I didn't know this forum existed until today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know this forum existed until today

Chad Landry
05-04-2008, 00:51
I started a watch thread in GNG, and Rampage hinted at a "watch forum".

So I decided to check out the forums, and here you are.

I have nothing to brag about, but I do appreciate fine timepieces.

I hope to get some pictures of my dad's collection of antique clocks and pocket watches. He has some old photos of his collection when it was at it's peak. He still has quite a few.

Of course, I'll have to make a 525 mile trip to take photos of his current collection, and scan what he's had in the past.

He was about my age when he became obsessed with time-pieces, so I guess I can understand his obsession, though it baffled me when I was younger.

FWIW, I would rather wear a wrist watch than a pocket watch, but I'd rather display a pocket watch than a wrist watch.

I don't see many people wearing any sort of watch these days. Their cell phones seem to serve as a sort of 21st century "pocket watch", though they have no class.

HerrGlock
05-04-2008, 01:06
...and you thought flashlights were addictive... :animlol:

Chad Landry
05-04-2008, 02:23
...and you thought flashlights were addictive... :animlol:

I gotta say, though, that my ol' man never caught on to the flashlight bug.

Of course, his time-piece addiction peaked in 1979, when he suffered a disabling back injury. That's when he began selling off most of his collection.

He still has quite a number of clocks, several watches, a few guns, a ****load of coins, and a few collectible "oddities" (Confederate currency, memorabilia from early "World's Fairs", and other interesting items).

His interests are so varied, that it makes me wonder what strange fascinations I may find ahead of myself.

I'll credit him with my love of guns and watches.

When I was a teenager, he gave me an absolutely gorgeous gold Omega wrist-watch, with a 10K gold solid band (it was really solid, no links except where it attached to the watch). I wish I could find a picture to show you all the beauty of this old watch.

I lost it on one irresponsible night, when I was 19, and I still regret my foolishness to this day.

I don't think he could have bought me a car to rival this watch, and I really love cars.

I have no idea what that watch was worth, and he never made an issue of it. Only recently did I think I might get another Omega, and I was shocked at their prices. I had no idea that he had given me such a jewel.

He still won't tell me what he had invested in that one.

He never pays straight "money" for such things, there's always a trade involved, with a little "boot" from one side or the other.

HerrGlock
05-04-2008, 03:07
Horse trading is the best way to do it! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking that it's probably an excellent thing that I never got into cars other than as a passing thing. They've never made me lose sleep one way or another.

Of course my '71 Duster might need a 426 dropped in it :supergrin:

Chad Landry
05-04-2008, 03:22
Horse trading is the best way to do it! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking that it's probably an excellent thing that I never got into cars other than as a passing thing. They've never made me lose sleep one way or another.

Of course my '71 Duster might need a 426 dropped in it :supergrin:

Fly me in to help you beef up the frame and drivetrain, when you decide to make that conversion. :rofl: