Best state in Northeast for hunting, fishing, etc [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best state in Northeast for hunting, fishing, etc

WFR
06-23-2002, 13:40
I posted this in GNG but also wanted to get some input here!
PA, VA and north of there, which states offer the best action for big game and trout fishing?
Also I am an avid backpacker and love to hit the trail without having to travel too far!
Give me all the goods. Plan on moving up after the 4th of July! Thanks!

Son Tao
06-26-2002, 02:54
Before I left for Korea, I lived in Pennsylvania. The hunting and fishing is outstanding... especially if you're into whitetails. I've hunted whitetails with everything from revolvers to bows.

In addition, the fishing is also great. Lots of trout streams, walleyes, pike, muskey, striped bass, etc.

Another great state for outdoors stuff is Maine. There you can get some BIG elk too.

Poodleshooter
06-28-2002, 05:02
I really like NY. You can get excellent salmon and trout fishing up there. The Adirondacks are stupendous for backpacking, and Ontario is great for boating, canoeing, fishing and waterfowl.
The last time I fished Ontario, a friend and I caught and released over 100 lake rainbows in less than 3 hours. (The lake was turning over, and the oxygenated spots that the fish liked were few and far between.)
Then again, while it isn't in the northeast, VA is an awesome place to be an outdoorsman.

WFR
06-30-2002, 03:38
I was in Charlottesville, VA on Friday night!
I'll be moving to Chambersburg, PA or the surrounding area of south central PA this month (July). What are the hunting & fishing highlights of this area?

Poodleshooter
07-01-2002, 12:38
My parents lived near Chambersburg for a while. Trout fishing is really great in most of southern PA. Know how to fly fish?
WFR: Too bad I didn't know, I could have shown you our local range, and introduced a few local Glocktalkers!

Phredd
07-02-2002, 01:38
As regards fishing in NY. It is great, but you have to be careful. When you buy your license, they actually tell you the number and type of fish you can eat by species and location due to the
massive pollution in the state's steams & lakes.
:( :( :( :(

WFR
07-04-2002, 17:05
Poodleshooter, When I travel back down I-81 to get my stuff in GA I'll PM you first. Some range time and meeting GTers would be great.
Moving to Carlisle,PA or thereabouts by the end of the month.

Pseudochron
07-12-2002, 13:17
Originally posted by WFR
Moving to Carlisle,PA or thereabouts by the end of the month.

Carlisle is actually a great place for hunting. Lots of deer around that area and the population is very pro-gun / hunter.

Pennsylvania in general is a pretty nice place to live if you like the outdoors. There's enough development that the quality of life is still good, but there is a lot of open land and forest around as well. Try taking a trip up to Tioga sometime. Really beautiful place. You'll also find a place called the grand-canyon of PA there. Nice stream running through with some decent fishing. Plenty of places around Carlisle for fishing and hunting. Hope you like it up here. Weather isn't bad, but we do have a winter!