Masonic Family? Does it skip a generation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Masonic Family? Does it skip a generation?

RED64CJ5
05-05-2008, 16:33
Many of us come from Masonic families. My grandfather and grandmother met as a result of his interest her leading the local Rainbow Girls back in '50. He went on to petition the lodge, later become WM, and obtain other offices in the district and York Rite bodies.

His two sons (my father and my uncle), are both Master Masons, yet are completely inactive. Partly I think they were more or less "enticed" by their very active father to join the fraternity (between DeMolay and being dragged to every event). Partly I just think they don't have the interest my grandfather has in the fraternity which is completely understandable since all men don't share the same interests. I ultimately believe they both possessed curiosity about their father's passion for the fraternity but didn't take full advantage of its privileges...

So why did I do it? I was never "enticed," or asked in any manner, shape or form, to join my grandfather's fraternity. A number of reasons went into play -- curiosity about what had been a part of my family for generations, curiosity about history, and the overall desire to obtain more knowledge. So, you could say that "family" came into play as to why I desired to become a Mason...but it was not a sole driver or purpose.

So I ask you, was it a family connection that led you to Masonry, and if so, how strong was that quest as a result of your family's involvement in the fraternity?

bassman-dan
05-05-2008, 19:51
My father and grandfather were Masons but died before I could know them.
My Mother often spoke of their Masonic involvement and that picqued my curiosity.
Also, two older brothers were very active but I was always too busy trying to make a living to spare the time.
Finally, with my kids grown and gone, I took the step. I deeply regret that I waited so long. It isn't anything like I imagined and I think a lot of men lose interest without ever really appreciating all that the fraternity has to offer.
The more I study and read, the more I find doors opened to me in the way of personal knowledge and growth... or light.
I realize that Masonry means different things to different people but I only recently came to appreciate what the full depth of the experience could be.
I wish you all the best in your travels.

jetboatdriver
05-05-2008, 20:35
Being more your father's age than yours I would suggest it is more about the generation than Masonry. The generation that followed the Greatest Generation didn't join anything.

I waited until about a year ago for several reasons, mostly in deference to my mother who was very opposed - she was opposed for all the wrong and warped ideas, but I waited none the less. That and my own kids got in the way.

RED64CJ5
05-06-2008, 09:37
Being more your father's age than yours I would suggest it is more about the generation than Masonry. The generation that followed the Greatest Generation didn't join anything.

I would say that's a fair statement. You can see this evident in other organizations that boomed after WWII and have slowly fizzled out in the late 70's and early 80's. I do feel we're starting to see more participation from the Baby Boomers but it's slow coming.. Not like the post-war boom of civic activities.

digitspaw
05-22-2008, 18:26
My late father was a Shriner and past President of the clowns at the Afifi Temple in Tacoma, WA.
Later, when he moved to Federal Way, WA. he became active in the Nile Temple in Seattle.
He passed before I could ask him about petitioning to join.

My younger brother was a Mason and he is also deceased.

Since I've recently relocated to Las Vegas from San Diego, I don't know any Masons in Nevada. Probably a couple right here in GT. The one gentleman who is a Mason and was a business acquaintance, has retired and I don't have his personal contact information. We had talked about it the last time I lived here, but I was just about ready to move back to San Diego. That was two years ago.

Go figure. Now I'm back in the blistering desert.

machinisttx
05-22-2008, 19:32
My late father was a Shriner and past President of the clowns at the Afifi Temple in Tacoma, WA.
Later, when he moved to Federal Way, WA. he became active in the Nile Temple in Seattle.

Since I've recently relocated to Las Vegas from San Diego, I don't know any Masons in Nevada. Probably a couple right here in GT. The one gentleman who is a Mason and was a business acquaintance, has retired and I don't have his personal contact information. We had talked about it the last time I lived here, but I was just about ready to move back to San Diego. That was two years ago.

Google for Grand Lodge of (insert your state here). The Grand Lodge website should have lodge listings by city or zip code. Find a local lodge and find out when they meet(this may be listed on the Grand Lodge website). Show up 30 minutes to an hour before their stated meeting, and tell them what's on your mind over the dinner usually served prior to stated meetings. I think you'll get a petition. :cool:

jetboatdriver
05-22-2008, 22:16
Paw,

If what Machinistx offered doesn't work let us know and we will get you the hook up in Vegas. Not a problem. Do what he suggested, but make it an hour at our lodge and you will most likely get a free dinner AND a petition.

PM me if you want me to look for a Vegas contact for you.

digitspaw
05-23-2008, 09:21
Thanks, guys!

I'll discuss this first with my family and take it from there.

Paw:wavey: