008, 03:01
its our problem, not yours. ok na nga kami eh, samahan mo na lang kami mag coffee ni melbs.:tongueout:

Basta in good terms why not. Pero kung sarcastic yan kayo na lang. Ayoko magkape sa ibang bahay.

Valor1
05-05-2008, 03:14
BAck to regular broadcasting. I prefer the Emerson, Zero Tolerance and Strider Knives. I used to like my Coldsteel, pero ng tumabi sa tatlong brands na sinabi ko, feeling ko dala ko Toyota Altis versus the BMWs. Galing ng quality ng tatlong brands na na-mention ko.

Allegra
05-05-2008, 03:30
Ano ba kaibahan nila sa isat isa?
Wala naman ako makitang difference kundi presyo at porma
May caliber din ba yang knife?? Mas masakit ba masaksak ng emerson?

How do you defend yurself w/ those knives anyway?
Parang mas mabilis pa tumakbo kesa magbukas nyan

mariner19
05-05-2008, 04:46

hahaha :rofl: good question. seriously, i'm leaning towards an emerson because of the quality and the "wave" feature. pero ipon muna :)

Valor1
05-05-2008, 05:18
Pero ako mas gusto ko baril dahil may PTC. sa pocket knife hirap ipaliwanag pag nahulihan ka. bad trip.

wtf jack
05-05-2008, 06:11
hahaha :rofl: good question. seriously, i'm leaning towards an emerson because of the quality and the "wave" feature. pero ipon muna :)

Magkano ba ang Emerson Mini-commander sa SOE?

Kaiser Soze
05-05-2008, 08:46

Hehehe, we hear that question a lot sir.

Emerson knives were designed for serious use, with very good 154CM steel for edge retention and hardness, and the grips are G10 so they aren't slippery even when wet.

As for how to defend yourself with the knife, that's where training ang mindset come in, much like the shooting discipline, it's all alien when you begin, but it becomes second nature with practice.:embarassed:

Lastly, I think you'd be very surprised to see how fast it is to open and use, because of the wave feature. Why don't you stop by the shop sometime sir, and you'll see that both knife and firearm have their place in your EDC kit, and they both have great uses. Bien and Manny would be very happy to share what they've shared with a lot of BOG and PG members :D

Allegra
05-05-2008, 09:17
Hehehe, we hear that question a lot sir.

Emerson knives were designed for serious use, with very good 154CM steel for edge retention and hardness, and the grips are G10 so they aren't slippery even when wet.

As for how to defend yourself with the knife, that's where training ang mindset come in, much like the shooting discipline, it's all alien when you begin, but it becomes second nature with practice.:embarassed:

Lastly, I think you'd be very surprised to see how fast it is to open and use, because of the wave feature. Why don't you stop by the shop sometime sir, and you'll see that both knife and firearm have their place in your EDC kit, and they both have great uses. Bien and Manny would be very happy to share what they've shared with a lot of BOG and PG members :D

Yup,I've been planning to jan sa SOE for quite sometimew now
Until now , wala pa rin ako bag

Actually , I've practiced "drawing" it and flicking it open when my knife was new, 9 years ago yata :) pinauso ni Jerry Barnhart magdala ng folder sa IPSC.( Siguro ayaw din pumila sa lechon sa awarding )

Mindset is right
While I could visualize shooting someone sa gipitan
I'm not sure I'm ready to cut someone open and see his guts spill out hehe
Dapat talaga my training , nang di ka kelangan mag dalawang isip when the time comes to defend yourself

mariner19
05-05-2008, 09:28
Pero ako mas gusto ko baril dahil may PTC. sa pocket knife hirap ipaliwanag pag nahulihan ka. bad trip.

yup that's my worry too. especially with vague statements in the law like "...except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity."

what constitutes "pursuit of a lawful activity"?

when i carry, at least i know for a fact that i'm allowed to by virtue of my PTC. if i bring a knife, pag nasita tayo we're vulnerable to the LEO's interpretation of the situation.

arzon
05-05-2008, 11:24
One of the reasons I don't carry a pricey knife. Hanggang waved Endura lang ako or Kershaw Lahar. Masakit sa loob at bulsa kung magiging "giveaway" lang.

Kaiser Soze
05-05-2008, 20:12
yup that's my worry too. especially with vague statements in the law like "...except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity."

what constitutes "pursuit of a lawful activity"?

when i carry, at least i know for a fact that i'm allowed to by virtue of my PTC. if i bring a knife, pag nasita tayo we're vulnerable to the LEO's interpretation of the situation.

A lot of things can be defined as "lawful activities" even self-defense, and the preservation of life and property.

The only places you should worry about carrying a knife at is Pasay City and Camanava because of strict anti-knife ordinances.

jasonub
05-05-2008, 23:17
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/chefknivestogo_2001_12103933

jasonub
05-05-2008, 23:25
http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/henckel/images/21377.jpg

Allegra
05-06-2008, 03:51
Chef Jason??

batangueno
05-07-2008, 07:56
Kelangan mo pa ng holster nyan parang matadero. :supergrin:

TTPower
05-07-2008, 08:35
this looks like a good all around knife

http://www.leatherman.com/products/knives/k502x-k503x/default.asp

Taurus
05-07-2008, 20:32
Balisong.

compact
proven
effective
cheap
locally made
undeniably intimidating

what more do you need?

bertud ng putik
05-08-2008, 02:30
Balisong.

compact
proven
effective
cheap
locally made
undeniably intimidating

what more do you need?

AYUZ!

Clusterbomb
05-08-2008, 04:14
Kelangan mo pa ng holster nyan parang matadero. :supergrin:

Yes! Don't wear a shirt, don a pair of rubber boots and haul a pig's carcass and you can tell any cop that those knives are used in pursuit of lawful activity.

bwheeler03
06-06-2008, 15:45
This is an Emerson Mini-Commander with the wave feature. Not too expensive, not too big, not too fancy. Very tough knife and very quick on the draw.

Link to Emerson knives -

http://www.emersonknives.com/Tact_index.html

Link to wave feature -

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j72/torrescg/001-6-1.jpg

+1 for emerson. I carry a CQC 7 with Wave. It is awesome.

Kaiser Soze
06-07-2008, 03:03
Balisong.

compact
proven
effective
cheap
locally made
undeniably intimidating

what more do you need?

I love the balisong as well, and have both local and foreign ones... unfortunately I've also encountered LEO's who automatically assume that a balisong is for use as a weapon and not a tool...and they're right. The balisong was designed as a weapon first and foremost. That's why I lean towards a folder because it's not so commonly used in street crimes.

ampao
02-17-2011, 16:56
I've handled a friend's Spyderco Native and I must say I found the grip to be one of the most comfortable for my hands. Sayang, they don't sell those here anymore. Last time I saw one was at Hahn, Megamall about two years ago. They haven't restocked them ever since.
_3hich spyde native you want serrated or plain? C:\Documents and Settings\Cui Family\My Documents\My Pictures\attachments_2009_120

ampao
02-17-2011, 17:01
C:\Documents and Settings\Cui Family\My Documents\My Pictures\attachments_2009_12_30

Kaiser Soze
02-17-2011, 17:45
SOE just received a HUGE delivery of pocket knives, tomahawks, hunting & skinning knives! Knives for every budget, from makers like Spyderco, Gerber, Camillus (yes, the company is back from the dead), Buck (another comeback kid), Bradley Cutlery, Mcusta Knives of Japan!!!

darth board
02-17-2011, 19:18
i also have an emerson mini commander. it's a great knife and the only thing that i'm worried of is baka pag nasita ako ng mga pulis kotong siguradong kukursunadahin.

Duckman1975
02-19-2011, 06:04
I carry a leatherman everyday its very useful, remember the saying better have it and not use it or not have it and need it.... its very true in my case
Saved me time and grief a lot of times.
I have 3 leathermans the SURGE which is huge but very heavy duty I carry it at work in the farm. The Charge smaller full size multitool which I carry in family outing and the Skeletool a very light multitool which I carry if I needed something very light and basic.
Multitools will not replace a real tool but most of the time the tool in the multitools are good enough.
And all the multitools mentioned above all have a dissent blades, all are liner locked and can be opened one handed.

1911GS
02-19-2011, 07:18
Sir what is the contact no. of SOE?nice to see you last thursday sir kaiser I'm the one asking about the fenix light for bikes.sir may source ba tayo for busse knives?

ampao
02-19-2011, 23:13
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=214242&stc=1&d=1298178697

smoothisfastmanila
02-21-2011, 07:25
Sir, this won't hurt your wallet for EDC:
http://www.crkt.com/KISS

here's another sample that you won't worry about the blade collapsing on your fingers...or you ditching after "using"...
http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist-Neck-Knife-Razor-Sharp-Edge

and here is a hi-tech version of a proven "ditch-able-inmate-type-tool"
http://www.coldsteel.com/deltadart.html

________

You are in the business because you are breathing. -- Louise Armstrong

Wp.22
02-21-2011, 08:05
I was able to buy a spyderco persistence today at SOE for my brother living in CDO. Primary purpose is for mango peeling and grafting daw. Had it shipped this afternoon

ess45
02-23-2011, 02:09
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee107/ess45/Blade009X.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee107/ess45/Blade012X.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee107/ess45/e51d840f.jpg