Ruger LCP report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LCP report

mmcbeat
05-04-2008, 20:57
I bought a Ruger LCP at the gun show yesterday and took it to the range today.

First of all, I promise NOT to tell you how many rounds I "sent flawlessly down the pipe", NOT to tell you what I paid "OTD", NOT to tell you that I shot 1" groups at 75 yards, NOT to refer to it as "my Elsie Pea", and finally I promise NOT to post pictures of my targets.

CONS:
The gun is not fun to shoot, definitely not something I will be taking to the range on a regular basis when I feel like having a good time.

The sights are very small and the sight radius is short, the gun is not very accurate.

Capacity is only 6 + 1.

Slide does not lock back when empty.

Only came with one mag (I would much rather have an extra mag than the cute little gun rug and lock that came with the gun).

Its a mouse caliber, .380 ACP.

PROS:
Very small, light and concealable.

Price is somewhat reasonable.

So far, it seems to be reliable.

All things considered, I am happy with the purchase. Its pretty much what I expected. I am not kidding myself by thinking this will be my primary carry gun. It will be used as a back up or when everything else is too large to carry. I plan to shoot another 100 rounds to make sure it is reliable then it will not be shot much, maybe 7 rounds a month (the mag + 1) just to make sure it still works and to maintain some degree of profieciency on my part.

I recommend this gun if you recognize its limitations and do not expect too much from it.

positivelymaybe
05-05-2008, 16:45
Fired my new LCP today and it is small(very) and you have to hang on a bit because of the size but its very very controllable and so far after 100 rounds it works!!

buddah
05-05-2008, 21:32
"Positevlymaybe" where did you get your LCP from. I am on Long Island, NY and none of the dealers have any in stock yet. A few buddies of mine are still on waiting lists.

positivelymaybe
05-06-2008, 08:41
I got mine at D&F in Brooklyn. He had two in stock last week. One is now MINE!

buddah
05-07-2008, 11:14
Thanks for the info. I bought my G-27 from D&F a few yrs. back.

Truckee
05-13-2008, 14:12
Can someone explain why Ruger would incorporate a slide lock in its LCP design, but not have it lock back on the last round? I have one on order... I think I'll just stay with my P3AT.

I have several -older- Ruger arms that I like very much. However, my new Ruger arrived askew in its stock and has a plastic trigger group.

What's going on at Ruger?

Carlson1
05-14-2008, 03:00
Bought 2 of them for BUG for wife and I. I am waiting on the second one to get here this week before a range trip. It seems better made than the Kel Tec.

Truckee
05-14-2008, 09:26
It seems better made than the Kel Tec.

Well, that's what I thought. Now, I'm not too sure. I "thought" it locked back on the last round; a main reason I ordered one.

I noticed that Ruger's extractor is like the KT Gen-1. Don't know if that's a better extractor or not, but I think that I like it better.

sjones
05-15-2008, 14:25
I just bought one also,it went through 120 rounds without any problems but as the 1st poster said,its not a fun gun to take to the range.It will be my edc when I can't carry my G-19.no complaints so far.sj

tommom
05-16-2008, 06:00
Hi everyone,

I've been a member for some time but this is my first post.

Truckee,

I would like to address your concerns.

I suspect that the slide does not lock back for the same reason it does not lock back on the KT P-3AT. This is merely because the gun is too thin to accommodate the .380 barrel AND and internal slide lock.

Ruger likely decided to add the manual slide lock as this would be very useful for clearing certain types of jams. Double feeds come into mind where in order to effectively clear the jam, the slide needs to be locked back before the magazine can be manually extracted from the gun.

As for the extractor, in my opinion, the Ruger and first gen KT extractor is far superior to the KT second gen design. The KT 2nd gen design appears to be merely a method of cutting the cost of manufacturing the gun (as was the switch from hexagonal bar stock to round bar stock for the slide). In the KT second gen design, when the screw holding in the extractor starts to back itself out out due to the repeated recoil, the gun will fail to extract the spent cartridge and will jam. This happened on my 2nd gen P-3AT after approximately 400 rounds. It was remedied by removing, cleaning, and re-inserting the screw with fresh loc-tite. However, after this I did not trust the gun to be reliable. I sold it and convinced the guy who bought my P32 to sell the P32 (first gen with proper extractor) back to me. Sure it is a weaker caliber but it has been totally reliable. I would love to have a KT PF-9 but refuse to buy one as it uses the same KT 2nd gen extractor.

With that said, I have been on the waiting list for the LCP for a few weeks now. Mine should be in in the next week or so. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Truckee
05-17-2008, 06:06
Hi everyone,

I've been a member for some time but this is my first post.

Truckee,

I would like to address your concerns.

I suspect that the slide does not lock back for the same reason it does not lock back on the KT P-3AT. This is merely because the gun is too thin to accommodate the .380 barrel AND and internal slide lock.

Ruger likely decided to add the manual slide lock as this would be very useful for clearing certain types of jams. Double feeds come into mind where in order to effectively clear the jam, the slide needs to be locked back before the magazine can be manually extracted from the gun.

As for the extractor, in my opinion, the Ruger and first gen KT extractor is far superior to the KT second gen design. The KT 2nd gen design appears to be merely a method of cutting the cost of manufacturing the gun (as was the switch from hexagonal bar stock to round bar stock for the slide). In the KT second gen design, when the screw holding in the extractor starts to back itself out out due to the repeated recoil, the gun will fail to extract the spent cartridge and will jam. This happened on my 2nd gen P-3AT after approximately 400 rounds. It was remedied by removing, cleaning, and re-inserting the screw with fresh loc-tite. However, after this I did not trust the gun to be reliable. I sold it and convinced the guy who bought my P32 to sell the P32 (first gen with proper extractor) back to me. Sure it is a weaker caliber but it has been totally reliable. I would love to have a KT PF-9 but refuse to buy one as it uses the same KT 2nd gen extractor.

With that said, I have been on the waiting list for the LCP for a few weeks now. Mine should be in in the next week or so. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Tommom,
Welcome to a feller Virginian! Nice first post to bring ya out of the closet... thanks much for your input. I look forward to seeing ya around the board.

I've pondered the reasons for Ruger's slide lock. My musings have included your thoughts.

According to KT, and yes I asked them, you're correct that the P3AT does not have enough 'room' to incorporate a slide lock. Therefore, KT didn't even give it a second thought and omitted one altogether.

Ruger, on the other hand, decided that they had room for some variation on the slide stop and put one in its design. Now, I haven't looked at the LCP other than in pictures. But, the slide stop seems to, at least, line up with the back of the magazine. I just wonder "why," since the lever is already there... that Ruger couldn't interface it with the magazine follower and create a real last shot slide stop...? I mean, it's there... unlike KT where one doesn't even exist... so, what's the problem? Seems like Ruger simply stopped short. I understand that it may not be that simple... here again, maybe it is just that simple.

Onward to the jam thing. If I have a .380 that double feeds on me in a fight, I'm not looking for the slide-stop fix. I'm performing a phase I or II clear drill. If both fail, I'm ditching the pistol and opting for the Nikes. Therefore, Ruger could just have well left its slide stop out of the design.

Thanks for your experience with the KT Gen-2 extractor. Many have agreed with you that it isn't an improvement.

Please do offer your feedback when your LCP arrives. I'm looking forward to reading your critique.

Keep safe and "welcome" again,
Truck

tommom
05-17-2008, 08:44
Truckee,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I would agree with you on the actions to be taken if my .380 were to jam. If I'm using this little gun in the first place, it is because I couldn't carry one of my primary guns in a larger caliber with real sights, grips, mass, etc... or I had to resort to this as my BUG. In either case, whoever I was pointing it at when it jammed would likely be very close to me so I would have to agree that I would likely not be investing the necessary time to clear a complicated jam. More than likely I'd try to poke them in the eye with it and do my best to get the heck out of there.

As for the mechanics of the slide stop, looking at the LCP parts drawing in their manual, this appears to take the KT concept on the ejector (a small steel set into a cutout milled into the aluminum frame) and extend it to the left through a cutout in the plastic grip. My P32 by comparison has a legitimate stamped steel slide stop mounted inside the frame with a pivot and a spring to keep it in the down position until the mag follower contacts it. To put a similar "real" slide stop in the P-3AT/LCP would definitely require the gun(s) to be widened slightly.

The more I think about it the more the LCP slide stop comes across as more of a gimick to "one up" the KT. I don't mind as my primary reasons for purchasing are the extractor configuration and the added mass over the P-3AT. The P-3AT was just a bit too jumpy in my hand for me to be totally comfortable with it as I would usually have to re-adjust my grip after about every three or four rounds because the gun wanted to climb out of my hand under recoil. I would have tried one of those rubber grip sleeves if I hadn't had the problems with the extractor coming loose.

Take care.

Truckee
05-17-2008, 12:45
Thanks again Tommom for your outlook on things.

Yeah, that was kinda my point with Ruger's slide stop, "gimick." Or maybe Ruger's attempt to avert being sued by KT.

And yep, the P3AT is jumpy, agreed. But, like you say, I carry it as a BUG... when I carry it at all. So, I figure in a BUG situation, I'm not really worried about it jumping around in my grip. Under that threat and punch, I doubt that four rounds will be cleaned out of it anyhow... and if so, I'm scared enough, and close enough to target, that a little movement is the least of my frets.

LOL on punchin' an eye out with a jammed pocket gun. I was thinking more along the lines of crammin' it up the BG where his sun ain't shinin'!

Take care and good to see a "Homey" on the boards,
Truck

halfmoonclip
05-17-2008, 13:20
IMHO, the LCP slide stop is for administrative handling/range use...our range wants guns empty, mags out, and slides back/cylinders open before anybody goes downrange.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet Ruger tried having a last-round slidestop function, and had some kind of trouble...the slide staying back with rounds in the gun, or not staying back while empty. So they just made it manual and called it good; not a big deal.
Moon

Truckee
05-17-2008, 15:24
IMHO, the LCP slide stop is for administrative handling/range use...our range wants guns empty, mags out, and slides back/cylinders open before anybody goes downrange.
If I were a betting man, I'd bet Ruger tried having a last-round slidestop function, and had some kind of trouble...the slide staying back with rounds in the gun, or not staying back while empty. So they just made it manual and called it good; not a big deal.
Moon

Good thoughts moon... you may be on the trail. Doubtful Ruger really cared about the range rules. But, your second idea might just be on the mark... heck, your first one probably is too.

The lock isn't a big deal, I agree. However, it was one of the things that had me taking a look at the LCP. I hoped, and after reading the truth, I :crying: lol

Later,
Truck

halfmoonclip
05-17-2008, 18:36
Truck, it might just be a CYA thing as well; in case of a negligent discharge while the gun is being handled, Ruger can plausibly claim the gun should have been at slide lock.
My P3AT of course has no stop, and there are times I wish it did, but it's not a deal breaker either way.
Moon

rlord
09-24-2009, 18:39
I picked my LCP up this week and fired about 100 rounds through it and had a lot of spent cartridge jams. I brought it home and field stripped it,cleaned it up
and will try it again tomorrow. Also I thought getting the pin back in was a pain in the butt, hope that gets easier over time. The trigger has a loooooooong pull
without the Crimson trace I couldn't of hit a barn with it. However with the laser
I was able to be really accurate at 30 and 40 feet. Quite concerned with the amount of jams on the initial shoot. The good news is my stock Glock 33 now feel like it has a hair trigger and I now REALLLLLLLY appreciate it's , feel, action and reliablity.
I bought the LCP because we RV a lot with dogs and are walking them in Rest Areas a lot and needed something to carry in the pocket. It is much smaller than my wallet and smooth getting in and out.

Colorado4Wheel
09-25-2009, 08:48
Can someone explain why Ruger would incorporate a slide lock in its LCP design, but not have it lock back on the last round? I have one on order... I think I'll just stay with my P3AT.

I think the slide stop on the LCP is brilliant. On a dedicated CCW I prefer to NOT have something that I can accidentally activate. Especially, with a gun this small. Ruger was nice enough to install the slide lock but made it so itís impossible to activate by accident. When you want to load the gun I prefer to load from slide lock and release the slide so it goes forward as if after recoil. This eliminates ďriding the slideĒ issues when loading the first round.

Having only looked at the P3AT and having shot the LCP only 50rds I will say this. From a esthetic point of view the LCP is a much, much nicer finished gun. I had zero issues with the first 50rds as well. The trigger is a DAO revolver trigger. For what it is designed to be itís a perfectly acceptable trigger. If you have no experience with a revolver it might be difficult but for me it was fine. It comes packed with heavy grease so it does need to be cleaned before the first firing. I cleaned and dry fired mine a bunch before my first range trip. If you look at the design of the LCP you can see itís a well designed pistol. I donít know what the KelTecís insides look like but to me Ruger did a great job on this pistol. I need more .380 ammo before it gets a complete thumbs up but so far I am pleased and impressed with this pistol.

den888
10-21-2009, 21:18
Thanks for the report !

Truckee
10-22-2009, 11:04
Hi Colorado.

I had no doubts that the LCP was a "finer" pistol than the KT. I confirmed such when my LCP arrived... which btw, I owned for only an hour or so. A partner wanted it for his BUG. I gave it to him without ever shooting it.

I've been around long enough that my first issued was a S&W .357 (thanks for the reminder, dang I'm old!) Yep, familiar with a revolver trigger. A reason I snicker when others complain about the Glock trigger.

I suspect the slide lock on such a small piece could easily be accidentally activated. That agreed, I've shot another partner's P32. I've not incidentally shoved it into slide lock; albeit a "less violent" pistol than the .380.

Thank you much for the feedback and review.
Keep safe,
Truck

Dunkler Vagabond
11-20-2009, 08:31
I really like the LCP as well and I use it as my EDC. It is so comfortable to carry that you really feel like you are carrying nothing at all. I am used to carrying a Bulgarian Makarov in an Uncle Mike's, so this thing is a dream. How many of you guys have fired your actual carry rounds through your lcp? I use speer gold dots 90grn HP and the very first shot I fired jammed. It freaked me out to say the least, but I have fired 6 rounds of gold dot thru it since then with no more jams. I think its very important to shoot your carry stuff a few times to make sure it will function like you expect. That being said I am gonna put about 200 rnds of FMJ thru it this weekend! I will also have to disagree about the gun being fun to shoot. Maybe if your hands are pretty big, it would be a hassle, but with the butt plate extension it really makes a difference in the handling of the LCP.

halfmoonclip
11-20-2009, 09:02
So this thread is back from the dead...
Agreed that you ought to shoot your carry ammo...since premium stuff is hyper expensive, and often hard to find in quantity, I've resorted to just using the WWB flat points.
As the .380 crisis seems to be easing, I may try to find enough Silver Tips or something to test hop. I'm not completely convinced that a .380 can be driven hard enough to give PENETRATION and EXPANSION.
Moon

Dunkler Vagabond
11-20-2009, 09:17
So this thread is back from the dead...
Agreed that you ought to shoot your carry ammo...since premium stuff is hyper expensive, and often hard to find in quantity, I've resorted to just using the WWB flat points.
As the .380 crisis seems to be easing, I may try to find enough Silver Tips or something to test hop. I'm not completely convinced that a .380 can be driven hard enough to give PENETRATION and EXPANSION.
Moon

Well I don't know about the penetration and expansion of .380, but then again I have never done any testing on it either. I am 100% convinced that effective shooting relies almost entirely on shot placement rather than caliber. I know we've all seen those 20/20 specials on how deadly a pellet rifle can be. I used to live next door to a guy who trained others in firearm tactics and close quarter knife combat. He would always say in reference to shooting "Aim small, miss small". I try to keep that in the forefront of my mind when at the range.

On the other hand, the .380 ammo crisis is insane even still. I was in several small towns yesterday and the Walmart Sporting Goods folks were telling me that they havent seen a box of .380 in 6 months! At the gun shops I went to they kept the .380 in safes and stared at me funny when I asked for it! They wanted to know where I was from and why I wanted it! HAHA! Then when I convinced them I wasn't a criminal they still wanted $30+ for a box of FMJ. Ridiculous!

halfmoonclip
11-20-2009, 09:40
Dunkler-
We have the same deal here on the .380 ammo; I have a little squirreled away, and shoot away my carry ammo from time to time.
As far as 'aim small, shoot small', you're preaching to the choir. However, in a self defense situation, aiming center mass and hoping for some hits is about as good as it gets. The advantage of the .380 over its fellow mouse guns is that a .380 is pretty much of a real caliber, even if it ain't a death ray. But it's the same old thing; better a LCP in your pocket than a .45 home in the safe.
Moon

supv26
12-26-2009, 18:16
"Positevlymaybe" where did you get your LCP from. I am on Long Island, NY and none of the dealers have any in stock yet. A few buddies of mine are still on waiting lists.

Check GB I have seen several listed for sale.

Glock30 Guy
12-26-2009, 18:22
Nice info. You are right, not a fun range gun. After testing it, I basically made it my back up to the back up...it's sits on my ankle when I can't strap something else onto my waist or I take it to the beach. Thats about it.

moncoacp
12-26-2009, 18:51
Taurus now has a similar weapon - TCP 738 that is made in the USA NOT Brazil and is supposed to be very reliable (a reference to the less than stellar roll out of the 9mm Slim 209 that is made in Brazil). The slide does lock back after the last round and it is comparable in size to the Ruger LCP. Is next on my list as long as the excellent reports continue.

halfmoonclip
12-26-2009, 21:35
Taurus now has a similar weapon - TCP 738 that is made in the USA NOT Brazil and is supposed to be very reliable (a reference to the less than stellar roll out of the 9mm Slim 209 that is made in Brazil). The slide does lock back after the last round and it is comparable in size to the Ruger LCP. Is next on my list as long as the excellent reports continue.

If you check Taurus' website, the dimensions are virtually identical to an LCP save for thickness; the new gun is substantially thicker than the Ruger.

It looks nice otherwise, and a working slide stop is a plus.

LCPs are showing up in shops locally, and a couple places have had 'em in the showcase a day or two before they go...

As regards the .380 problem, would you believe I loaded a box tonight with 102 gr cast lead bullets, cast by our rangemaster. First .380s to come out of my press in 25 years; it took a little scrounging to reassemble a full set of dies from my junk box.
Moon

buddah
12-27-2009, 09:03
Got mine from LGS in Long Island,N.Y for $350 OTD inc. xtra mag and box of hydrashocks.

natchezz
01-01-2010, 07:45
Also I thought getting the pin back in was a pain in the butt, hope that gets easier over time.

I just pull the pin out enough to remove the slide leaving it still in its hole. Seems to work fine for cleaning and not a hassle putting it back in when finished.

wingsprint
02-24-2010, 02:56
If you move fast, Buds has the LCP in stock for $299.
:supergrin:

Carlson1
02-24-2010, 03:04
If you move fast, Buds has the LCP in stock for $299.
:supergrin:

That is a whole lot less than I paid for mine. I am still carrying mine and added a CT Laser to it. :supergrin:

rdc2co
03-05-2010, 08:29
Try this:
http://www.concealmentconcepts.com/pocketpal.htm
I just bought one, but have not tried it yet. I'm told that it helps with controllability. Definitely helps with pocket concealment- looks like a wallet- and comfortable, too.

CWO USN
03-11-2010, 06:42
Has anyone look into what is best for LCP carry load? JHP or FMJ? I've been researching on the subject and found a number of "authorities" recommend JHP for carry load (personal defense). Better layer penetration and such. Just wondering if any other LCP owners have done material research or experimented on best carry load?

Thanks.

Glock30 Guy
03-11-2010, 06:51
I just traded my LCP in for another gun. I actually liked it but decided no more 380's for me. The size was nice, accurate under 20', and never a problem loading anything I put in it. I actually fire about 200 rounds and when I trade it in, I got $50 less than I paid for it which was a nice surprise. Dealer said he has people lined up to buy em.

halfmoonclip
03-11-2010, 07:55
Has anyone look into what is best for LCP carry load? JHP or FMJ? I've been researching on the subject and found a number of "authorities" recommend JHP for carry load (personal defense). Better layer penetration and such. Just wondering if any other LCP owners have done material research or experimented on best carry load?

Thanks.

There are three questions to be answered with LCP loads: Will it run in the gun, will it be effective, and can you get enough of the same load to test hop it for function.
A guy on another board did some penetration/expansion tests on Speer Gold Dots; he shot them into pork, both bare and covered with fabric. He got some degree of expansion regardless, decent penetration regardless, and the bonded Gold Dots didn't fragment. Reputedly the same guy designed this round as did the Black Talon. Better still, the Gold Dots are generally available, although they ain't cheap (NO .380s are cheap...), but $25-$29 @ 20 locally, or $50 @ 50 online. They have run 100% in mine, although it seems to gobble about anything including my own reloads. So I carry the Gold Dots. No use thinking it to death.
Moon
ETA-somebody, maybe Buffalo Bore, loads the same bullets to +P specs. This creates a dilemma; the bullet should be more effective at higher velocity, but it's hard to say what effect it may have on reliability, and you hate to pound the gun with too many of those boomers for whatever negative effect it may have. So I stick to the standard load.
M

CWO USN
03-11-2010, 08:48
Appreciate the feedback Moon!

halfmoonclip
03-11-2010, 19:30
Appreciate the feedback Moon!

I had been wrestling with the same issue, and had been carrying the WWB with the flat 'meplat' or nose on the bullet, running on the theory that the .380 didn't have enough power to penetrate and expand. This guy's research was less than scientific, but the Gold Dots were penetrating as well as my FMJs (I think he was actually using Winchester), but were at least giving some expansion. The .380 ain't a death ray, but it beats other pocket gun rounds all hollow.
Moon

Billet
03-16-2010, 19:59
I bought a Ruger LCP at the gun show yesterday and took it to the range today.

First of all, I promise NOT to tell you how many rounds I "sent flawlessly down the pipe", NOT to tell you what I paid "OTD", NOT to tell you that I shot 1" groups at 75 yards, NOT to refer to it as "my Elsie Pea", and finally I promise NOT to post pictures of my targets.

CONS:
The gun is not fun to shoot, definitely not something I will be taking to the range on a regular basis when I feel like having a good time.

The sights are very small and the sight radius is short, the gun is not very accurate.

Capacity is only 6 + 1.

Slide does not lock back when empty.

Only came with one mag (I would much rather have an extra mag than the cute little gun rug and lock that came with the gun).

Its a mouse caliber, .380 ACP.

PROS:
Very small, light and concealable.

Price is somewhat reasonable.

So far, it seems to be reliable.

All things considered, I am happy with the purchase. Its pretty much what I expected. I am not kidding myself by thinking this will be my primary carry gun. It will be used as a back up or when everything else is too large to carry. I plan to shoot another 100 rounds to make sure it is reliable then it will not be shot much, maybe 7 rounds a month (the mag + 1) just to make sure it still works and to maintain some degree of profieciency on my part.

I recommend this gun if you recognize its limitations and do not expect too much from it.

Gotta say I completely agree with your assessment. The LCP is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I still love it for what it is. Mine has 71 "flawless" (hehe) rounds through it, but I'm pretty much done shooting it for a while. My reliability plan is all about staying under 100 rounds.

halfmoonclip
03-16-2010, 20:25
For those of us who don't live too hazardous an existence, the LCP is probably 'gun enough' to at least help us beat a retreat from a threatening situation.
The LCP is an answer to some questions for CCW, not all of them.
Moon

ERASER
03-22-2010, 16:24
Try this:
http://www.concealmentconcepts.com/pocketpal.htm
I just bought one, but have not tried it yet. I'm told that it helps with controllability. Definitely helps with pocket concealment- looks like a wallet- and comfortable, too.

That looks very interesting.
The website doesn't seem to mention what material it is made from.

halfmoonclip
03-22-2010, 16:44
Billet, I was reflecting on your remarks about keeping the round count low on your LCP. While I don't think the little Ruger was meant for a bazillion rounds, neither are many others. In particular, tho' I always thought my now departed KelTec showed more signs of wear at a similar round count.
A bunch of us at our Club have LCPs, and the range officer has been casting bullets for us to reload. This brings the price of shooting .380s down to something reasonable, and, as a result, most of us have been shooting the crap our of our guns. Reliability has been excellent, and no one has broken anything to date.
For the beating an LCP gives your hand, I'm not sure I can stand to shoot enough rounds to wear out the gun. I'm somewhere north of 250 right now, but most of the other fellas have much more. And we have discovered, to our pleasure, it is actually possible to hit things with them.
Moon

Billet
03-23-2010, 23:02
That's very reassuring, Halfmoonclip. My PM9 didn't make it past 400 rounds before the barrel and slide needed replacement. I've come to view pocket pistols as short-lived firearms. If I get 3,000 rounds out of my LCP without anything breaking, I'll happily buy another.

halfmoonclip
03-24-2010, 15:02
That's very reassuring, Halfmoonclip. My PM9 didn't make it past 400 rounds before the barrel and slide needed replacement. I've come to view pocket pistols as short-lived firearms. If I get 3,000 rounds out of my LCP without anything breaking, I'll happily buy another.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kahrs. I had one that was problematic, but a couple buddies have the steel subcompact, and theirs work great and shoot straight.
As regards 3k rounds, when you get to 1k, it might be worth replacing the recoil spring.
Full disclosure, I picked up a spare LCP, and I'm going to shoot it 'till it acts up or something breaks. I'll carry the other one, and shoot it to some degree, particularly with the expensive Gold Dots.
Moon

dudester
04-02-2010, 20:11
Just bought two LCP's today, one for me and one for the wife. HAven't shot them yet but they are all cleaned up and ready to go. Bought a couple of Uncle Mike's pocket holsters and carried mine around today. It felt weird not having my G26 on my hip but I had it in the glove box just in case. ;) Seriously though, this little gun carries like a dream. I totally forgot I was even carrying it. Hopefully it is as reliable as the reports. I set out to buy a couple of KT P3AT's but our local guy had these for $299 so I had to go for it. Taking them to the range tomorrow. :)

P.S. My wife, a big .380 fan who is always on the lookout, found some PMC at Cabela's for $20 for 600 rounds. They are back ordered with a short wait time but it's better than nothing and I like the PMC stuff at the range. We have a very small stash of .380 which we will be digging into tomorrow so it's good timing. On a side note - we bought some 9mm and .40 WWB at Wal-MArt yesterday. :)

halfmoonclip
04-02-2010, 21:04
$20 for 600 rounds?
Moon

G27Chief
07-31-2010, 17:33
$20 for 600 rounds?
Moon

?????

Neal40
08-04-2010, 14:32
Just got mine 2 weeks ago. LCP is a great pocket gun all be it a violent shoting one! Cost a lot less than the PM Kahr series. 380 is in descent supply in SW Ohio. My wrist was sore from shooting 25 round of Corbon self protection ammo(Can't remeber the exact name DPx or something very pricey! $31) Once you get used to the "sights" you can put'em where you want'em. As I'm usually wearing dress shirt and thin slacks the LCP helps me carry regulary when I just can't or don't want to carry my HK45c or Para. Also just shot my dads 357mag LCR Saturday. Not as violent shoting as the LCP but with SD ammo has got some bite. Its just not a dress pant pocket gun. As to the ol'caliber agrument www.theboxotruth.com check it out lots of great caliber info.

Neal40
08-04-2010, 14:37
....also just got in my highnoon poket holster. Its well made and ships quick. The stickie material on the outside of the leather does work.

hackinpeat
08-04-2010, 14:41
I fired a mag out of a friend's... It's his main carry gun. I despised it, couldn't hardly shoot a guy in the arm from 7 paces haha. bought the G26, and couldn't be happier.

Narkcop
08-19-2010, 07:50
My PD just added Ruger to the approved off duty gun list because of the LCP. Many of the guys I work with are carrying LCP's as a backup and in some cases as a primary when undercover. All report excellent qualifications for such a small gun.

tx787
08-23-2010, 15:34
For a long time I was really skeptical about mouse guns. Then I realized there were times I was too lazy to grab a real gun and that I should give it some thought. I just got an LCP and have been very happy with my decision. It's super cheap ($289 plus 8.25% to the great state of Texas). I took it to the range and ran 100 FMJ and 20 Gold Dots through it with only 2 FTEs on the FMJ rounds.

My hands hurt afterward but it's not a range gun, it's a last resort defense gun, if it's ever used it's probably point and shoot and for that it's pretty darn optimal.

Now I want another one, or maybe the Kahr 380 to class it up a little...

The funny thing was I also had my Gen4 G17 with me at the range and when I picked it up after running out of 380 ammo it felt as big as a shotgun compared to the Ruger!

Paul7
08-25-2010, 21:10
My LCP went back to the factory 3 times before they gave up trying to fix it, they're supposed to be sending me a refund.

Paul7
08-30-2010, 07:40
From the Sig forum:

I had two. They had to go back to Ruger a combined total of 7 times (one 4, the other 3). I had various problems with feeding and extraction. The last straw was when the takedown pin on one broke with only a few hundred rounds through it. Both are gone now. One finally seemed to be running ok and I traded it back to where I bought it from. The other I made Ruger send me a check. They were real jerks about it too, after 7 trips back I would think they would want to part on good terms but they made me fight with them for weeks to get a refund. Last Rugers I will ever buy.

I never trusted either one enough to carry. I will stick with my Glock, Sig, or J frame.