Sleep deprivation is a wonderful thing... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deprivation is a wonderful thing...

deadday
05-06-2008, 09:36
What are you guilty of doing while sleep deprived? I'll start with a few, one from today...

-Saluting the Battalion Commander while wearing civies, unshaved, with a cigarette in my hand, bags under my eyes that could hide a small child, and him laughing, saluting, and telling me 'to get some damned sleep soldier!' (this morning, 4 days now with no sleep and no pain meds)

-Wondering why I couldn't load my M4 mags, then realizing I grabbed boxes of 7.62....

-Calling the barracks to attention after mistaking Spc rank for the SCO (light col.)

-putting an ACU top on over DCU pants (we had jsut started to transition so we had BDUs, ACUs, and DCUs..

deadday
05-07-2008, 18:28
C'mon nobody? I'm sure a couple of you guys have been through RIP/SFAS...I've heard plenty of good sleep dep. stories from there....

drew

ranger88
05-08-2008, 14:56
The dumbest thing that I ever did due to sleep deprivation was during Florida Phase of Ranger School. We had just crosssed a rope bridge over a large stream (small river) and I was pulling far-side security while the last few troops crossed and the ropes were pulled. We had been wet, starving and sometimes bordering hypothermic in addition to having had little to no sleep. I leaned against a tree with my M-16 in my hands and promptly fell asleep. I awoke to a nudge and a whisper from one of my classmates saying that we were moving out. I took a sluggish step (we were still in a waist deep swamp) and then couldn't move. It's night time so I can't see anything that's directly impeding my progress, but I just can't seem to move. I'm starting to freak out on the inside a little when I realize that I seem to be help back along my left shoulder. So I touch my left shoulder and realize that my LBE is being pulled downward on that side. I find the point of greatest resistance and it is where my ranger-assist (dumbie cord) is attached to my LBE at the left shoulder ring. Needless to say, on the other end of the dumbie cord is my M-16... that I happen to be standing on. I used the dumbie cord to fish my M-16 out of the mud and water feeling like a complete idiot the entire time. A hard lesson learned, luckily in training.

deadday
05-08-2008, 16:38
The dumbest thing that I ever did due to sleep deprivation was during Florida Phase of Ranger School. We had just crosssed a rope bridge over a large stream (small river) and I was pulling far-side security while the last few troops crossed and the ropes were pulled. We had been wet, starving and sometimes bordering hypothermic in addition to having had little to no sleep. I leaned against a tree with my M-16 in my hands and promptly fell asleep. I awoke to a nudge and a whisper from one of my classmates saying that we were moving out. I took a sluggish step (we were still in a waist deep swamp) and then couldn't move. It's night time so I can't see anything that's directly impeding my progress, but I just can't seem to move. I'm starting to freak out on the inside a little when I realize that I seem to be help back along my left shoulder. So I touch my left shoulder and realize that my LBE is being pulled downward on that side. I find the point of greatest resistance and it is where my ranger-assist (dumbie cord) is attached to my LBE at the left shoulder ring. Needless to say, on the other end of the dumbie cord is my M-16... that I happen to be standing on. I used the dumbie cord to fish my M-16 out of the mud and water feeling like a complete idiot the entire time. A hard lesson learned, luckily in training.

How long did it take to clean your rifle after that exercise?:supergrin:

drew

ranger88
05-09-2008, 06:28
The M-16's that we had at the time were old ones of the A1 variety that had surely already gone through hell already. To clean it I swished it around in the water that we were constantly in working the bolt several times after dropping the mag (not that I was going to risk trying to fire any of the blanks that we were carrying). I gave it a real cleaning once we put into our defensive position at daybreak. Priorities of work you know...

bearshoegun
05-16-2008, 15:54
In jungle warfare school, Panama, I killed a sloth with my M16 that was climbing down the tree I was resting on. I thought the sloth was the enemy. Butt stroked it to death.

At Stewart I drove the 1SG into the ditch with my Deuce and a half truck that was full of chow. He was also asleep and I thought he was going to be pissed at me but all he said was " I'm glad I got a new pack of smokes!"

In Desert Storm I drove a 5 ton full of Demolitions into thy back end of a M1 Abrams in the convoy. The DATS where pissed.

I got a bunch of them but have to remember them. Cool topic though.

pisc1024
05-22-2008, 09:20
I always like falling asleep on the night movements, then when the column halts I run into the rucksack of the guy in front of me, that's friggn' awesome when you have nods on!!! Having quiet whispered conversations with the trees around you about the black and gold plans when your in your patrol base as BTL is also very fun too..

Fallguy173
05-22-2008, 21:02
Sleep deprivation. What a wonderful thing.:rofl:

I once stood on the end of a runway wearing NVGs staring at the stars and hallucinating. They had to drag me back to my truck. I was starting to have fun in the field, and I don't think they approved.

g.c54
05-23-2008, 19:49
commented to my WO that he had bought the same pants as me (while in uniform)

saw a racoon wearing a superman costume in my trench

one of my buddies pissed his pants, he said it was due to sleep deprivation, but who really knows

10-32
05-31-2008, 22:42
One time in AIT @ Ft Sam it was kinda cool out. So anyway, I made it all the way down to the school house before I realized I had no ACU shirt, just my field jacket.
Woops. :whistling:
Luckily I just wore the field jacket all day and nobody important busted me on it.
Sure as hell sucked when it warmed up later, but oh well

fourdeuce2
06-05-2008, 09:58
I was driving a jeep for M60 Tank Gunnery one time, driving one of the Range Officers around, and we pulled up beside the tank just starting the course. I was REALLY tired and sleepy and the lieutenant beside me was completely asleep. I let my foot slip off the brake a bit and we rollled forward until we were even with the muzzle of the main gun. When they fired, both of us woke up quickly.:wow::rofl: